Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Chaotic Muslem

What Have You Watched Recently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Golden-crowned said:

Iranian movies are waste of time. I would rather watching anime. better than Abbaki Iranian movies

Not all of them are a waste of time. Most of them are, but the ones that are good... they are REALLY good. Majidi and Kiarostami are my favorites; I have never disliked any of their movies.

Also: it is wrong to judge an entire film industry based on the c.rappy majority of movies. The majority of animes are absolutely terrible, too.

Edited by baradar_jackson

On 2016年4月19日 at 4:15 PM, Golden-crowned said:

Iranian movies are waste of time. I would rather watching anime. better than Abbaki Iranian movies 

I think Iranian movies which themed about children are really good.

Color of Paradise, Children of Heaven, Where Is the Friend's Home?, Mirror, Turtle Can Fly, A Time for Drunken Horses... i liked all of them, these are really good movies.

3 hours ago, Bayqush said:

I think Iranian movies which themed about children are really good.

Color of Paradise, Children of Heaven, Where Is the Friend's Home?, Mirror, Turtle Can Fly, A Time for Drunken Horses... i liked all of them, these are really good movies.

Yes, I had forgotten about these movies you mentioned.  I have watched them, they are Meaningful and deep movies, specially turtle can fly. It was really a  sad movie.

9a9sex.jpg

The Return (8.0/10)

After 12 years, Father came back to home again, and his two son was already grew up. boys were missing their father all the time, but after he really came back, a sense of dissepiment advent and the distance between them not getting closer until their father getting “return”.

Watched The Jungle Book [2016] in the theater. 

Last Days in Vietnam. This documentary is about the full evacuation of the Americans and thousands of Vietnamese from Saigon in April 1975. I hadn't realised how much the departure of Nixon had been a trigger for all this happening.

Just a postscript.

Although this is a documentary, it is very dramatic, for example, there are scenes of helicopters evacuating people to ships, but because there isn't enough space on the ships, once the people are offloaded each helicopter is pushed over the side in order to make room for the next one to land.

This would have been perfect for a movie, but perhaps it's too sensitive for Hollywood.

Edited by Haji 2003

"Captive Wild Woman", Universal, 1943 with Aquanetta and John Carr dine.

Mad doctor experiments with endocrinology to transform a gorilla into a girl.

I actually could remember 4 scenes from when l saw this on TV 50 years ago.

It's different.

Adult Question: ls endocrinology related to epi-genetics?

Edited by hasanhh
Adult Question:

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the "reading" or "watching" thread.

I decided to post it here since manga is as much "watch" as it is "read," and also because I don't want there to be a revolt in the other topic about how I soiled it with my low-brow rubbish and how I should be hanged for crime against book.

But I became inpatient for the season 2 of Attack on Titan and decided to just read the manga for now.

I was very obsessed with the anime series back when it came out ten years ago or whenever it was. But as the saying goes: out of sight, out of mind. Now that I am caught up in the manga, I can safely say that my obsession has been rekindled. It is a masterpiece in every respect.

If I go blow by blow and list every reason for why this series is great, I would be wasting all of our time. I'm just gonna touch on a few bases.

1) On the simplest level, it's a story of resistance. But it's so easy to just make a story about resistance. Even stupid Hollywood can do those. This is a story of resistance which leaves no stone unturned: what is the true nature of the enemy? What is the nature of those who resist? What forces in society cause people to look down on resistance or think of resisters as crazy people? These are all addressed, and very skillfully. This is a fantasy setting but you find that you may as well be reading about Lebanon or Yemen or Iraq. These themes are all very real and Hajime Isayama expresses them very fluidly and eloquently.

2) It holds its own with the pure entertainment factor. The plot keeps thickening and thickening and your interest keeps growing and growing. Every question answered raises another three or four questions. You get completely immersed in this universe.

3) Characters. There's too many great characters. What I like is that they have a lot of depth to them. My favorite character is Eren. He reminds of of Imam Khomeini's chapter in his 40 hadith, on ghadhab (anger). Eren is the exemplar of how to direct and use anger in a productive way. He himself is not particularly intelligent, skilled, or strong, but he has this superhuman will and his hatred of the enemy.

And so on. I can't wait for the continuation of the anime series but if you don't have the patience to wait a year or whatever, I defo recommend you read the manga.

(remember to read this right to left)

x25bnr.jpg

16 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the "reading" or "watching" thread.

I decided to post it here since manga is as much "watch" as it is "read," and also because I don't want there to be a revolt in the other topic about how I soiled it with my low-brow rubbish and how I should be hanged for crime against book.

But I became inpatient for the season 2 of Attack on Titan and decided to just read the manga for now.

I was very obsessed with the anime series back when it came out ten years ago or whenever it was. But as the saying goes: out of sight, out of mind. Now that I am caught up in the manga, I can safely say that my obsession has been rekindled. It is a masterpiece in every respect.

If I go blow by blow and list every reason for why this series is great, I would be wasting all of our time. I'm just gonna touch on a few bases.

1) On the simplest level, it's a story of resistance. But it's so easy to just make a story about resistance. Even stupid Hollywood can do those. This is a story of resistance which leaves no stone unturned: what is the true nature of the enemy? What is the nature of those who resist? What forces in society cause people to look down on resistance or think of resisters as crazy people? These are all addressed, and very skillfully. This is a fantasy setting but you find that you may as well be reading about Lebanon or Yemen or Iraq. These themes are all very real and Hajime Isayama expresses them very fluidly and eloquently.

