Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Have You Watched Recently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Chaotic Muslem

• Veteran Member

What do you think of post apocalyptic movies?

I'm starting to dislike them and be suspicious about them. They do demoralize modern humans , portraying societies in worse light than animals.

I was thinking about them when I saw those riots after the killing of black man, people start destroying private properties and looted stores. That's very irrational behaviour.

As if, it is either we as politicians protect you or you will eat each others alive.

I know Islam favors the state over the anarchy, but Islam dose not promote the state as substitute to individual insight of what's right and what's wrong.

What do you think?

• Advanced Member

Oh man, wrong thread. But I can't delete  :cry:

Since it's supposed to be for analysis, I'll post one. 

Nightcrawler 2014

nightcrawler-poster.jpg

The link takes you to a trailer of the movie.

Warning, there's a song with vocals at the end. Also, there's a bit of blood and gore. Not suitable for underage individuals. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8kYDQan8bw

I personally love the lead character, a pinch of autism and a sprinkle of psychopath- an explosively erratic personality.

Loved.it. 

Edit: 

Using brother Haji's comment as guidance, I'll give my opinion regarding this movie. 

Unlike many movies today, this movie had no nudity or sexual scenes. It's pretty clean, with the only thing keeping young audiences away being the gore and the lead character himself. I watched this movie after hearing someone claiming to have watched it 8x consecutively. I thought, why would they do this? I now realise why, it's brilliant! The main character is so different and so sick, you can't help yourself but watch him over and over and over. And sometimes, in terrifying moments, you realise, he's not so different from you. Because essentially, all he wanted was a job, to be recognised, loved and appreciated. 

It makes you wonder whether the plot holds some truth, or some reflection of journalism in the real world. Who are these people who bring us the news? What and how do they do this? What goes through their mind when they get to the fronts? 

It's very interesting :D 

Edited by NoorA.95

• Forum Administrators

American Sniper

Eminently watchable, lots of action and as you'd expect from Eastwood introspection as well. 

You could question the fact that the film takes for granted the motivation to go to war on the basis of 9/11. And for some sections of the American public it will simply reinforce the idea that it was a just war. On the other hand it simply reflects the reality of how the war was presented to Americans.

There's also nothing of the atrocities that the American soldiers themselves carried out. So to that extent it presents a very one-sided view. Nevertheless, it clearly illustrates how the average soldier is left to carry the physical and physiological wounds of war and in that the film shows how the costs of revenge for 9/11 have been unequally shared - and you could see that as enough of a damnation of the entire exercise.
Edited by Haji 2003

• Veteran Member

Black November -

--the title is apparently a play on "Black September" with Bruce Dern

--portrays, in a sanitized fashion, living conditions in the Niger Delta

--the 40+ minute Extra Feature is very good

• Forum Administrators

A very taut, ppwerful and tense film about some British soldiers in Afghanistan. Just shows how a good script trumps everything else, every time. No women, but lots of swearing.

kajaki.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Guys I am in the middle of a pretty amazing anime. 

It's called Kaiji. Magma recommended it to me and I have been pretty obsessed with it ever since. It's only 26 episodes long by the way.

kaiji-and-group.png

I don't even want to go into the details because i feel that will detract from what this series really is. Let me just put it this way: this anime depicts people trying to survive in a world which is designed to make them suffer to the benefit of certain elites. Most of them survive in the same manner as animals. But amidst all of this, one man -- Kaiji -- rises above them and survives in the manner befitting a man.

It has a lot of themes but I have to say the main theme is social injustice, the sadism of those who perpetrate it, and the ineptitude and backwardness of those who are exploited by it. 

I am on episode 17. One warning I need to give as to its contents, but this warning only applies to girls (meaning, guys have no cause for concern): there are two episodes so far where there are some scenes you can't see. 

My one complaint is that the titular character's jacket features the South Korean and Taiwanese flags. (two fake countries which I can't stand)

• Advanced Member

السلام عليكم

It's called Kaiji. Magma recommended it to me and I have been pretty obsessed with it ever since. It's only 26 episodes long by the way.

There are 52 episodes but episode 14 of season 2 is a recap episode, so there are 51 unique episodes.

You are most likely watching Suffering Pariah Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor. Season 2 is called Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji Hakairoku Hen (Suffering Pariah Kaiji: Against All Rules).

You can download them here if you wish:

anime.thehylia.com/downloads/series/gyakkyou-burai-kaiji-hakairoku-hen

I can tell from your review that you're not a loser like me, so congrats. :)

Edited by estoc

• Forum Administrators

Guys I am in the middle of a pretty amazing anime. 

There are two seasons, Season 1 and Season 2.  Each contain 26 episodes.

• Veteran Member

I can tell from your review that you're not a loser like me, so congrats. :)

I don't get it.

There are two seasons, Season 1 and Season 2.  Each contain 26 episodes.

Yeah sorry about the mistake.

So I'm 21 episodes into it now. I have never been so immersed into a series. Here is how it sucks you in: 1) it takes the most simple games imaginable and gives them an element of strategy I would never have dreamed of conceiving. This makes it very suspenseful. 2) the moral repercussions are very deep. If you're watching this series, you NEED Kaiji to win. If Kaiji loses, you are devastated. 3) This is related to #2, but essentially: Kaiji is an amazing character. He makes it impossible for the viewer to be detached from the outcome of the series. 

