Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Tafsiru 't-Tashayyu`

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Okay folks, pleasentries aside, I have your first request

(bismillah)

YUSUFALI: (Moses) said: "What then is thy case, O Samiri?"

PICKTHAL: (Moses) said: And what hast thou to say, O Samiri?

SHAKIR: He said: What was then your object, O Samiri?

YUSUFALI: He replied: "I saw what they saw not: so I took a handful (of dust) from the footprint of the Messenger, and threw it (into the calf): thus did my soul suggest to me."

PICKTHAL: He said: I perceived what they perceive not, so I seized a handful from the footsteps of the messenger, and then threw it in. Thus my soul commended to me.

SHAKIR: He said: I saw (Jibreel) what they did not see, so I took a handful (of the dust) from the footsteps of the messenger, then I threw it in the casting; thus did my soul commend to me

YUSUFALI: (Moses) said: "Get thee gone! but thy (punishment) in this life will be that thou wilt say, 'touch me not'; and moreover (for a future penalty) thou hast a promise that will not fail: Now look at thy god, of whom thou hast become a devoted worshipper: We will certainly (melt) it in a blazing fire and scatter it broadcast in the sea!"

PICKTHAL: (Moses) said: Then go! and lo! in this life it is for thee to say: Touch me not! and lo! there is for thee a tryst thou canst not break. Now look upon thy god of which thou hast remained a votary. Verily we will burn it and will scatter its dust over the sea.

SHAKIR: He said: Begone then, surely for you it will be in this life to say, Touch (me) not; and surely there is a threat for you, which shall not be made to fail to you, and look at your god to whose worship you kept (so long); we will certainly burn it, then we will certainly scatter it a (wide) scattering in the sea.

So who is this messenger? Jibraeel (as) or Moosa (as) ?

Also that part is sura Taha where it says Moosa (as) got scared:

(bismillah)

YUSUFALI: He said, "Nay, throw ye first!" Then behold their ropes and their rods-so it seemed to him on account of their magic - began to be in lively motion!

PICKTHAL: He said: Nay, do ye throw! Then lo! their cords and their staves, by their magic, appeared to him as though they ran.

SHAKIR: He said: Nay! cast down. then lo! their cords and their rods-- it was imaged to him on account of their magic as if they were running.

YUSUFALI: So Moses conceived in his mind a (sort of) fear.

PICKTHAL: And Moses conceived a fear in his mind.

SHAKIR: So Musa conceived in his mind a fear.

YUSUFALI: We said: "Fear not! for thou hast indeed the upper hand:

PICKTHAL: We said: Fear not! Lo! thou art the higher.

SHAKIR: We said: Fear not, surely you shall be the uppermost,

Did Moosa (as) really get scared?

• Advanced Member

Ma'joor for the work.

I have a small note though..

I've given it the name of Tafsir at-Tashayyu`

It should be Tafsir-ul Tashayyu. (Of course the "hatha" tafseerul...is ma7thoof.. but since "hatha" is ism ishara mabni fi ma7ali raf3 mubtada' then "tafseer" is : khabar marfoo3 wa 3alamat raf3ihi althammah althahirah 3alla akhirihi, wa huwa mudhaaf).

• Advanced Member

Ma'joor for the work.

I have a small note though..

It should be Tafsir-ul Tashayyu. (Of course the "hatha" tafseerul...is ma7thoof.. but since "hatha" is ism ishara mabni fi ma7ali raf3 mubtada' then "tafseer" is : khabar marfoo3 wa 3alamat raf3ihi althammah althahirah 3alla akhirihi, wa huwa mudhaaf).

u sound like such a nerd here... just sayin...

I just wanted to ask:

Are u also looking at tafseer as Safi, Burhan and Noor thaqalayn?

I have seen a few entries from majma which is great to see.

Yes, I've looked at the three (they are compilation tafsirs of riwayat from other books themselves), and made especial use of al-Burhan for this as a reference point. Very useful for finding the relevant hadiths located in different books like al-Kafi, `Uyun al-Akhbar, etc. I don't cite them though when I have used them since I prefer listing the original source from which they obtained the hadith (e.g. if Burhan is quoting a hadith from Kafi, I'll say it's from Kafi rather than Burhan), plus if the source text and the text in Burhan differ for example, I will generally use the source text's wording instead (only one case when I mentioned it was different in Burhan because I suspect the modern editor of al-Qummi put a little taqiyya wording in the source).

