Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aarash_Australia

Iranian Government Stocking Up On Food

Rate this topic

Exclusive: Iran poised to start big feed grain imports

(Reuters) - Iran's government is expected to start buying hundreds of thousands of tonnes of feed grains as western sanctions are causing enormous disruption to the financing of Iran's imports, traders said on Thursday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/12/us-grain-iran-sanctions-idUSBRE83B0UT20120412?feedType=RSS&feedName=Iran&virtualBrandChannel=10209&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=59365

With inflation at 21.5%, and comments from such websites as Khabar Online complaining about the cost of milk and meat (50% price hikes in some areas), conservative media such as Farda and Baztab Emrooz are criticizing Ahmadinejad for making "unrealistic" claims (such as the claim that 1.6 million jobs were created in the last year.

http://www.digarban.com/node/6017

as usual the Islamic Republic has its priorities right masha Allah ..

and no matter what anybody does .. there will always be critics .. also inflation is worse in other parts of the world & it isn't easy being the only islamic country on earth .. there are all kinds of jihads including economic .. Allah is on their sides and let's all do duas for Iran and the brave Iranians ..

as usual the Islamic Republic has its priorities right masha Allah ..

and no matter what anybody does .. there will always be critics .. also inflation is worse in other parts of the world & it isn't easy being the only islamic country on earth .. there are all kinds of jihads including economic .. Allah is on their sides and let's all do duas for Iran and the brave Iranians ..

ah..... what?

you may as well have just written "jibba jabba wobble wibble blah blah jibber jabba Allah-O AKBAR!"

nice of you to encourage the government to commit economic suicide and let the people suffer while you sit snug and comfortable in..... where? US? UK?

first of all where i am makes no difference!! in the end we will all be in our graves & the way you attack people for being in muslim-hating west kind of sounds like you are jealous .. as well as feeling sorry for yourself ! and for your info i am not in the west & am living in a struggling country.

you know what? there are people in the UK and the US living in the slums much poorer and in much worse conditions than anywhere in Iran .. with crime rates soaring, .. so learn some Islam and say AlhamduliLah .. and please stop judging others and making fun of them ..

telling me

ah..... what?

you may as well have just written "jibba jabba wobble wibble blah blah jibber jabba Allah-O AKBAR!"

is not only making fun of me .. but you dare to include the name of Allah in this?? man, i am not offended so don't worry .. it's for your own good ..

now .. tell me because i really would like to hear from you .. what exactly would you do if you were president of Iran?

I could be here all night......

1. No need to enrich above 20% for peaceful purposes. Promise not to do so - sanctions lifted, half the economic problems solved.

2. Stop censoring half the freakin' internet

3. Enforce the law (corruption), enforce the constitution (separation of powers).

4. Stop imprisoning "though criminals" - teachers, journalists, artists, activists, etc.

5. Stop executions of those convicted of minor crimes

6. Allow rights for minorities (Kurds, Azeris, Balochis, etc). To get educated in their own language, etc.

7. Ratify UN treaties, join the WTO, make it easier to do business (Iran is currently ranked 143rd in the world, lower than many sub-Saharan African countries)

8. Make it possible to actually visit the country. Iran has many, many more tourist attractions when compared to Turkey, but less than a 10th the number of tourists. Billions and billions of dollars are lost here.

I mean, I could go on all night...

well, the UN and the WTO don't want Iran to be Islamic to start with .. has little to do with 20% nuclear issue ..

countries who are guilty of many more crimes than fallible human iranians don't have sanctions on them . that should prove it .. that includes countries that have nukes .. didn't sign the NPT .. and massacre their minorities ..

.. also countries that execute people for no crimes .. and promote criminals ..

so your argument isn't convincing man

also, tourism is kind of hard to maintain when there are super-powers threatening to bomb you pretty much every day ..

also UN doesn't put sanctions on countries that invade other countries for years and kill innocent civilians and destroy infrastructure .. and arrest lots of people and execute them for no reason .. and don't promote tourism for them either .. so the whole situation is like a joke .. how can a UN or WTO be trusted in such situations ?? isn't that double- standards and hypocrisy?

alhamduliLah for Sayid Khamenei :)

1. No need to enrich above 20% for peaceful purposes. Promise not to do so - sanctions lifted, half the economic problems solved.

3. Enforce the law (corruption), enforce the constitution (separation of powers).

4. Stop imprisoning "though criminals" - teachers, journalists, artists, activists, etc.

6. Allow rights for minorities (Kurds, Azeris, Balochis, etc). To get educated in their own language, etc.

7. Ratify UN treaties, join the WTO, make it easier to do business (Iran is currently ranked 143rd in the world, lower than many sub-Saharan African countries)

8. Make it possible to actually visit the country. Iran has many, many more tourist attractions when compared to Turkey, but less than a 10th the number of tourists. Billions and billions of dollars are lost here.

I mean, I could go on all night...

No need to be here all night....

