Sign in to follow this  
Goku

What's Your Ethnicity?

Rate this topic

Salam.

Has it happened to anyone that their appearance totally differs from their usual ethnical facial featurres?

and that people have expressed surprise on knowing their ethnicity ?

My mother always taken for an Iranian in Iran, and also taken for an Iranian at Pakistani airports, almost always.

An Afghan friend of mine always mistaken for a Spaniard or Greek.

In other words your ethnicity is a salad of European genes!

Probably. But given that my ancestors were mostly illiterate and poor subsistence farmers, factory workers, and hired laborers, there is a very good chance that I also carry African, Asian, and Native American genes. Some members of my family are dark completed - they look Greek or Spanish but less hairy. Others have the classic Northern European blue eyes and blonde hair, but not the height that usually goes with it. I look Eastern European. I've been mistaken for Hungarian, Russian, Bosnian, Serbian, and even once Turkish. Interestingly, I have no verified ancestors from any of those places.

Salamun 'Alaykum,

Many many moons ago, I attended the local masjid for an Eid (ul-Fitr, if memory serves...).I was approached by a young gentleman who asked if I would be willing to give an elderly relative of his a ride home. I replied in the affirmative, and before I knew it I had an elderly (Uzbeki, as it turned out) gentleman in the passenger's seat, eager to get home...

Apparently, most everyone assumed that I was Russian at that Masjid, so of course it was also assumed that I spoke Russian Fluently and therefore would be the most suitable person to give this old man a ride home. Both assumptions were completely false, but I nevertheless managed to get the poor old man home in one piece. I learned lots of Russian in that ten minute car ride...

WS 

I'm from Iraq and have a mix of both Arabic and Kurdish origins, but mostly Arab. My dad is a full Arab from Basrah and my mom is half Kurdish and half Arab who's maternal side of her family(my grandmother) originate from Sulamania.

Aren't we all from clay? I never understood this ethnicity thing lol. What makes us arab? What makes us persian? What makes us asian? Isn't it all coincidence? Does it really matter in the end? Will it affect our lives as Muslims? I have more questions but can't find the proper english words..

Man, I'll just look for a book about this, might be interesting.

Since you are unregistered, I couldn't like your post. I had to quote it to say I like what you said.

Prophet Adam AS was from clay. We are all from clay originally. :)

Yea, ik about prophet Adam but does that mean we from clay? :S. Or you meant something else? Edited by qwefs

Pakistani with Arab roots.

Have you guys ever been confused with the 'wrong' ethnicity? Probably, yes. Most people thought my brothers are either Turks or Arabs. My best-friend believed I was Iranian when we first met (and was shocked when I started to talk Punjabi with her :P)

It's always fun when people start guessing where you're originally from. Though, in the end, it rarely matters- people around me are just curious about other cultures, it's not really important for forming friendships :)

Wa salam.