Oh, and just in case before it happens and I have to be rude, I'd request that we keep the thread like it's been so far, that is, suggestions and requests, not further discussion of the tafsir of ayat etc. That can be done elsewhere, for this thread it'd be more useful we keep the discussion narrow so I can see what's being asked for. In sha Allah, once a requested tafsir has been put up on the site, I'll provide a link to it here in this thread in response (if a person wants to go further into more extended discussion about it after that, it'd be better to create a new thread for that separate from this one, just to keep this one focused).

Working on your request la fata (I was pretty such that if anyone would have one, it'd be you..)

• Veteran Member

Bro macisaac,

Thank you for your hard work. I pray Allah (swt) will give you strength, health, and knowledge to continue this.

I'd like to ask for the tafsir of surah `Abasa since it's one of the surah which interpretation differs between Shi`i & Sunni

• Advanced Member

Salamalaikum macisaac and others.

The work you are doing is excellent and may Allah azwj reward you for that. I have a few suggestions.

1. Tafsir attributed to zayd ibn ali r.a and tafsir mujtahid attributed to ibn abbas. I think you have your reason of putting them through but I am finding it hard to read it in a flow as I don't pay attention to the ones that are not from aimma a.s . If u want to keep it you may consider bolding them as non imami or maybe put them at one place together on the same page and then our books seperately . Again I am asking out of ignorance; isn't majma mixture of Sunni shia stuff? If so it can become hard to distinguish in the later stages.

2. Its easy for members who read your updates everyday to observe the changes you make but for the one who previously did not have a complete picture of the tafsir he might struggle finding the changes you made. I know its hard but can there be a different color pattern for the text you add/edit?

My uncle is doing a similar work and it is basically transexigiliteration. I.e., a translation directly with tafsir and the actual ayat transliterated above so as to know which word means what according to masomeen a.s with a reference at the bottom of the page.

This was my suggestion to him however he initially started like you with tafsir of bismillah hir rahman nir raheem and the compilation of ahadees from our books just for that reached more than 70 Ms word pages. I said this is good for people who wants to go in to such depths and the whole quran in such a way would be volumnious so he agreed and wants to do it as a seperate research work after his transexigiliteration is done as he does not like current translations in English and at the same time wants people to know its tafsir from imams a.s without a rigorous exercise.

Again, may Allah azwj give you strength and widen your acceptability criteria.

Okay folks, pleasentries aside, I have your first request

(bismillah)

YUSUFALI: (Moses) said: "What then is thy case, O Samiri?"

PICKTHAL: (Moses) said: And what hast thou to say, O Samiri?

SHAKIR: He said: What was then your object, O Samiri?

YUSUFALI: He replied: "I saw what they saw not: so I took a handful (of dust) from the footprint of the Messenger, and threw it (into the calf): thus did my soul suggest to me."

PICKTHAL: He said: I perceived what they perceive not, so I seized a handful from the footsteps of the messenger, and then threw it in. Thus my soul commended to me.

SHAKIR: He said: I saw (Jibreel) what they did not see, so I took a handful (of the dust) from the footsteps of the messenger, then I threw it in the casting; thus did my soul commend to me

YUSUFALI: (Moses) said: "Get thee gone! but thy (punishment) in this life will be that thou wilt say, 'touch me not'; and moreover (for a future penalty) thou hast a promise that will not fail: Now look at thy god, of whom thou hast become a devoted worshipper: We will certainly (melt) it in a blazing fire and scatter it broadcast in the sea!"

PICKTHAL: (Moses) said: Then go! and lo! in this life it is for thee to say: Touch me not! and lo! there is for thee a tryst thou canst not break. Now look upon thy god of which thou hast remained a votary. Verily we will burn it and will scatter its dust over the sea.

SHAKIR: He said: Begone then, surely for you it will be in this life to say, Touch (me) not; and surely there is a threat for you, which shall not be made to fail to you, and look at your god to whose worship you kept (so long); we will certainly burn it, then we will certainly scatter it a (wide) scattering in the sea.

So who is this messenger? Jibraeel (as) or Moosa (as) ?

To give it fuller context, I ended up doing the tafsir for ayat 85-98.

http://www.*******.org/tafsir/tashayyu/ta-ha/85-98

• Advanced Member

Salam.

