Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aarash_Australia

Iran Forced To Store Oil For Lack Of Customers

Rate this topic

(Reuters) - Iran has been forced to deploy more than half its fleet of supertankers to store oil at anchorage in the Gulf as buyers of its crude cut back because of sanctions, two Iran-based shipping sources said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/23/uk-iran-tankers-idUKBRE83M0VA20120423?feedType=RSS&feedName=GCA-GoogleNewsUK

Meanwhile, Iranian economist Hossein Raghfar claims that the second phase of Ahmadinejad's subsidy cuts will increase inflation by another 60% and "destroy domestic production."

According to Central Bank statistics (doubted by everyone, including Conservative members of parliament) prices have risen 44% for dairy products, 47% for vegetables, 46% for meat, and 34% for chicken.

From personal experience in Tehran, I know these figures are very conservative.

http://aftabnews.ir/vdcgww9q3ak9nq4.rpra.html

Upper-middle and middle class Iranians are a nationalistic people, which is why they hesitate to overthrow the regime.... ( I admit the regime enjoys more or less good support among the proletariat, mainly because of religion and superstition )

That's oversimplifying things to the point of meaninglessness....

That then Ba'athism is a pretty simple ideology, so I wouldn't expect much else from the likes of ye!

But why is Iran not able to sell its oil?

There is a shortage in the market and the price of oil is over the roof. Shouldn't someone be buying the Iranian oil right now?

Sanctions.

Even China has dropped its Iranian imports by 30% since January - most likely to pressure Iran to force them to drop prices even further (China and Russia are already buying at well below market rates).

China just halved it's imports in March and South Korea cut it by 40%.

Sanctions forcing Iran to store oil in tankers at sea

2_501202_1_252.jpg

http://www.gulf-time...48&parent_id=28

This is just embarrassing. Tankers are just waiting for someone to buy like beggars on the ocean. But don't worry, we still have dignity, morals, and we will never compromise our principles... :wacko:

All you IRI supporters stick to your words, remember no compromising IRI principles.....you better not change when things get much harder...this is just the start...

For once taking Economy in school is being put to good use.

Edited by Ugly Jinn

http://tehrantimes.com/economy-and-business/97128-iran-boosts-output-and-exports-of-oil-in-february-despite-sanctions

Iranian crude oil exports increased more than 3 percent in February despite pressure from economic sanctions, an analysis of OPEC countries say.

Iran increased output and exports of oil in February as Saudi Arabia cut back on production and shipments, official data posted on the Joint Organization Data Initiative’s website showed.

Iran, the second-largest producer in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, increased crude output by 0.9 percent to 3.752 million barrels a day in February, according to JODI figures. Iran’s exports rose to 2.338 million barrels a day that month from 2.265 million in January, Bloomberg reported.

Iranian Oil Minister Rostam Qasemi said from Tehran this week that the Iranian oil industry has seen few effects of sanctions. Because of the high quality of Iran's crude oil, he said, there aren't any restrictions in the global market, Iran's Press TV reports.

That's oversimplifying things to the point of meaninglessness....

That then Ba'athism is a pretty simple ideology, so I wouldn't expect much else from the likes of ye!

The anti-regime Iranians (those that are still living in Iran) feel that if they try to overthrow the regime, regional enemies will try to take advantage.

Don't forget the Shahi secular officers who fought for Khomeini in the 1980s.

Ahem....ahem......who said "economics is for donkeys" ?

http://tehrantimes.c...spite-sanctions

Iranian crude oil exports increased more than 3 percent in February despite pressure from economic sanctions, an analysis of OPEC countries say.

Iran increased output and exports of oil in February as Saudi Arabia cut back on production and shipments, official data posted on the Joint Organization Data Initiative’s website showed.

Iran, the second-largest producer in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, increased crude output by 0.9 percent to 3.752 million barrels a day in February, according to JODI figures. Iran’s exports rose to 2.338 million barrels a day that month from 2.265 million in January, Bloomberg reported.