2) It holds its own with the pure entertainment factor. The plot keeps thickening and thickening and your interest keeps growing and growing. Every question answered raises another three or four questions. You get completely immersed in this universe.

3) Characters. There's too many great characters. What I like is that they have a lot of depth to them. My favorite character is Eren. He reminds of of Imam Khomeini's chapter in his 40 hadith, on ghadhab (anger). Eren is the exemplar of how to direct and use anger in a productive way. He himself is not particularly intelligent, skilled, or strong, but he has this superhuman will and his hatred of the enemy.

And so on. I can't wait for the continuation of the anime series but if you don't have the patience to wait a year or whatever, I defo recommend you read the manga.

(remember to read this right to left)

x25bnr.jpg

Meh. 5/10 for me. 

Watch Monster.

12 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

I am honestly shocked. I always saw you as a reasonable man. We need to have a long talk.

What did you think were the problems with the series?

Let me say this from the get-go, I don't hate the series. I actually enjoyed it a lot, but I like to keep my personal feelings for the show and how well written it is, separate. So bruv, don't skewer me alive for this criticism. I still love Kaiji so we friends again now.

I didn’t intend for this to be a long reply, but I got carried away. There’ll be some nit-picking, but it’s done to prove my point.

Characters: In all honesty, I found Eren to be boring. The motive that drives him throughout the series is revenge: a basic and boring objective that's been reused to again and again in many shounen anime. He just seems very angsty, even before the titans came. He starts shouting at the guards in episode one for no good reason. I get that he wants them to do their job properly, but why is he yelling like that? He has no right to patronize or have an excuse to be that angry; none of his family or friends have been killed yet, and even though he wants make sure the deaths of soldiers aren't in vain, that's still no reason to be mad as hell. Also, in Mikasa's flashback he somehow managed to overpower three grown men, kill two of them, and for some reason doesn't exhibit even the slightest bit of remorse; assuming they are the first people he has killed, you would expect a fifteen year old boy to at least question what he has done or show some sort of emotional response. Is he abnormal or just poorly written? His character doesn't really develop either. After becoming a titan and all, he's the same ol' super aggressive teenager who wants to kill the titans (like you, though, I admire his tenacity). As for Mikasa, well, her motivations are also simple and boring: protect Eren. It's as if her character can't exist without him. Both she and Armin were about to get some nice character development after Eren's supposed death: Mikasa decided to act independently and saved a few citizens from one-dimensional adult douchebags (again, like with Eren and the guards --- who are adults --- the whole ordeal is presented in black and white fashion: the MC’s are the good guys, and the insignificant pebbles are bad), and Armin came up with a nice plan to take back the basement (I think)…but this becomes redundant since Eren is later revealed to be alive, also defeating the whole idea of ‘nobody is safe’ --- the MC’s are all plot-armoured.

Background characters simply exist to be killed of later on. It’s obviously done for gore and edge. So many were killed, but who cares? We didn’t know anything about them. Why should we care? --- a few examples are the members of Levi’s squad. Side characters like Sasha, who is defined by her sole idiosyncratic obsession with potatoes, are there for lame comic relief. Jean was one of the few characters that got development: his perception of the titan-dominated world changed after his friend’s (forgot his name) death, from wanting an untroubled life, to willing to take risks for the sake of other people.

Plot: The premise itself is interesting but is overshadowed by the sheer stupidity of the humans in the series. The army doesn’t use any strategy, they just charge at the titans head-front like idiots. All they need to do is slice the ankles of a normal titan (two guys should be enough) and have the third gut slice the nape of the neck as the titan is temporarily immobilized. Thing is, this show (and the manga) is aimed at teens --- it’s a shounen. It wouldn’t be interesting to its demographic without some sort of cool supernatural power the MC gets. Eren starts getting new power-ups out of nowhere; titan shifters are revealed only to not appear again for another 30+ chapters (I haven’t read manga for ten months to let it get ahead; I think I’m on 74 or something --- where the heck is Annie!?); the story switches to politics, which was definitely interesting, but the nobles (who were the villains, as you know) and the ordinary citizens were presented in black ‘n white fashion yet again: the nobles are bad for their policies, the peasants are good because they’re the victims. Still very enjoyable though, and a nice break from all the titan wrestling. The threat of the titans diminishes over time, to the point where you think any Tom, Dic.k, or Harry could kill them. Plots twists are done to maximise shock factor. Sometimes the conflict is initiated in a contrived manner: the colossal titan appears when he feels like it, kicks the walls down, and disappears again. If a conflict can be created out of thin air and be undone just as easily, and no one can do anything about it, it is plot convenience.

And so those were some of the reasons I don’t consider it a masterpiece, and why I consider it average. It is extremely overrated. My enjoyment score would probably be a 9, though. As I said earlier, I enjoyed the show and manga thoroughly, but I can’t just ignore all the aforementioned points. I genuinely believe the mangaka is confused and hasn’t planned carefully enough the end of the series. Hajime Isayama (the mangaka) is known for being, to put it bluntly, greedy. The show was a HUGE hit in America, probably the biggest in the last decade. Its popularity in Japan was even bigger. I remember on one occasion Attack on Titan outdid One Piece in monthly rankings, and after it was lowered to second place the following month it maintained its no. 2 rank - it does so to this day. Countless spin-off mangas (which are c.rap, apart from the Levi one) of the series have been produced, and Isayama decided to change the ending of the original series because it was so popular!!! I lost respect for the guy at that point. He’s just extending the plot further to get those Japanese yen comin’. If you compare him to Oda (One Piece mangaka), who almost overworked himself to death twice, their planning is light years apart. Oda recently confirmed he already has the final panel sketched out! He knows where he is going and is aware of exactly of what he needs to do to get there.

