Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Iran To Sue Google For Not Labelling Persian Gulf

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Iran 'to sue Google' for not labelling Gulf on world map

_60048168_60047676.jpg

The nameless body of water next to the Gulf of Oman is at the centre of a dispute between Iran and Arab countries

Google is facing legal action over its decision to not label the body of water separating Iran and neighbouring Arab Gulf states on its online map service.

The Iranians call the waterway the Persian Gulf, while Arab countries often refer to it as the Arabian Gulf.

Iran has warned Google it will face "serious damages" if it does not denote the as the Persian Gulf.

The Gulf is bordered by Iran and its Arab neighbours - Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar and Kuwait.

Despite increasing pressure from Arab sources to call it the Arabian Gulf, or at least to use both names, Iran insists historical evidence shows the water has always been Persian.

"If Google does not correct its mistake as soon as possible, we will file an official complaint against Google," said Iranian Foreign Minister Ramin Mehmanparast.

'Missing landmark'

The controversy began earlier this month when Iran's Irna state news agency reported that Google had deleted the Persian Gulf label from its map service.

In a rare show of unity, authorities and the opposition jointly condemned the decision. Thousands of Iranians vented their anger on blogs and in online forums.

Google rejected the criticism, saying the body of water had not been labelled from the start.

A Google spokesperson told the BBC it did not name every place in the world although he was unable to provide an example of a similar case of a missing landmark.

Interactive world map Google Earth, meanwhile, describes the waterway both as Persian Gulf and Arabian Gulf.

Iran has repeatedly criticised countries and organisations that do not use the term Persian Gulf.

In 2010, it warned that airlines using the term Arabian Gulf on in-flight monitors would be barred from Iranian airspace.

The same year, the second Islamic Solidarity Games were cancelled after Arab and Iranian organisers failed to agree on whether to describe the Gulf as Persian or Arabian on medals.

When the National Geographic Society decided to feature both terms in its 2004 world atlas edition, Iranians launched a huge internet offensive.

As a result, anyone searching for the Arabian Gulf on Google found a website saying it did not exist.

_60047674_60047670.jpg

Searching for Arabian Gulf elicited a spoof message during an Iranian internet offensive in 2004

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-18108246

• Advanced Member

Persia doesn't even exist anymore. It should be Arabian gulf.

Persia doesn't exist ANYMORE?

even if it is - that it is not true and u just cut the [Edited Out]s!- even if!- we should change its name to ARABIAN GULF because some uneducated people like you think Persia doesn't exist any more????

kiddo, nobody expected you to make comment about something that is bigger than your brain's ability !

Edited by Golden-crowned

"in a rare show of unity, authorities and the opposition jointly condemned the decision"

unfortunately the only thing that unites the opposition and the so called religious people is the racism lol

Why dont they name it islamic gulf ? google wants to intimidate the islamic republic and iran is not handelling these issue in a proper and islamic manner...

they could have said " name it the islamic gulf " and then they wll be rolled and thier attempts will fail

trying to name lands by a race or family or a tribe like "Saudi" is not a nice thing

the funny thing is when you see how much passion there is from the iranians over this stupid name you would think they would have similar passion for important things relating to thier religion !!!

its like how much passion the egyptions showed towards hating the algerians over that footbal game incident.

people are unbelievably childish

the reality is the gulf is currently the zionist gulf because thats who owns it

also why should they name it arabic gulf if it has allways been named persian gulf ?? did something suddenly change now ? it smelss like they want to create trouble using the anger of the racists on both sides

the islamic republic is more deserving of the label because it has labeled itself islamic and did not label itself "Saudi" which is a name of an evil family and hence the ownership will be for all muslims but when the arabs take it the advantage will be for the USA as they are thier pupets

they can name it " the gulf of the islamic republic " or the islamic " gulf" or the gulf of imam mahdi cause it doesnt belon to persians or arabs or any other racist or zionist or supremacist but its for all humans

salaam

Guest Mushu

even if it is - that it is not true and u just cut the [Edited Out]s!- even if!- we should change its name to ARABIAN GULF because some uneducated people like you think Persia doesn't exist any more????

kiddo, nobody expected you to make comment about something that is bigger than your brain's ability !

Well it doesn't. There is no Persian empire anymore. If you wanna call it the Iranian gulf, that's a different story.