Iranian Oil Minister Rostam Qasemi said from Tehran this week that the Iranian oil industry has seen few effects of sanctions. Because of the high quality of Iran's crude oil, he said, there aren't any restrictions in the global market, Iran's Press TV reports.

Tehran Times, lol.

Better than; according to some next, ''two Iran-based shipping sources'' used by Reuters to come up with the story.

I use a combination of Western, Iranian, pro-government, and anti-government sources in my posts.

You, apparently, use the Tehran Times! Which has a circulation of about 12,000 :-D

they're getting it cheaper because of the sanctions - Iranian government can't afford to charge the right price. China and Russia are being very shrewd, knowing the effects of the EU embargo in July.

This is something new to me!!!! Russia is the world's TOP oil exporter, if I am not mistaken. Why, how and when it began to import Iranian or other countries' oil?

This is something new to me!!!! Russia is the world's TOP oil exporter, if I am not mistaken. Why, how and when it began to import Iranian or other countries' oil?

Why how or when? Do you think Russia doesnt import oil? Maybe im missunderstanding your comment, but Russia does import and export oil.

Edited by iDevonian

Russia buys Iranian oil and natural gas and sells it onto Europe at a nifty profit, due to their superior pipeline infrastructure.

http://tehrantimes.c...spite-sanctions

I think whats important in this discussion is long term trends. Not month for month changes. Its like the global warming debate. You cant look at one months temperatures and come to a conclusion. You have to look for trends over the span of multiple years.

If anyone wants to make a point in this discussion, they should get Iranian production and export statistics from the past 2 years or so, and compare them to the numbers today.

Just looking around at various sources, it looks like Irans production has been dropping (4.0+ million bbls to around 3.5-3.7). But thats not a surprise, even without sanctions their production would drop due to aging fields. Though that's not to say the sanctions arent doing anything or wont do anything.

Irans exports appear to be about the same as they were a couple years ago. Maybe a little bit lower but i dont see any very significant changes. its been hovering around 2.2 - 2.0.

If Irans production decreases and its exports remain the same and its consumption continues to increase, Irans economy...well you can do the math. Iran may be stocking up on oil so they actually have some in the coming years.

Edited by iDevonian

Why how or when? Do you think Russia doesnt import oil? Maybe im missunderstanding your comment, but Russia does import and export oil.

Export and then import? Any source? Each source I looked up says Russia is the top oil exporter of the world besides Saudi Arabia... Why would Russia, Saudi or Iraq for example import oil? I am not arguing against anyone here, just want to know if such thing exists.

Aarash why Russia doesn't sell its own oil but instead it buys Iran's and then makes money on that? No country has even close to what Russia has..it exports more than Saudi some years.. Any source or link that Russia buys and sells Iranian oil instead of its own and makes more money that way?

Export and then import? Any source? Each source I looked up says Russia is the top oil exporter of the world besides Saudi Arabia... Why would Russia, Saudi or Iraq for example import oil? I am not arguing against anyone here, just want to know if such thing exists.

Aarash why Russia doesn't sell its own oil but instead it buys Iran's and then makes money on that? No country has even close to what Russia has..it exports more than Saudi some years.. Any source or link that Russia buys and sells Iranian oil instead of its own and makes more money that way?

Well, why wouldnt a country import oil is the real question. Just because a country can produce oil doesnt mean that it has no reason to continue to import oil as well. Just google it, or give me a bit and ill dig something up.

Well, why wouldnt a country import oil is the real question. Just because a country can produce oil doesnt mean that it has no reason to continue to import oil as well. Just google it, or give me a bit and ill dig something up.

OK. I thought you knew something or had enough information on oil market & its import/export. But, seems that you just want to take sides for some reasons LOL :lol:

And yes I did google, the list of importers and exporters on Wiki and other sources gave no idication of such a thing.

