Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member

Ye aaqri shair Ghalib ki mashoor shair, haaazor khwaishe aisi se hai :(taqallus)

Kahaan maikhane ka darwaaza Ghalib aur kahaan vaaiz

Par itna jaantay hain kal voh jaata tha ke ham nikle

^^In do lines se muraad (mere khayaal mei) ye hai ke Ghalib sahab keh rahe hai ke masjid aur shuraab khane ke darmiyaan zameen aasmaan ka faasla hai. Laikin phir bhi jab Ghalib saab sharaab khane se bahar aa rahe the, unhe mawlvi undar jaate huve najar aaya. Kya is se ye mutlab hai ke aadmi bahar se kitna bhi shareef nazar aane do, laikin har ek shaqs mei koi na koi burai hoti hai aur koi bhi masoom nahi hota?

Mera ye tarjuma sahih hai?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It alludes to the feeling of sheer loneliness, when you are feeling almost like a non-entity, stranded between planes of being and non-being. your loneliness becomes more than an illusion and become r

OK ãÌÑÇ Æی . It is derived from ãÌÑÇ (mujra). It means an offering made out of respect and love. Mujraee is the one who makes that offering. Mujra has a vulgar meaning which is more well known, that i

^ ^ Beta aap pehle khud toh seekh lo :lol: @Dicta jii: Rozana ek ghanta mujhsey guftugoo karein.. aapka dimaaghi tavazun hillega zuroor par urdu bhi seekh leingey :P

• Veteran Member

Where is Ustaad Marbles ?

I am here ustaani ji :D

Ye aaqri shair Ghalib ki mashoor shair, haaazor khwaishe aisi se hai :(taqallus)

Kahaan maikhane ka darwaaza Ghalib aur kahaan vaaiz

Par itna jaantay hain kal voh jaata tha ke ham nikle

^^In do lines se muraad (mere khayaal mei) ye hai ke Ghalib sahab keh rahe hai ke masjid aur shuraab khane ke darmiyaan zameen aasmaan ka faasla hai. Laikin phir bhi jab Ghalib saab sharaab khane se bahar aa rahe the, unhe mawlvi undar jaate huve najar aaya. Kya is se ye mutlab hai ke aadmi bahar se kitna bhi shareef nazar aane do, laikin har ek shaqs mei koi na koi burai hoti hai aur koi bhi masoom nahi hota?

Mera ye tarjuma sahih hai?

Almost. It's a quip at the preacher types (vaaiz = vaaz dene wala, naseehat karne wala, which usually means a mullah). Ghalib exposes the hypocrisy of preachers who chastise others for indulging in the pleasures of drinking yet they themselves do not heed their own piece of advice. In larger context, this couplet highlights the inherent weakness of humans who succumb to temptations, even the most unlikely ones. Your explanation can also be taken in that the couplet demolish the supposition that apperances can be relied on, that is, they are deceptive quite often.

As Faiz said:

Kuch muhtasibon ki khilwat main kuch vaaiz ke ghar jaati hai

Ham bada kashon ke hisay ko ab jaam main kam kam aati hai

Try translating this one ^, dirac.

• Advanced Member

I have a question on pronunciation. No idea if this is a dumb question, but I'm a gora pakora so I wouldn't know. Ye to maloom hai kay kaaf aur qaaf main farq hai, alif aur ayn main bhi farq hai.. Laikin hay, choti hay aur do chashmi main farq aata hai? tay aur toa, zay & zwaad, seen & swaad.

As far as I know do chashmi hay is only after some letters for words like phool or jhanda but I have no clue.

• Advanced Member

I am here ustaani ji :D

Almost. It's a quip at the preacher types (vaaiz = vaaz dene wala, naseehat karne wala, which usually means a mullah). Ghalib exposes the hypocrisy of preachers who chastise others for indulging in the pleasures of drinking yet they themselves do not heed their own piece of advice. In larger context, this couplet highlights the inherent weakness of humans who succumb to temptations, even the most unlikely ones. Your explanation can also be taken in that the couplet demolish the supposition that apperances can be relied on, that is, they are deceptive quite often.

As Faiz said:

Try translating this one ^, dirac.

Thanks. Looks pretty tagda lol! I am not sure of the meanings of the words in bold. If you could start me off with their meanings, I will try and expand on the deeper meaning. Thanks!

Khilwat = Does that mean the loneliness?

Thanks.

• Veteran Member

ek savaal puchsakti hu? thread ka title hain "urdu kaise sudhartey hain?"

sudharney ke kya mainey hain? is it like "seekhna"?

Sudharna means to improve, to reform, to make better.

I have a question on pronunciation. No idea if this is a dumb question, but I'm a gora pakora so I wouldn't know. Ye to maloom hai kay kaaf aur qaaf main farq hai, alif aur ayn main bhi farq hai.. Laikin hay, choti hay aur do chashmi main farq aata hai? tay aur toa, zay & zwaad, seen & swaad.

As far as I know do chashmi hay is only after some letters for words like phool or jhanda but I have no clue.

Good question Akbar.

Technically, choti hay (À) and do chashmi hay (ª) can be used alternatively without having to incur a spelling mistake. Nowadays choti hay is preferred if the consonant occurs in the beginning of the word (hay, hota, haathi, hathora etc). Do Chashmi hay is used in combination with another consonant to emphasize it's sound. (with jeem for jhanda, with kaaf for khatta, with chay for chaala etc).

In old Urdu the application of both hays was rather arbitrary. You could replace do chasmi with choti hay and it was correct. You could also write hay, hota, haathi, hathora etc with do chashmi even though the consonant 'hay' appears in the beginning of the word.

However, bari hay (Í) is an altogether different phenomenon. You can NOT replace this hay with either choti or do chashmi. so halwa is always with bari hay not with either of the other two. Same with haaji, hinaa, hayaa. It's from Arabic.

