Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali J

Why Is Slavery Permissible In Islam?

Rate this topic

Unsurprisingly, there was no answer to my question. The fact is that the families were not 'protected', rather they were mostly taken as slaves. For example, in the case of the Banu Qurayza, alluded to in the Qur'an:

And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty. And He drove down those of the followers of the Book who backed them from their fortresses and He cast awe into their hearts; some you killed and you took captive another part. And He made you heirs to their land and their dwellings and their property, and (to) a land which you have not yet trodden, and Allah has power over all things. [33:25-27, Shakir]

Of course, it was the men who were killed, and the women and children who were taken captive. Supposedly they were judged according to the book of Deuteronomy:

Deuteronomy 20 (NIV)

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

And here the Qur'an explictly mentions slave girls taken as spoils of war:

O Prophet! surely We have made lawful to you your wives whom you have given their dowries, and those whom your right hand possesses out of those whom Allah has given to you as prisoners of war, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and the daughters of your paternal aunts, and the daughters of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal aunts who fled with you; and a believing woman if she gave herself to the Prophet, if the Prophet desired to marry her-- specially for you, not for the (rest of) believers; We know what We have ordained for them concerning their wives and those whom their right hands possess in order that no blame may attach to you; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. [33:50]

Brother I may of heard wrong but apparently that event is under speculation? I heard a lecture by Seyed Ammar where he basically says the event never took place, or what happened I should say. That the Tribe of Jews were not killed.

Here is the lecture: http://www.sayedammar.com/ARBAEEN%202009/arbaeenpopplayee.html

I know our Sunni Brother's believe this event took place and the Tribe was killed but does our School differ on this matter?

It was a long time ago that I listened to the lecture so I may be mistaken. I apologise I'd that's the case.

btw, sorry for completely derailing the discussion guys...

Salaam alaykum

Brother I may of heard wrong but apparently that event is under speculation? I heard a lecture by Seyed Ammar where he basically says the event never took place, or what happened I should say. That the Tribe of Jews were not killed.

Here is the lecture: http://www.sayedamma...npopplayee.html

I know our Sunni Brother's believe this event took place and the Tribe was killed but does our School differ on this matter?

It was a long time ago that I listened to the lecture so I may be mistaken. I apologise I'd that's the case.

btw, sorry for completely derailing the discussion guys...

Salaam alaykum

No offense, but anything you hear from Sayed Ammar Nakshawani on any remotely controversial issue needs to be checked carefully. He has a tendency to be too politically correct, and to tell his audience what they want to hear. Basically his lecture was roughly based on the article http://www.haqq.com.au/~salam/misc/qurayza.html, but this article is heavy on speculation, and is a relatively modern theory. Unless the Imams (as) have denied this event somewhere (and I certainly don't remember Sayed Nakshawani mentioning that), then I see no reason to doubt it happened, since there is no issue with it. What the Banu Qurayza did could have led to the extermination of the Muslims, and they had what was coming to them. If you read the whole of the account, I don't think there is anything there that should make us look for these weird theories. Until very recently, the penalty for treason was death in almost every society.

I think the wikipedia article on this subject is pretty good by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Qurayza

Some less fortunate people have no other choice. You have to change your narrow view.

As long as there are people in this world who think like you and condone it these less fortunate people will continue to be enslaved.

As long as there are people in this world who think like you and condone it these less fortunate people will continue to be enslaved.

as long as there are people like you who bury their head in sand and live in a dream world people will suffer uncontrolled abuse

as long as there are people like you who bury their head in sand and live in a dream world people will suffer uncontrolled abuse

It's not a dream world even the less fortunate should have a choice between those two options you gave.....yet you and others continue to condone such actions. Perhaps you should go sell yourself to someone......however the catch is you don't get to choose the man you sell yourself to.

Oh.....and you don't get to keep the money...a scumbag slave trader keeps it

It's not a dream world even the less fortunate should have a choice between those two options you gave.....yet you and others continue to condone such actions. Perhaps you should go sell yourself to someone......however the catch is you don't get to choose the man you sell yourself to.

there is a difference between should have and have

you sound as if we are living in heaven and everyone is fortunate and if not then you are going to solve all the problems

there is a difference between should have and have

you sound as if we are living in heaven and everyone is fortunate and if not then you are going to solve all the problems

NOooooo ya hmar! The only reason "should have" needed to be used it because people like you don't allow it to be "have". No one ever claimed life is heaven or life is easy. You need to let go of your fantasy of being with a kind and generous slave master because the world just isn't like that. These unfortunates who end up enslaved due to a bad situation end up even more oppressed and abused before they were enslaved.

Perhaps you should go sell yourself to someone......however the catch is you don't get to choose the man you sell yourself to.

Edited by ImAli