So, most of what I said was negative stuff about the series. There are many positives about the anime and manga but I wanted to focus on the former.

Now watch Monster. A genuine masterpiece done by the legendary Naoki Urasawa. The anime and manga are equally good. 74 eps. Animated by Madhouse (the same studio that did Kaiji, and also the best anime studio out there).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msTB5r8nUHU

2 hours ago, Vestige said:

Let me say this from the get-go, I don't hate the series. I actually enjoyed it a lot, but I like to keep my personal feelings for the show and how well written it is, separate. So bruv, don't skewer me alive for this criticism. I still love Kaiji so we friends again now.

I didn’t intend for this to be a long reply, but I got carried away. There’ll be some nit-picking, but it’s done to prove my point.

Characters: In all honesty, I found Eren to be boring. The motive that drives him throughout the series is revenge: a basic and boring objective that's been reused to again and again in many shounen anime. He just seems very angsty, even before the titans came. He starts shouting at the guards in episode one for no good reason. I get that he wants them to do their job properly, but why is he yelling like that? He has no right to patronize or have an excuse to be that angry; none of his family or friends have been killed yet, and even though he wants make sure the deaths of soldiers aren't in vain, that's still no reason to be mad as hell. Also, in Mikasa's flashback he somehow managed to overpower three grown men, kill two of them, and for some reason doesn't exhibit even the slightest bit of remorse; assuming they are the first people he has killed, you would expect a fifteen year old boy to at least question what he has done or show some sort of emotional response. Is he abnormal or just poorly written? His character doesn't really develop either. After becoming a titan and all, he's the same ol' super aggressive teenager who wants to kill the titans (like you, though, I admire his tenacity). As for Mikasa, well, her motivations are also simple and boring: protect Eren. It's as if her character can't exist without him. Both she and Armin were about to get some nice character development after Eren's supposed death: Mikasa decided to act independently and saved a few citizens from one-dimensional adult douchebags (again, like with Eren and the guards --- who are adults --- the whole ordeal is presented in black and white fashion: the MC’s are the good guys, and the insignificant pebbles are bad), and Armin came up with a nice plan to take back the basement (I think)…but this becomes redundant since Eren is later revealed to be alive, also defeating the whole idea of ‘nobody is safe’ --- the MC’s are all plot-armoured.

Background characters simply exist to be killed of later on. It’s obviously done for gore and edge. So many were killed, but who cares? We didn’t know anything about them. Why should we care? --- a few examples are the members of Levi’s squad. Side characters like Sasha, who is defined by her sole idiosyncratic obsession with potatoes, are there for lame comic relief. Jean was one of the few characters that got development: his perception of the titan-dominated world changed after his friend’s (forgot his name) death, from wanting an untroubled life, to willing to take risks for the sake of other people.

Plot: The premise itself is interesting but is overshadowed by the sheer stupidity of the humans in the series. The army doesn’t use any strategy, they just charge at the titans head-front like idiots. All they need to do is slice the ankles of a normal titan (two guys should be enough) and have the third gut slice the nape of the neck as the titan is temporarily immobilized. Thing is, this show (and the manga) is aimed at teens --- it’s a shounen. It wouldn’t be interesting to its demographic without some sort of cool supernatural power the MC gets. Eren starts getting new power-ups out of nowhere; titan shifters are revealed only to not appear again for another 30+ chapters (I haven’t read manga for ten months to let it get ahead; I think I’m on 74 or something --- where the heck is Annie!?); the story switches to politics, which was definitely interesting, but the nobles (who were the villains, as you know) and the ordinary citizens were presented in black ‘n white fashion yet again: the nobles are bad for their policies, the peasants are good because they’re the victims. Still very enjoyable though, and a nice break from all the titan wrestling. The threat of the titans diminishes over time, to the point where you think any Tom, Dic.k, or Harry could kill them. Plots twists are done to maximise shock factor. Sometimes the conflict is initiated in a contrived manner: the colossal titan appears when he feels like it, kicks the walls down, and disappears again. If a conflict can be created out of thin air and be undone just as easily, and no one can do anything about it, it is plot convenience.

And so those were some of the reasons I don’t consider it a masterpiece, and why I consider it average. It is extremely overrated. My enjoyment score would probably be a 9, though. As I said earlier, I enjoyed the show and manga thoroughly, but I can’t just ignore all the aforementioned points. I genuinely believe the mangaka is confused and hasn’t planned carefully enough the end of the series. Hajime Isayama (the mangaka) is known for being, to put it bluntly, greedy. The show was a HUGE hit in America, probably the biggest in the last decade. Its popularity in Japan was even bigger. I remember on one occasion Attack on Titan outdid One Piece in monthly rankings, and after it was lowered to second place the following month it maintained its no. 2 rank - it does so to this day. Countless spin-off mangas (which are c.rap, apart from the Levi one) of the series have been produced, and Isayama decided to change the ending of the original series because it was so popular!!! I lost respect for the guy at that point. He’s just extending the plot further to get those Japanese yen comin’. If you compare him to Oda (One Piece mangaka), who almost overworked himself to death twice, their planning is light years apart. Oda recently confirmed he already has the final panel sketched out! He knows where he is going and is aware of exactly of what he needs to do to get there.

