Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
fightingsoul001

Materialism In Islam

Rate this topic

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Wa Alikum Assalam Wa Rahamah.

I like living a simple life. That means less weight to carry on the mountain.

Ponder at this verse...3_92.gif

3:92 By no means shall ye attain righteousness unless ye give (freely) of that which ye love; and whatever ye give, of a truth Allah knoweth it well.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Materialism is poison and has no place in Islam. The Quran and hadith say that this world is absolutely worthless, has insignificant span of life, and not worth struggling for or gaining at all.

We have to gain for our families and communities, it is lack of altruism in society that does not serve our gain in the material world. We must live in it as travellers, take from it what we need in order to live whilst not neglecting our duties to our creator and not become niggardly.

Salam Aleikum-

Basicly the way I live my life is very simple. I am only interested in making enough money to pay my expenses, and have a little left over in case of emergency,and to give some in charity,but I am constantly encouraged to 'work to acquire more in this life' by fellow Muslims. Personally, I am not interested in acquiring a fancy car,flat screen tv,or even my own house-I do not make enough money nor do I have an interest in killing myself physically to acquire these things( I am a laborer/landscaper, and Im a 36 year old female)My work is very hard,but I enjoy it. I do not see myself as an underachiever,just content with what I have and what I earn. I am not in any way enamored by the things of this world,nor enticed by them-I do not have any children to support, so its not like I am being negligent to anyone.My stance would be different to SOME degree if I had a husband and a family to support ,but it would be within reason. Is there a problem with what I am doing, because I have been told that I am not "carrying the burden of Islam" if I dont do these things,meaning I am not striving hard enough in this life. Id like to add that I spend numerous hours a day researching Islam and other subjects, so I am attaining knowledge, as is required of all Muslims. I have began to feel guilty due to the comments I have heard, but I have absolutely no motivation towards these things, UNLESS ISLAM SAYS I NEED TO-That is the only factor that would affect me,but I do not believe this is true.

Any thoughts?

Salam....

Imam says

It is not that u should not own things,rather things should not own u...

The one who sells his religion for duniya and the one who sells his duniya for religion is not from us....

THE BEST ADVICE--seek the world as if u will LIVE FOR EVER,and seek the hereafter AS IF U WILL DIE TOMORROW...

this world is the best mount to reach the hereafter....

Idea is simple god says in HQ 51.56 I have not created jinn n men that they worship me,so every act that we do as long as it is done in obedience to god and used as a means to reach him,then it is worship...imam also says that the best act of worship in d eyes of god is to seek lawful sustenance,if we believe that one day the mehdi will rise and we will have an Islamic government then let's prepare for it,if Islam has to rule the world one day den surely it needs good people to run d show...so make money....chapter 93 v 11 god says and the favour of ur lord announce it....our imams are known for their altruism so where did their money come from,god did not send it to them rather they earned it and den spent it on others....sixth imam says to save one life it is as if u have saved the whole of humanity...

The message of Islam is simple U OWN THINGS LET NOT THINGS OWN U....

Peace out

Lastly as its time for salat here let me share with u this

Imam hasan used to dress up very well for namaz,when asked why he replied god is beautiful n he loves beauty,the imam den recited 7.31 o mankind,wear ur beautiful apparel every time of prayer....

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Wa Alikum Assalam Wa Rahamah Sister,

I was talking with my husband during one of our walks, that so many people are attached with the latest materialistic product that comes out. It's nonstop. The latest cell phone, constant change of clothes... everything and anything is always updated. So those who are attached to this world are constantly changing to the latest product out there, and will they ever find happiness chasing this world?

The only thing I would encourage you to make more money is to go to hajj and ziyarat. Try to go now before you age in your 50+.

If you have done this already, you can also save to send someone deserving of going who can't afford it.

Thank you for sharing, and Insh'Allah Allah swt accept your deeds.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Salam Aleikum-

Basicly the way I live my life is very simple. I am only interested in making enough money to pay my expenses, and have a little left over in case of emergency,and to give some in charity,but I am constantly encouraged to 'work to acquire more in this life' by fellow Muslims. Personally, I am not interested in acquiring a fancy car,flat screen tv,or even my own house-I do not make enough money nor do I have an interest in killing myself physically to acquire these things( I am a laborer/landscaper, and Im a 36 year old female)My work is very hard,but I enjoy it. I do not see myself as an underachiever,just content with what I have and what I earn. I am not in any way enamored by the things of this world,nor enticed by them-I do not have any children to support, so its not like I am being negligent to anyone.My stance would be different to SOME degree if I had a husband and a family to support ,but it would be within reason. Is there a problem with what I am doing, because I have been told that I am not "carrying the burden of Islam" if I dont do these things,meaning I am not striving hard enough in this life. Id like to add that I spend numerous hours a day researching Islam and other subjects, so I am attaining knowledge, as is required of all Muslims. I have began to feel guilty due to the comments I have heard, but I have absolutely no motivation towards these things, UNLESS ISLAM SAYS I NEED TO-That is the only factor that would affect me,but I do not believe this is true.

Any thoughts?

Salam,

I want to know what everybody think about materialism? How can we save ourselves from its influence?

What are Islamic teachings about materialism? What is its linkage with spirituality?

You should simply take what you need and works well. Don't be too cheap nor should you be too greedy. Remember, one day we'll be buried in the dirt, no point in having a massive amount of material that will go to waste.

I feel materialism has had a significant negative effect on some of my friends and peers. Even worse, I see materialism have a big impact on young children. You see 8 year olds screaming at mommy and daddy for not having a new XBOX or the latest version of an Iphone.