Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Chaotic Muslem

What Have You Watched Recently? [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Kind of marathoned Quentin Tarantino's films (over a few days).

Resevoir Dogs (Amazing. Hilarious at times. Dialogue was epic.)

Pulp Fiction (Kept me hooked all the way through.)

Jackie Brown (Excellent OST. Didn't enjoy as much as the above, but the characters were engaging.)

Inglourious Basterds (Meh. I didn't 'get it'.)

Already watched Kill Bill (Vol 1 & 2) a while ago, just need to watch Django Unchained when it is released, but seeing how Inglourious Basterds went, I'm not sure I'll like it so much.

Warning: All films are rated 18/R and can be extremely offensive. Watch at your peril. -_-

The number one film addict award goes to.....*drumroll*

WhiteSkies!!

The old M dies, sadly. No more of her again :cry:

Spoiler much?! :mad:

... Just yankin' ya. Already had it spoiled for me a while ago.

Just watched:

MV5BMjE2OTM5OTUyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI4Nzg3Nw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Ruby Sparks: Definitely not your typical rom-com.

Edited by Quaint

A fantastical mishmash. Can't fault the hilariousness of Brad Pitt though. Perfect acting.

I dunno, I expected something different I guess. I thought Christopher Waltz was wonderful though.

Oh, John Travolta is pretty epic in Pulp Fiction (only sayin' cause you said he was a bad actor).

The number one person with no life/procrastinator award goes to.....*drumroll*

WhiteSkies!!

Corrected for you. :Hijabi:

Oh, John Travolta is pretty epic in Pulp Fiction (only sayin' cause you said he was a bad actor).

Angry%20Samuel%20L%20Jackson.jpg

WUT?

I mean sure, he was aite in Pulp Fiction... but everyone simply knows Samuel L. literally MADE that movie. His character is still one of the best and most memorable for me of the 90's.

Angry%20Samuel%20L%20Jackson.jpg

WUT?

I mean sure, he was aite in Pulp Fiction... but everyone simply knows Samuel L. literally MADE that movie. His character is still one of the best and most memorable for me of the 90's.

I'm not disagreeing. I loved Samuel L Jackson in that. Just pointing out to Marbles that Travolta can act well too (cause he said Travolta was bad).

Bad? Naw. He's terrible!

Have you seen it? :o

Haha WS in that case I also fit that criteria :P

Y'know what they say, great minds think (in this case, act) alike. B)

Saw this in the cinemas when it came out, and saw it again the other day on Sky Premier... one of the most uplifting and funny films I've come across. Based on the novel 'These Foolish Things' although I haven't read it myself yet.

20121030133029%21The-best-exotic-marigold-hotel.jpg

A great cast of some of the best of British actors... all portraying these old farts/has-beens who take up residency in this supposedly luxurious and hotel/palace in India, only to be in for a bit of a shock, in most senses. The characters are brilliant, so much so, that you can be sure that there are people such as these out there, each one of them.

Apart from the British humour and the sceneries and soundtrack, above all, what I liked, is the message of the film, that despite being seasoned in age, it doesn't necessarily have to be over.

Or as the oft-repeated quote throughout the film: "Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right... then it's not yet the end"

Highly recommended. Great laughs and a nice ending.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

walkingdead.jpg

The Walking Dead - Season 1

More than zombies this series is about survival against all odds. Good plot line, strong characters and heart racing action, I must say. Promised of entertainment kept. Glen has to be my favourite character.

The Impossible(2012):

Based on the Indonesian Tsunami 2004, a family flies to Thailand for holidays, little did they know they will encounter the biggest natural disaster of their lives. A tale of family reunion. A must watch. 9/10.

post-89173-0-87656500-1357998800_thumb.j

Edited by Sapphire

Stand by Me

A story of four, witty and funny boys who go on a search for a dead body of a boy who was a similar age to them. It is an incredibly heartwarming and touching coming of age film. Boys of that age tend to annoy me, but these guys are so epic its impossible not to to root for them and wish them well. The icing on top of a already very fabulous cake, is that the dead older brother is played by John Cusack :squeez: Oh and it has a very good OST.

5/5

Note: a lot of profanity, so avoid if you dislike swearing or crude language

Edited by WhiteSkies

The American

Action/romance set in Italy, starring George Clooney. George Clooney plays an assassin/gun-smith.

