Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Zuhairh

Astral Projection In Islam

Rate this topic

Asalaamo Alikum to all,

I came across an interesting idea or rather action and I was wondering if anyone out there would have knowledge of this. Astral projections, are out-of-body experiences where the soul gets separated from the physical body and it can float, move about. This might sound funny or unrealistic but It is something which I knew about for a while. I would see instances in movies, etc but after much research it is indeed true. I was first told of it by one of my teachers in an Islamic Institute. For example soldiers are trained so that if they are ever in a bad position, such as being tortured, they can do this.

There are myths where "evil entities" will come across your path, and they would have the ability to enter your body. But regardless, its still something serious. Is there anything close to this being mentioned by the Prophet (SAW), or the Ahlul Bayt?

Thank You,

Wasalaam

Asalaamo Alikum to all,

I came across an interesting idea or rather action and I was wondering if anyone out there would have knowledge of this. Astral projections, are out-of-body experiences where the soul gets separated from the physical body and it can float, move about. This might sound funny or unrealistic but It is something which I knew about for a while. I would see instances in movies, etc but after much research it is indeed true. I was first told of it by one of my teachers in an Islamic Institute. For example soldiers are trained so that if they are ever in a bad position, such as being tortured, they can do this.

There are myths where "evil entities" will come across your path, and they would have the ability to enter your body. But regardless, its still something serious. Is there anything close to this being mentioned by the Prophet (SAW), or the Ahlul Bayt?

Thank You,

Wasalaam

I doubt any soldier can do this... if this is possible at all....

Well, I really wouldn't know it either but it is something that is entirely possible. Thousands if not millions of people do it, and as a curious individual, you always want to know more about it.

This is my information about the subject that you posted, and if I am mistaking then please correct me;

In Islam we would most probably call this tajarrod. Even if this is not entirely the same as what you mentioned about astral projection it is still extremely close in meaning. Astral projection is usually practiced during one's sleep (judging from the books I read on the topic), but tajarrod as we know it in Islam is also possible to be established while being wide awake.

The descriptions about the experiences that people had during astral projection matches the descriptions of the world of barzakh, where they mention that it is a world free from matter, but that there is still form left, etc.

In general everyone is able to experience some stages of this and enter barzakh. However, non-Muslims are not able to pass beyond the stage and world of barzakh, while Muslim 'urafa are able to reach other worlds like malakoot and even 'see' Allah.

The main difference between astral projection and reaching tajarrod is the method that is used to reach such a stage, since Muslim 'urafa walk the path of the purification of the soul/seir wa sulook, doing 'ibadaat like salatul lail, etc. While in astral projection you strengthen your nafs and focus on certain images that you create in your mind while trying to go to sleep in your bed.

You can read more about this topic in the works of the 'urafa. It is a very beautiful subject indeed.

Edited by anwarul malakoot

while Muslim 'urafa are able to reach other worlds like malakoot and even 'see' Allah..

Anybody who claims to have seen Allah (swt) is a liar and must have been tricked by iblees. This is false Sunni concept where Allah can be seen, has a jism (body), will put his leg in hell fire so hell would be satiated, and so on.

Read about Allah (swt) as explained in Nahjulbalagha.

Back to OP, don't know if urafa's souls really leave their bodies to see the other side. They do it without it leaving the body.

Assalamallikum,

One of the most well-known 'out-of-body-experiences' in the West is Alfred Lord Tennyison's during his experience in a war in what is now Greece. He described it as his entity floating around before its return to his body.

I also heard other people describe their experiences. A couple are where the individual could ot possibly seen what he could describe in detail. One of these involved me. He could not have seen me at all. The others where in accidents or war.

Still, personally, I do not have any use for any mystical junk.

Edited by hasanhh

Anybody who claims to have seen Allah (swt) is a liar and must have been tricked by iblees. This is false Sunni concept where Allah can be seen, has a jism (body), will put his leg in hell fire so hell would be satiated, and so on.

Read about Allah (swt) as explained in Nahjulbalagha.

Back to OP, don't know if urafa's souls really leave their bodies to see the other side. They do it without it leaving the body.