So, most of what I said was negative stuff about the series. There are many positives about the anime and manga but I wanted to focus on the former.

Now watch Monster. A genuine masterpiece done by the legendary Naoki Urasawa. The anime and manga are equally good. 74 eps. Animated by Madhouse (the same studio that did Kaiji, and also the best anime studio out there).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msTB5r8nUHU

Your confusing revenge with justice. And if Eren was in charge of everything with his friends as his advisers than everyone living their would want to be like Eren and then the titans would be on the run.  But theirs is no consensus on the Resistance against the titans which is the heart of the problem. 

Dear brother @Vestige

My earlier joke aside, I want you to know that you're still my boy. I think you're a fine young man.

But in my opinion, each of the criticisms you have raised fall under one of these categories: a) based on incorrect assumptions, b) could apply to just about every anime ever, or c) could apply to just about every form of visual media ever.

Re: Eren

On the one hand, you say he is motivated by revenge. But on the other hand you acknowledge he was hot-blooded even before his mother was eaten. It stands to reason that maybe it's not just about personal revenge? (as br. @Martyrdom mentioned)

Bro he has every right to be angry at those garrison soldiers. Anger which is just related to one's personal status or condition is low; it's worthless. Eren's anger is a divine anger. The type of anger Imam Khomeini referred to when he said: "Preserve in your hearts your revolutionary anger and spite. Look upon your enemies with anger, and know that victory will be yours."

It does not just apply to armed struggle. It can apply to anything. If you walk into a store you know for a fact is owned by a Palestinian and you see he is selling Israeli biscuits, do you have no right to be angry? If you see a newspaper supposedly published by Iranians and they are endorsing Hillary Clinton, do you have no right to be angry? When you see some sellout puppet Arab prince talking to Lebanese Shia and telling THEM to have some Arab pride, do you have no right to be angry?

Eren's anger is not about petty personal issues. Make no mistake about this, as this has been made very clear from his actions, his words, as well as authentic narrations from other characters.

2aexyg.jpg

"Also, in Mikasa's flashback he somehow managed to overpower three grown men, kill two of them, and for some reason doesn't exhibit even the slightest bit of remorse; assuming they are the first people he has killed, you would expect a fifteen year old boy to at least question what he has done or show some sort of emotional response."

They were human sex traffickers. Why would Eren feel remorse about rubbing them out? Eren's brand of ethics is: 1) if one's survival is threatened, the source of that threat must be eradicated, and 2) those who commit injustice are scum. Eren does not subscribe to urban bourgeois liberal wannabe ethics.

"As for Mikasa, well, her motivations are also simple and boring: protect Eren. It's as if her character can't exist without him."

Eren saved her from a life of sex slavery. I'm not a girl, but if I was, and if I was put in that situation, I am pretty damn sure I would pretty attached to whomever saved me from that.

"also defeating the whole idea of ‘nobody is safe’ --- the MC’s are all plot-armoured."

Here's the thing: firstly, nearly every single form of visual media has plot-armored characters. This is the way of life. Why would anyone want to watch something, get attached to a character, and then have him die just a few episodes in? Aside from the shock value, what does that accomplish? I don't mind if Eren dies at the end or something, but having him die after a couple episodes would have been super-lame. It's not clever or edgy, it's just shock value.

And since you mentioned Oda as a good contrast to Isayama... ahem. Is there anyone less willing to kill off a character than Ichiiro Oda? (BTW congrats to my second favorite Ichiiro on getting his 3000th hit)

"So many were killed, but who cares? We didn’t know anything about them. Why should we care? --- a few examples are the members of Levi’s squad."

I thought their deaths were pretty powerful. The whole time on that mission, they are building up to showing off the great strength of this squad, and then they show it, but then they also show how much their strength dwarfed in comparison to Annie's. Also, how can you say that these deaths were done for shock but then criticize the fact that Eren wasn't killed?

"Side characters like Sasha, who is defined by her sole idiosyncratic obsession with potatoes, are there for lame comic relief."

And in Death Note, L liked to snack a lot. Dude, welcome to anime. A lot of characters have "quirks," or idiosyncracies as you mentioned. That's part of this medium. I am not familiar with a single anime that does not have at least a little bit of this element. Approximately ten thousand percent of One Piece characters are nothing more than a quirk, in fact. It makes no sense to single out one anime for something that is completely ubiquitous in the anime world.

"All they need to do is slice the ankles of a normal titan (two guys should be enough) and have the third gut slice the nape of the neck as the titan is temporarily immobilized."

A normal titan might not be intimidating on its own, but it's pretty easy to scare away a lone wolf. (Just make yourself look big, stand your ground, and talk in a deep voice). It's when they come in packs that's the problem. (spoilers) Also, when they are commanded by an advanced titan like the bestial titan, there is also a clear problem in taking them down. (/spoilers)

"the story switches to politics, which was definitely interesting, but the nobles (who were the villains, as you know) and the ordinary citizens were presented in black ‘n white fashion yet again: the nobles are bad for their policies, the peasants are good because they’re the victims."

