Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali Musaaa :)

[LAWS]Is This Type Of Music Haram?

Rate this topic

Salaam alaykum

This may seem like a silly question but I want to know if this type of music is haram or halal?

It's by Maher Zain. I like listening to nasheeds but I heard that musical instruments are haram... Would someone be able to tell me if this kind of nasheeds are halal or not?

Also, would it depend on the Marja you follow? If it helps I follow Sistani..

Wassalaam :)

Guest Mushu

It's down to the individual. Personally, I think it's Haram.

The reason being that apart from the words, everything else about the song sounds like a common pop song. It sounds like the music of Fasiqeen, and that makes it Haram.

It's down to the individual. Personally, I think it's Haram.

The reason being that apart from the words, everything else about the song sounds like a common pop song. It sounds like the music of Fasiqeen, and that makes it Haram.

I agree Brother. It very similar to common pop songs. What do you mean it "sounds like the music of Fasiqeen..."? Fasiq means hypocrite, right? Could you please elaborate? So I'm presuming Fasiqeen means hypocrites? Sorry, I don't know any Arabic, I've just heard this word before. I may be wrong.

Guest Mushu

I agree Brother. It very similar to common pop songs. What do you mean it "sounds like the music of Fasiqeen..."? Fasiq means hypocrite, right? Could you please elaborate? So I'm presuming Fasiqeen means hypocrites? Sorry, I don't know any Arabic, I've just heard this word before. I may be wrong.

A Fasiq is one who openly disobeys the Divine Laws. As in, he drinks, commits adultery, etc. Obviously, musicians (in the contemporary sense of the word) are Fasiqeen, and therefore their music is that of the Fasiqeen.

A Fasiq is one who openly disobeys the Divine Laws. As in, he drinks, commits adultery, etc. Obviously, musicians (in the contemporary sense of the word) are Fasiqeen, and therefore their music is that of the Fasiqeen.

Hmm, I agree once again Brother. Thank you for that :) I will inshAllah refrain from listing to these types of nasheeds. But just to clarify, not all nasheeds are haram, right? Only songs that are of similar nature to this one?

Edited by Ali :)

Guest Mushu

Hmm, I agree once again Brother. Thank you for that :) I will inshAllah refrain from listing to these types of nasheeds. But just to clarify, not all nasheeds are haram, right? Only songs that are of similar nature to this one?

Yes, not all Nasheeds are Haram. Only ones which sound like Haram music.

(salam)

According to fatwas, there are some instruments which are haram (like guitar etc..) --> totally haram

But when allowed instruments are used, we have sometime a doubt on the nature of the nasheed..

So if the nasheed/song make you move, i would say it's haram..

There's a fatwa of marhum Ayatollah Bahjat: when you mix the sugar in your tea/coffee with a teaspoon, it makes a sound like "ting, ting, ting, ting.." and if this sound makes you move, it's HARAM..

And if a nasheed sounds like music, avoit it..

So as Mushu said, it's down to individually

ps: i consider this one as haram, sounds like music..

Edited by cendrillon

Salaam alaykum

This may seem like a silly question but I want to know if this type of music is haram or halal?

It's by Maher Zain. I like listening to nasheeds but I heard that musical instruments are haram... Would someone be able to tell me if this kind of nasheeds are halal or not?

Also, would it depend on the Marja you follow? If it helps I follow Sistani..

Wassalaam :)

I think best thing to do is put in an istifta or question to say sistani and he will answer u

I personally find them motivational and inspiring..

I think best thing to do is put in an istifta or question to say sistani and he will answer u

Yeah I should but I'm pretty sure it is haram for several reasons, some of which, Mushu pointed out.

Guest Mushu

That's unrealistic. Maraji3 don't say specifically, this song is Halal, this song is Haram - they give a general ruling, which you must apply to yourself. For example, we may both do Taqlid of Marji3 X, but something that is Halal for me, may be Haram for you.

Yeah I should but I'm pretty sure it is haram for several reasons, some of which, Mushu pointed out.

could be haram bro its ijtihad.. remember, some songs like the ones armies play before a battle that boosts moral and gets your blood pumping are also halal according to some maraji' best thing to do is ask bro theres no harm and its their islamic obligation to lead you to the truth inshallah.

As far as I know, if you follow Sistani, the criteria to know if some music is Halal or not is to reflect upon the intended use of the melody; if it is appropiate for entertainment places (where people usually engage in Haram activities, like dancing and drinking alcohol) then it's not Halal.

Pop music wouldn't be Halal because of the above. This song is quite pop-like, although given it's a nasheed, religious, and apparently not intended to be listened in places of entertainment, I'm kinda divided on it. Perhaps Makruh due to the instruments and pop-ish melody?

As far as I know, if you follow Sistani, the criteria to know if some music is Halal or not is to reflect upon the intended use of the melody; if it is appropiate for entertainment places (where people usually engage in Haram activities, like dancing and drinking alcohol) then it's not Halal.

Pop music wouldn't be Halal because of the above. This song is quite pop-like, although given it's a nasheed, religious, and apparently not intended to be listened in places of entertainment, I'm kinda divided on it. Perhaps Makruh due to the instruments and pop-ish melody?

which is why i said make an istifta :)

I agree. Sistani has answered a question of mine on Music with a similar response but I will still do my best to avoid it :)

which is why i said make an istifta :)

What is istifta?

Istifita is when you ask a question to sayed sistani or his representatives via

www.sistani.org

your question will be answered asap and youll be sent a scanned document of the question and answer itself inshallah

if you need help let me know brother

First I would say that go according to the fatwa of your marjaa. There are some (like Sayyid Goblgani(ra)) which do not allow any music, some, like Imam Khomeni(ra) and Imam Khameni(ha) allow classical, nasheed, and background music in movies. Sayyid Sistani(ha)'s fatwa was stated above. 

If you are within the broad limits set by your marjaa', but you still are not sure if something is halal, try to examine yourself and see how this music affects you. I ask myself two questions, first, am I addicted to this music, in other words, could I turn it off and never listen to it again without causing myself psychological distress. If my answer is no, then listening to this music is unhealthy spiritually as it is attaching you to the dunya. Second, how is this music affecting me ?  Is it bringing me closer to Allah(s.w.a), or at least not taking me further from Allah(s.w.a) ? 

When I listen to this music, is it leading my thoughts toward the haram ? Music is a very personal thing and the same song can affect two people in very different ways. For example, when I hear Bollywood music, it has no affect on me at all (except maybe making me a little annoyed) , but it would affect someone from India or Pakistan in a completely different way. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

Salam,

Well some notes can stimulate sexuall desire! other music if it does not have a specific disco beat is ok , like clasicall music, also the type of music you may hear in press tv, personally i find trance music good for excersize...