Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Hassan_S

Why Do Animals Suffer?

Rate this topic

Salamualaykum

1) We go through hardship because we are under examination, so since animals are not, then why do they suffer? get ill, hurt etc...What about mentally ill people?

2) What is the wisdom behind slaughtering animals to eat and the suffering which they go through? (if they do suffer)

Thanx in advance

I think the first question to consider is - do animals have souls and if yes, how are they different from those of humans?

My belief is that anything that has the ability to feel pain, pleasure, has desires, cognitions, etc. has a soul. Assuming animals do feel these, it would follow that they have a soul?

How are they different from human souls? Per Hinduism, there is movement/transmigration of souls between animal kingdom and humankind.

Here, there are divergent views (within Hinduism) - some say a birth in an animal kingdom is only for the exhaustion of good/bad karma earned in a previous human birth. Some say, there IS free will/moral decisions to be made within the animal kingdom that makes the soul evolve spiritually into the higher human realm.

I do not have any view one way or the other - but either of these options tends to go a little way in explaining evil and suffering in animals, IMHO.

Regarding slaughtering animals to eat - I find the notion difficult to digest (no pun intended). I am a vegetarian and hence spare myself from this moral dilemma. Do plants feel pain? I feel they do but a lot less than animals. Hence, being vegetarian is the lesser of two evils for me.

Is not halal slaughtering supposed to kill animals without having them feel pain? (I find the notion of "painless death" ironic, but I had to ask nonetheless.)

such a tough question....

i remember as a child i asked my Islamic teacher if animals go to heaven, and she simply said that they dont since they are considered to have as much of a soul as a lifeless inanimate object such as a rock. The answer really shoot me down, it was a pretty bad feeling . But to this day i try to refuse to believe that.

Specially since in Islam, it is beleieved all animals are always saying they name of Allah.... but then again, i dont think they dont have the mind to question that and do otherwise.

really dont know anything on this matter

Edited by Reshad

I don't see any difference in eating animals or plants. I don't feel that they are different. They are just food. No moral dilemma here.

I am not sure if animals even have an afterlife. Some people claim that animals would be in paradise since we have a surah in the Quran which praise the companions of the cave and their guardian dog.

I am not sure if animals even have an afterlife. Some people claim that animals would be in paradise since we have a surah in the Quran which praise the companions of the cave and their guardian dog.

There may be a difference in the POV here. In Hinduism, it is the self that reincarnates, not the body. In Islam, it is the body that reincarnates/gets resurrected, right?

I don't see any difference in eating animals or plants. I don't feel that they are different. They are just food. No moral dilemma here.

I dont believe this. Like, I trust your honesty, but I think if you were given a plant, that when you bit it, it just sat there...verses a live animal, that if you bit it, it would scream in pain...

Id assume you wouldnt see them the same way.

Some animals are very smart. They have emotions and feelings like we do. Some animals I could not lay a finger on, not unless it was an extreme case of survival.

Everything on this Earth is to serve us humans in one way or another. Animals are just food sources or companions such as hunting dogs, riding horses, or donkeys that haul heavy stuff. We aren't supposed to mistreat them, even Imam Hussein as gave the horses water when he was in thirst.

But we shouldn't humanize them as the western world does where they take a cat or dog and act like its a human baby or something...

Edited by Goku

I think the first question to consider is - do animals have souls and if yes, how are they different from those of humans?

My belief is that anything that has the ability to feel pain, pleasure, has desires, cognitions, etc. has a soul. Assuming animals do feel these, it would follow that they have a soul?

How are they different from human souls? Per Hinduism, there is movement/transmigration of souls between animal kingdom and humankind.

Here, there are divergent views (within Hinduism) - some say a birth in an animal kingdom is only for the exhaustion of good/bad karma earned in a previous human birth. Some say, there IS free will/moral decisions to be made within the animal kingdom that makes the soul evolve spiritually into the higher human realm.

I do not have any view one way or the other - but either of these options tends to go a little way in explaining evil and suffering in animals, IMHO.

Regarding slaughtering animals to eat - I find the notion difficult to digest (no pun intended). I am a vegetarian and hence spare myself from this moral dilemma. Do plants feel pain? I feel they do but a lot less than animals. Hence, being vegetarian is the lesser of two evils for me.

Is not halal slaughtering supposed to kill animals without having them feel pain? (I find the notion of "painless death" ironic, but I had to ask nonetheless.)

brother!!! how ur pov has become that plants feel less pain than animals?

ws.

brother!!! how ur pov has become that plants feel less pain than animals?

From a naturalistic POV, plants have a lesser developed nervous system than animals. Also, I think on the evolutionary/sentience tree, the distance between plants and homo sapiens is greater than the distance between humans and animals. [i could be wrong here.]

