Chaotic Muslem

What Have You Watched Recently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

Why am I not surprised that the the film featured the first “exclusively gay moment in a Disney movie."

Yup, this is going to get much more common. Everybody will rush to get their firsts and before you know it the usual love story involving a guy and a girl will become "guess who is romancing with whom."

In a TV series I was recently watching, a respectable woman suddenly found out she was also attracted to females (portrayed as bisexual) and got into a relationship with one after dispensing with two previous husbands and having kids with them.....You gotta problem with that? You better not!

This is the new Hollywood culture.

12 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

I thought it was entertaining (although the musicals dragged on).  Great cinematography. I think you're niece would enjoy it (all the kids I know did). Did you enjoy Disney animations in general? 

I did enjoy them yes but I was a kid myself then lol. I bet it doesn't touch the original animated movie. :) 

2 hours ago, Marbles said:

Yup, this is going to get much more common. Everybody will rush to get their firsts and before you know it the usual love story involving a guy and a girl will become "guess who is romancing with whom."

In a TV series I was recently watching, a respectable woman suddenly found out she was also attracted to females (portrayed as bisexual) and got into a relationship with one after dispensing with two previous husbands and having kids with them.....You gotta problem with that? You better not!

This is the new Hollywood culture.

Did you ever hear that famous "let it go" Disney song that's gotten so much hype from kids all over? 

11 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

Did you ever hear that famous "let it go" Disney song that's gotten so much hype from kids all over? 

I haven't got a faintest clue lol. I don't know if I have ever watched a Disney movie. May God forgive me if I watched one unknowingly.... 

But I looked it up on youtube. It seems like a feel good song.

63348520170324101753.jpg

<<CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS>>

This film falls neatly into the genre of, "Why didn't these characters watch the Alien franchise?"

Certainly, if we bring any alien life forms into a spaceship the protocol has to be that the module the creature is in, has to be capable of being ejected into deep space, no ifs or buts or procrastination that a fellow astronaut might die.

Other than that it was good entertainment.

Reasonably interesting 'true story' about how an FBI agent infiltrates an American far right organisation. The start of the movie shows how a Muslim American is entrapped into an act of terrorism by the FBI.

Has swearing and violence, obviously. But no nudity etc.

imperium-poster-daniel-radcliffe.jpg

hell.jpg.ea13ba5e5c5b207d7223df1d4a92a941.jpg

Hell or High Water (2016)

A fine example of minimalism. A whole lot more is conveyed with the minimum dialogue and scene sequence than a film of this sort warrants. The bare wastelands of interior Texas becomes a symbol for the barren lives of the protagonists who fight the rapacious banking system by robbing those banks and feeding them back the money they robbed. 100% clean.

7 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Hell or High Water (2016)

100% clean.

By clean do you mean no nudity? If you check out the quotes for the movie at imdb, the dialogue has profanity.

Just now, hameedeh said:

By clean do you mean no nudity? If you check out the quotes for the movie at imdb, the dialogue has profanity.

Yes, I meant no nudity. But there is inevitably some strong language. I think it is well nigh impossible to avoid profane language in modern cinema.

so i watched a few films in last few days because my exams are over.

Hacksaw-Ridge-1-600x450.jpg

Story is not that extra-ordinary but the direction and cinematography is unbelievably good. Especially the second half which has all the war scenes. 
8/10. Recommended if you like war drama and action.

light_between_oceans.jpg?itok=17xbmtDw

Its quite rare that Hollywood could create a good drama film. Direction is okay. Plot is interesting.

7/10. Recommended

virgin_mountain_plakat.jpg

Icelandic movie about a 40 years old guy who still lives with his mother, how he builds relationships, challenges faced etc. Its a fairly good movie.

7/10. Recommended.

Dum-Laga-Ke-Haisha.jpg

Bollywood movie about a guy who was forced to marry an overweight girl but later on they fell in love. I think its a good movie as it challenges the perception of getting attracted to other sex on the basis of looks instead it propagates that sometime your true emotions for someone make them value you and changes their perception.

Acting of lead roles is good. 

7/10. 

Image result for masaan movie poster

Story of struggles of middle class in india. Here is its summary from imdb.

• Four lives intersect along the Ganges: a low caste boy hopelessly in love, a daughter ridden with guilt of a sexual encounter ending in a tragedy, a hapless father with fading morality, and a spirited child yearning for a family, long to escape the moral constructs of a small-town.

Two stories- one involving a father-daughter tormented by the orthodox architecture of a small-town, another following the musings of a young couple from different castes, meander along the shores of the Ganges, as the river of life touches them in different ways, destined to coalesce at the Sangam.

Good direction and acting. 8/10. 

Watched the ending of Naruto.

Thought it was terrible.

The last 20 or so episodes all felt like filler. The direction the series took was pointless and watered down. I think even some of the voice actors/actresses were changed. Character designs were needlessly changed. The cute little rascals from the original series had already been matured into douchey teenagers in Shippuden, why did they have to go the extra mile and make them 20-something "safe space" college tools for the last few episodes? Anyway...