You didn't answer my question, this was just stupid what you said.... AGAIN, why would Russia, Saudi, Kuwait, Iraq IMPORT oil????????? They are known to be the main exporters and in case of Russia, the TOP exporter of oil in the world who doesn't need any import even for a penny. Except what Aarash said might makes sense, but still it doesn't I guess... first, because there is no such evidence, and second, Russia would use its own oil to send them to EU instead of BUYING Iranian oil and then sending to Europe.

Iran's oil exports according wiki:

Irans_Oil_Exports.png

Edited by Noah-

OK. I thought you knew something or had enough information on oil market & its import/export. But, seems that you just want to take sides for some reasons LOL :lol:

And yes I did google, the list of importers and exporters on Wiki and other sources gave no idication of such a thing.

You didn't answer my question, this was just stupid what you said.... AGAIN, why would Russia, Saudi, Kuwait, Iraq IMPORT oil????????? They are known to be the main exporters and in case of Russia, the TOP exporter of oil in the world who doesn't need any import even for a penny. Except what Aarash said might makes sense, but still it doesn't I guess... first, because there is no such evidence, and second, Russia would use its own oil to send them to EU instead of BUYING Iranian oil and then sending to Europe.

Iran's oil exports according wiki:

Irans_Oil_Exports.png

Russia would import oil so that it can use it...why else would they import it? Why does any country import oil? The reason i didnt answer your question is because its a stupid one that i figured was rhetoric. I didnt think you actually wanted an answer.

Just because you produce X amount of oil, doesnt mean you can use that same amount. They have to refine it.

http://www.indexmund....aspx?c=rs&v=93

What is wrong with you? Bold typing acting like im making things up because I said that Russia imports oil. Its common sense. Now quit being rude.

hahahaha...good ol shia chat, i never cease to be amazed by the discussions some of you provide.

Why would Russia import oil??????? Oh so they can use it? oh ok...

Or maybe you want a more specific answer? They use the combustible hydrocarbons to generate energy for their vehicles. There ya go, now everyone is happy.

oh, and you need to upgrade your google skills boy.

Edited by iDevonian

Maybe because they are importing crude oil and exporting refined oil?

And the reverse must be for the oil producing countries.

Yes, thank you. Oil Producing countries like Russia.

Edited by iDevonian

Russia would import oil so that it can use it...why else would they import it? Why does any country import oil? The reason i didnt answer your question is because its a stupid one that i figured was rhetoric. I didnt think you actually wanted an answer.

Just because you produce X amount of oil, doesnt mean you can use that same amount. They have to refine it.

What is wrong with you? Bold typing acting like im making things up because I said that Russia imports oil. Its common sense. Now quit being rude.

hahahaha...good ol shia chat, i never cease to be amazed by the discussions some of you provide.

Why would Russia import oil??????? Oh so they can use it? oh ok...

Or maybe you want a more specific answer? They use the combustible hydrocarbons to generate energy for their vehicles. There ya go, now everyone is happy.

oh, and you need to upgrade your google skills boy.

What the heck are you talking about? I simply asked for a a reference, a link and an evidence that you or the person who made this claim to provide.... BUT YOU FAILED.

You didn't answer because you COULDN'T answer and you asked for more time so you could "dig" in and look up in google because you had no idea... You simply wanted to side with Aarash whom you think you have to side with if there is something against Iran. While my question wasn't against or for anyone... simply a question regarding the FACTS....

I posted a simple map and there are 100s of other references where IT LISTS those countires who BUY IRANIAN OIL. And Russia is not one of them. And there is enough reasons for Russians not to be one of them.

You were and still are so confused that you went on to support the idea Gypsy provided regarding the refined oil, where it is not the case at all.

I am not here to beat you or anyone else or to compete with you... Simply wanted to know if that was true and somethin hidden going on between Iran and Russia, where Russia purchases Iranian oil... BECAUSE STATISTICS and known Iranian buyers are KNOWN.

Now how much you SAY STUPID STUFF oh ya they import because they buy they buy because they need... STILL THE ANSWER IS NOOOOO! Saudi, Russia or Kuwait NEVER import oil, unless there is some special case that we are not aware of it and they are not enlisted. Again proivde any reference, any number where Iranian sources, Russian sources or even a 3rd party sources ever provided any number, any year that Russians are buying Iranian oil.