It's more than just that. Although yes, that's a part of it. And there is nothing wrong with expressing that; it's simple and nothing new, but it's a timeless truth. The one who lives comfortably at the costs of others' suffering is deserving of a black and white perception. But there is more to it than that. (spoilers) Many of the elements, we do not have full knowledge of yet. For example, we know that this walled world was created in order for titans to govern humans. We do not know exactly what this entails but we know it to be true. I personally think the politics in this universe has limitless potential, especially given the suspicious relationship between the human ruling class and the titans. (/spoilers)

"the colossal titan appears when he feels like it, kicks the walls down, and disappears again. If a conflict can be created out of thin air and be undone just as easily, and no one can do anything about it, it is plot convenience."

Welcome to visual media, bro. You will not find a single movie or series which does not have plot holes. Are you familiar with the youtube channel "Cinema Sins"? Their slogan is: no film is without sin. They tear apart good movies and bad movies alike by pointing out all of their plot holes. I don't consider the presence of plot holes to be a flaw unless it affects one's suspension of disbelief (i.e. "how the heck is Jason Bourne affording all these damned plane tickets? Does he have some side job I don't know about?"). Fictional materials, and visual ones in particular, cannot be expected to mirror real life exactly. In a fantasy adventure setting, especially, there are bound to be some plot holes or conveniences.

"Hajime Isayama (the mangaka) is known for being, to put it bluntly, greedy."

Hey, if I made something that was successful, and I had the chance to set myself up for life, who's to say I wouldn't take advantage? If the spin-offs are crap, that doesn't affect me. I can just avoid reading them. If he changed his ending, as long as it's good, I don't mind.

Re: Oda and One Piece. Many of the criticisms you have made here certainly apply to One Piece. Personally I loved One Piece's East Blue Saga, I think it's brilliantly emotional, poignant and fun. As a whole, it's still a good series although I will never feel the same way about it as I did for the first 50 or so episodes. But I will say this: whether it was by design or by profit-seeking, no series is going to exhaust its fan base more than OP. Oda wants it to go on another 10 years. That's 25 years total. That would make this series as old as a person who can rent a car without paying extra. Ain't nobody got time for that. This series could have been way way shorter.

So when it's all said and done, disregarding the respective intentions of the respective mangaka, the proof is in the pudding. I don't mind Isayama's confusion as long as it turn out good.

@baradar_jackson

My earlier joke aside, I want you to know that you're still my boy. I think you're a fine young man.

kaiji%2B01.png

Bro, all the soldiers were doing were lazing off, which is understandable considering the titans haven’t been around for a century – a century! And yet Eren is for some reason certain that the titans will come and break down the walls, which they do later on --- it’s as if he read the script. Either way, it is unnatural. He is a fifteen year old boy born in a titan-free world, yet he talks as if he’s seen one face to face.

They were human sex traffickers. Why would Eren feel remorse about rubbing them out? Eren's brand of ethics is: 1) if one's survival is threatened, the source of that threat must be eradicated, and 2) those who commit injustice are scum. Eren does not subscribe to urban bourgeois liberal wannabe ethics.

Eren has zero combat experience and has never witnessed death in his life. How can he just take the life of two people so easily? I understand that he despises these people and has a ‘divine anger’, as you put it, but this behaviour is just not natural for a kid at that age, even if he does espouse such stringent principles. Isayama should have to done Eren what he did to Mikasa: gradually convey Eren’s distaste for the world around him through subtle hints (via flahsback). Remember when Mikasa was gardening with her mother and she saw and insect devouring another insect, and when her father brought back a dead animal he shot from hunting? The viewer gets to see her perception of the world transform --- she sees it as inherently cruel, but also beautiful (through her interactions were Eren later on). This way Eren’s actions would have been slightly more believable. It’s a shame these themes are forgotten about later on. All that aside, the scene was devoid of logic. Why in the heavens is the trafficker standing there letting Eren talk while strangling him (how is he even able to talk?), and why doesn’t he turn around and kill Mikasa – a grown male is capable of that much, right?  

Eren saved her from a life of sex slavery. I'm not a girl, but if I was, and if I was put in that situation, I am pretty damn sure I would pretty attached to whomever saved me from that.

Ok, but that still makes her a bit bland. Is that the only purpose she serves, to protect Eren? Even if her motivations make sense, that doesn’t make her interesting from a characterization standpoint.

Here's the thing: firstly, nearly every single form of visual media has plot-armored characters. This is the way of life. Why would anyone want to watch something, get attached to a character, and then have him die just a few episodes in? Aside from the shock value, what does that accomplish? I don't mind if Eren dies at the end or something, but having him die after a couple episodes would have been super-lame. It's not clever or edgy, it's just shock value.

My point was that in a world where death is so frequent, the MC’s and side characters magically make it through physically (and sometimes psychologically) unharmed. Like I said before, Jean was the only one whose mindset changed. Now, I’m not saying they all have to die, but if, say, Armin, Jean, or Mikasa lost a limb or two, it would make the idea that anyone and everyone is equally as susceptible to the wrath of the titans, more believable. And we knew from the moment Eren got his leg and arm cut off, and then eaten, there was no way he was actually dead.

And since you mentioned Oda as a good contrast to Isayama... ahem. Is there anyone less willing to kill off a character than Ichiiro Oda? (BTW congrats to my second favorite Ichiiro on getting his 3000th hit)

I simply used Oda to demonstrate how he has everything laid out well ahead of time in comparison to Isayama. I know Oda would never kill off fan-favourite characters lol. To be honest, I think he’s a mediocre writer overall.