From an empirical POV, when I eat a plant it does not appear that the plant is weeping/running away screaming. Animals do.

All this points to plants not suffering as much as animals when killed.

In any case, all of this is relevant only if plants DO have a self. As I indicated, the mark of a soul/self is the ability to experience pleasure, pain, cognition, etc. Do you agree with this?

Salamualaykum

1) We go through hardship because we are under examination, so since animals are not, then why do they suffer? get ill, hurt etc...What about mentally ill people?

2) What is the wisdom behind slaughtering animals to eat and the suffering which they go through? (if they do suffer)

Thanx in advance

after so many problems in the whole world, are we moving towards religion? do we take religion seriously?

answer is no!!! Allah(swt) gives us only those problems which we can bear in order to understand the righteous path(cause of creation and therefore

how to practice it). if Allah really wanted to try us in hardships than he(swt) has many other ways like kill us brutally and then again raise us with no memory of past and the extreme hardships which human minds cannot perceive . but he look around urself after so many probs do we really ask god for the help? instead we forget the hardships and continue to sin.

similarly there were true believers who loved to give their lives for Allah's sake and didnt felt the pain of death.

so the actual pain of any created being cannot be described by anyone it is only b/w him and AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

after pondering for long i came to a conclusion that Allah(swt) might lessens the pain of the oppressed(in case of humans) and relives(in case of animals).

now dont go for tears; for tears can be fake like i continue to sin after knowing so much about religion yet when i go for prayers i cry and ask for forgiveness. and in case of animals perhaps the pain which we humans realise about them is to understand the cost of their lives.

w.s

sorry for english! try it out.

From a naturalistic POV, plants have a lesser developed nervous system than animals. Also, I think on the evolutionary/sentience tree, the distance between plants and homo sapiens is greater than the distance between humans and animals. [i could be wrong here.]

From an empirical POV, when I eat a plant it does not appear that the plant is weeping/running away screaming. Animals do.

In any case, all of this is relevant only if plants DO have a self. As I indicated, the mark of a soul/self is the ability to experience pleasure, pain, cognition, etc. Do you agree with this?

just because we cannot understand them we cannot claim that they dont feel.

i love ur religion so much that i spent a good time for that. there are things that are either lost or left by the scholars. so about sacrifice it is allowed for both plants as well as animals. perhaps there wd be more logical point for nor killing animals which we dont know.

but animals and plants both are of same nature in case of living beings; just the differences of evolution(as u said it).

perhaps plants are more innocent than animals if they have a lesser developed nervous system, then it wd be more complicated(killing of plant life).

w/s

Everything on this Earth is to serve us humans in one way or another. Animals are just food sources or companions such as hunting dogs, riding horses, or donkeys that haul heavy stuff. We aren't supposed to mistreat them, even Imam Hussein as gave the horses water when he was in thirst.

But we shouldn't humanize them as the western world does where they take a cat or dog and act like its a human baby or something...

Goku, do you support the theory evolution? It related to this question and your answer.

There may be a difference in the POV here. In Hinduism, it is the self that reincarnates, not the body. In Islam, it is the body that reincarnates/gets resurrected, right?

I don't believe in reincarnation. Cow doesn't have human soul. Chicken is animal and have always been animal. And they are delicious.

They don't run away screaming and weeping because they don't have the same composition like animals.

What kind of twisted moral values do you subscribe to. Shame on you for eating plants. They produce oxygen for us, and all you care is eating them up.

And yes I agree with cuppycake and wundermonk.

Animals are conscious beings that feel pain, and yes they are closer related to us than plants. So close that...neanderthals for example, werent homo sapeins sapiens. They werent human like us. And yet, they were so similar, they may as well have been. But, I would say, them not being human like us would mean they are animals.

But eating them would almost be like canibalism, and it would be similar to eating another human.

Goku stated that animals were on this earth to serve us. But that could only be true if you believe in the literal story of Adam and Eve. In a history where other animals have hunted us (and in some cases still do), it doesnt seem logically reasonable to believe that an alligator exists to serve us, when in reality they would kill us. And if you go back in time, back when we were animals, who did we serve?

Edited by iDevonian

Thanx for everyone's input.

So no one can answer this? Lol

Sounds like an Imam Ali a.s situation

Goku, do you support the theory evolution? It related to this question and your answer.

I don't really have a problem with the theory of evolution, although if it were true, I believe that someone started that chain of events...

I think it contradicts our belief in how the human being came about though (how Adam was created etc...) So this may be the only issue with it, unless Adam had slightly different features to us e.g. height etc...