It seems you misunderstood my reply. Of course it is not possible to see Allah with physical eyes. If you refer to some of the books of Sayyed Kamal Haidari, Ayatollah Hassanzade Amuli as well as many others, then you will see that in shi'a Islam the 'seeing' of Allah as through knowledge by presence is an established concept in the shi'a school of thought.

Even in Nahjul Balagha Imam Ali (a.s.) tells us that we can 'see' Allah, but not with physical eyes. Amir ul Mu'mineen a.s. was not lying when he said this and neither was he tricked by Iblees. So what you said about reading about Allah in Naghjul Balagha does not change anything in relation to the point that the 'urafa made about 'seeing' Him s.w.t.. Rather, it confirms what they said and the other way around as well.

Edited by anwarul malakoot

I see, is there any book, article or source I can read this material from? Very interesting, never heard of it in this manner.

Please contact me at illumination313@gmail.com and I will try to give you some more info and sources to refer to, insha Allah.

(salam)

Astral projection is real - you are essentially astral projecting (/OBE) every night when you sleep (except you aren't fully conscious of it). It's only a matter of making yourself conscious of the event (which is possible).

Qur'an:

Çááóøåõ íóÊóæóÝóøì ÇáúÃóäÝõÓó Íöíäó ãóæúÊöåóÇ æóÇáóøÊöí áóãú ÊóãõÊú Ýöí ãóäóÇãöåóÇ ۖ ÝóíõãúÓößõ ÇáóøÊöí ÞóÖóìٰ ÚóáóíúåóÇ ÇáúãóæúÊó æóíõÑúÓöáõ ÇáúÃõÎúÑóìٰ Åöáóìٰ ÃóÌóáò ãõøÓóãðøì ۚ Åöäóø Ýöí Ðó‌ٰáößó áóÂíóÇÊò áöøÞóæúãò íóÊóÝóßóøÑõæäó

Allah takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that die not during their sleep; then He withholds those on whom He has passed the decree of death and sends the others back till an appointed term; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect. (39:42)

Hadith:

Imam al-Baqir (as) said, "When people sleep, their spirits go out into the sky. Whatever the spirit sees while in the sky is true, and whatever it sees in the air (between earth and the heavens) are just muddled dreams."

Also, have a look at this thread.

it is very simple. basically it's entering dream land consciously, so all you have to do to experience it is keep your mind awake while your body is falling asleep. once your body is asleep your spirit is free to follow your minds orders of "up", "down", "left, right", etc.

the problem with this is that usually we get taken to a place far away from our bodies as we fall asleep, but when we hang around in the first spiritual / astral level closest to dunya, then that's like going to eat junk food vs healthy food. that's usually where the jinns hang out, and can be very scary. actually, you start to see your known environment differently. also want to add that some get freaked out when they see their own bodies lying in bed or the rooms.

the important part is being able to wake yourself up, starting from wiggling your toe, working upwards till the whole body is awake again. (if it was a bad one then don't forget to say awuthu bilLah min alshaytan el rajeem (several times), and perhaps reading quran .. in order to avoid slipping right back upon falling asleep again)

i stopped doing self directed astral journeys because it's very uncomfortable (for me), and also there is this very strong sound that enters the head once its done. but it's worth trying it once i think & don't worry about others entering your body. there are good and bad jinn just like humans, and in the astral world they appear somewhat close to humans (so if you're not afraid of humans here you won't be afraid of other entities there)

peace

When I was young I used to fall asleep then observe myself from bird's eye view whilst my vision twists. I would wake up by simply moving my pinky. Was this the beginning of Astral Projection? Or is this something completely different. I remember waking up and thinking that it was my soul leaving my body. This happened about twice about 9-10 years ago when I was 8 or 9. Does anyone have an explanation? Because it was just a dream.

I think there is a Valid explanation to "Astral Projection" in the hadees.This was a topic I was looking up a couple of years ago and found that according to Islamic Sources, it is not possible for one's soul to be in two places at the same time... so the concept of "out of body experiences" can be ruled out as per Islam. I haven't been able to locate the source of my information and as soon as I find the link, will post it for you to see for yourself.