I thought their deaths were pretty powerful. The whole time on that mission, they are building up to showing off the great strength of this squad, and then they show it, but then they also show how much their strength dwarfed in comparison to Annie's. Also, how can you say that these deaths were done for shock but then criticize the fact that Eren wasn't killed?

Agreed. It was, like with Eren’s mother’s death (great scene btw), powerful for all intents and purposes. But it could’ve had more of an impact if we knew more about Petra and the other two. Ten chapters ahead of time, everyone forgot about those three characters, precisely because the author never bothered to flesh them out --- they were expendable. As for Eren, I guess I wanted him dead out of impulse (kinda irrational, I know). This kind of thing (the MC seemingly dying only to return with a power minutes later) isn’t uncommon with shounen anime, so I guess I just wanted something different. For me, the plot was ruined as soon as Eren came back. Until that point things were going relatively well.  

And in Death Note, L liked to snack a lot. Dude, welcome to anime. A lot of characters have "quirks," or idiosyncracies as you mentioned. That's part of this medium. I am not familiar with a single anime that does not have at least a little bit of this element. Approximately ten thousand percent of One Piece characters are nothing more than a quirk, in fact. It makes no sense to single out one anime for something that is completely ubiquitous in the anime world.

But Sasha’s idiosyncrasy is her only defining trait – that was my point. Sure, L snacked a lot, but he had more to him than just sitting the way he does, and pouring abnormal amounts of sugar into his tea. I’m well aware of the use of this ‘trope’ in anime (seen nearly 300 of ‘em), and it’s a very good trope because, considering they’re used properly, they make characters distinct. But these quirks should never ever be all there is to his/her persona.

A normal titan might not be intimidating on its own, but it's pretty easy to scare away a lone wolf. (Just make yourself look big, stand your ground, and talk in a deep voice). It's when they come in packs that's the problem. (spoilers) Also, when they are commanded by an advanced titan like the bestial titan, there is also a clear problem in taking them down.(/spoilers)

But the soldiers are soldiers – it’s their job to take the titans down, and they’ve been trained on how to do it. The series is supposed to be about survival, about how humanity must overcome these trials. I’m sure they could have found a way to deal with abnormals and titan shifters.

It's more than just that. Although yes, that's a part of it. And there is nothing wrong with expressing that; it's simple and nothing new, but it's a timeless truth. The one who lives comfortably at the costs of others' suffering is deserving of a black and white perception. But there is more to it than that. (spoilers) Many of the elements, we do not have full knowledge of yet. For example, we know that this walled world was created in order for titans to govern humans. We do not know exactly what this entails but we know it to be true. I personally think the politics in this universe has limitless potential, especially given the suspicious relationship between the human ruling class and the titans. (/spoilers)

Hmmm, I’ll accept that point. I’ll withhold my judgment until the series finishes.

Welcome to visual media, bro. You will not find a single movie or series which does not have plot holes. Are you familiar with the youtube channel "Cinema Sins"? Their slogan is: no film is without sin. They tear apart good movies and bad movies alike by pointing out all of their plot holes. I don't consider the presence of plot holes to be a flaw unless it affects one's suspension of disbelief (i.e. "how the heck is Jason Bourne affording all these damned plane tickets? Does he have some side job I don't know about?"). Fictional materials, and visual ones in particular, cannot be expected to mirror real life exactly. In a fantasy adventure setting, especially, there are bound to be some plot holes or conveniences.

Right, but when illogical moments/plot holes/convenience inhibits one’s viewing experience, affect the story, become commonplace or become too noticeable to ignore, I can’t just pass it off because every movie or TV show out there has the same problem. I realize nothing is perfect, and that the colossal titan problem can be excused by the fact that this is a super-power action series aimed at boys between ten and twenty. But there are other series such as FMA: Brotherhood (which I consider to be, as do many others, the greatest shounen ever made) and Hunter x Hunter (second best) that keep these problems to a bare minimum – you wouldn’t even be able to notice them.

And yeah, I'm familiar with Cinema Sins. Some of their reasons for sinning a scene is done for intentional comedy, other's are actually logical lol.

Hey, if I made something that was successful, and I had the chance to set myself up for life, who's to say I wouldn't take advantage? If the spin-offs are crap, that doesn't affect me. I can just avoid reading them. If he changed his ending, as long as it's good, I don't mind.

My main problem with him is that he altered what could’ve have been a great ending – an ending that might’ve been disappointing (yet perfectly logical) to many (e.g. Mikasa might have been killed off) – to one where everyone gets a happy conclusion, all because his characters became popular in Japan. If I were a mangaka, the ending is the first thing I’d figure out.

Re: Oda and One Piece. Many of the criticisms you have made here certainly apply to One Piece. Personally I loved One Piece's East Blue Saga, I think it's brilliantly emotional, poignant and fun. As a whole, it's still a good series although I will never feel the same way about it as I did for the first 50 or so episodes. But I will say this: whether it was by design or by profit-seeking, no series is going to exhaust its fan base more than OP. Oda wants it to go on another 10 years. That's 25 years total. That would make this series as old as a person who can rent a car without paying extra. Ain't nobody got time for that. This series could have been way way shorter.

