Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
jonaec

Sight Seeing In Egypt

Rate this topic

ÓáÇã Úáíßã

I am travelling to Egypt this summer, and I looking for places that are not normal tourist spots. I will be seeing the pyramids, mosques, and markets; but I want to know some of the places to see that most travelers don't get to see.

jazak Allah

Cairo is filled with tourists... and helllluva lot of Egyptians.

I personally could only bare Cairo for a couple of days, before the congestion, pollution and over-population and chaos gets to you.

You should spend some days in the coastal city of Alexandria, Egypt's second city. It is also heavily populated, but not as much as Cairo, and along the Corniche, you get this pleasant breeze coming in from the Mediterranean Sea. The weather is so much nicer and the city isn't filled with as many tourists.

I like to mingle in the local areas and there's many areas like these such as Cleopatra, Muharram Bek, Miami, etc. The more upmarket part is the developed San Stefano which also has a very large shopping mall there.

There is a small museum in Alexandria called the Greco-Roman musem or mat7af roomani - it's not as popular as the Cairo museum, but some interesting stuff there none the less.

I am studying in Cairo, so that's where I'll be spending most of my time. I do plan on going to Alexandria and Sharm al-sheikh, and all the museums I can find. I will definitely read through that thread. Thank you so much!

Are you studying at the Fajr institute in Cairo? I studied at the University of Alexandria.

Oh yeah, also check out the Bibliotecha Alexandrina, it's got a modern contemporary design to it, but it is located on the site of the original Library of Alexandria, which was once home to the largest collection of books of knowledge and science in the ancient world.

There it is on the right, the corniche is further up along the coast.

Alexandria+Biblioteca+general+view+-+Egypt.jpg

I am studying at the American University in Cairo. It's not only my first time in Egypt, but also my first trip out of the US. It's going to be amazing. I read through the thread that was mentioned earlier, and it definitely helped me add things to my to-do list.