Sign in to follow this  
Goku

What's Your Ethnicity?

Rate this topic

African American

(Since I've been wearing hijab strangers assume I'm not American, lol.)

I wear hijab and I'm always asked what country I am from, and I just say I'm American. Then they say, Yes, but which country did your family originally come from, and I tell them all my ancestors are American. Native American back to the days when Europeans came to this country. :)

[i was born and live in the USA]

I wear hijab and I'm always asked what country I am from, and I just say I'm American. Then they say, Yes, but which country did your family originally come from, and I tell them all my ancestors are American. Native American back to the days when Europeans came to this country. :)

I can relate. I don't like being asked where I'm from just because I have a Hijab, even if I'm coming from Immigrant parents . It just causes trouble.. nothing personal. But trouble like language barriers . For instance, they assume if my parents are Iraqi that I fully understand 100% arabic, including all dilaects , egyptian, algerian, lebanese ,(which I don't) Then they speak to me in their language and I just end up nodding my head, pretending I understood lol

Edited by -Enlightened

I think situations like these give you an opportunity to find out which countries did their families originally come from!

Edited by Marbles

I am Vietnamese with Chinese ancestry/blood.

Wish the vietnamese language was still written and spoken in Chinese, but unfortunately it is now in Latin Alphabet due to the long period of french colonization. And sometimes I wonder what is the Vietnamese culture cause everytime I see the Native Chinese's culture. Both seem exactly the same, no less or more lol. So I question the fact, why my people don't just join mainland China since 3/4 of us are Chinese by blood anyway xD

Ahh and we're just like Korea too in the sense of how we think alike. And speaking of Koreans, about half of them actually originated from Vietnam which Vietnamese people originated from China ^-^. Just found that out because one of the South Korean President openly discussed about it and said his ancestry is Vietnamese.

But nonetheless, I am proud to be East Asian!

Edited by narcotic_ice

100 % Pure Persian. My ancestors were Zoroastrians.

My ancestry is from a province in Southern Iran called Fars, this is where Farsi as a language originated (hence the name) and then spread to the rest of the Iranian Plateau and Afghanistan and Fars was also from where Persian empire and civilisation started.

I am proud of my ancestry!

Edited by Zendegi

100 % Pure Persian. My ancestors were Zoroastrians.

My ancestry is from a province in Southern Iran called Fars, this is where Farsi as a language originated (hence the name) and then spread to the rest of the Iranian Plateau and Afghanistan and Fars was also from where Persian empire and civilisation started.

I am proud of my ancestry!

Good thing we have a true persian on the deck as I've heard true ethnic persians are becoming extinct. The majority of true ethnic persians is relatively low is what I heard. Correct me if I'm wrong lol. Edited by narcotic_ice

Good thing we have a true persian on the deck as I've heard true ethnic persians are becoming extinct. The majority of true ethnic persians is relatively low is what I heard. Correct me if I'm wrong lol.

Persians are becoming extinct? No way brother.

There are around 70 million Persians in the world. Persians are like half of the Iranian population.

Also the word Persian historically used to be used for anyone whose ancestry used to come from a province in Southern Iran, called Fars, which used to called Pars from where the name Persian came. When the Persian Empire came, people became linguistically and culturally assimilated in Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan and started speaking the language and so they all became Persian. I am practically the more historically original Persian.

Bit of some history.

Fârs, or known in Old Persian as Pârsâ, is the original homeland of the ancient Persians. The native name of the Persian language is Pârsi. Persia and Persian both derive from the Hellenized form Περσίς Persis of the root word Pârs. The Old Persian word was Pârsâ.

The etymology of the word "Persian" (From Latin Persia, from Ancient Greek Περσίς (Persis)), found in many ancient names associated with Iran, is derived from the historical importance of this region.

518px-Pars_attractions.jpg

map-iran-fars-large.jpg

Edited by Zendegi

I'm Afghan (Pashtun specifically). 

I've been confused for other ethnicities, some of which have been (somewhat) close and others not even remotely close. I've been mistaken for: Russian, Norwegian, German,Turkish, Circassian, Iranian, Dutch, Finnish, Kurdish and a couple of other things. It doesn't bother me because not everyone is familiar with every culture/ethnicity and it's understandable that people would make mistakes. It also doesn't bother me if people ask what ethnicity I am because it's quite normal to be curious about things you aren't familiar with. 

My family is of Iranian origin (Mashad) and settled down in Turkey hundred years ago and later moved to Germany.

That's interesting. Was migration from this region of Iran to Turkey common during this time period (early 1900s)? While living in Denmark, I had a friend with this same background (except that her family later settled in Denmark). 

That's interesting. Was migration from this region of Iran to Turkey common during this time period (early 1900s)? While living in Denmark, I had a friend with this same background (except that her family later settled in Denmark).

As far as I know it was due to WW1 and the time before (war between Ottomans and Persians) why people settled to Istanbul or even to Berlin.