In the Name of God بسم الله

History Of Khums

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

I’d like your views on at which point khums ceased to be collected. I won’t paste them here, but we’re all well aware of the hadiths stating how the Imams used to collect khums from their shiah, and how it used to be collected in the Prophet’s (pbuh) time.

Who stopped it? Did the Caliphs suddenly stop the collection of khums, and if so, what was their reason? Since some sahabas are seen to be shias (Salman, Miqdad etc) did they continue to pay khums but to Imam Ali in secret, much like the shias of later?

Is there a detailed history of khums available? There appears to be a much used overview of khums used by many books and sites which provides some details as to why khums should be paid:

http://www.imamreza.net/eng/imamreza.php?id=7694

It’s worth noting that the hadith from Bukhari is taken out of context:

Narration used:

Once a delegation from Bani `Abdu 'l-Qays came to Medina and said to the Prophet, “We cannot come to you except in the harâm months [when warfare is forbidden], and there are between us and you the unbelievers of Muzar. Therefore, please give us some advice that we may give to those whom we have left behind and that we may enter the Paradise [by acting on it ourselves].” The Prophet advised them to believe in One God, establish prayer, pay zakât, fast in the month of Ramadhân, and “to pay khums (one-fifth) of whatever you gain.” The circumstances of the Bani `Abdu 'l-Qays —they were weak and small in number, and were thus prevented from travelling safely to Medina— leaves no room for interpreting the application of khums in the above hadith on spoils of war exclusively.

In Sahih Bukhari

Volume 4, Book 53, Number 327 :

Narrated by Ibn 'Abbas

The delegates of the tribe of 'Abdul-Qais came and said, "O Allah's Apostle! We are from the tribe of Rabi'a, and there is the infidels of the tribe of Mudar intervening between you and us, so we cannot come to you except in the Sacred Months. So please order us some instructions that we may apply it to ourselves and also invite our people whom we left behind us to observe as well." The Prophet said, "I order you (to do) four (things) and forbid you (to do) four: I order you to believe in Allah, that is, to testify that None has the right to be worshipped but Allah (the Prophet pointed with his hand); to offer prayers perfectly; to pay Zakat; to fast the month of Ramadan, and to pay the Khumus (i.e. one-fifth) of the war booty to Allah and I forbid you to use Ad-dubba', An-Naqir, Al-Hantam and Al-Muzaffat (i.e. utensils used for preparing alcoholic drinks).

“A Khums (The Islamic Tax) by S M Rizvi” which the above is based on even puts the reference to Bukhari as from vol. 4, in which the hadith is from the chapter titled ‘One Fifth of Booty’.

In any case, was khums stopped in the time of Imams Ali, Hassan and Hussain? If not, how was it facilitated?

• Forum Administrators

There is a translation difference between the two source on the word ghana'im. Sunni sources translate and interpret this to solely mean war booty, while Arabic lexicons point out that it may also mean ores and minerals in general; wealth beyond war booty.

Post #14 in this thread will be useful to you: http://www.shiachat....34964671-khums/

Edited by Qa'im

There is a translation difference between the two source on the word ghana'im. Sunni sources translate and interpret this to solely mean war booty, while Arabic lexicons point out that it may also mean ores and minerals in general; wealth beyond war booty.

Post #14 in this thread will be useful to you: http://www.shiachat....34964671-khums/

Thank you. However, that doesn't answer my questions with regards to the first three caliphs. Abu Bakr's story is related to fadak, Umar has one line to say he tried to give khums to the Banu Hashim (but doesn't say the source of the khums) and with Uthman it's mainly about how he gave money to his relatives - and where khums is mentioned, it talks about war booty from Africa. There's obviously no indication whether those references are authentic or not as well.

In any case, it implies that khums on profit was indeed paid by Muslims, so what about those Muslims who started paying khums to the Imams? Did they have to pay twice, once to them and then to the authorities?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

You raised some good questions in your original post and I too am curious to know the answer. That is if khums was in fact collected during the lifetime of the Prophet (saw) and onwards, then how did it stop and who was responsible for it?

The Youtube link you posted above seems a little suspect. First, the video was uploaded by a Sunni and many of the things this so-called scholar says are totally opposed to Shia beliefs...like condemning the deputies of Imam-e-Zaman (as).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Veteran Member

Salam Alaikum Brother

I think Khums became the right of the caliph, I'm not well aware of this topic by any means but I do remember in muawiyah's time the case of hakm b amr ghiffari a sahabi who refused to surrender all gold/silver as part of khums to the ruler.The traditional 1/5 of booty gained.

Also interesting is the case of Abdullah b abbas who in contrast to Ali maintained all his life that family of Prophet was entitled to the Khums but according to ibn abbass in times of Umar it was stopped and Ali maintained that they should continue this policy.This led to treasury dispute between Ali and ibn Abbas

I will dig up references a little later

Edited by Panzerwaffe

Salam Alaikum Brother

I think Khums became the right of the caliph, I'm not well aware of this topic by any means but I do remember in muawiyah's time the case of hakm b amr ghiffari a sahabi who refused to surrender all gold/silver as part of khums to the ruler.The traditional 1/5 of booty gained.

Also interesting is the case of Abdullah b abbas who in contrast to Ali maintained all his life that family of Prophet was entitled to the Khums but according to ibn abbass in times of Umar it was stopped and Ali maintained that they should continue this policy.This led to treasury dispute between Ali and ibn Abbas

I will dig up references a little later

(wasalam)

Imam Ali did not think that khums from the spoils/booty should be given to the Prophet's (pbuh) family?

• Veteran Member

^ I will have to look at that source again, dont believe it until I show it to you though.But thats what I gathered its a secondary english source I will try to get the references which are in the footnotes for it.Give me a little time bro

there is a secondary spin to it too, which is abdullah b abbas considering him part of ahlulbayt ( which he was IMHO)

Edited by Panzerwaffe