Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haydar Husayn

Why Do People Jump Over The Fire Before Nowruz?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Chahārshanbe-Sūri (Persian: åÇÑÔäÈå ‌ÓæÑی‎, pronounced Chārshambe-Sūri) meaning Wednesday Feast, from the word sour which means feast in Persian [1] ,or more plausibly, consider sūr to be a variant of sorkh (red) and take it to refer either to the fire itself or to the ruddiness (sorkhī), meaning good health or ripeness, supposedly obtained by jumping over it [1], is an ancient Iranian festival dating back to at least 1700 BCE of the early Zoroastrian era.[2] Also called the Festival of Fire, it is a prelude to Nowruz, which marks the arrival of spring. The words Chahar Shanbeh mean Wednesday and Suri means red. Bonfires are lit to "keep the sun alive" until early morning.[3] The celebration usually starts in the evening, with people making bonfires in the streets and jumping over them singing zardi-ye man az to, sorkhi-ye to az man. The literal translation is, my sickly yellow paleness is yours, your fiery red color is mine. This is a purification rite.[4] Loosely translated, this means you want the fire to take your paleness, sickness, and problems and in turn give you redness, warmth, and energy. There are Zoroastrian religious significance attached to Chaharshanbeh Soori and it serves as a cultural festival for Iranian people: Persian Jews, Persian Muslims, Persian Armenians, Kurds, and Zoroastrians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaharshanbe_Suri

92%20Shah%20of%20Iran%20jumping%20over%20Chahar%20Shanbe%20Suri%20fire%20in%20Nowruz%20Persian%20New%20Year%20festivities.jpg

Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Sunday urged Iranians to shun next week's Persian fire festival as an un-Islamic event which causes "a lot of harm."

Seven people have already been reported killed in the runup to the festival, ISNA news agency said, quoting a police chief.

Charshanbe Soori, an ancient pagan festival, is held on the eve of the last Wednesday of the Persian calendar year. This year, the ritual falls on the night of March 16.

Khamenei, Iran's all-powerful cleric, said on his website that Charshanbe Soori has "no basis in sharia (Islamic religious law) and creates a lot of harm and corruption, (which is why) it is appropriate to avoid it."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hTyfv6X3ayZBWH7znLh-VPCpvDIA

Why do Iranians (and others) still continue with this pagan custom?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Chahārshanbe-Sūri (Persian: چهارشنبه ‌سوری‎, pronounced Chārshambe-Sūri) meaning Wednesday Feast, from the word sour which means feast in Persian [1] ,or more plausibly, consider sūr to be a variant of sorkh (red) and take it to refer either to the fire itself or to the ruddiness (sorkhī), meaning good health or ripeness, supposedly obtained by jumping over it [1], is an ancient Iranian festival dating back to at least 1700 BCE of the early Zoroastrian era.[2] Also called the Festival of Fire, it is a prelude to Nowruz, which marks the arrival of spring. The words Chahar Shanbeh mean Wednesday and Suri means red. Bonfires are lit to "keep the sun alive" until early morning.[3] The celebration usually starts in the evening, with people making bonfires in the streets and jumping over them singing zardi-ye man az to, sorkhi-ye to az man. The literal translation is, my sickly yellow paleness is yours, your fiery red color is mine. This is a purification rite.[4] Loosely translated, this means you want the fire to take your paleness, sickness, and problems and in turn give you redness, warmth, and energy. There are Zoroastrian religious significance attached to Chaharshanbeh Soori and it serves as a cultural festival for Iranian people: Persian Jews, Persian Muslims, Persian Armenians, Kurds, and Zoroastrians.

http://en.wikipedia....aharshanbe_Suri

92%20Shah%20of%20Iran%20jumping%20over%20Chahar%20Shanbe%20Suri%20fire%20in%20Nowruz%20Persian%20New%20Year%20festivities.jpg

http://www.google.co...H7znLh-VPCpvDIA

To be honest I haven't heard or seen such a thing as jumping on fire before nowruz

for the same reason Celts and Welsh combined their mythical responses with the christian teachings,

or as in Sub-Continent where people illuminate their houses with candles and stuff on 15 th Sha'aban---as Hindus do in Diwali, and write letters to Imam-Zamana and afloat them in streams.

Finding solace in old traditions, which still have a grip on the human psyche. As if a part of human memory still long for the dark before the light. Sub-continent is a nightmare in this sense. We people have intertwined and fused the pagan traditions and Islamic beliefs together that it has become sort of same entity.

Each year ( in Pakistan ) countless causalities happen on 15th Sha'aban when people use fireworks and light candles and lamps, but still we are adamant to fuse diwali and this together.

I think sub-continent is not being discussed here,or you find Iran in sub-continent map somehow?

Yes there should n't be fireworks ,but lighting candles have never taken lives,who told you so?

And writing Areezas are being done in other countries as well,so kindly don't drag sub-continent everywhere.

Carry on with discussion.

I think sub-continent is not being discussed here,or you find Iran in sub-continent map somehow?

Yes there should n't be fireworks ,but lighting candles have never taken lives,who told you so?

And writing Areezas are being done in other countries as well,so kindly don't drag sub-continent everywhere.

Carry on with discussion.

You are such a larakoo. :wacko:

salam Alaikum

Today that old tradition is changed and people no longer care about that.

instead youth use fireworks on the last Wednesday.

salam Alaikum

Today that old tradition is changed and people no longer care about that.

instead youth use fireworks on the last Wednesday.

But this was from just 2010:

Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Sunday urged Iranians to shun next week's Persian fire festival as an un-Islamic event which causes "a lot of harm."

Seven people have already been reported killed in the runup to the festival, ISNA news agency said, quoting a police chief.

Charshanbe Soori, an ancient pagan festival, is held on the eve of the last Wednesday of the Persian calendar year. This year, the ritual falls on the night of March 16.

Khamenei, Iran's all-powerful cleric, said on his website that Charshanbe Soori has "no basis in sharia (Islamic religious law) and creates a lot of harm and corruption, (which is why) it is appropriate to avoid it."

Have things changed since then?

jumping above fire is something, doing those crazy actions is something else.

I meant they do not care to jump above the fire.

but still this silly tradition to made fire on the last Wednesday of the year is remained !

May God guide us all ...

cuz we r iranians and follow iranian traditions and celebrations. even tho i live in the US we do it every year and my cousins in Iran tell me about how they do it in the streets and send me pictures of it. nothing has changed cuz we all still do it and its one of our best holidays.

cuz we r iranians and follow iranian traditions and celebrations. even tho i live in the US we do it every year and my cousins in Iran tell me about how they do it in the streets and send me pictures of it. nothing has changed cuz we all still do it and its one of our best holidays.

Why would you want to follow the traditions of fire-worshippers, especially the ones related to fire?