Rate this topic

Salam,

I thought of discussing a topic that was not talked about in any of these forums since I felt it was a very important issue to discuss. Laziness & Procrastination in the eyes of Islams and ahlu el beit. How to deal with and how to overcome it? What are the seeds of Procrastination? And is it truly a product of the shaytan?

Now this is what I think of all of this.

1. Due to Procastination and laziness we tend to loose out on many opportunities that is coming our way.

2. We become less active physically, spiritually and even mentally.

3. Due to lack of productivity we loose the essence in our life. We become empty inside with no meaning since we spend our time doing nothing and accomplishing nothing.

4. We never reach our potential. We keep on putting off doing the same thing over and over again so we literally end up getting stuck in the same square NEVER moving forward. And due to that we feel unhappy about ourselves and we start getting depressed about the state that we are in.

5. YES we do know what the solution to our problem is..WE KNOW that we have to get up and do whatever needs to be done to move forward in our life..not only to make ourselves better but also to improve the quality of our life whether it is spiritually, physically, mentally or financially.

6. We are our own obstacles so how can we overcome that?? And how can we defeat the "Laziness syndrome" ??

7. What did the prophet P.B.U.H say about this? What did ahlu el beit say about this?

8. How can we use Islam to help us overcome this and live a better life?

All of these interesting questions and statements I felt I should share with you so we can open our eyes to this issue. If you look around to see many of the wealthy people or people with power worked very hard to get to where they are..yes there is exceptions and yes there are certain people that abused power and got rich just by doing nothing but that is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about the people that got there by working hard. Why are we as muslims still lacking behind unable to produce great things and to get to great places? It is because we are unwilling to work hard and put all our energies toward reaching our goals. So how can we change that??

What do you guys think??

“Everyone who is being overtaken by death asks for more time while everyone who still has time makes excuses for procrastination” Imam Ali

Excellent Topic!!

Procrastination and Laziness is the curse of present Muslim World. Obviously Islam And Ahlulbayt teaches us anti- procrastinism and disciplined life.

05 prayers with timings, fasting, Hajj, Hawza, education in continuam, self exploration etc are the basics of our faith and anti-dote to procrastination.

Simple life as oppose to lavish life style deals better with laziness.

I give you a simple example, it's very difficult to get up for Fajr prayer from a comfy and cosy bed and especially when stomach is full with lavish food. On the other hand it's easy to wake up from a simple bedding on the floor and stomach half full.

I think, i have enough worldly achievements but i still suffer from procrastination. If i overcome my procrastination, i can achieve better in both worlds.

It's all about motivation, sacrifices ( luxuries)and bringing balance and harmony in one's life.

Islam also teaches us, not be too harsh to ourselves but just a balanced life. it's very easy to put things in words but very difficult in real practice.Hence it is achievable through motivation, team work and learning about effective management of time ( again basics of Islam). We are unfortunate muslim Ummah who do not practice these golden rules.

Yes it is definetly a curse but i don't think there is a strong link between living a lavish life and being lazy. Many people live a lavish life yet they work very hard to get to where they are. So my question is what do u think is the root to the procrastination and laziness problem?

Guest Jebreil

(bismillah)

(salam)

One who has solid faith is never lazy in serving it - one who has faith in God is never lazy and never labours in sin.

اللهم هب لنا ایمانا قیما

(wasalam)

**Faith is only one part of the equation..the second part of the equation is motivation. Also faith is not only having faith in Allah Subhanu but also to have faith in yourself and in the future that lies ahead of you. These variables are all interrelated and I believe cannot be torn apart. That is why there is no such thing as a quick antidote to laziness and procrastination.

(bismillah)

(salam)

One who has solid faith is never lazy in serving it - one who has faith in God is never lazy and never labours in sin.

اللهم هب لنا ایمانا قیما

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

MashAllah such wise words, and absolutely agreed!

اَللّهُمَّ إِنِّيْ أَعُوْذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْعِجْزِ ، وَالْكَسْلِ، وَالْجُبْنِ ، وَالْهَرَمِ ، وَالْبُخْلِ ، وَأَعُوْذُ بِكَ مِنْعَذَابِ الْقَبْرِ، وَأَعُوْذُ بِكَ مِنْ فِتْنَةِ الْمَحْيَا وَالْمَمَاتِ

O Allah, I seek refuge in You from weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, anxiety and sorrow, and I seek refuge in You from the torments of grave, and I seek refuge in You from the trials and tribulations of life and death.

The prophet P.B.U.H used to always say that for protection against laziness.

Edited by Rose.Garden

Salaam Alaykum, 

Thanks for posting this topic. I procrastinate a lot and feel very lazy. I don't know how to get out of this rut! 

Are there any Islamic tips/hadith for overcoming laziness/procrastination? There are so many non-islamic Self help books, what do the Ahlul Bayt [pbut] have to advice us regarding this?

Ma'salaam.