Br. Mecisaac

Can you get the Tafaaseer of the following verse's. Mainly concentrating on the words أَحْسَنَ الْخَالِقِينَ & خَيْرُ الرَّازِقِينَ.

Since these verse indicate that there are other Raziq and Khaliq as well and Allah (swt) is the best of all.

Appreciate your help.

أَتَدْعُونَ بَعْلًا وَتَذَرُونَ أَحْسَنَ الْخَالِقِينَ

"Will ye call upon Baal and forsake the Best of Creators. [37:125]

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ

So blessed be Allah, the best of Creators! [23:14]

وَإِنَّ اللَّهَ لَهُوَ خَيْرُ الرَّازِقِينَ

Truly Allah is He Who bestows the best provision. [22:58]

وَهُوَ خَيْرُ الرَّازِقِينَ

He is the Best of those who give sustenance. [23:72 & 34:39]

وَارْزُقْنَا وَأَنْتَ خَيْرُ الرَّازِقِينَ

And provide for our sustenance, for thou art the best Sustainer. [5:114]

Edited by muhibb-ali
  • Forum Administrators

I have an interest in the interpretation of the following:

(bismillah)

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا كُونوا أَنصَارَ اللَّهِ كَمَا قَالَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ لِلْحَوَارِيِّينَ مَنْ أَنصَارِي إِلَى اللَّهِ قَالَ الْحَوَارِيُّونَ نَحْنُ أَنصَارُ اللَّهِ فَآَمَنَت طَّائِفَةٌ مِّن بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ وَكَفَرَت طَّائِفَةٌ فَأَيَّدْنَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا عَلَى عَدُوِّهِمْ فَأَصْبَحُوا ظَاهِرِينَ

O ye who believe! Be Allah's helpers, even as Jesus son of Mary said unto the disciples: Who are my helpers for Allah? They said: We are Allah's helpers. And a party of the Children of Israel believed, while a party disbelieved. Then We strengthened those who believed against their foe, and they became the uppermost. (61:14)

• Veteran Member

A have a few which would be very useful in debates with a certain group of people, since these verses are so frequently used and abused. I've arranged them by topic, so you can just do a couple at a time (as and when it convenient obviously).

Knowledge of the Book

And (make him) a messenger to the children of Israel: That I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I determine for you out of dust like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird with Allah's permission and I heal the blind and the leprous, and bring the dead to life with Allah's permission and I inform you of what you should eat and what you should store in your houses; most surely there is a sign in this for you, if you are believers. [3:49]

And those who disbelieve say: You are not a messenger. Say: Allah is sufficient as a witness between me and you and whoever has knowledge of the Book. [13:43]

One who had the knowledge of the Book said: I will bring it to you in the twinkling of an eye. Then when he saw it settled beside him, he said: This is of the grace of my Lord that He may try me whether I am grateful or ungrateful; and whoever is grateful, he is grateful only for his own soul, and whoever is ungrateful, then surely my Lord is Self-sufficient, Honored. [27:40]

Witness over believers

And thus We have made you a medium (just) nation that you may be the bearers of witness to the people and (that) the Messenger may be a bearer of witness to you; and We did not make that which you would have to be the qiblah but that We might distinguish him who follows the Messenger from him who turns back upon his heels, and this was surely hard except for those whom Allah has guided aright; and Allah was not going to make your faith to be fruitless; most surely Allah is Affectionate, Merciful to the people. [2:143]

And say: Work; so Allah will see your work and (so will) His Messenger and the believers; and you shall be brought back to the Knower of the unseen and the seen, then He will inform you of what you did. [9:105]

Prophets praying for others

And We did not send any messenger but that he should be obeyed by Allah's permission; and had they, when they were unjust to themselves, come to you and asked forgiveness of Allah and the Messenger had (also) asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah Oft-returning (to mercy), Merciful. [4:64]

They said: O our father! ask forgiveness of our faults for us, surely we were sinners. [12:97]

And when it is said to them: Come, the Messenger of Allah will ask forgiveness for you, they turn back their heads and you may see them turning away while they are big with pride. [63:5]

Wasilah

O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah and seek means of nearness to Him and strive hard in His way that you may be successful. [5:35]

Those whom they call upon, themselves seek the means of access to their Lord-- whoever of them is nearest-- and they hope for His mercy and fear His chastisement; surely the chastisement of your Lord is a thing to be cautious of. [17:57]

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

[Translations by Ali Quli Qara'i]

Surah 24 Verse 45

Allah created every animal from water. Among them are some that creep upon their bellies, and among them are some that walk on two feet, and among them are some that walk on four. Allah creates whatever He wishes. Indeed Allah has power over all things.