Agreed for the most part. In fact, some of the criticisms levelled at Attack on Titan are worse in One Piece (also extremely overrated). In the latest interview he said he has the series 65% done. So I think another ten years is a bit of a stretch. The thing is with OP, though, is that Oda loves his series, characters and all, and has all future arcs planned out. That’s why I don’t mind if it goes on for a long while. 

Edited by Vestige

@Vestige

Bro I didn't forget about you. Just was lazy because these replies take time.

Regarding this:

Bro, all the soldiers were doing were lazing off, which is understandable considering the titans haven’t been around for a century – a century! And yet Eren is for some reason certain that the titans will come and break down the walls, which they do later on --- it’s as if he read the script. Either way, it is unnatural. He is a fifteen year old boy born in a titan-free world, yet he talks as if he’s seen one face to face.

There is two types of knowledge: ilm hudhoori, and ilm husooli. The former is knowledge by presence. Like if you yourself see and perceive something directly. The latter is knowledge which is transmitted.

I can tell you this: I have ilm hudhoori that these traits of Eren are 100 percent natural. Why? Because that's been my life.

Unlike bro @Martyrdom who was dodging mortars during the Lebanese civil war, I have never lived through war. I was born around when the Iran-Iraq war ended; I have never known anything but peace and stability. The closest thing to war I've seen is just a petty drive-by shooting. I am not a child of war but I am very familiar with this hatred. I know it all too well.

Just because Eren has not seen a titan, or seen a war, does not mean he is incapable of feeling this hatred. After all, he lives in a prison. He knows there is a world beyond those walls, and he knows that the titans are the reason he cannot explore it.

It would be like expecting a ten year old Lebanese kid -- who has never seen war -- to be completely ambivalent towards Israel. It's just not logical.

"Eren has zero combat experience and has never witnessed death in his life. How can he just take the life of two people so easily? I understand that he despises these people and has a ‘divine anger’, as you put it, but this behaviour is just not natural for a kid at that age, even if he does espouse such stringent principles. Isayama should have to done Eren what he did to Mikasa: gradually convey Eren’s distaste for the world around him through subtle hints (via flahsback). Remember when Mikasa was gardening with her mother and she saw and insect devouring another insect, and when her father brought back a dead animal he shot from hunting? The viewer gets to see her perception of the world transform --- she sees it as inherently cruel, but also beautiful (through her interactions were Eren later on). This way Eren’s actions would have been slightly more believable. It’s a shame these themes are forgotten about later on. All that aside, the scene was devoid of logic. Why in the heavens is the trafficker standing there letting Eren talk while strangling him (how is he even able to talk?), and why doesn’t he turn around and kill Mikasa – a grown male is capable of that much, right?"

When faced with a life or death situation, people have shown themselves capable of transcending their physical limitations. As for the incompetence of the smugglers... well what can you do. It's the same reason the baddies in Hollywood have terrible aim. There is nothing to be done about it because if we were to nitpick at everything that doesn't make sense in a TV show we would be incapable of enjoying anything. Also: it would be impossible to make them.

My point was that in a world where death is so frequent, the MC’s and side characters magically make it through physically (and sometimes psychologically) unharmed. Like I said before, Jean was the only one whose mindset changed. Now, I’m not saying they all have to die, but if, say, Armin, Jean, or Mikasa lost a limb or two, it would make the idea that anyone and everyone is equally as susceptible to the wrath of the titans, more believable. And we knew from the moment Eren got his leg and arm cut off, and then eaten, there was no way he was actually dead.

Once you get caught up you will see a very important character die.

My main problem with him is that he altered what could’ve have been a great ending – an ending that might’ve been disappointing (yet perfectly logical) to many (e.g. Mikasa might have been killed off) – to one where everyone gets a happy conclusion, all because his characters became popular in Japan. If I were a mangaka, the ending is the first thing I’d figure out.

Generally speaking, I like seeing my favorite characters live... for most of the series. I don't mind seeing them die at the end. If he changed that sort of thing, I'm not with that. But still, I have hope that even the "new" ending is good.

Overall, I think we are looking at different things. You are looking at more practical elements: the lack of depth of certain characters, the competence/incompetence of the Scouting Corps, the convenient plot twists, and so on. You are looking at the details.

For me - and I am not saying my way of looking at it is necessarily better than yours, but I like to look at it from a much greater distance. I look at: what kind of worldview is it espousing? Does it espouse this worldview in a way that is stylistically appealing? And then: does it have characters I can relate to? (In this case that would be Eren Jeager). I can forgive Petra not being fleshed out, or Sasha's potato/food obsession. (They later give a lame explanation of this, by the way: she was living off of hunting, and the game were dwindling in population). These things do not negatively impact my viewing experience because I am too distracted by the things that made me like the series; namely, the worldview (some would call it militaristic; I call it defiant), the attitude (a non-stop roller coasted between grim and hopeful), and the style (not even sure if you can call it steampunk... maybe ironpunk?).

I thank you for offering some criticisms that I hadn't considered before. But my overall feelings toward the show have not changed.

By the way I am trying to watch FMA. I think it's OK so far (three episodes in); does it get better later on?

@baradar_jackson

Bro I didn't forget about you. Just was lazy because these replies take time.

No worries bro, I know how you feel :) 

Overall, I think we are looking at different things. You are looking at more practical elements: the lack of depth of certain characters, the competence/incompetence of the Scouting Corps, the convenient plot twists, and so on. You are looking at the details.

