Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali J

Why Is Slavery Permissible In Islam?

Rate this topic

i agree with haydar husayn.

The prophet SAW and ahlulbayt (as) had slaves, surely if it was haraam or wrong then they wouldnt have had them. That being said, the modern day slavery is not the same as the one back in the early years of islam, therefore it shouldnt be allowed. Thats just my opinion anyways, feel free to disagree.

Oh but there are people on here calling for it to be allowed.....they are even calling for would be aborted babies to be slaves. Yes the slave trade still exists and more should be done to eradicate it because trying to regulate it wouldn't work. Most people in this world are not muslim, could care less about what Islam says about how a slave should be treated, and there isn't anyway you could make them abide by this. On top of that most supposed muslims don't even know how to have a house maid without slapping her around, imagine what they would do with a slave. Ohhhhh and the baby slavery would be a pedos paradise.....that would open pandoras box wouldn't it.

can u give me a sumary of what it says? if its trying to say that slavery is allowed i cant except it.

The link he gave you is good.....you will find what you are looking for in chapter 3.

Edited by ImAli

In short its saying that Islam came to eradicate slavery however if done by force it would have had negative effects, and it goes through how the slavery that Islam introduced was much different than the slavery at the time and that there were many benefits for the slave.

Let me show you an example of the type of slavery in Islam

[Edited out on request of the person who wrote it because he thinks the information he gave may have been incorrect since he wasn't knowledgeable on the topic]

This is just a bit - there is much more. As you can see what is named slavery in Islam isn't the type of slavery we hear about or usually think about.

yeah but its still slavery, one man owning another. i cant except it. to me its wrong.

Edited by Haji 2003

^ then maybe there is something wrong with the way you think and perceive. You can't dictate what is and what isn't part of Islam based on what you feel, what if tomorrow it is established that the Prophet (saw) and Imams (as) owned slaves, it was made known as evident as sunlight, or heck for examples sake, what if Imam Mahdi (ajf) kept a slave..would you deny them or the religion based on your feelings?

Read the book, and asnwer knowledge and rational with knowledge and rational, accordingly.

But i feel you, its hard to digest, i have many questions that need aswering in regards to this issue, however i would restrain myself from having the mindset.. 'i can not except slavery no matter who said or did it'. Such an attitude can lead your faith to dangerous places. Have the attitude to learn and eventually accept the correct view, weather you can fully comprehend it or not.

So do you believe your Holy Prophet (pbuh&hf) and Allah's Proofs on Earth (as) are wrong? Do you know better than the Messenger of God?

The God and the Prophet didn't order all of us to keep slaves. Slaves/Owning slaves was from the pre-Islamic custom that made its way into Islam. We are not breaking any Islamic rules/laws by not keeping slaves. And I don't think there is any interest in the Muslim world to start the slavery business.

The modern day slavery business/ dirty flesh trade/human trafficking for prostitution/sex that is going on in the world has nothing to do with Islam.

The God and the Prophet didn't order all of us to keep slaves. Slaves/Owning slaves was from the pre-Islamic custom that made its way into Islam. We are not breaking any Islamic rules/laws by not keeping slaves. And I don't think there is any interest in the Muslim world to start the slavery business.

The modern day slavery business/ dirty flesh trade/human trafficking for prostitution/sex that is going on in the world has nothing to do with Islam.

Sister, I agree with you. I wouldn't want to own a slave nor would I want to be one. But you nor I witnessed how the slaves of the Prophet and Imams were treated, compared to what know is the treatment and condition of slaves nowadays. So I will ask again, do you think the Prophet and Imams were wrong for owning slaves?

Sister, I agree with you. I wouldn't want to own a slave nor would I want to be one. But you nor I witnessed how the slaves of the Prophet and Imams were treated, compared to what know is the treatment and condition of slaves nowadays. So I will ask again, do you think the Prophet and Imams were wrong for owning slaves?

I actually answered this question before that you cannot use limited examples of the pious people among the family of Muhammad (pbuh) to promote slavery. The Ahl al-Bayt were exceptionally and they are exception to the rule.

If there was nothing wrong with owning slaves, the Prophet would not recommend people to free slaves as much as they can and as often as they can.