Surah 21 Verse 30

Have the faithless not regarded that the heavens and the earth were interwoven and We unravelled them, and We made every living thing out of water? Will they not then have faith?

Surah 55 Verses 14-15

(14) He created man out of dry clay, like the potter’s, (15) and created the jinn out of a flame of a fire.

(wasalam)

Edited by Shia_Debater
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

[Translation by Ali Quli Qara'i]

Surah 24 Verse 33

Those who cannot afford marriage should be continent until Allah enriches them out of His grace. As for those who seek an emancipation deal from among your slaves, make such a deal with them if you know any good in them, and give them out of the wealth of Allah which He has given you. Do not compel your female slaves to prostitution when they desire to be chaste, seeking the transitory wares of the life of this world. Should anyone compel them, then after their compulsion Allah is indeed all-forgiving, all-merciful.

(wasalam)

Edited by Shia_Debater
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

May Allah s.w.t reward you abundantly for this noble endeavor.

Could you please provide a tafsir for the verse 35:32, jazakallah khayr.

"Then We have given the Book for inheritance to such of Our Servants as We have chosen: but there are among them some who wrong their own souls; some who follow a middle course; and some who are, by Allah's leave, foremost in good deeds; that is the highest Grace."

• Veteran Member

Salam,

Thank you very much bro! May Allah (swt) rewards you greatly for your efforts.

Interesting...who frowned (i.e. whether it's the Prophet or someone else) differed between the tafsir. Tafsir Zayd bin `Ali and Majma` al-Bayan indicated that it was the Prophet who frowned.

Salam,

Thank you very much bro! May Allah (swt) rewards you greatly for your efforts.

Interesting...who frowned (i.e. whether it's the Prophet or someone else) differed between the tafsir. Tafsir Zayd bin `Ali and Majma` al-Bayan indicated that it was the Prophet who frowned.

It does seem so on the former, but in regards to Majma`, Tabrisi includes both views (as he often does), but by his inclusion of what Sharif Murtada wrote against it as well as the narrations he quotes, one would presume he believed or at least leaned to the more common Shi`i view on the matter.

• Veteran Member

It does seem so on the former, but in regards to Majma`, Tabrisi includes both views (as he often does), but by his inclusion of what Sharif Murtada wrote against it as well as the narrations he quotes, one would presume he believed or at least leaned to the more common Shi`i view on the matter.

- I'm curious, why do you use the Zaydi tafsir in your tafsir?

- I'm not familiar with Arabic, so I'd like to know this: Qira`ah Khallad `an Hamzah reads "fatanfa`uhu" instead of "fatanfa`ahu" in Abasa:4. Is there any difference in meaning due to this difference in reading?

i thought we werent supposed to discuss the content here, just post the request...

Yeah... a little discussion is ok though I suppose. I just didn't want the thread getting completely diverted, or folks start long copy pastes from some other tafsirs in the hopes of answering requests.

I am just doing this to drown out Farid's bump of his shaytan thread.

Always a good thing.

I have an interest in the interpretation of the following:

(bismillah)

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا كُونوا أَنصَارَ اللَّهِ كَمَا قَالَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ لِلْحَوَارِيِّينَ مَنْ أَنصَارِي إِلَى اللَّهِ قَالَ الْحَوَارِيُّونَ نَحْنُ أَنصَارُ اللَّهِ فَآَمَنَت طَّائِفَةٌ مِّن بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ وَكَفَرَت طَّائِفَةٌ فَأَيَّدْنَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا عَلَى عَدُوِّهِمْ فَأَصْبَحُوا ظَاهِرِينَ

O ye who believe! Be Allah's helpers, even as Jesus son of Mary said unto the disciples: Who are my helpers for Allah? They said: We are Allah's helpers. And a party of the Children of Israel believed, while a party disbelieved. Then We strengthened those who believed against their foe, and they became the uppermost. (61:14)

http://www.*******.org/tafsir/tashayyu/as-saff/14

I've changed things up a bit now. The titles for the sources I've changed somewhat, and begun using Shaykh Tusi's Tibyan as another source (in sha Allah I'd like to go back to the previously done ayat/suras and add in the content from his work as well eventually)

• Forum Administrators

Any clarifications about Surah 18 al-Kahf would be good since that is a very mysterious surah with mysterious figures in it that are controverisal

This may be helpful for you.

