Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member

I know rafidhi means rejectors, and zaidis are people that follow Zaid (son of the 4th imam) but can someone explain to me where the naming came from and the history for it? according to some sunnis, Allah titled us rafidhis (which i for obvious reasons don't believe)

• Advanced Member

I know rafidhi means rejectors, and zaidis are people that follow Zaid (son of the 4th imam) but can someone explain to me where the naming came from and the history for it? according to some sunnis, Allah titled us rafidhis (which i for obvious reasons don't believe)

"I know rafidhi means rejectors" - Thats my understanding as well. Rejectors of the caliphate system as understood by Ahlesunnah.

"According to some sunnis, Allah titled us rafidhis" - Since it has be to after the death of the Prophet (Saww) Who did Allah send this wahi on?

I believe it was first used against those who split off or did not continue with Zayd ibn Ali's revolt, hence they became known as the rejectors. It was taken that those shias who became rawafid did so because they did not share Zayd's views on Abu Bakr and Umar (they rejected the standard belief in their status) and therefore did not support him.

There is also this hadith, although I have no source nor do I know it's authenticity:

A man came to Ja'far al-Sadiq saying that someone had warned him against becoming a Rafidi and Ja'far replied "By God, this name which God has granted you is excellent, as long as you follow our teaching and do not attribute lies to us."

I just read about this today!

According to sahih Wikipedia what brother says above is true .. It was first used by imam Zaid for the deserters of his cause that lead to his martyrdom Sayidna Hussein style.

Then apparently the sunis started using it to refer to Shia and give them a bad name .. In contrast to their title as nawasib (Sayidna Ali haters) .. Then the Shia decided to change the meaning and embrace the name rafidi as a strategic move .. That's how we came to it today .. All this happened over hundreds of years supposedly ..

(salam)

• Advanced Member

I just read about this today!

According to sahih Wikipedia what brother says above is true .. It was first used by imam Zaid for the deserters of his cause that lead to his martyrdom Sayidna Hussein style.

Then apparently the sunis started using it to refer to Shia and give them a bad name .. In contrast to their title as nawasib (Sayidna Ali haters) .. Then the Shia decided to change the meaning and embrace the name rafidi as a strategic move .. That's how we came to it today .. All this happened over hundreds of years supposedly ..

(salam)

That actually explains the question I was just about to ask which was: "why do they use it as an insult yet Shias seem to embrace the name?" :)

Thank you all for helping me understand :)

May Allah bless you and help you with any difficulties you come to in life :)

• Advanced Member

It isn't a derogatory term (to us) that Shi'ah have no problem being called it even if it were meant as such.

Maybe some misinformed sunni don't realise t's rejectors of the early caliphate only? Or they just don't know what it means so follow blindly?

ALI

That actually explains the question I was just about to ask which was: "why do they use it as an insult yet Shias seem to embrace the name?" :)

Thank you all for helping me understand :)

May Allah bless you and help you with any difficulties you come to in life :)

welcome :) may Allah support and help you in every way as well ..

(salam)

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

Úäå Úä íÚÞæÈ Èä íÒíÏ Úä ÕÝæÇä Èä íÍíì Úä ÃÈí ÃÓÇãÉ ÒíÏ ÇáÔÍÇã Úä ÃÈí ÇáÌÇÑæÏ ÞÇá ÃÕã Çááå ÃÐäíå ßãÇ ÃÚãì Úíäíå Åä áã íßä ÓãÚ ÃÈÇ ÌÚÝÑ (Ú) íÞæá Åä ÝáÇäÇ ÓãÇäÇ ÈÇÓã ÞÇá æ ãÇ ÐÇß ÇáÇÓã ÞÇá ÓãÇäÇÇáÑÇÝÖÉ ÝÞÇá ÃÈæ ÌÚÝÑ (Ú) ÈíÏå Åáì ÕÏÑå æ ÃäÇ ãä ÇáÑÇÝÖÉ æ åæ ãäí ÞÇáåÇ ËáÇËÇ

From him from Ya`qub b. Yazid from Safwan b. Yahya from Abu Usama Zayd ash-Shahham from Abu ‘l-Jarud (that) he said (that) may Allah deafen his ears as he had blinded his eyes (Abu ‘l-Jarud was blind) if he did not hear Abu Ja`far Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã saying (when told that) verily so-and-so has called us a name. He said: And what is that name? He said: He has called us the Rafida. So Abu Ja`farÚáíå ÇáÓáÇã said with his hand to his chest: And I am from the Rafida and he is from me. He said it thrice. (Kitab al-Mahasin of al-Barqi)

http://www.*******.org/hadiths/hadith-of-the-day/march

There are actually a number of akhbar like this.

Ýí ÇãÇä Çááå

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

imam ali zainul abedin a.s has a son call said

am i right? Ok

So this pepl are the followers zayd

Are zaydis has a very little population?

They used to be widespread. They were the first shia in Iran. They controlled Mecca for centuries. For a while they had the Najd (Arabia). They had Yemen for over a thousand years. They were the founders of Morocco. They also had communities in Khurasan. However, the only visible population today is in Yemen roughly 45-50% of the population, as well as their diaspora.

Edited by Al-Zaidi
  • Advanced Member

Assalamu Alaykum, Hayakum Allah.

As per ahadith, the Zaydiyyah are the same status as the Nawasib, meaning they're kuffar.

Muhammad b. Al-Hasan said: Narrated to me Abu Ali Al-Farsi who said: Mansoor recouted to us, from Al-Sadiq Ali b. Muhammad Al-Ridha (as): Verily the Zaydiyyah, and the Waqifiyyah, and the Naasib are the same likeness to him.

Keep me in your duas,

Hassan b. Salem al-Ilami.

Edited by Al-Afasy
  • Advanced Member

Assalamu Alaykum, Hayakum Allah.

As per ahadith, the Zaydiyyah are the same status as the Nawasib, meaning they're kuffar.

Muhammad b. Al-Hasan said: Narrated to me Abu Ali Al-Farsi who said: Mansoor recouted to us, from Al-Sadiq Ali b. Muhammad Al-Ridha (as): Verily the Zaydiyyah, and the Waqifiyyah, and the Naasib are the same likeness to him.

Keep me in your duas,

Hassan b. Salem al-Ilami.

What an amazing hadith.

• Veteran Member

He (Abu Bassir referred to by the Imam as abu Muhammad) said: “May Allah make me your sacrifice. We have been called with a name due to which our backs have been broken, our hearts have been dead, and the governors have deemed lawful to kill us—all for a narration that their scholars have related.”

The Imam (a) said: “You mean Rafidah, do you not?”

He answered: “Yes, I do.”

The Imam (a) said: “No, by Allah. It was not they who named you so. It was, in fact, Allah Who chose this name for you. O Abu Mohammed, have you not known that there were seventy men among the Israelites who rejected the Pharaoh and his people when their deviation had been proved to them? Accordingly, they joined Moses (a) when they knew his having been the right party. Because they rejected the Pharaoh, the party of Moses called them the Rafidah –the rejecters-. They were the best worshippers among the individuals of the party of Moses. Besides, they were the most affectionate of Moses, Aaron, and their descendants.

Then, Allah, Powerful and Majestic is He, ordered Moses, by way of revelation, to record this name for those people in the Torah, for He has chosen it for them. Moses (a) did. Allah then saved this name so as to use it for you.

O Abu Mohammed, the others rejected the good and you have rejected the evil and held fast on the good.

As people went in various directions and separated into different sects, you went in with the household of your Prophet Mohammed (s). You thus opted for what Allah has opted, chosen what Allah has chosen, and wanted what Allah has wanted.

Enjoy the good tidings. Surely, enjoy the good tidings. You are, by Allah, the compassioned ones whose righteous deeds will be accepted and wrongdoings will be overlooked. For him whoever does not come to Allah, on the Day of Resurrection, with the same beliefs that you have, his good deeds will not be accepted and his wrongdoings will not be overlooked

sadooq, fadhaail al-shi'a, hadith 18

• Advanced Member

He (Abu Bassir referred to by the Imam as abu Muhammad) said: “May Allah make me your sacrifice. We have been called with a name due to which our backs have been broken, our hearts have been dead, and the governors have deemed lawful to kill us—all for a narration that their scholars have related.”

The Imam (a) said: “You mean Rafidah, do you not?”

He answered: “Yes, I do.”

The Imam (a) said: “No, by Allah. It was not they who named you so. It was, in fact, Allah Who chose this name for you. O Abu Mohammed, have you not known that there were seventy men among the Israelites who rejected the Pharaoh and his people when their deviation had been proved to them? Accordingly, they joined Moses (a) when they knew his having been the right party. Because they rejected the Pharaoh, the party of Moses called them the Rafidah –the rejecters-. They were the best worshippers among the individuals of the party of Moses. Besides, they were the most affectionate of Moses, Aaron, and their descendants.

Then, Allah, Powerful and Majestic is He, ordered Moses, by way of revelation, to record this name for those people in the Torah, for He has chosen it for them. Moses (a) did. Allah then saved this name so as to use it for you.

O Abu Mohammed, the others rejected the good and you have rejected the evil and held fast on the good.

As people went in various directions and separated into different sects, you went in with the household of your Prophet Mohammed (s). You thus opted for what Allah has opted, chosen what Allah has chosen, and wanted what Allah has wanted.

Enjoy the good tidings. Surely, enjoy the good tidings. You are, by Allah, the compassioned ones whose righteous deeds will be accepted and wrongdoings will be overlooked. For him whoever does not come to Allah, on the Day of Resurrection, with the same beliefs that you have, his good deeds will not be accepted and his wrongdoings will not be overlooked

sadooq, fadhaail al-shi'a, hadith 18

Excellent Ahadeeth , I love it ^_^

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Are the Houthis of the Jarudiyya who curse Abu Bakr and Umar?

I once heard a report of somebody saying he saw them shooting at signs with the name of Abu Bakr and Umar written on it.

PS: maybe a Mod should move this thread to the other Sects section

Edited by jasir