^ then maybe there is something wrong with the way you think and perceive. You can't dictate what is and what isn't part of Islam based on what you feel, what if tomorrow it is established that the Prophet (saw) and Imams (as) owned slaves, it was made known as evident as sunlight, or heck for examples sake, what if Imam Mahdi (ajf) kept a slave..would you deny them or the religion based on your feelings?

Read the book, and asnwer knowledge and rational with knowledge and rational, accordingly.

But i feel you, its hard to digest, i have many questions that need aswering in regards to this issue, however i would restrain myself from having the mindset.. 'i can not except slavery no matter who said or did it'. Such an attitude can lead your faith to dangerous places. Have the attitude to learn and eventually accept the correct view, weather you can fully comprehend it or not.

im not dictating anything, im not saying this is how islam should be, all im saying is i am 100% against slavery and so if islam allows it than i have to think about if it is rihgt for me. there is no way i can be convinced that slavery is ok even if islam oks it so yes it would come down to denying the religion for me if that is the case. i have to think about this.

I always get the impression that people use one word to describe very different situations in these discussions. On the one hand we have 'slave' defined as enforced human bondage, where people are owned like property and have their autonomy taken away from them through various forms of repression/coercion/enforcement, and then you have the examples of the Ahlulbayt(as) owning slaves, which seems to be a very different proposition all together and doesnt seem to fit the definition of slavery. When people talk about the Ahlulbayt(as) owning slaves, even though they may have originally been purchased, it sound more like a person being welcomed into a family, accepting a role for this being part of the family and chosing to stay there, rather than an enforcement/captivity. Am i wrong?

I actually answered this question before that you cannot use limited examples of the pious people among the family of Muhammad (pbuh) to promote slavery. The Ahl al-Bayt were exceptionally and they are exception to the rule.

If there was nothing wrong with owning slaves, the Prophet would not recommend people to free slaves as much as they can and as often as they can.

How are they an exception to the rule? their actions are Hujjat upon us. If Islam was so vehemently against slavery, why did the Prophets (saw) and Imams (as) own Slaves? They could have contributed to the idea of demolishing slavery by not owning them, this may have been a faster and more powerful way to rid slavery.

If there was something wrong with owning them, the Prophet/Ahlulbayt (as) wouldn't have owned them.

Your argument doesn't stand, there is no point in trying to make something look logical from an angle which it is not.

Well, from one aspect of it Ali Saleh, i guess its admirable in a way that you are not willing to live a lie.

im not dictating anything, im not saying this is how islam should be, all im saying is i am 100% against slavery and so if islam allows it than i have to think about if it is rihgt for me. there is no way i can be convinced that slavery is ok even if islam oks it so yes it would come down to denying the religion for me if that is the case. i have to think about this.

ALISALEH

Though I had resolved to stay out of this debate, but I have come just to say that I know what you are trying to say. I can relate to the feeling of shock and disappointment you are feeling. I can 100% relate to it.

Things are doubly difficult for me ; I belong to a background, where people have strong humanitarian/ altruistic attitude about other people without having a staunch Islamic front. And I have been forewarned of the ultimate disillusionment.

For me it has sort of become a walk on the edge of things, my innate desire to believe in the absolute supremacy of God's divine law --and-- eternal sacredness of religious personalities and my own deep down inherent principles to stand for human dignity and honour.-----for weak and strong alike, but particularly for weak.

But if week and poor are not even allowed to have the basic shred of dignity as human beings, then I do not know what to say or what to believe. .

Edited by ShahBano_BZ

Calm down AliSaleh. You don't need to think about leaving Islam just because someone on SC is pro-slavery. You can have your own views just like they can have theirs.

I don't think we are going to see slavery making a come back anytime soon. Most countries in the world have laws that forbid that sort of thing including all the Muslim countries in the world.

Calm down AliSaleh. You don't need to think about leaving Islam just because someone on SC is pro-slavery. You can have your own views just like they can have theirs.

I don't think we are going to see slavery making a come back anytime soon. Most countries in the world have laws that forbid that sort of thing including all the Muslim countries in the world.

I used to lurk this forum for a few years on and off before joining.....and I remember one member on here leaving Islam because of the pro slavery crew. I can't remember the details but they actually convinced her she was anti Islam because she didn't believe in owning slaves. I think you know who I am talking about (the one who became an apostate over this)

Edited by ImAli