Sign in to follow this  
Goku

What's Your Ethnicity?

Rate this topic

Aren't we all from clay? I never understood this ethnicity thing lol. What makes us arab? What makes us persian? What makes us asian? Isn't it all coinsidence? Does it really matter in the end? Will it affect our lives as Muslims? I have more questions but can't find the proper english words..

Man, I'll just look for a book about this, might be interesting.

“O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into NATIONS and TRIBES, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allaah is that (believer) who has taqwa (i.e. is one of the muttaqeen – the pious). Verily Allaah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.” (Sura Al-Hujuraat # 49, ayah #13)

Duck, with a bit of panda from my great grandmother's pet lizzard.

Nah, in all seriousness I have no ethnicity. I'm American.

How come anyone not have an ethnicity, even if it's so mixed as to have lost its claim on labels?

sami :lol:

but your imam of the time is not proud of his shia..at least, not yet.

He is very proud of his :Shia , because his :Shia wait for him patiently , prepare for him with passion , desire to please him in all actions , and know very well the plans of his enemies covertly and openly.

He is happy with his :Shia , because no matter what challenges face them , they never submit to their whims and surrender.

I pray you are such a :Shia and that your :Imam (as) is pleased with you .

ws

Edited by hameedeh
Edited the quote of another member's removed post.

How come anyone not have an ethnicity, even if it's so mixed as to have lost its claim on labels?

I'm not even sure what ethnicity means. My ancestors were probably of mostly various European origin. There is strong evidence of relatively recent German input and hundreds of years ago an Englishman. Family names indicate a reasonable probability of some Welsh and possibly some Russian. Nothing else is known.

But isn't ethnicity also related to how and where a person is raised; Where his roots are, so to speak? I was born in the Midwest to a mother who was raised in a military family. I was raised in Appalachia (district 12 if you relate better to dystopian fiction than to US geography). I've made my home in the southeast all my adult life, but I don't have strong ties to any place. I'm a potted plant, not rootless, just don't have roots that tie me to a place.

Or, as I said before, I'm American.

I'm not even sure what ethnicity means. My ancestors were probably of mostly various European origin. There is strong evidence of relatively recent German input and hundreds of years ago an Englishman. Family names indicate a reasonable probability of some Welsh and possibly some Russian. Nothing else is known.

But isn't ethnicity also related to how and where a person is raised; Where his roots are, so to speak? I was born in the Midwest to a mother who was raised in a military family. I was raised in Appalachia (district 12 if you relate better to dystopian fiction than to US geography). I've made my home in the southeast all my adult life, but I don't have strong ties to any place. I'm a potted plant, not rootless, just don't have roots that tie me to a place.

Or, as I said before, I'm American.

In other words your ethnicity is a salad of European genes!

But then hardy anyone alive today will have claim to a clear cut ethnicity because most of us have had different racial/ethnic inputs through marriage, which then makes ethnicity a lose concept based in our age almost entirely on linguistic basis.

To be close to reality, I like to call modern ethnicities 'ethno-lingual' groupings.

It remains a fact that the concept of 'ethnicity' itself is a relatively modern concoction. The more realistic groupings are based on race. If I were to label myself, for instance, I'd call me a mix of Aryan and Dravidian blood with a smattering of Semitic genes. That's racial label. But, by our modern standards, my ethnic label would be something like a mix of Sindhi and Arab blood. To complicate the matter further, both my ethnic labels defy modern linguistic classification because I or my family speak neither Sindhi nor Arabic! Since I'm a native speaker of Saraiki language (and so are my parents), I belong to the Saraiki ethno-lingual group.

Confounding? Yes.