Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shirk Within A Dream?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hello,

So oh man I just woke up pretty badly from a horrible dream.

This was a long a multipart dream and the part that scared me the most had a strange bird that moved really quickly.

For some reason my dream self was thinking of him as God or maybe an incarnation of him (not sure which), which in a normal state i'd never think of something so horrible.

Mid way in the dream though I realized my own error there and was already scared of what I may have committed even though it was in a dream. I couldn't wake up no matter how much I tried in the dream (yes I had discovered it was dream at this point) and whenever I did wake up, I was still in a dream.

Regardless now that i'm actually a wake, I am quite scared I may have committed Shirk by just believing that in that dream while in real life I never would do so.

What does everyone think? Did I indeed do so? or because I wasn't in my conscious self that I will not be judged as such?

Guest Jebreil

(bismillah)

(salam)

Maybe it was simurǧ and it symbolises the divine spark in Persian mythology - but perhaps that quick unfortunate moment of shirk was emphasising the Persian/Aryan aspect over the religious and universal aspect, seeing the symbol (bird) and not what it symbolised (God). National pride can be a subtle veil over the truth.

Indeed, you may still be living your dream.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Maybe it was simurǧ and it symbolises the divine spark in Persian mythology - but perhaps that quick unfortunate moment of shirk was emphasising the Persian/Aryan aspect over the religious and universal aspect, seeing the symbol (bird) and not what it symbolised (God). National pride can be a subtle veil over the truth.

Indeed, you may still be living your dream.

(wasalam)

I really am not a nationalist. I know nothing about mythology nor much about Zoroastrianism to even get knowledge of such.

But really am I blamesworthy? I always and already know God is beyond everything and in realblife don't believe God is that, but regardless am scared :(

Guest Jebreil

(bismillah)

(salam)

I was just taking a shot in the dark. Don't worry about it.

God does not judge by dreams or semi-conscious behaviour, but on conscious behaviour. It's pretty clear that, on conscious behaviour, you're a thorough monotheist.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I was just taking a shot in the dark. Don't worry about it.

God does not judge by dreams or semi-conscious behaviour, but on conscious behaviour. It's pretty clear that, on conscious behaviour, you're a thorough monotheist.

(wasalam)

I understand but what simply scares me I guess is how me in the dream was beliving it for some reason.

I have a theory though. One is a montheist in real life due to the rememberance of God and the rules he has provided us. In the dream I am in more or less an "intoxicated" state if you wanna call the clouded mind as such. Thus not remember God nkr the Quran led my dream self to go astray until I gained some consciousness in the dream.

What do you think?

• Advanced Member

rather than worrying about shirk, i think the important bit of this is the fact that you said you couldn't wake up. Maybe the dream is supposed to symbolise or tell you something?

Well if I were to guess, I'd think it be my great fear of shirk which I always am running away from and thus why it being hard to "wake up from that nightmare". The dream did though eventually switch to a restaurant with friends though.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

If that is a fear in your waking life, then it is quite likely that your dream is trying to help your mind deal with it.

(wasalam)

But it seems to have only stirred up more fear :/

You know that dream as I said reminds me of intoxication even though i've never been intoxicated before and that when I snapped out of those Shirk feelings mid dream I instantly resented them even though I was a sleep. Though what simply does scare me is how I actually was believing those until I took notice.

• Advanced Member

2 or 3 years back i used to think that i am very religious. but later i realized that my being religious was also because of god, that he helped me following religion, and then i was put to the real test and i failed.

perhaps its a sort of signal that u must improve ur faith.

• Advanced Member

2 or 3 years back i used to think that i am very religious. but later i realized that my being religious was also because of god, that he helped me following religion, and then i was put to the real test and i failed.

perhaps its a sort of signal that u must improve ur faith.

I honestly don't think God will make you dream about shirk...something like that sounds very satanic i'd think.

Anyways does anyone have any more answers? Am I blamesworthy? and if so or not why?

• Veteran Member

I honestly don't think God will make you dream about shirk...something like that sounds very satanic i'd think.

Anyways does anyone have any more answers? Am I blamesworthy? and if so or not why?

u r not, its just a dream. think of it this way, if u had a dream that u were going to the bathromm would u do taharat when u woke up?

• Advanced Member

u r not, its just a dream. think of it this way, if u had a dream that u were going to the bathromm would u do taharat when u woke up?

Good point, but its just that for that brief period I actually seemed to believe... sure I didn't have my logic with me and didn't remember any of Gods words to keep me away from that cause of my state at that time, but its just that me believing scares me :(

• Advanced Member

i dont know that its god who make us dream shirk but i have read many interpretations which are really good of really bad dreams.

sometime ago i had dream that i am dead and going for fishar e qabr and i am not ready for it. i dont know whether it was from god or satan but i know one thing that in every positive and negative Allah's will is involved.

i think u shd go 4 various dream interpretations.