AND ONCE YOU FAILED TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIMS WITH SOLID EVIDENCE, DO NOT BARK ON SHIACHAT USERS and how they make an argument. You are reply here to my posts and answer the direct questions... That little graph of yours tells nothing (Russia imports from where?), except testies that you are nothing but a fool.

Edited by Noah-

What the heck are you talking about? I simply asked for a a reference, a link and an evidence that you or the person who made this claim to provide.... BUT YOU FAILED.

You didn't answer because you COULDN'T answer and you asked for more time so you could "dig" in and look up in google because you had no idea... You simply wanted to side with Aarash whom you think you have to side with if there is something against Iran. While my question wasn't against or for anyone... simply a question regarding the FACTS....

You were and still are so confused that you went on to support the idea Gypsy provided regarding the refined oil, where it is not the case at all.

I am not here to beat you or anyone else or to compete with you... Simply wanted to know if that was true and somethin hidden going on between Iran and Russia, where Russia purchases Iranian oil... BECAUSE STATISTICS and known Iranian buyers are KNOWN.

Now how much you SAY STUPID STUFF oh ya they import because they buy they buy because they need... STILL THE ANSWER IS NOOOOO! Saudi, Russia or Kuwait NEVER import oil, unless there is some special case that we are not aware of it and they are not enlisted. Again proivde any reference, any number where Iranian sources, Russian sources or even a 3rd party sources ever provided any number, any year that Russians are buying Iranian oil.

AND ONCE YOU FAILED TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIMS WITH SOLID EVIDENCE, DO NOT BARK ON SHIACHAT USERS and how they make an argument. You are reply here to my posts and answer the direct questions... That little graph of yours tells nothing (Russia imports from where?), except testies that you are nothing but a fool.

ok, and I provided a link in my following post to imports of Russia. With that said, the rest of your post is irrelevant.

Let me recap right quick

You: "Why, how and when it began to import Iranian or other countries' oil?"

Me: "Maybe im missunderstanding your comment, but Russia does import and export oil."

You: "Why would Russia, Saudi or Iraq for example import oil?"

Me: "Well, why wouldnt a country import oil is the real question."

You: "AGAIN, why would Russia, Saudi, Kuwait, Iraq IMPORT oil?????????"

Gypsy: "Maybe because they are importing crude oil and exporting refined oil? And the reverse must be for the oil producing countries."

Me: "Russia would import oil so that it can use it..." "http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=rs&v=93" "

and yes, thank you Gypsy, that is correct

Ok? Link provided, conclusion found.

Russia does in fact import oil, if you cant see this, then its not my problem. Ill be on my way now. If the one link isnt enough you can go to the US energy information website, it provides information about every countries oil imports and exports along with production among other things. In about 2-3 minutes of using google with the search terms "Russia Oil Imports", i have very easily stumbled across many many websites that talk about Russian oil imports. Here are a few...

http://www.eia.gov/c...ata.cfm?fips=RS

http://books.google....0russia&f=false

http://www.rustrade....eration_en.html

http://www.indexmundi.com/map/?v=93

http://www.exchanger...-of-Russia.html

http://www.nationsen...il-imports.html

Ok, im going to stop there. And I will give credit to google for allowing me to see that Russia does in fact import oil.

And dont accuse me of siding with aarash, i dont know that person, nor do i care for what they are saying. And no i didnt go to Gypsy because I was confused, I agreed with Gypsy because she just stated the truth, and its a very simple and well known truth, and I thank her for saying it before I could. Im glad someone in this discussion was bright enough to conjure the concept that a country may need to import oil even if it exports a great amount as well.

I just provided a multitude of links for you because clearly you were too simple to find them yourself, and congratulations for being the real fool in this discussion.