The most important/valuable criterion for me to consider when evaluating a series is characters, not plot or themes. As they say, you can have characters without a plot, but not a plot without characters. But yeah, we might be looking at different things as well.

I thank you for offering some criticisms that I hadn't considered before. But my overall feelings toward the show have not changed.

Likewise.

By the way I am trying to watch FMA. I think it's OK so far (three episodes in); does it get better later on?

Broooo, stop right there. Watch FMA: Brotherhood --- it adapts the manga better (and completely) with much better art and animation. I said it before, but I think it's a masterpiece, and holds the top spot for the greatest battle-shounen of all time, mainly for its characters, plot consistency, pacing, and themes (which are gr8).

I'm actually nearing the end of a series that might just be the greatest piece of fiction I've ever experienced (plus I think you'll love it). Gonna recommend to ya'll once I've finished it (which will probably be today). 

Edited by Vestige

At one level this could be seen as a bit of cheap propaganda.

Basic premise is of the great lengths that drone managers and operatives will go to in order to avoid civilian casualties and the great ethical and moral debates that they have.

At one stage you feel sorrier for the trauma suffered by the drone operators than for their victims.

But there are some occasional points made that give a bit of balance. One of the characters argues that letting ISIS kill civilians is bad for ISIS's image and the suicide bombers should be allowed to continue their work vs. the counter argument that the bombers should be taken out even if it means civilian casualties - albeit the risk of the latter can be massaged down in order to let the hawks have their way.

So a multiplex range of perspectives.

But it does leave you to wonder that if someone had the agenda of attacking Muslims, destabilising Muslim countries and having foreign powers intervene in them and giving Islam a bad name, then funding ISIS would have been an excellent move.

Whatever the outcome you win.

If the terrorists succeed with their bombing, Islam gets hurt. If they get taken out by the drone beforehand it legitimises western military involvement in Muslim countries.

eye-in-the-sky-poster-lg.jpg

^^^^l thought that to be a good movie.

I saw Terrodactyl over the weekend, thrice on TV. I think it's funny.

OK, yeah l know, simplistic plots for the simple-minded**.

** American idiom for "kinda-stew-peed"

Edited by hasanhh

On 8/22/2016 at 2:15 AM, Vestige said:

The most important/valuable criterion for me to consider when evaluating a series is characters, not plot or themes. As they say, you can have characters without a plot, but not a plot without characters. But yeah, we might be looking at different things as well.

I agree on the importance of characters. I cannot enjoy a series if I cannot relate to the characters. The difference between your view and my view is: I consider Eren to be a relatable character.

Re: FMA

So brotherhood is not a sequel but a reboot? I should skip FMA entirely?

6 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Does it have lite blasphemy like FMA? Because to be honest, that really turns me off even if I like the rest of the series.

Unfortunately yeah. That's one of the things that bothered me as well. Religion is a huge theme in the series and deals with it in its own way. The first time watching I thought it painted religion as something entirely bad, but upon completion I realised that wasn't the case. But your discomfort is understandable. Hopefully it doesn't hinder your experience too much.

Edited by Vestige

Just finished watching what is regarded as not only the greatest anime of all time, but the greatest war epic to be told in any form of media, and one of the greatest pieces of fiction in general --- Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. What a journey it was! The characters were incredibly well-written, the thematic exploration was endless, and the sheer scale of the series is something to be awed. Never seen anything like it. 

Synopsis:

For 150 years the galaxy has been locked in an interstellar war between the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance, fighting battles with thousands of spaceships and millions of soldiers on both sides. The crumbling Goldenbaum dynasty rules the Empire while the Alliance is in an increasingly dysfunctional democratic state.

Two new commanders enter the stage: Imperial Admiral Reinhard von Lohengramm and the FPA's Yang Wen-Li. Reinhard is a talented minor aristocrat given a high station—and a powerful grudge—after the Kaiser took his older sister as a concubine. Wen-Li originally joined the military only to fund his university education, but has become a brilliant though reluctant leader. Each begins to attract a circle of similarly gifted soldiers, generals and thinkers around him, and in time the rivalry between these two very different men will shatter the existing stalemate. As they deal with superiors and subordinates, manoeuvre through personal and political problems, plot strategies and fight battles, both will bend the course of events to their will and, in turn, be tested and changed by the greatest war in human history!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a vast, sentimental and thoughtful military space opera. This 110-episode OVA is the central part of the franchise, and the other connected titles are supplements to it.

Background on the anime:

Legend of the Galactic heroes was adapted from a series of ten novels, published 1982–87, by Yoshiki Tanaka. The novels won the Seiun Award for the best long-form Japanese science fiction in 1988.

At the start of its production the anime was distributed through a subscription system in which episodes were mailed to existing fans of the novels. It was made in four separate tranches over nearly a decade, with the production of side-stories continuing for several further years. The main series has the largest voice cast of any anime, with well over 300 voice actors, and it is the longest OVA series ever made.

Details:

Episodes: 110

Aired: 1988-1997

Recommended watching order:

Two prequel movies:

1a) Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Waga Yuku wa Hoshi no Taikai (trans. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars) 

1b) Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Arata Naru Tatakai no Overture (trans. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War)

2) Then the main series: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: (start from episode 3)

Kissanime.to would be the best site to watch it on.

@baradar_jackson - bruh, I know for a fact you’ll love it. It gives Kaiji a run for its money.