Noone calls Iraq 'Mesopotamia', or 'Babylon'.

• Advanced Member

Well it doesn't. There is no Persian empire anymore. If you wanna call it the Iranian gulf, that's a different story.

The Tigris and Euphrates Rivers still haven't changed. So why should they change the Persian Gulf to another name?

Guest Mushu

The Tigris and Euphrates Rivers still haven't changed. So why should they change the Persian Gulf to another name?

I don't really care tbh. It can be whatever it likes to be. I'm just pointing out that Persia doesn't exist anymore.

tumblr_ln31k5U2aJ1qafrh6.gif

• Advanced Member

no body talked abt Persian empire here!

do yourself a favor and study about the historical names more.

If you wanna call it the Iranian gulf, that's a different story.

oh so you let us call it Iranian gulf, right? for your record Mr! Persian and Iranian has the SAME meaning. Iran is just another name of the land of Aryan people or Persian land means people from pars, or Fars in Arabic, who speaks with Persian language.

it is up them I don't care what they do or don't.but I never make comment about what they should do or shouldn't.

Edited by Golden-crowned

you know the funny thing i noticed

iranians get so angry when they want to steal the persian gulf name from them but they freely gift some other sea to others while the whoel world insists that its iranian !!!!

the whole world calls it " caspian sea" and caspian is Qazwin which is inside iran but the generous iranins call it some thing else " the Khazar sea" and the khazar are forefathers of those ashkanazi jews in the russian section lol

So this proves they are generous and can give up a few gulfs here and there lol

the worse thing is when i heard ahmadi nejad actually talking about the movie 300 being bad and trying to demoralize the iranians lol!!!!! maybe there is some truth in this but to even sink to the level of immaturity you will let them obtain thier purpose of provoking you

secondly why are people proud of their race even when it does evil? for example those persians at the time of 300 were world super powers and currupted empires like the USA at the moment

sons killed fathers and vice versa for the throne

so why on earth do they get offended if one offends those empires?

Edited by alimohamad40

• Veteran Member

oh so you let us call it Iranian gulf, right? for your record Mr! Persian and Iranian has the SAME meaning. Iran is just another name of the land of Aryan people or Persian land means people from pars, or Fars in Arabic, who speaks with Persian language.

The difference being Iranian (despite referring to 'land of the Aryans') is a nationality, not all Iranians are neccessarily Persian in ethnicity (they could be Kurds, Arabs, Balochis, Armenian, Turkic, etc)... but Persian has a racial connotation attached to it - the people who settled in Fars (the Parsua) were the original "Persians"... so I don't see how in this day and age it can be justified.

Of course one can argue so too does the Arabian Gulf, but I'm just saying is all.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

• Advanced Member

The word Persian used by some groups of people in Iran is treated as a nationality, while for other groups they treat it more in terms of ethnicity.

Outside of the country, foreigners would probably view the term "Iranian" more as the nationality.

It really depends who you ask. If you ask me, I call myself an Iranian as I identify the term "Iranian" as my nationality, I can't say the same is true for everyone.

It's not surprising to see some Kurds, Azeris, and a some other groups address themselves as "Persians" only because some of them use the term as a nationality when they're inside Iran.

• Advanced Member

iranians get so angry when they want to steal the persian gulf name from them but they freely gift some other sea to others while the whoel world insists that its iranian !!!!

the whole world calls it " caspian sea" and caspian is Qazwin which is inside iran but the generous iranins call it some thing else " the Khazar sea" and the khazar are forefathers of those ashkanazi jews in the russian section lol

the worse thing is when i heard ahmadi nejad actually talking about the movie 300 being bad and trying to demoralize the iranians lol!!!!! maybe there is some truth in this but to even sink to the level of immaturity you will let them obtain thier purpose of provoking you

secondly why are people proud of their race even when it does evil? for example those persians at the time of 300 were world super powers and currupted empires like the USA at the moment

look. don't try to analyze Persians , it is easy to talk about others with watery proofs.

Suddenly these sunni Arabs have remembered that they want their own name for Persian Gulf, it is just like a silly excuse like what they did to make war between Iran and Iraq.

as a Persian, I don't have any problem if all names change to new names according to Islamic values , but if Sunni countries around Persian Gulf and after them Western countries try to make excuses to start a new game against Persians, then I will be first one who remind them Golden period of their history before Hazrat e Muhammad (pbuh) when they used to live like animals.

it is not about proud! it is about why they do this now!

