Sign in to follow this  
Goku

What's Your Ethnicity?

Rate this topic

I'm from Iraq and have a mix of both Arabic and Kurdish origins, but mostly Arab. My dad is a full Arab from Basrah and my mom is half Kurdish and half Arab who's maternal side of her family(my grandmother) originate from Sulamania.

Aren't we all from clay? I never understood this ethnicity thing lol. What makes us arab? What makes us persian? What makes us asian? Isn't it all coincidence? Does it really matter in the end? Will it affect our lives as Muslims? I have more questions but can't find the proper english words..

Man, I'll just look for a book about this, might be interesting.

Since you are unregistered, I couldn't like your post. I had to quote it to say I like what you said.

Prophet Adam AS was from clay. We are all from clay originally. :)

Yea, ik about prophet Adam but does that mean we from clay? :S. Or you meant something else? Edited by qwefs

Pakistani with Arab roots.

Have you guys ever been confused with the 'wrong' ethnicity? Probably, yes. Most people thought my brothers are either Turks or Arabs. My best-friend believed I was Iranian when we first met (and was shocked when I started to talk Punjabi with her :P)

It's always fun when people start guessing where you're originally from. Though, in the end, it rarely matters- people around me are just curious about other cultures, it's not really important for forming friendships :)

Wa salam.

African American

(Since I've been wearing hijab strangers assume I'm not American, lol.)

I wear hijab and I'm always asked what country I am from, and I just say I'm American. Then they say, Yes, but which country did your family originally come from, and I tell them all my ancestors are American. Native American back to the days when Europeans came to this country. :)

[i was born and live in the USA]

I wear hijab and I'm always asked what country I am from, and I just say I'm American. Then they say, Yes, but which country did your family originally come from, and I tell them all my ancestors are American. Native American back to the days when Europeans came to this country. :)

I can relate. I don't like being asked where I'm from just because I have a Hijab, even if I'm coming from Immigrant parents . It just causes trouble.. nothing personal. But trouble like language barriers . For instance, they assume if my parents are Iraqi that I fully understand 100% arabic, including all dilaects , egyptian, algerian, lebanese ,(which I don't) Then they speak to me in their language and I just end up nodding my head, pretending I understood lol

Edited by -Enlightened

I think situations like these give you an opportunity to find out which countries did their families originally come from!

Edited by Marbles

I am Vietnamese with Chinese ancestry/blood.

Wish the vietnamese language was still written and spoken in Chinese, but unfortunately it is now in Latin Alphabet due to the long period of french colonization. And sometimes I wonder what is the Vietnamese culture cause everytime I see the Native Chinese's culture. Both seem exactly the same, no less or more lol. So I question the fact, why my people don't just join mainland China since 3/4 of us are Chinese by blood anyway xD

Ahh and we're just like Korea too in the sense of how we think alike. And speaking of Koreans, about half of them actually originated from Vietnam which Vietnamese people originated from China ^-^. Just found that out because one of the South Korean President openly discussed about it and said his ancestry is Vietnamese.

But nonetheless, I am proud to be East Asian!

Edited by narcotic_ice

100 % Pure Persian. My ancestors were Zoroastrians.

My ancestry is from a province in Southern Iran called Fars, this is where Farsi as a language originated (hence the name) and then spread to the rest of the Iranian Plateau and Afghanistan and Fars was also from where Persian empire and civilisation started.

I am proud of my ancestry!

Edited by Zendegi