Naruto was an up and down experience for me. Its great moments were truly moving (esp the Itachi arc) but there was just too much junk. I guess there is some business reason for this but I don't understand it; I was under the impression that it costs a lot of money to make these episodes, and that the studios make more money from merchandising than the actual series anyway....

I have a lot of specifics to go into but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't finished yet.

@von Lohengramm do you have an explanation for this terrible anti-climax of an ending for an iconic series?

2 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

@baradar_jackson I wish there was a Japanese anime version of game of thrones so that I can see what the whole world are on about and hyping up over 

I avoided looking at Game of Thrones for years because I heard it had lots of inappropriate scenes. Then I got married and my wife convinced me to catch up and binge watch them all till the last season, when I started following like everyone else. Of course being married made it easier to watch (or actually skip through) such scenes, but I would like to mention one thing. Basically earlier episodes of the GOT have way more of those scenes (with homosexual scenes being especially disturbing), than later on. It seems that whoever is in charge of the series has become wiser over time. I hope that I am not jinxing the series and will find a turnaround again. But there is truly muuuuuuch less inappropriate scenes than before. 

Here the author of GOT is actually put in the situation where he has to defend himself for not making explicit gay scenes:

I've had letters from fans who want me to present particularly an explicit male sex scene – most of the letters come from women."

But he added: "I'm not going to do it just for the sake of doing it. If the plot lends itself to that, if one of my viewpoint characters is in a situation, then I'm not going to shy away from it, but you can't just insert things because everyone wants to see them.

"It is not a democracy. If it was a democracy, then Joffrey [the sadistic boy king] would have died much earlier than he did."

the guardian

People like him actually get put under pressure to make it more sick and perverted. And sometimes he might opt for that in order to keep the show going perhaps.

Anyway, one can simply skip those parts in theory, and I am very happy to have seen all the episodes until now alhamdulilah.

It certainly resonates with todays world and end-times situation. The author who is even consciously following the footsteps of the Lord of the Rings author, does tap into Islamic end-times reality. There are many parallels to our religion I believe, and on some level it is motivational. At the core I believe it is very innocent and yet very complex and brilliant. masha Allah

kunta1.thumb.jpg.c840bce1b6e9243a9f7be7ff6e48175c.jpg

Roots (2016)

It is one thing to read about black slavery in the US; it is entirely another to get a feel for it in high relief. I have seen quite a few films on slavery but this one most undoubtedly surpasses them all. So much so that it makes Django Unchained (2012) looks like child's play (no offence to Tarantino). Its approximately six hours run time enables it to tell the multi-generational story in great and devastating detail. No other cinematic piece has done it so well as this one. And since it's largely based on true history, it's a great deal of education at the same time.

It is a masterpiece, shouldn't be missed.

Based on Alex Haley's monumental "Roots." More about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(2016_miniseries)

12 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

@baradar_jackson I wish there was a Japanese anime version of game of thrones so that I can see what the whole world are on about and hyping up over 

No, you don't.

9 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

I avoided looking at Game of Thrones for years because I heard it had lots of inappropriate scenes. Then I got married and my wife convinced me to catch up and binge watch them all till the last season, when I started following like everyone else. Of course being married made it easier to watch (or actually skip through) such scenes, but I would like to mention one thing. Basically earlier episodes of the GOT have way more of those scenes (with homosexual scenes being especially disturbing), than later on. It seems that whoever is in charge of the series has become wiser over time. I hope that I am not jinxing the series and will find a turnaround again. But there is truly muuuuuuch less inappropriate scenes than before. 

Here the author of GOT is actually put in the situation where he has to defend himself for not making explicit gay scenes:

the guardian

People like him actually get put under pressure to make it more sick and perverted. And sometimes he might opt for that in order to keep the show going perhaps.

Anyway, one can simply skip those parts in theory, and I am very happy to have seen all the episodes until now alhamdulilah.

It certainly resonates with todays world and end-times situation. The author who is even consciously following the footsteps of the Lord of the Rings author, does tap into Islamic end-times reality. There are many parallels to our religion I believe, and on some level it is motivational. At the core I believe it is very innocent and yet very complex and brilliant. masha Allah

I don't understand why you would do that. 

Is there a famine of entertainment? Is there no other way to occupy one's leisure time?

Don't fall down that rabbit hole, brother. 

There are plenty of series' that are perfectly entertaining and engaging and they won't pollute your eyes, either.

I'm watching a series right now called Jin (the Japanese one from 2009, not the south Korean knockoff they made a few years after). It's about a time travelling doctor. It's no masterpiece but it's well-made, entertaining. I know there will probably end up being some cheap twist but guess what? Nobody takes off their clothes. So I can overlook its faults.

" Unbranded"

Little documentary about a group of young guys who rode a string of adopted mustangs on public wild lands from Mexico to Canada to draw attention to the issues with the wild horses in the US. Nice sound track. Wish I could get another horse.

On Friday, April 07, 2017 at 0:15 AM, baradar_jackson said:

I dont understand why you would do that. 

Is there a famine of entertainment? Is there no other way to occupy one's leisure time?

Don't fall down that rabbit hole, brother. 

There are plenty of series' that are perfectly entertaining and engaging and they won't pollute your eyes, 

You know nothing, Jon Snow...