• Advanced Member

i dont know that its god who make us dream shirk but i have read many interpretations which are really good of really bad dreams.

sometime ago i had dream that i am dead and going for fishar e qabr and i am not ready for it. i dont know whether it was from god or satan but i know one thing that in every positive and negative Allah's will is involved.

i think u shd go 4 various dream interpretations.

That type of dream is totally unlike mine. You simply died in yours, mine related to doing the biggest sin.

It made you think. That's just about what a dream is for.

You are not hold responsible for your dream.

True, but I didn't need thinking to know that Shirk is wrong. But while I do hear that we aren't held responsible for dreams, its the idea that shirk is more a state rather than the physical acts we do that bothers me. Like I can kill a person is a dream but I never actually did, but believing that thing was God in my dream for that brief instance even though my mind was not working properly at that time cause it was a dream is was terrifies me really.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Repel Shaytaan (la) he is putting doubts into your head and trying to take you away from Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. The fact that you are stressing over it goes to show that you regret it (even though I don't think it was your fault). You probably had a dream about it because it's on your mind so much, I remember last night I was listening to some nasheed a lot and then in my dream I saw the person who recited the nasheed.

I don't know if you could get punished because of what you see or think of in a dream, that doesn't make much sense to me since (as far as I know) when we are asleep we aren't in the same state that we are when awake.

If it really is bothering you and you can't get it out of your head then spit in the face of Shaytaan (la) by using this opportunity to repent for this (even though it may not require repenting) but additional to that repent for all the sins you have done in your past as well (if you have ever sinned before) and ask Allah (swt) to help keep you away from all types of shirk and all sins bi haqqi muhammad wa aalihi

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Repel Shaytaan (la) he is putting doubts into your head and trying to take you away from Allah سبحانه وتعالى. The fact that you are stressing over it goes to show that you regret it (even though I don't think it was your fault). You probably had a dream about it because it's on your mind so much, I remember last night I was listening to some nasheed a lot and then in my dream I saw the person who recited the nasheed.

I don't know if you could get punished because of what you see or think of in a dream, that doesn't make much sense to me since (as far as I know) when we are asleep we aren't in the same state that we are when awake.

If it really is bothering you and you can't get it out of your head then spit in the face of Shaytaan (la) by using this opportunity to repent for this (even though it may not require repenting) but additional to that repent for all the sins you have done in your past as well (if you have ever sinned before) and ask Allah (swt) to help keep you away from all types of shirk and all sins bi haqqi muhammad wa aalihi

(wasalam)

Understood :) Well I guess the the question begs that are we judged on what we doing when we are intoxicated? For example say this guy got drunk (yes at this point he has sinned for drinking) and did some more sins while in that state. Because he was intoxicated, does he get judged for what he did in the state where he wasn't thinking clearly (in addition to the drunkiness) or is he blamesworthy for all of it?

Anyways while I understand repentance is always there, the one thing is that I simply don't want to ever commit or be guilty of shirk. Its just such a horrendous crime that I never want to be near it and thus want to rationalize if I indeed am blamesworthy here?

• Advanced Member

Understood :) Well I guess the the question begs that are we judged on what we doing when we are intoxicated? For example say this guy got drunk (yes at this point he has sinned for drinking) and did some more sins while in that state. Because he was intoxicated, does he get judged for what he did in the state where he wasn't thinking clearly (in addition to the drunkiness) or is he blamesworthy for all of it?

Well the example you put forward is different. Intoxicating yourself via something haram might mean that you are punished for your own actions because you put yourself into a haram state of intoxication (and then again it may not) but putting yourself in a state of intoxication via sleep isn't the same kind of thing.

Anyways while I understand repentance is always there, the one thing is that I simply don't want to ever commit or be guilty of shirk. Its just such a horrendous crime that I never want to be near it and thus want to rationalize if I indeed am blamesworthy here?

This is a fiqhi matter, I am going to E-mail the office of Ayatullah Sistani (ha) and I will post what they tell me over here insha'Allah :)

InshAllah it's nothing bro, or at least nothing bad. You already stated that you wouldn't do anything like that in "real life". Some of us even have "wet" dreams but that doesn't mean we do these things in person you know. Just ask for forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I sent the message and they replied

Me

Salaam Alaykum

If I commit a sin whilst dreaming do I have to repent for that sin and

will I be held accountable for it? For example if I commit shirk

whilst asleep.

Imam Ali Foundation

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Deam has no value

Wassalamu Alaykum

I don't know whether the word "Deam" was a typo or if they meant something by it

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I sent the message and they replied

I don't know whether the word "Deam" was a typo or if they meant something by it

Oh wow thank you very much ^_^ I guess being in a dream is kinda like being brain dead... God I would not think judge someone for their action cause of being brain dead afterall, just as how a child isn't judged cause they aren't aware of good or bad.