• Veteran Member

I always enjoy your posts. they span a wider diameter.

• Veteran Member

Sue Google over not naming a body of water as Iranians would have liked? Well, emo kids.

Perhaps Pakistan should sue all Arabs and everyone in the whole world for labelling Pakistani waters off Karachi and Mekran Coast as Arabian Sea.

• Veteran Member

Thats playing it Western because such measures in Western countries could be deemed as suspicious at the very least. And thus according to international (Western) law Google could legally be taken to court to clarify their act.

I had this jewish kid in one of my classes who always used to pull his hair out and whine about how most people did not understand how the government/system works. Israelis know how the governments or governmental activities work in the West and thus are using them as a mere dog in a short leash.

• Veteran Member

Ok, I've thought long and hard about this and have decided:

The Arabo-Perisan Gulf.

or for the history buffs who argue (justifiably) that it was called Persian first:

The Persio-Arab Gulf.

Sorted.

Next mission: peaceful settlement to the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

Sue Google over not naming a body of water as Iranians would have liked? Well, emo kids.

Perhaps Pakistan should sue all Arabs and everyone in the whole world for labelling Pakistani waters off Karachi and Mekran Coast as Arabian Sea.

india also should sue pakistan for the made up name name PAK ISTAN which implies that indians are dirty and only the pakistan section is pak and clean lol

also that such name never existed

also they have a province in pakistan called " kafir stan" the land of kafirs lol

Bro, the Persian Gulf name does not have anything to do with the Persian empire or the Persia. It is like to say, lets change the 'Persian Language' name to Arabian Language because Persia doesn't exist anymore!

And why to change it to Arabic, why not to Indian or Sri Lankan for example? Does Arabic empire exists in Iran today or ever did? Then lets rename the Fars province in Iran to Arab province as well. It doesn’t make any sense to why Arab should be replaced with Persian on anything or Arab should be replaced with Indian or Chinese!

The reason they want to change it from Persian Gulf to Arabic is RACISM, not the other way around. The 'Persian' name has been there for centuries.

The ignorance of Arabs will never end, the best prophet of God was sent amongst Arabs but still they are not humanized fully to this day. The clan business and tribes, and the hatred and racism still exist in Arab society to this day.

persian gulf can stay labeled persian gulf but Iranians need to learn arabic even if some of them loose thier persian langauge cause its not important today

(but we need some small group to know the persian to give us the information about archeology and important old persian books and lankmarks)

but we dont need 80 million speaking it and not able to speak the language intended for them which is arabic

if they can do both its a bonus but if they cant they need to choose arabic

today we are at the age of imperialism we have english which is the langauge of the knwoeldge and arabic which is the language of islam and muslims

This is not a race issue but an islamic issue , when god chose arabic for us we need to do what he said so we can have a common language and kill all the racist barriers

also look at how english took over all the languages in africa and so many places whcih is the process of globalisation

islam is also intended to be a globalisation project then you can iamgine how nice it is if all speak one language and can udnerstand each other and unite the countries into one

• Veteran Member

persian gulf can stay labeled persian gulf but Iranians need to learn arabic even if some of them loose thier persian langauge cause its not important today

(but we need some small group to know the persian to give us the information about archeology and important old persian books and lankmarks)

but we dont need 80 million speaking it and not able to speak the language intended for them which is arabic

if they can do both its a bonus but if they cant they need to choose arabic

Do you even realize how bigoted you come across?

While there is no denying the immense importance of knowing the Arabic language from an Islamic perspective, I do not think it should be to such an extent that one loses their own language and identity.

In what way was/is Arabic "intended" for the Persian people? Why must they, if given a choice, abandon Farsi and adopt Arabic instead?

Who says the Persian language is not relevent today? Do you know there are other countries and ethnic groups who speak Persian or a language influenced by it? There wouldn't be the Urdu language if not for Persian.

The process of globalization is continuous, and will inevitably lead to languages becoming extinct - however Islam wasn't intended to be an Arab religion, and it is great to see the cultural diversity within the Islamic world. There is no need for Persians to forsake their language to neccessarily become more "Islamic", just as it isn't a prerequisite for Turks, Berbers, Indians/Pakistanis to do so.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed