Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
jaiart

Grand Ayatollah Abdul-latif Berry

Rate this topic

Can anyone shed any light on the subject of The first jurist of the west. Ayatollah Berry? I have heard different opinions of his status as jurist. Not to backfire just trying to know more for consideration of marjataqlid.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject of The first jurist of the west. Ayatollah Berry? I have heard different opinions of his status as jurist. Not to backfire just trying to know more for consideration of marjataqlid.

Bismihi Ta3ala,

In line with the guidelines set forth by all our Maraja on how one is considered a Marje Taqleed, at this time its important to ask if any individual who announces their Marjaeya be scrutinized before we accept them as such.

We must refer back to our Ahlul-Khibra, those who teach Bahth Kharij students and higher in learning, to see if they give any credibility to anyone who claims the Marjaeya.

We must also see if the person who claims Marjaeya has a certificate of Ijtihaad from any of his teachers as this is a pre-requisite to put forth your Marjaeya.

Please refer back to the concept of Taqleed and Marjaeya and its conditions and apply them in any and all cases of which it relates.

wow, this is an interesting development. Never heard of the man before, can anyone from the US shed some light on who he is and what his status has been in the American scholarly community before his announcement of marjaiyya? Is he really a heavy-weight or just has exaggerated ambitions?

His website gives a discussion on this announcement: http://iiokonline.org/questions-on-the-marjaeya.html

What's up with the name Berry by the way? It doesn't seem he's a white convert, is it just an americanised version of Al-Bari or something?

He is an alim here is Dearborn and is Imam of Islamic Institute of Knoweldge (Majma) on Schaefer Rd.

He published his Risalat (Book of Jurisprudence), I think last year. He has the right to do that because he was declared mujtahid

by some group of scholars either in Qum or Najaf (I forget which one). There is somewhat of a consensus in Dearborn that he is most likely mujtahid. Even though he is in the same city as I am and I could see him at any time, I don't do taqleed to him (and I don't know anyone who has switched to him from another marjaa although I know there are some). I don't consider him the most knowledgeable. There is a variety of opinions on the validity of doing taqleed to him. He is not very well known outside of Dearborn. Since he lived most of his life in Lebanon, obviously his Arabic is very good but his English is mediocre and he has a heavy accent in English and doesn't travel much outside the Lebanese community.

I think using the term 'Grand Ayatollah' is kind of a stretch. He is alim and (most likely) mujtahid and he published a Resalat. That would be a more accurate statement.

Edited by Abu Hadi

The Grand Ayatullah title comes from other places. That is one problem, he is referred to as imam Berry, Ayatullah Berry, and Grand Ayatullah Berry. I do know someone whom has declared MarjaTaqlid to him. I looked at it because he is here and being here since 1981 has experience in the west that others in the east may lack. Unfortunately I can't really determine for myself if he is as knowledgeable or more knowledgeable so as a precaution I must remain with Grand Ayatullah Syed Al-Sistani. The person I know who does MarjaTaqlid to Ayatullah Berry said she feels comfortable because she can pick up a phone and be in touch with his organization if not the Ayatullah himself.