I had mixed feelings for the film. It was very artistically done, and it was very different to most films of it's genre. There is very little verbal interaction in the film, the film is very much centred around the imagery and tones. However, I found the story to be quite shallow, and the film to be quite dull.

Overall, i'd give it a 3/5, and still recommend watching it, only for the beautifully artistic way it's been directed.

(WARNING: Contains violence and sex/nudity)

americanhistory.jpg

American History X - 1998

(Watched on the express recommendation of WhiteSkies).

It's a story of two American brothers who are sucked into the Neo-Nazi ideology and go on about cleaning their neighbourhood from social problems created by blacks and immigrants, or so they believed. The elder brother is gaoled for manslaughter where he learns his lessons and comes out as a changed man. His younger brother follows him into Neo-Nazi activities to his dismay.

The films weaves a complex and nuanced narrative in the first half, such as showing the human side of seemingly hateful Neo-Nazis who believe in spilling blood of everyone who is different from them and also informing us of the socioeconomic reasons that might lead intelligent and ordinary people down that path. However, the narrative falls short of pulling things together later on. The sudden change in protagonist's beliefs was rather simplistic and the ending put everything in disarray. The younger brother is killed in school by a black youth due to a previous grievance.

"Has anything you've done made your life better?" is arguably the film's punchline. Edward Norton has been excellent. Good film to watch. My rating 4/5.

Thank you WhiteSkies.

However, the narrative falls short of pulling things together later on. The sudden change in protagonist's beliefs was rather simplistic and the ending put everything in disarray. The younger brother is killed in school by a black youth due to a previous grievance.

When I first watched it, I also thought that it was unrealistic that such a little thing as a black man talking to him would change, what we assumed were his hardcore values so drastically. However, after thinking it over for a while, I realised that it was not as impossible as I once thought.

Derek (Edward Norton) doesn't seem to have much of a life or ambition apart from his nazi/racist values, so it gives him an identity; he is also in favour with the head of their group and his has a God-like status among the other neo-nazis. I don't think it is a stretch to see why he may want to keep those views, even if never truly believed in them. Furthermore, his father who he seemed to respect, had latent racist views which could have largely influenced him as a child. Prior to prison, he is never seen giving black people a chance, to him they would always be the enemy, whereas when he's in prision, Lamont is so inisistent on being friendly with him, that Derek begins to open up. I think the breaking point for his views was the deal between the black, hispanics, and whites in prison which show Derek how superificial his views were and that they are not really practical in real life.

The way I see it, his views were largely due to his surroundings, so they weren't that hard to give up when he actually began to open up and see the world as it truly is.

"Has anything you've done made your life better?" is arguably the film's punchline. Edward Norton has been excellent. Good film to watch. My rating 4/5.

Agreed. I need to watch Fight Club at some point, largely because I enjoyed the book, but also because Edward Norton is just epic.

Thank you WhiteSkies.

My pleasure. Now you know if you can trust my reccomendations or not. :angel:

Edited by WhiteSkies

When I first watched it, I also thought that it was unrealistic that such a little thing as a black man talking to him would change, what we assumed were his hardcore values so drastically. However, after thinking it over for a while, I realised that it was not as impossible as I once thought.

Derek (Edward Norton) doesn't seem to have much of a life or ambition apart from his nazi/racist values, so it gives him an identity; he is also in favour with the head of their group and his has a God-like status among the other neo-nazis. I don't think it is a stretch to see why he may want to keep those views, even if never truly believed in them. Furthermore, his father who he seemed to respect, had latent racist views which could have largely influenced him as a child. Prior to prison, he is never seen giving black people a chance, to him they would always be the enemy, whereas when he's in prision, Lamont is so inisistent on being friendly with him, that Derek begins to open up. I think the breaking point for his views was the deal between the black, hispanics, and whites in prison which show Derek how superificial his views were and that they are not really practical in real life.

The way I see it, his views were largely due to his surroundings, so they weren't that hard to give up when he actually began to open up and see the world as it truly is.

Yeah, the film challenges the idea that all hateful racists are essentially lost forever and, therefore, irredeemable (like Derek's mother's new boyfriend calls it: "He is gone"). This is where the film puts their human side to light.

In many cases they are ordinary people who are attracted to extreme views not out of sheer conviction but to seek easy answers and give meaning to their lives. This is the underlying thought.

Derek's change of heart itself wouldn't appear far fetched if it was better incorporated into his subsequent actions apart from impulsively punching his mentor. I think this twist in the tale could have been utilised better in the narrative. It could have led to a better ending too. Or perhaps I was expecting a bit too much from the plot after Derek's change of heart?