Coming to Me'raj and other accounts, it has been written that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was able to travel "very quickly" in a matter of seconds he could be in Jerusalem or at another place. This ability is also possessed by our Imam E Zamana (ATFS). This ability to be in places in different times in quick succession could be well misinterpreted as Astral Projection or OOBE. But factually these are not similar in nature or could it have been ? If he was sitting in Madina and was seen in Jerusalem at the same time ??

Yes it is possible as described by brothers Anwarul Malakoot and peace seeker. Ascension also occurs in The Salaat of the Urafa and it can make it sublime. If you look at them performing their Salaat, their body seems like a corpse. Look at any video of Imam Khomeini or Khamenei performing their salaat and you will underatand.

When one experiences this level of ascension in Salaat it can be extremely wonderful.

Outside of Islam, yogi's also practice it. Our body is just a vessel carrying our soul. Allah (swt) has blessed humans with many capabilities that we have not fully utilized.

Was salaam

When I was young I used to fall asleep then observe myself from bird's eye view whilst my vision twists. I would wake up by simply moving my pinky. Was this the beginning of Astral Projection? Or is this something completely different. I remember waking up and thinking that it was my soul leaving my body. This happened about twice about 9-10 years ago when I was 8 or 9. Does anyone have an explanation? Because it was just a dream.

well, you have left your physical body and then you were aware in the same time, tht is why you could see yourself.

when we sleep we leave our physical body but in that time we are not aware and we have no control over things happen to us. OBE is similar to a deep sleep but you have your own memory and your own will... so u remember and control things.

how ever astral realm has so many sub levels. when you go higher in that realm, time and places will be more different than when you are in first levels of astral realm.

I think there is a Valid explanation to "Astral Projection" in the hadees.This was a topic I was looking up a couple of years ago and found that according to Islamic Sources, it is not possible for one's soul to be in two places at the same time... so the concept of "out of body experiences" can be ruled out as per Islam. I haven't been able to locate the source of my information and as soon as I find the link, will post it for you to see for yourself.

Coming to Me'raj and other accounts, it has been written that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was able to travel "very quickly" in a matter of seconds he could be in Jerusalem or at another place. This ability is also possessed by our Imam E Zamana (ATFS). This ability to be in places in different times in quick succession could be well misinterpreted as Astral Projection or OOBE. But factually these are not similar in nature or could it have been ? If he was sitting in Madina and was seen in Jerusalem at the same time ??

Sheykhieh school and sheykh Ahmad Ahsaee has so many writings about this matter. specially about imam zaman (as) and astral realms.

On 6/1/2012 at 0:44 AM, anwarul malakoot said:

Please contact me at illumination313@gmail.com and I will try to give you some more info and sources to refer to, insha Allah.

Can you please tell me ' how to induce an OBE ..' like is there some kinda verse ( aayah ) that should be repeated to get me into the astral world .[ btw] I tried your mail id and it doesn't seem to be working.

this world is frequently mentioned in the works of the sufi poets like Rumi and Gibran.

Thanks in advance.

On 9/1/2013 at 5:12 PM, Golden-crowned said:

well, you have left your physical body and then you were aware in the same time, tht is why you could see yourself.

when we sleep we leave our physical body but in that time we are not aware and we have no control over things happen to us. OBE is similar to a deep sleep but you have your own memory and your own will... so u remember and control things.

how ever astral realm has so many sub levels. when you go higher in that realm, time and places will be more different than when you are in first levels of astral realm.

Sheykhieh school and sheykh Ahmad Ahsaee has so many writings about this matter. specially about imam zaman (as) and astral realms.

Could you please tell me how you do it yourself. Are you in the state of abolution when you have your Oobe ..? 

I have tried Dr. Monroe , Robert Bruce and various YouTubers suggestions. Nothing seems working. 

On 1/27/2017 at 0:12 PM, Adhil Abdul Azeez said:

Could you please tell me how you do it yourself. Are you in the state of abolution when you have your Oobe ..? 

I have tried Dr. Monroe , Robert Bruce and various YouTubers suggestions. Nothing seems working. 

the main key is controlling mind.

I think you should practice to control your mind in the first place. 

while doing it you should not think of anything. so empty mind is the key of doing OBE.