Tay/Tuay, Seen/Swaad, and Zay/Zaal/Zwaad/Zuay - Let's marvel at the poverty of Urdu in so far pronunciation of these distinct consonants is concerned. They are from Arabic so far as I'm aware, and have different variations in pronunciation in the original language. But variations in pronunciation aren't taken care of in Urdu. That is, we pronounce these sets similarly.

However, Urdu experts are fanatical in their spellings which are taken from Arabic and Farsi. 'Zuroorat' (need, requirement) can only be correct with Zwaad and incorrect with either zay, zaal, or zuay even though it wouldn't change the pronunciation even slightly. 'Tota' (parrot) is a laughing occasion if written with 'tay'. But again, the pronunciation remains the same.

Same is true for Alif/Ayn and Kaaf/Qaaf. They are also from Arabic but their distinct pronunciations have been retained to some degree in Farsi and Urdu. However, as happened with the other set of smilar sounding consonants, most people, with the exception of purist experts, usually do not bother with the difference in pronunciation of Alif/Ayn and Kaaf/Qaaf, including myself.

Thanks. Looks pretty tagda lol! I am not sure of the meanings of the words in bold. If you could start me off with their meanings, I will try and expand on the deeper meaning. Thanks!

Khilwat = Does that mean the loneliness?

Thanks.

Muhtasib is derived from Ihtesaab which means to hold accountable. Muhtasib is the one who holds others accountable. It's also used to mean a censor or a moralist aka a mullah. Muhtasibon (plural of Muhtasib).

Bada kash means drinker.

Bada = sharaab and bada kash = sharaab peenay wala.

Khilwat means in private or to be alone in private, hidden, chhupa hua, poshida.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the answer huzoor. I was reading an old Shia book.. probably from the 1920s or 30s and I kept seeing hai spelled with a do chashmi hay so I was confused.

Then another time I was practicing writing Urdu with a noha.. 'haq o sadaaqat ki raahon ko', I kept spelling sadaaqat with seen and realized it's with swaad later lol.

• Advanced Member

Muhtasib is derived from Ihtesaab which means to hold accountable. Muhtasib is the one who holds others accountable. It's also used to mean a censor or a moralist aka a mullah. Muhtasibon (plural of Muhtasib).

Bada kash means drinker.

Bada = sharaab and bada kash = sharaab peenay wala.

Khilwat means in private or to be alone in private, hidden, chhupa hua, poshida.

OK. So i have been thinking about this for quite a while as it is quite a tagda shair. Dont think i have cracked it yet but i'll give it a shot anyways : Literally : Some priests in their loneliness have some other priests over to their house. Whilst drunkards like me have less and less fun whilst drinking? Is that right? Is he talking about the fasaad that the clergymen do when they are alone . When that is not seen as a sin then why is it that i should feel bad in drinking(by him saying that the fun of drinking is diminishing)?

salaam i have a question.

jab drama dekhti hoon, usually jab koyi maasi seh baat karraha hota hain, the maasi says in the end "ji, behtar."

does behtar mean something like "very well?"

u watch urdu/hindi drama n still confused about behtar :lol: !

bhout behtar hia!

• Advanced Member

Kaaba Kis Moun Se Jaoo Gey Hasan (Jii) ..

Sharam Tum Ko Magar Nahin Aati :dry:

aap ko bhi to 900 choohay kha k Haj karny jaty huy sharam ni aai :P

salaam i have a question.

jab drama dekhti hoon, usually jab koyi maasi seh baat karraha hota hain, the maasi says in the end "ji, behtar."

does behtar mean something like "very well?"

Boht Behatar :P. It is affirmative in a humble way :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Salam,

Agar meira mashwara maaneiN to eik Urdu - English Dictionary khareed leiN. Usske kuch pages rozana kam az kam 10 baar

padheiN. Aapko lafz ka sahi talaffuz ( Pronunciation ) yaad hoga, uska matlab ma'loom hoga. Urdu ki vocabulary bhi achchi

hogi. Iske alawa agar aapko online bachchon ki kahaniyaN mil jaaeiN to woh bhi padheiN. Padhne meiN dil bhi lageiga aur

uski zubaan bhi aasaan hoti hai.

Salam,

Agar meira mashwara maaneiN to eik Urdu - English Dictionary khareed leiN. Usske kuch pages rozana kam az kam 10 baar

padheiN. Aapko lafz ka sahi talaffuz ( Pronunciation ) yaad hoga, uska matlab ma'loom hoga. Urdu ki vocabulary bhi achchi

hogi. Iske alawa agar aapko online bachchon ki kahaniyaN mil jaaeiN to woh bhi padheiN. Padhne meiN dil bhi lageiga aur

uski zubaan bhi aasaan hoti hai.

(wasalam)

personally, jo main neh urdu-english dictionaries dekhi hain, they make no sense to me. baaz alfazon ke ajeeb definitions likhdetay hain, behtar hain ke kisi barey seh poochlu :wacko:

Edited by haidernyc
  • Basic Members

(wasalam)

personally, jo main neh urdu-english dictionaries dekhi hain, they make no sense to me. baaz alfazon ke ajeeb definitions likhdetay hain, behtar hain ke kisi barey seh poochlu :wacko:

Salamun Alaikum,

Aap shayed Google Translation ki baat kar rahe haiN, jo yaqeenan qaabile eitebaar nahiN hai. Dictionaries meiN aisa nahiN hota. Hamare buzurgoN ne bhi Lughaat aur Dictionaries se hi seekha hai. Phir jinko Urdu seekhna hai woh Sahab apne buzurgoN se bahot duur haiN jinki ungli pakadkar chal sakeiN.

• 8 years later...