Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Firuzeh18

Adhan

Rate this topic

Salam everyone,

I have a question regarding adhans. Firstly i know that the sunni adhan was slightly changed. Also could someone give me sahih hadith narrations that umar (or whoever it was) has changed the adhan. And the second question is, since when did (which imam's time) the shias include Ali un waliyuallah in the adhan and if there is a hadith regarding this it would be nice if you would share it with us.

Sunni adhan

( They also include The line "Prayer is better than sleep" is used only for the first prayers of the day at dawn)

Arabic:

أكبر

أشهد أن لا اله إلا الله

أشهد أن محمدا رسول الله

حي على الصلاة

حي على الفلاح

الله أكبر

لا إله إلا الله

Translitaration

Allahu Akbar

Ash-hadu an-la ilaha illa llah

Ash-hadu anna Muħammadan-Rasulullah

Hayya 'ala s-salah

Hayya 'ala 'l-falah

Allāhu akbar

La ilaha illa-Allah

Shia adhan

Arabic:

أكبر

أشهد أن لا اله إلا الله

أشهد أن محمدا رسول الله

اشهد ان عليا ولي الله

حي على الصلاة

حي على الفلاح

حي على خير العمل

الله أكبر

لا إله إلا الله

Translitaration

Allahu Akbar

Ash-hadu an-la ilaha illa llah

Ash-hadu anna Muħammadan-Rasulullah

Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah

Hayya 'ala s-salah

Hayya 'ala 'l-falah

Hayya- al Khair al amal

Allāhu akbar

La ilaha illa-Allah

(The red part has been added by shias)

(The green part has been removed by the sunnis)

Thank you for your posts.

(wasalam)

Edited by fahimah18

Salaam alaykum Sister :)

Technically "Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah" is not part of our Adhan & if you say it with the intention the it is indeed part of the Adhan, your Adhan is void.

It was pretty early to my understanding. When Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) was being cursed on the pulpits I heard that the followers would say this and then would say it in the Adhan to show their support of Amir-ul Mumineen (as). I heard a lecture by Seyed Ammar Nakshawani that on the day of Ghadir after the Prophet (pbuh&hf) announced Ali (as) as Master he told Abu Al-Ghaffari (ra) to call the Adhan and include: "Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah"

Seyed Ammar said we have one narration, just one... Sooooooooooo I'm not to sure what we should say about that but Sistani is of the opinion as I said before that if you say: "Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah" in the Adhan with the intention the it is part of the Adhan then your Adhan is void.

No sorry, I do not have a Hadith about Umar but I know the story. He was sleeping and one of his companions woke him up becuase he slept past the time or Fajr or something & his companion said to him "wake up o Khalifah (something along these lines) Salah is better than sleep" and Umar liked the line "prayer is better than sleep" so it was added to the Adhan.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help. If I have made a mistake anywhere I hope a more knowledgable Brother or Sister will correct me, inshAllah.

Wassalaam :)

AOA

Interesting...ive always wondered about this. thanks for the posts and links.

So basically shia have added a part to the azan and at the same time sunnis have added and removed parts. so we're both using altered azans. is there anybody reciting the correct one??

People should stop reciting this if it was not in the original sunnah of prophet pbuh...or should they?? am well confused now :wacko:

AOA

Interesting...ive always wondered about this. thanks for the posts and links.

So basically shia have added a part to the azan and at the same time sunnis have added and removed parts. so we're both using altered azans. is there anybody reciting the correct one??

People should stop reciting this if it was not in the original sunnah of prophet pbuh...or should they?? am well confused now :wacko:

I think it's okay if people choose to recite it, like in the Shahadah. The proper Shahadah is "There's no god but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah". A lot of Shi'ites add "and Ali is the vicar of Allah". That is not really part of the Shahadah, but a lot of people add it to the Shahadah to distinguish themselves from the Sunnis. Same with the Adhan. It's not really part of the Adhan, but some people say it. I don't think there's any harm in it, as long as you don't presume that it is actually part of the shahadah/adhan and make it wajib to say it. This is strictly my opinion. Best to contact a marja to be certain. I recommend Ayatollah Khamenei, he responded in 3 days for me. I'm still waiting on an Email from Ayatollah Sistan from like a month ago lol

It was pretty early to my understanding. When Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) was being cursed on the pulpits I heard that the followers would say this and then would say it in the Adhan to show their support of Amir-ul Mumineen (as).

If this were true, then you would have expected the Imams (as) to say something about it, which they didn't. Anyway, it didn't get the scholarly approval as 'part' of the adhan until something like the 17th century. Before that, it was considered bid`ah, as indicated by the link posted by brother Al-MuHammadee.

I heard a lecture by Seyed Ammar Nakshawani that on the day of Ghadir after the Prophet (pbuh&hf) announced Ali (as) as Master he told Abu Al-Ghaffari (ra) to call the Adhan and include: "Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah"

Actually, there is also a version where it is Salman al-Farsi that recites it, but in any case the original source for this is not a Shia book, but a Sunni one. And apparently quite a late one at that.

Seyed Ammar said we have one narration, just one...

And that one narration is some late Sunni/Sufi fabrication (which is found narrated in two contradictory ways), and has nothing to do with Shiaism. There are ZERO Shia narrations that talk about this. Supposedly there used to be some, but they were rejected by scholars such as Saduq as fabrications by the ghulat, and didn't survive.

Technically "Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah" is not part of our Adhan & if you say it with the intention the it is indeed part of the Adhan, your Adhan is void.

It was pretty early to my understanding. When Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) was being cursed on the pulpits I heard that the followers would say this and then would say it in the Adhan to show their support of Amir-ul Mumineen (as). I heard a lecture by Seyed Ammar Nakshawani that on the day of Ghadir after the Prophet (pbuh&hf) announced Ali (as) as Master he told Abu Al-Ghaffari (ra) to call the Adhan and include: "Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah"

Seyed Ammar said we have one narration, just one... Sooooooooooo I'm not to sure what we should say about that but Sistani is of the opinion as I said before that if you say: "Ash-hadu anna Aliyan wali-ul-lah" in the Adhan with the intention the it is part of the Adhan then your Adhan is void.

No sorry, I do not have a Hadith about Umar but I know the story. He was sleeping and one of his companions woke him up becuase he slept past the time or Fajr or something & his companion said to him "wake up o Khalifah (something along these lines) Salah is better than sleep" and Umar liked the line "prayer is better than sleep" so it was added to the Adhan.

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help. If I have made a mistake anywhere I hope a more knowledgable Brother or Sister will correct me, inshAllah.

I've said alot about the third Shahadah, so I'm not going to repeat it, but I'm just going to say this; firstly, Sistani is a high ranking scholar but he is not Masoom. Secondly, one doesn't have to agree with everything that your Mujtahid as to say. Third, if it is clear that the third Shahadah isn't part of the Ezaan and the Iqamah, then to say it in the Ezaan and the Iqamah is a clear addition, therefore an absolute violation of the Ezaan and the Iqamah, which should make your Ezaan and Iqamah void. Fourth, blind obedience of somebody who isn't Masoom [Gher-e-Masoom] is Haraam, forbidden. Fifth, just because the Mujtahid said this and just because the Mujtahid said that, one starts to follow him in a way, where they have total disregard for sense and logic is insane. Sixth, you tell me!

I've said alot about the third Shahadah, so I'm not going to repeat it, but I'm just going to say this; firstly, Sistani is a high ranking scholar but he is not Masoom. Secondly, one doesn't have to agree with everything that your Mujtahid as to say. Third, if it is clear that the third Shahadah isn't part of the Ezaan and the Iqamah, then to say it in the Ezaan and the Iqamah is a clear addition, therefore an absolute violation of the Ezaan and the Iqamah, which should make your Ezaan and Iqamah void. Fourth, blind obedience of somebody who isn't Masoom [Gher-e-Masoom] is Haraam, forbidden. Fifth, just because the Mujtahid said this and just because the Mujtahid said that, one starts to follow him in a way, where they have total disregard for sense and logic is insane. Sixth, you tell me!

Brother, to be honest I am rather confused after reading your post. What are you attempting to prove? I am in agreement with you that your Adhan and Iqama would be void, I only mentioned what Sistani said because he is the Marja I and a lot of Shia follow. I never said anything about him being Masoom or anything similar in my post. Neither I did I say we are to believe everything out Marja says...

After reading it again I have become even more confused. I'm not sure what your getting at Brother, perhaps there was a misunderstanding?

If this were true, then you would have expected the Imams (as) to say something about it, which they didn't. Anyway, it didn't get the scholarly approval as 'part' of the adhan until something like the 17th century. Before that, it was considered bid`ah, as indicated by the link posted by brother Al-MuHammadee.

Actually, there is also a version where it is Salman al-Farsi that recites it, but in any case the original source for this is not a Shia book, but a Sunni one. And apparently quite a late one at that.

And that one narration is some late Sunni/Sufi fabrication (which is found narrated in two contradictory ways), and has nothing to do with Shiaism. There are ZERO Shia narrations that talk about this. Supposedly there used to be some, but they were rejected by scholars such as Saduq as fabrications by the ghulat, and didn't survive.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up Brother. Yeah, I only mentioned it because I thought it was somewhat relevant as I heard it from a lecture by Seyed Ammar.

A month? Wow, I usually have a response by a day...

Brother, to be honest I am rather confused after reading your post. What are you attempting to prove? I am in agreement with you that your Adhan and Iqama would be void, I only mentioned what Sistani said because he is the Marja I and a lot of Shia follow. I never said anything about him being Masoom or anything similar in my post. Neither I did I say we are to believe everything out Marja says...

After reading it again I have become even more confused. I'm not sure what your getting at Brother, perhaps there was a misunderstanding?

Ah, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up Brother. Yeah, I only mentioned it because I thought it was somewhat relevant as I heard it from a lecture by Seyed Ammar.

A month? Wow, I usually have a response by a day...

What i've said is absolutely crystal clear, simple and straightforward!

I'm still waiting on an Email from Ayatollah Sistan from like a month ago lol

I would suggest E-mailing them again, the rarest occasion for me was when they took 14 days to respond. If it's been a month it's likely that maybe they accidentally deleted the E-mail or there was some technical difficulty or something similar, since usually they reply in 1-4 days.