سعد بن عبد الله ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن علي بن النعمان ، عن هارون بن خارجة ، عن أبي بصير ، عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام قال : إن ذا القرنين لم يكن نبيا ، ولكنه كان عبدا صالحا أحب الله فأحبه الله ، وناصح لله فناصحه الله ، أمر قومه بتقوى الله ، فضربوه على قرنه ، فغاب عنهم زمانا ، ثم رجع إليهم ، فضربوه على قرنه الآخر ، وفيكم من هو على سنته

Sa`ad b. `Abd Allāh[6] narrated from Aḥmad b. Muḥammad b. `Īsa[7] from `Alī b. al-Nu`mān[8] from Hārūn b. Khārijah[9] from Abī Baṣīr[10] from Abī Ja`far (عليه السلام) said, “Dhu’l Qarnayn was not a prophet, but he was a righteous slave, he loved Allāh, and Allāh loved him. He was an adviser of Allāh, and Allāh advised him. He commanded his people to taqwa of Allāh, and they hit him on the (side) of his head, and he disappeared from them for a time, then he returned to them and they hit him on his other (side) of his head, and there is among you who is upon his sunnah (tradition)”[11]

http://www.revivingalislam.com/2012/05/dhul-qarnayn.html

• Veteran Member

Forbidden to you are your mothers and your daughters and your sisters and your paternal aunts and your maternal aunts and brothers' daughters and sisters' daughters and your mothers that have suckled you and your foster-sisters and mothers of your wives and your step-daughters who are in your guardianship, (born) of your wives to whom you have gone in, but if you have not gone in to them, there is no blame on you (in marrying them), and the wives of your sons who are of your own loins and that you should have two sisters together, except what has already passed; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. And all married women except those whom your right hands possess (this is) Allah's ordinance to you, and lawful for you are (all women) besides those, provided that you seek (them) with your property, taking (them) in marriage not committing fornication. Then as to those whom you profit by, give them their dowries as appointed; and there is no blame on you about what you mutually agree after what is appointed; surely Allah is Knowing, Wise. [4:23-24, Shakir]

And who guard their private parts, Except before their mates or those whom their right hands possess, for they surely are not blameable, [23:5-6, Shakir]

O Prophet! surely We have made lawful to you your wives whom you have given their dowries, and those whom your right hand possesses out of those whom Allah has given to you as prisoners of war, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and the daughters of your paternal aunts, and the daughters of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal aunts who fled with you; and a believing woman if she gave herself to the Prophet, if the Prophet desired to marry her-- specially for you, not for the (rest of) believers; We know what We have ordained for them concerning their wives and those whom their right hands possess in order that no blame may attach to you; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. [33:50, Shakir]

And those who guard their private parts, Except in the case of their wives or those whom their right hands possess-- for these surely are not to be blamed, [70:29-30, Shakir]

• Advanced Member

Always wondered who these second group of ppl were on Dhul Qarnayn's travel... He doesnt do much there,...thats whats intriguing.

(bismillah)

YUSUFALI: Then followed he (another) way,

PICKTHAL: Then he followed a road

SHAKIR: Then he followed (another) course.

YUSUFALI: Until, when he came to the rising of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had provided no covering protection against the sun.

PICKTHAL: Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom.

SHAKIR: Until when he reached the land of the rising of the sun, he found it rising on a people to whom We had given no shelter from It;

YUSUFALI: (He left them) as they were: We completely understood what was before him.

PICKTHAL: So (it was). And We knew all concerning him.

SHAKIR: Even so! and We had a full knowledge of what he had.

YUSUFALI: Then followed he (another) way,

PICKTHAL: Then he followed a road

SHAKIR: Then he followed (another) course.

And (make him) a messenger to the children of Israel: That I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I determine for you out of dust like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird with Allah's permission and I heal the blind and the leprous, and bring the dead to life with Allah's permission and I inform you of what you should eat and what you should store in your houses; most surely there is a sign in this for you, if you are believers. [3:49]

http://www.*******.org/tafsir/tashayyu/aal-imran/49