My pleasure. Now you know if you can trust my reccomendations or not. :angel:

Of course. Just make sure you don't recommend Christian Bale and John Travolta films :P

Saw it last night.

DjangoUnchainedOfficialPosterPT.jpg

Wow, another great Tarantino film. Excellent soundtrack. Action top notch. QT never fails to deliver.

And another epic performance and character by Samuel L. - this time as a house negro or as he himself described it, "the most despicable negro in cinematic history". Can this be my favourite QT film surpassing Pulp Fiction?, man it's a hard one. Leonardo Di Caprio was also an awesome villain.

5 stars. Easily.

Saw it last night.

DjangoUnchainedOfficialPosterPT.jpg

Wow, another great Tarantino film. Excellent soundtrack. Action top notch. QT never fails to deliver.

And another epic performance and character by Samuel L. - this time as a house negro or as he himself described it, "the most despicable negro in cinematic history". Can this be my favourite QT film surpassing Pulp Fiction?, man it's a hard one. Leonardo Di Caprio was also an awesome villain.

5 stars. Easily.

Christopher Walt stole the show again just like in Inglorious Basterds, the movie was awesome 5/5

Saw it last night.

5 stars. Easily.

Cool. I ought to watch this latest Tarantino flick. Any quality torrents out there or is that too early to ask? :donno:

Law-Abiding-Citizen---Dvd-O__65336_zoom.jpg

Recently watched this again. Its a damned shame what they could have done with the ending, but didn't. It could have gone to epic proportions of "Seven", but didn't. Overall, its probably a lot better than some sissy flicks being recommended in the thread now. But be warned, it is disturbing. However, if you hate the system as much as I do, or if you have had any experience with all those slimy police, lawyers and judges, you're simply going to love this.

I spent the weekend watching one of the recent HBO shows, this one is called 'Game of Thrones' - it was actually not bad, if you like things like Lord of the Rings, but are also into darker concepts, like incest, infanticide etc, then this is for you.

Like all other HBO shows, the characters are well written, good people don't always do good, bad people don't always do bad, even after 2 seasons, i could realise decide who I wanted to come out on top.

But there are much better ways to spend 20 hours.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Just watched this for the ??th time:

normal_Das_Boot_BD_MHD.jpg

poster.jpg

This is one of my all time favorites. Its a extraordinary kind of war movie. Its not very polite or pleasant at times (R rated). Realistic. Emotional. Serious. Do not watch this without:

- German audio w/ english subtitles. English dubbings are inaccurate and spoil the immersion.

- A large screen.

- Surround sound.

- Lights off.

- Everyone asleep so no one can disturb.

trade-innocents.jpg

Trade of Innocents (2012)

Why is self righteous indignation the preserve of the White West? Only if Edward Said was around to watch this film.

Cambodia. Child prostitution is rife. Since the local officials can't deal with it, they hire an American human trafficking expert to clean up their house. He has personal interest in the matter after he lost his young daughter to kidnappers (in the US, surprisingly) when he was on duty in Afghanistan.

So it begins. No one in Cambodia wants to do anything about it. "You Americans don't know anything about the Asian culture. The best way to survive is to remain silent", tells the Cambodian police chief who is deputed to the American agent to assist in operations. "You think by capturing one criminal you can change the system?", he asks again of the American later in the film.

Nearly all local Cambodians seem to be indifferent to the problem of child prostitution which should suddenly ignites massive levels of indignation and sorrow in the human heart. Those few who seem to want to do something about it are staff of the American agent and, one would think, doing it for money. Their good motives if any do not find expression in the film's narrative. Moreover, only one grandpa and his granddaughter who put some resistance are shown to be Cambodian-Americans, who left America for Cambodia after some family tragedy befell them.

To give some credit to the film and on a positive note, it does show us how acute poverty turns out to play its role. Even those few girls who are rescued eventually leave rehabilitation centres to go back to brothels so that "they can provide for their families". Compulsions of basic survival probably blinds parents who are depicted as willing to sell their daughters to traffickers without a hint of pain and a trace of shame.

Even if I ignore old school Orientalism and judge it by the merits of good film making, it still falls way short of anything worth applauding. It's a blandly linear plot with oversimplified scene of the capturing of the ringleader. Happy ending!! I'd say 1/5 but I'm generous so 2/5.

http://gulgasht.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/movie-trade-of-innocents-2012/