Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Miladiator

Dogs In Islam

Rate this topic

A friend of mine, who I think its fair to say is a dog lover, recently asked me why dogs are considered najis is Islam. I did a bit of research myself and found out that the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) said keeping a dog in the house prevents angels entering the house as well as one or two qiraats being deducted from a persons good deeds a day, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway the question I have is, though keeping a dog outside of the house is perfectly do-able, there is however of course going to be a time when that dog is a puppy and may need warmth. Obviously a kennel would surely be the most obvious solution but nevertheless, the same way a baby is kept with its mum and dad when young and then gets its own room when it grows a puppy surely needs to be near its owner as well.

Thanks for reading (and responding)

Guest LadyNadine

A friend of mine, who I think its fair to say is a dog lover, recently asked me why dogs are considered najis is Islam. I did a bit of research myself and found out that the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) said keeping a dog in the house prevents angels entering the house as well as one or two qiraats being deducted from a persons good deeds a day, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway the question I have is, though keeping a dog outside of the house is perfectly do-able, there is however of course going to be a time when that dog is a puppy and may need warmth. Obviously a kennel would surely be the most obvious solution but nevertheless, the same way a baby is kept with its mum and dad when young and then gets its own room when it grows a puppy surely needs to be near its owner as well.

Thanks for reading (and responding)

Yes. I heard the same thing. If want a dog, you have to provide the same thing you have. A house from the rain, food, and warmth. I used to have a dog myself.

(salam) (bismillah)

Dogs are social animals that crave affection. It is better not to keep dogs at all because they can't be given the love/attention they crave if they are kept separate from you. Sorry to anyone that wants a dog, but if you really like dogs I am sure you will realize that an Islamic home is not where they belong. However, if you must keep a dog for protection or hunting I recommend you try to spend some time with it so it doesn't hate you.

Dogs are a test. They are the most popular and loved animals. They are the perfect protectors and friends. And I think this is why they are not allowed, it is a test to see if we can resist such amazing animals. Their are thousands of animals, only a few are najis. Usually the ones which everyone wants as a pet. You don't see people keeping zebras or ant eaters as pets do you?

Salams

There is a narration which I'd like to add to this discussion:

Imam Jafar Sadiq said, "Whoever draws a picture or takes responsibility of a dog is outside the folds of Islam". Imam was questioned, "Wouldn't this affect a lot of people (as it implies, they have all gone astray)?". Imam replied, "That's not what I mean. My saying, "whoever draws a picture" is a reference to anyone who establishes/nominates a religion other than that of Allah and invites people towards it. And my saying, "whoever takes responsibility of a dog" is a reference to those who take responsibility of our enemies (who hate us) and feed them and quench their thirst. Such are the people who are outside the folds of Islam".

- Ma'ani ul Akhbar - Sheikh Saduq - Vol1 Chapter 161. Pg 227. The meaning of the narration, "Whoever draws picture or takes responsibility of a dog.." - Al-kisa Publishers, Karachi

Dogs are a test. They are the most popular and loved animals. They are the perfect protectors and friends. And I think this is why they are not allowed, it is a test to see if we can resist such amazing animals. Their are thousands of animals, only a few are najis. Usually the ones which everyone wants as a pet. You don't see people keeping zebras or ant eaters as pets do you?

:cry: I really really want to believe this explanation - have you ever seen those newborn Golden Retriever or Collie pups; they're the cutest creatures that you've ever set eyes upon.

Edited by Peace!

:cry: I really really want to believe this explanation - have you ever seen those newborn Golden Retriever or Collie pups; they're the cutest creatures that you've ever set eyes upon.

Awww...you can keep a cat. They make awesome pets too :wub:

I think maybe you've all misunderstood my question, that was my fault, I didn't word my question properly. My question was this:

Let's suppose I have a dog, or you have a dog, or whoever has a dog lol (as long as they are Muslim and have the dog for whatever acceptable purpose). That dog according to Islam, CANNOT LIVE INSIDE YOUR HOUSE. Now when that dog is a puppy and needs looking after until it grows how should you deal with it?

I think maybe you've all misunderstood my question, that was my fault, I didn't word my question properly. My question was this:

Let's suppose I have a dog, or you have a dog, or whoever has a dog lol (as long as they are Muslim and have the dog for whatever acceptable purpose). That dog according to Islam, CANNOT LIVE INSIDE YOUR HOUSE. Now when that dog is a puppy and needs looking after until it grows how should you deal with it?

It will be fine with it's mother outside. The mother will protect it and take care of it.

E-mail najaf.org they tare usually return pretty fast.

Edited by Maitham

If someone reading this wishes to keep a dog for the purpose of protection then they should know that geese can also fulfill that role if you keep them in your yard. They are not najis, rather halal birds (taste great when baked to a crisp!), and they look very beautiful as well. Like dogs, they also grow a bond of affection with their master. They will scream, chase and bite any stranger who enters your house but there is no rabies involved. On the downside, their droppings can quickly create a mess so your house should have a lawn or yard for them. It is said that Hz. Ali (as) had geese in his house in Kufa.

Another beautiful and noble pet that is often overlooked is the pigeon. It is lovable like a cat. I've always been a fan of dogs, cats too, but now I find myself content with geese and pigeons. The only purpose left open now is guarding against or foiling snakes that enter your house which a cat is efficient at. I hear that peacocks can do that job.

It will be fine with it's mother outside. The mother will protect it and take care of it.

I was actually talking about a case in which you buy the puppy.

E-mail najaf.org they tare usually return pretty fast.

That's actually a good idea I can't believe I didn't think about that already lol. Thanks.

If someone reading this wishes to keep a dog for the purpose of protection then they should know that geese can also fulfill that role if you keep them in your yard. They are not najis, rather halal birds (taste great when baked to a crisp!), and they look very beautiful as well. Like dogs, they also grow a bond of affection with their master. They will scream, chase and bite any stranger who enters your house but there is no rabies involved. On the downside, their droppings can quickly create a mess so your house should have a lawn or yard for them. It is said that Hz. Ali (as) had geese in his house in Kufa.

Another beautiful and noble pet that is often overlooked is the pigeon. It is lovable like a cat. I've always been a fan of dogs, cats too, but now I find myself content with geese and pigeons. The only purpose left open now is guarding against or foiling snakes that enter your house which a cat is efficient at. I hear that peacocks can do that job.

LOOL