Edited by iDevonian

Guest Jebreil

(bismillah)

(salam)

No Shi'a should desire the weakness of Iran - not because of WF, but because it is a nation of many Shi'as. Reform, sure - but I sense nasty mirth in some of the anti-Iran posts. Friendly criticism never gloats.

(wasalam)

Russia and U.S. usually purchase oil because it's toward their advantage.

For the U.S. they get to reserve the original native oil of these lands for the future.

For Russia, they don't have to harvest and mine for oil coming out of the ice. It's too expensive.

I heard however part of Russia's obsession with Chechnya was because of the oil.

And for the record, im not anti Iran either. Regardless though, and im not sure if I said this already, but Irans production is dropping, probably for a number of reasons. Its exports are generally the same, or so it appears, maybe slightly lower than they were a couple years ago, but it doesnt appear to be too significant.

Just an idea, if Irans production is dropping, and its exports are remaining the same, and its consumption is rising, then that means Iran will be gradually running out of oil. So the question is, how long will Iran last? Maybe the stockpile of oil is to extend this time by assisting with self sustainability. Maybe Iran foresees something that i do not.

Aside from that though, Oil itself in the world will not last forever. Its a limited resource. Oil fields are aging, they are increasingly more challenging to open up, and its not just Iran that is running into this issue, its the world. Which is why places like the EU are going green, its a necessity.

Russia and U.S. usually purchase oil because it's toward their advantage.

For the U.S. they get to reserve the original native oil of these lands for the future.

For Russia, they don't have to harvest and mine for oil coming out of the ice. It's too expensive.

I heard however part of Russia's obsession with Chechnya was because of the oil.

And as for the US, the US, if you look statistically, wont have any oil in the next 40 years or so (in regards to production). Which is probably why everyone is all gung ho get it from canada.

Edited by iDevonian

And for the record, im not anti Iran either. Regardless though, and im not sure if I said this already, but Irans production is dropping, probably for a number of reasons. Its exports are generally the same, or so it appears, maybe slightly lower than they were a couple years ago, but it doesnt appear to be too significant.

Just an idea, if Irans production is dropping, and its exports are remaining the same, and its consumption is rising, then that means Iran will be gradually running out of oil. So the question is, how long will Iran last? Maybe the stockpile of oil is to extend this time by assisting with self sustainability. Maybe Iran foresees something that i do not.

Aside from that though, Oil itself in the world will not last forever. Its a limited resource. Oil fields are aging, they are increasingly more challenging to open up, and its not just Iran that is running into this issue, its the world. Which is why places like the EU are going green, its a necessity.

And as for the US, the US, if you look statistically, wont have any oil in the next 40 years or so (in regards to production). Which is probably why everyone is all gung ho get it from canada. And also, with oil production dropping in the US, we should not be surprised if the US works to find its resources over seas.

What's a necessity for some might not be a necessity for all.

For Europe, they don't produce as much oil as these countries like Iran, Libya, Venezuela etc.

So for them, they have no choice but to find alternatives.

Especially, just think about it.

A country like Norway is going to be in big trouble.

How is it going to run its welfare agendas without having lucrative resources?

So they'll have to turn to alternatives ASAP, since extracting petroleum from ice costs billions and billions of dollars and by the time you have oil to sell in your hands, you've made no profits.

BTW I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you. I have no idea what any of these countries have in store for the next 100 years.

Edited by ShiaBen

What's a necessity for some might not be a necessity for all.

For Europe, they don't produce as much oil as these countries like Iran, Libya, Venezuela etc.

So for them, they have no choice but to find alternatives.

Especially, just think about it.

A country like Norway is going to be in big trouble.

How is it going to run its welfare agendas without having lucrative resources?

So they'll have to turn to alternatives ASAP, since extracting petroleum from ice costs billions and billions of dollars and by the time you have oil to sell in your hands, you've made no profits.

BTW I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you. I have no idea what any of these countries have in store for the next 100 years.

ya thats fine.

I would say more, but i think everyone knows that, this is a very serious situation for Iran.

Edited by iDevonian