Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haydar Husayn

The Importance Of Salah

Rate this topic

Sayyid Sistani:

Namaz is the best among all acts of worship. If it is accepted by the Almighty Allah, other acts of worship are also accepted. And, if prayers are not accepted, other acts are also not accepted.

Offering of prayers five times during day and night purifies us of sins in the same manner as bathing five times during day and night makes our body clean of all filth and dirt.

It is befitting that one should offer prayers punctually. A person who considers prayers to be something ordinary and unimportant is just like one who does not offer prayers at all. The holy Prophet has said that a person who does not attach any importance to prayers and considers it to be something insignificant deserves chastisement in the hereafter.

http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=251364&id=48&pid=2197

(bismillah)

1 - Muhammad b. Yaqub al-Kulayni - the author of this book (may Allah have mercy on him) said: (narrated to me) Muhammad b. Yahya from Ahmad b. Muhammad b. `Isa from Hasan b. Mahbub from Mu`awiya b. Wahb who said: I asked Aba `Abdillah عليه السلام about the best of actions with which the slaves can attain closeness to their Lord, and the (action) which is the most beloved to Allah عزوجل - what is that? So he said: I do not know of a thing after the cognizance (ma’rifah) better than these prayers (five daily), do you not see that the pious slave - `Isa b. Maryam (عليه السلام) said: “And He has ordained upon me the prayer and the purification as long as I live” (19:32). (Sahih)

What could that mean? I have a guess.

Ma`rifa is taken to mean "higher knowledge" or enlightenment or some sort and today a lot people would like to read into it pull out some sort of Sufi-Irfani idea. I think, more likely, it is after have realization of the Imamah/Wilayah. My justification for this are 2:

- It the phrasing many time for someone who is an Imami is "`aarif by hadha al-amr" and there's the same root involved

- `Ibadat are not accepted without wilayah

في امان الله

Guest EndlessEndeavor

(bismillah)

[/b]

What could that mean? I have a guess.

Ma`rifa is taken to mean "higher knowledge" or enlightenment or some sort and today a lot people would like to read into it pull out some sort of Sufi-Irfani idea. I think, more likely, it is after have realization of the Imamah/Wilayah. My justification for this are 2:

- It the phrasing many time for someone who is an Imami is "`aarif by hadha al-amr" and there's the same root involved

- `Ibadat are not accepted without wilayah

في امان الله

No this is not what is meant. Ma'rifah here does not mean wilayat here at all. Though it is pertinent to mention that part of true ma'rifah in Allah (swt) will lead you to wilayat. Ma'rifah denotes ones true understanding of monotheism. To know Allah (swt) is the greatest objective of this deen. There are so many narrations on this matter by our Imams.

أَوَّلُ الدِّينِ مَعْرِفَتُهُ، وَكَمَالُ مَعْرِفَتِهِ التَّصْديقُ بِهِ، وَكَمَالُ التَّصْدِيقِ بِهِ تَوْحِيدُهُ، وَكَمَالُ تَوْحِيدِهِ الاِْخْلاصُ لَهُ، وَكَمَالُ الاْخْلاصِ لَهُ نَفْيُ الصِّفَاتِ عَنْهُ، لِشَهَادَةِ كُلِّ صِفَة أَنَّها غَيْرُ المَوْصُوفِ، وَشَهَادَةِ كُلِّ مَوْصُوف أَنَّهُ غَيْرُ الصِّفَةِ

Look at the sermons of Nahjul Balagha and various narrations of Imam Al Sadiq (as) in particular. The whispered prayers of Imam Al Sajjad also reflect this reality. I don't know why you think that would be put into a "sufi-irfani idea" and what does that even mean really?

I am a Muallaf new to islam and would like to learn proper namaz.

any good resources out there for me?

J

Sorry that this is late, but just in case here are some resources:

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2197/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17105107/Salat-Step-by-Step-The-Shia-Way

The argument that God has ordained prayer because we need it is a form of twisted logic[1].. If we need something it should not have to be forced upon us[2]. in the first place.

اتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ ۖ إِنَّ الصَّلَاةَ تَنْهَىٰ عَنِ الْفَحْشَاءِ وَالْمُنكَرِ ۗ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ ۗ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا تَصْنَعُونَ

[1] Recite, [O Muhammad], what has been revealed to you of the Book and establish prayer. Indeed, prayer prohibits immorality and wrongdoing, and the remembrance of Allah is greater. And Allah knows that which you do.[29:45].

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ خُلِقَ هَلُوعًا  [*]  إِذَا مَسَّهُ الشَّرُّ جَزُوعًا  [*] وَإِذَا مَسَّهُ الْخَيْرُ مَنُوعًا [*] إِلَّا الْمُصَلِّينَ [*]  الَّذِينَ هُمْ عَلَىٰ صَلَاتِهِمْ دَائِمُونَ

[1.1] Surely man was created most fretful [*] When evil touches him, impatient,[*] Except those devoted to Salat (prayers),[*] Those who remain constant in their Salat (prayers). [70:19-23].

وَأَنَا اخْتَرْتُكَ فَاسْتَمِعْ لِمَا يُوحَىٰ , إِنَّنِي أَنَا اللَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي

[1.2] And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed [to you], Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.[20:13-14].

لَا إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ ۖ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ ۚ فَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىٰ لَا انفِصَامَ لَهَا ۗ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ

[2]. There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.[2:256].

إِنَّا هَدَيْنَاهُ السَّبِيلَ إِمَّا شَاكِرًا وَإِمَّا كَفُورًا

[2.1] We showed him the Way: whether he be grateful or ungrateful (rests on his will).[76:3].

Wa `alsalam.