I can't recommend this series enough. 

• Veteran Member

Kaiji...

I am speechless, really.

I am now right in the thick of season 2. What an epic series.

When I first started watching, I thought: well this is a nice suspenseful series. A lot of strategies and mind games, a la Death Note. 

But it is so much more than that, and that is why I say it exceeds Death Note by a great margin.

I was so surprised by all the moral, spiritual, and political elements of this series. It is the perfect series. It is flawless. 

One of the observations I made (which I am sure all of you who have watched or are watching the series will immediately identify), is the message of wilayah.

Kaiji needs companions in order to implement his plan. No matter how useless and pathetic his companions are without Kaiji's leadership, they each need each other. And Kaiji, no matter how often he is betrayed, never despairs in delegating affairs to others. He never transgresses the bounds of justice even though he suffers injustice constantly. He always identifies who the correct enemy is, even in times when most people resort to fitnah and infighting. 

Everything in the Kaiji universe is an allegory of our world. Exploitative elite pushes cheap, fleeting thrills on the masses and the masses are stupid enough to drown in this drunken stupor. But Kaiji. although he sometimes strays, he always gets back on the straight path, a path which leads him toward wanting to destroy this entire corrupt world. 

No matter how much I describe this series, nothing will be sufficient. Just do yourself a favor and watch it. It's hwdddhesdksehsef amazing. 

• Veteran Member

Kaiji...

I am speechless, really.

I am now right in the thick of season 2. What an epic series.

When I first started watching, I thought: well this is a nice suspenseful series. A lot of strategies and mind games, a la Death Note. 

But it is so much more than that, and that is why I say it exceeds Death Note by a great margin.

I was so surprised by all the moral, spiritual, and political elements of this series. It is the perfect series. It is flawless. 

One of the observations I made (which I am sure all of you who have watched or are watching the series will immediately identify), is the message of wilayah.

Kaiji needs companions in order to implement his plan. No matter how useless and pathetic his companions are without Kaiji's leadership, they each need each other. And Kaiji, no matter how often he is betrayed, never despairs in delegating affairs to others. He never transgresses the bounds of justice even though he suffers injustice constantly. He always identifies who the correct enemy is, even in times when most people resort to fitnah and infighting. 

Everything in the Kaiji universe is an allegory of our world. Exploitative elite pushes cheap, fleeting thrills on the masses and the masses are stupid enough to drown in this drunken stupor. But Kaiji. although he sometimes strays, he always gets back on the straight path, a path which leads him toward wanting to destroy this entire corrupt world. 

No matter how much I describe this series, nothing will be sufficient. Just do yourself a favor and watch it. It's hwdddhesdksehsef amazing. 

I have one problem with kaiji which annoys me is at the end of season one when he refused to take the money and got greedy and challenged the old man. If he could have taken the money he could have easily paid his debt, paid his friends wife and would have been left with 3 million. He lost some points with me when he refused.

• Veteran Member

I have one problem with kaiji which annoys me is at the end of season one when he refused to take the money and got greedy and challenged the old man. If he could have taken the money he could have easily paid his debt, paid his friends wife and would have been left with 3 million. He lost some points with me when he refused.

I don't think we should look at it as a greed move. Yes, that's the way he argued to the old man: he said, "this isn't enough money."

But he already said his real motivation to his comrades: Tonegawa was just a lackey. Kaiji wanted to take down the head honcho, i.e. the perverse old man. 

Think of it this way: it would be nice if the Qatari royal family were deposed. But would that solve the root of the problem in the mideast?

The whole show is an allegory. The whole idea is that for the oppressed people, the struggle to get out of this situation is nothing more than a gamble, a gamble which has been systematically created for the house to always win. Kaiji had a chance to take down the source of all the oppression of him and his friends. And he had to take it. It's not about the money; 

BTW a warning to some who want to watch the show: there is some course language, but to be honest I never trust these English subs. I tend to think that the translator tries very hard not just to translate but to make it more culturally relevant. For example, at some times, "kami-sama" (which means God), is translated as "Lady Luck." Or the curse words, for example. I have watched enough anime to know that ksoyaro is some kind of insult. But I have seen it get translated in about 4 different ways. The problem is that the words they translate them to are very bad English words, but I see this word being used in shows like Naruto which are meant to be family-friendly. So either way, you're gonna have to read some curse words. If that bothers you, avoid watching the show. 

Edited by baradar_jackson

• Advanced Member

Kaiji is fantastic and i even dare say inspirational and educative.

But i never thought someone would see wilaya in it.

Anyhow kaiji in my view is an epic struggle between higher human values like trust vs low human values like materialism and greed. Often the bad people in kaiji argue for the abscence of higher humam values and that humans do anything just for money if you only push them a bit. Higher human values are thus a scam. And kaiji tries like to disprove that.

Anyhow if you like kaiji you should read strongest man kurosawa its by the same creator. Themes like opression smd social justice are just as recurrent as they were in kaiji. I would even say more than in kaiji.

• Veteran Member

Rewatching now:

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

This movie is one of its kind. One of the best war movies ever. It was made in hollywood to their standards and it shows American stupidity, them getting owned, and the genius and valor of German soldiers and officers.