Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Marmulak

Rate this topic

(salam)

It came to my attention that allot of people have never seen this cinematic masterpiece.

Marmulak (iranian for lizard) - is probably the best/funniest movie ever made. If you havn't seen it you must watch it.

It's about a thief who steals the clothes of a scholar to escape prison - with really really funny results.

Here is the film in its original farsi - in good quality/ with english subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLt98jS5vEE

this better be good man!

this movie had been banned in Iran. but most of people had watched it through DVD. and it was very true.

why was it banned O_O?

• Veteran Member

What do you guys think the little cute kid, that follows Mr Marmoulak, signifies? do you think that the kid signified Marmoulak's own conscience?

Also, do you guys think that the scholar, whose garb Marmoulak stole, deliberately gave Marmoulak a chance to get away using his religious garb as a cover?

Edited by abbas110
  • Advanced Member

KIND OF A SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT SEEN SO DONT READ MY COMMENT

What do you guys think the little cute kid, that follows Mr Marmoulak, signifies? do you think that the kid signified Marmoulak's own conscience?

Also, do you guys think that the scholar, whose garb Marmoulak stole, deliberately gave Marmoulak a chance to get away using his religious garb as a cover?

I think yes to both of your questions. As for the first one it seemed like every time he looked at him he realised he was doing something wrong, and the innocence of the child was showing that he felt some guilt

As for your second question I think you are right again because he was going for a shower or a bath but just sat down and started making dua, and he also hesitated before he went into the bathroom, as if he knew he was doing something wrong.

Edited by Shia_Debater
  • Advanced Member

Interesting thought. I've never thought of the little kid as his own conscience. I imagine Marmoulak was embarrassed to be seen as a thief and a greedy man by the kid. He was not a religious man but the kid was a silent reminder that whatever he is doing is being watched by higher power, silently.

I think the scholar did give too many hints for it to be purely coincidence.

You can find many funny parts in this movie.

When he was in the prison and being served rice. He lost all appetite. But his jail mate ate his food and declare that if only his wife knew how to cook such delicious food, she would still be alive today.

And when the train stopped so the people can pray, some people excitedly asked him to become the Imam of the Salah and he had to figure out how to lead the congregation in prayers when he had never prayed in his life.

His answers to the religious questions were hilarious especially the one about North Pole.

So, what happened in the end? Did they take him back to the prison because it appeared that the sadistic warden had a change of heart.

Edited by Gypsy
  • Advanced Member

NOTE - SPOILER BE AWARE

So, what happened in the end? Did they take him back to the prison because it appeared that the sadistic warden had a change of heart.

I think he let him go free - at the beginning he said that this prison is to reform you and think of it as a diet but a spiritual one where we will help you get better. At the end when he handed himself in, it seems to have shown him becoming better so the warden probably thought that he has become a better person.

• Veteran Member

i think i understood why this movie was seen as anti scholars

and i do think that many here will agree that religion by force either as state law , family law social law or even when you push yourself against its limits to be too religious , it dosnt yield good people but in contrary , it will yield self disrespect self hatred and isolation out of the herd of muslims

which is a paradoxical effect of religion on human , religion when someone is willing to take at ease gives you statesfaction even if teh changes it mad ein your life are tiny

but when religion is into your life by force , it forces you out and away like the case of the kid who was forced to memorize quraan despite the fact that he is religious kid

• Unregistered

Mufeed thank you so much for this!

It was awesome and it's probably the best movie I've seen so far!

You know Any other movies like this?

Oh and I love their sense of humor... Hilarious! Im sick so I sounded like a horse laughing at it lol thanks again.

Jazak'Allah Khair :)

It was a funny movie, but it really oozed of profundity. I loved the main character, amazing acting. But what resonated with me the most was the implicit messages within the film. Everyone has goodness within them, it's just expressed in different ways.

Mufeed, you hit the nail with your analysis.

• Advanced Member

Wasn't banned! Was shown in cinemas

It was only shown in Tehran and perhaps some other cities. But in the rest of the country it was banned eg. mashhad only showed it on the first day of the new year and then it went off the curtains :(

If you guys enjoyed Marmulak here is another great movie from the same director/actor called "leiliee ba man ast"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgPCq83PTY&fb_source=message

It also has english subtitles, Its very funny and if you enjoyed marmulak you will probably enjoy this film as well.

It's about a man during the Iran-Saddam war who decides to go out to the front lines for personal reasons.

Its a comedy/Drama.

• Advanced Member

It was only shown in Tehran and perhaps some other cities. But in the rest of the country it was banned eg. mashhad only showed it on the first day of the new year and then it went off the curtains :(

That’s too bad. The censorship is crazy over there. I liked the movie a lot. It is a comedy and a work of fiction. And I think most people would enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

(salam)

Very nice movie. I also liked the very strong message passed of how much a true/good scholar can help reform society , like how the original real scholar who realises the root of marmoulak's problem and gives him what most people need - another chance to be good. Also funny how marmoulak just could NOT be bad (physically impeded) in the shaykhi clothes, even if he wanted to :lol:

For those who like mushier stories, Tala va mes (Gold and Copper) is very nice too.. a simple human story. :cry: It doesn't have subtitles, but I found it easy to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK39BUpyyfY

(wasalam)