Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
colinPmuhammad

Wearing A Turban As A Muslim

Rate this topic

Salaam Alaykem Friends.

I would just like to know what are some of your oppinions and feelings on muslims wearing a turban. I have embraced Islam recently and actively practice it (pray 5 times a day, visit the masjid weekly, and read the Quran often). My question is should I be able to wear a turban sometimes to express my spirituality? Is this something that muslims wear in the middle east or does it just depend on your country? I live in the United States, in the urban city of detroit and wearing a turban is not very common here. I am also an African American and I currently wear a kufi hat as many black muslims here wear. This works because my hair is currently short and the kufi fits on my head. The problem is that when I let my hair grow long, it becomes an afro because I am black. A kufi will never fit on a large afro, so I am considering a turban as an alternative. Recently Allah has blessed me with a lot of cash and a job. I saw a nice turban online and I am considering ordering it. I would just like to know what you guys think about this before I adopt it as part of my image. Also is it a sunni/shiite thing that some sunnis or shiites are more likely to wear a turban? Thank You for any input.

-Colin P. Muhammad

first of all, Mashallah for coming to the straight path my brother. May your life be guided and blessed !

The wearing of an imamah ( or as ypu call a turban) is a Sunnah which in the past was diligently followed by Muslim males. It isnt required, but it was a suggested for diffrentiating pious muslims. unfortunately in this modern age this sunnah has largely been abandoned by the majority of Muslims, except for ayatollahs, Marjas, and Shiite and Suffi Imams.

I dont want you to make the mistake that some new converts make, which is to feel the need to dress middle eastern because you think it shows you are more religious. this is false. Especially dont dress like those wahabbi Saudis and their headgear, you will learn they are no muslims. It is the character which defines a musim, not his clothing. but if you are doing it to follow sunnah, please dont hesitate.

Turbans are seldom worn by Sunnis, not even imams. Only worn culturally, by Afghans and some Pakistanis. Shiite imams tend to wear it, but not the average worshipper at the mosque. Wearing a Turban in public lifein a western country is almost unheard of these days. So to sum it up, Imamahs( turbans are worn seldom nowadays, though it is part of the greater Islamic heritage. If you wear it, and feel confortable in folllowing this sunnah, by all means do so. It will take some guts to wear it in public honestly!! But dont do it just to create a "Muslim image", as the best way to do so is not to change the way you look, but the way you act.

Salaam Alaykum -

If you are a Shia we generally leave wearing an amamah to our aalims. Although, some brothers wear them privately in their homes for the same reasons that you want to wear it. I do not think sunnis have any restriction on who wears it or not. The only rule used by both Shia and Sunni is that black is for sayyids and white is for everyone else. Sunnis wear their turbans with a long tail in the back and Shia do not wear the tail except when making prayer, which is the sunnah.

I hope this is helpful.

(salam) Brother,

Alhumdulillah you've become a Muslim, inshallah Allah (SWT) blesses you greatly in your life.

I don't know if you're simply looking for opinions or if you're asking whether it's required to wear it in any way. It's definitely not required, I personally have always enjoyed the look of wearing a turban (Dunno if you needed that), but I've only seen Ayatollah's and Sheiks wear it. Turbans don't distinguish one as being Sunni/Shi'a, there are normally other things that do distinguish what sect a person belongs to though. All the best brother.

(wasalam)

Firstly, welcome to the forums and it's good to hear that you have embraced Islam.

Wearing a turban is an optional matter in Islam, you can choose to wear it and remove it whenever you'd like. It is considered a sunna of the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and therefore you will see many people wearing them. They are much more widespread amongst the religious Shi`a in Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and other places, and amongst Sufi clerics in different parts of the world. It is mustahab (desirable) to wear a turban in prayer. In the end it is up to you if and when you wear one.

A-salam -ua oakum. Thanks for the information brothers. This topic reminds me of a similar question: Is it permissible to wear hats during prayer? When I attended prayers at the Sunni Masjid I often would see brothers wearing hats and remember some telling me that it was Sunnah or "Tradition" of the Prophet (P.B.U.H.). However, when attending the Shia Masjid I don't see a single brother wearing a hat. Is it the same ruling regardless it is a hat or turban?

(wasalam)

Firstly, welcome to the forums and it's good to hear that you have embraced Islam.

Wearing a turban is an optional matter in Islam, you can choose to wear it and remove it whenever you'd like. It is considered a sunna of the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and therefore you will see many people wearing them. They are much more widespread amongst the religious Shi`a in Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and other places, and amongst Sufi clerics in different parts of the world. It is mustahab (desirable) to wear a turban in prayer. In the end it is up to you if and when you wear one.

Thanks I wanted more information before deciding if I will wear this or not. I did not know that this was a sunnah and perhaps this will support my decision if I choose to wear it. I guess what I really wanted to know is will other Muslims criticize me for wearing this or accept me. I definately do not want to offend any Muslims by wearing imamah that is reserved for certain positions. However it sounds like the sunnah supports wearing one and although it is not required, the decision is up to the believer. My reason for wearing it would be strictly for the purpose of pleasing Allah and following the sunnah. And I will supplement wearing it with reading Quran, seeking knowledge, making salaat, and interacting piously with others in my community. Hopefully my decision to wear an imamah will be acceptable. Thanks for the responses.

A-salam -ua oakum. Thanks for the information brothers. This topic reminds me of a similar question: Is it permissible to wear hats during prayer? When I attended prayers at the Sunni Masjid I often would see brothers wearing hats and remember some telling me that it was Sunnah or "Tradition" of the Prophet (P.B.U.H.). However, when attending the Shia Masjid I don't see a single brother wearing a hat. Is it the same ruling regardless it is a hat or turban?

There is nothing wrong with wearing hat during prayer. One thing to look out for is to make sure that your forehead touches the Turbah and wearing hat formed a small barrier between forhead and the turbah for me, so i generally avoid it. You can always wear the small round hats sunnis use. I wear that sometimes during prayer. I believe thats sunnah too.

salam alaykum;

brother wearing different turban in size and colors  mostly is cultural rather than being religious,e.x men in dessert-ed like in Saudi Arabia and other sunny or cold weather used to cover their head from hot  and ... in some other countries like Iran Ulama wearing either white or black colors which is the sign of scholarship Sayyed the descendant of the prophet Muhammad wear the black one and the rest the white one which is something common and acceptable by that culture and people also it is said(i'm  not sure this is a Hadith) the turban is the crown of angels in heaven. you should consider the atmosphere  you are living in at the moment not to be opposite nor indifferent. always try to keep balance in every things related to you as a Muslim this is Islam to be regular and balance this is the criteria.   

(i m not talking about turban)

I don't think wearing  hat is wajib?(any one can correct me on that ) secondly  I don't think i look good in it , nor any one comments i look good in it nor i think some one looks good in it , why would Allah want to see me in some thing that's not good looking ,when he made such beautiful things like rose or he him self calls him al-jalil or al-majid or al jalal ,this being said , i don't mind any one wearing it ,if he thinks that symbol of piety