Uranium-235

This is currently the most common fuel in nuclear reactors. Natural Uranium must be enriched to contain about 3-5% 235U before it can be used in most conventional reactors. The CANDU Heavy-Water reactor can use natural Uranium. To create a weapon Uranium must be enriched above 80%. Highly enriched Uranium (more than 20% enrichment) is also used for reactors in naval vessels and for research reactors.

Various techniques can be used to enrich Uranium. Any of these techniques used to enrich Uranium for power plants could in theory be further used to produce 235U in pure enough quantities for nuclear weapons.

Yeah, they should actually censor about 70-80%, half is way to little. But yeah, i do agree that they don't exactly have good control of what they are censoring.

Not an easy task, even after 30 years. Do you honestly believe they aren't trying, or do you just like to make everything Iranian government officials do as terrible?

Well, in your point 3 you say enforce the law, so are you suggesting that there is something wrong with the law or that they arrest these people for fun while avoiding the law?

Like?

Do you know how many friggin minorities Iran has? It's like me demanding the government in Norway to have a free Farsi class in school. It's just plain silly.

It's not illegal to teach Azeri, Kurdish etc, it just has to be private.

This deserves its own thread, pointless to discuss it here.

I know plenty of people who have traveled to Iran. What exactly is hard about travelling there?

I know plenty of people who have traveled to Iran. What exactly is hard about travelling there?

The last thing Iran needs is the same sort of trash who visit Turkey en masse and who corrupt the local population. Mass tourism is not economic development, it's prostitution.

No need to be here all night....

Uranium-235

This is currently the most common fuel in nuclear reactors. Natural Uranium must be enriched to contain about 3-5% 235U before it can be used in most conventional reactors. The CANDU Heavy-Water reactor can use natural Uranium. To create a weapon Uranium must be enriched above 80%. Highly enriched Uranium (more than 20% enrichment) is also used for reactors in naval vessels and for research reactors.

Various techniques can be used to enrich Uranium. Any of these techniques used to enrich Uranium for power plants could in theory be further used to produce 235U in pure enough quantities for nuclear weapons.

Yeah, they should actually censor about 70-80%, half is way to little. But yeah, i do agree that they don't exactly have good control of what they are censoring.

Not an easy task, even after 30 years. Do you honestly believe they aren't trying, or do you just like to make everything Iranian government officials do as terrible?

Well, in your point 3 you say enforce the law, so are you suggesting that there is something wrong with the law or that they arrest these people for fun while avoiding the law?

Like?

Do you know how many friggin minorities Iran has? It's like me demanding the government in Norway to have a free Farsi class in school. It's just plain silly.

It's not illegal to teach Azeri, Kurdish etc, it just has to be private.

This deserves its own thread, pointless to discuss it here.

1. Don't play silly games. If they allow IAEA inspectors unfettered access as do all responsible nuclear nations, then arguing over 18-25% is irrelevant. All they have to do is show that there is no attempts at weaponization - yet the IAEA report show just the opposite. But then you don't care about the economy and the well-being of Iranians, clearly.

2. Unworthy of a response. You may be happy to live in an Orwellian, fascist state - but I can tell you, nobody here is. Even Hezbollahi websites are complaining of the censorship. Not to mention supporters of Ahmadinejad, whose websites are routinely blocked.

3. Yes, their efforts are terrible. When the corruption is so blatant, so obvious, that everyone can see it right in front of their eyes (the banks, iran khodro, rafsanjani, etc) and no one is doing anything about it.... (apart of course from the prosecution of everyone in Ahmadinejad's circle)

4. Thought-crime is not in the law, not in the constitution. The constituion actually supports free elections, independent judiciary etc. No where on the law books does it say you can't have disagreements about electoral procedure, figh, etc.

5. Like teaching children in the Kurdish language (Farzad Kamangir and dozens of others).

6. Does not dignify a response.

7. Of course, how dare Iran actually take part in the international community, boost trade and diplomacy?! How absurd?!

8. Oh my god, are you serious? Do you know how difficult it is to get a tourist visa for Iran for the average person? Aside from the process being absolutely onerous (by far the most difficult I've ever been, and I've been to over 30. Only police states like Belarus and North Korea are comparable), it's costly and many are rejected. You're just talking out of plain ignorance here if you think it's easy. Tourist industry in Iran? It's a joke. I haven't seen a single Western tourist in Tehran in this whole two months. It's ridiculous.

Turkey makes over $20 billion a year from tourists, from over 25 million tourists

Iran grants less than 2 million tourist visas a year - mostly to Asian pilgrims. There are no official figures, but it's estimated the Iranian government reaps something like $1-1.5 billion from tourism.

A laughing stock.

Especially as UNESCO rates the country in the Top 10 of worthwhile tourist destinations in the entire world.

The last thing Iran needs is the same sort of trash who visit Turkey en masse and who corrupt the local population. Mass tourism is not economic development, it's prostitution.

I agree. But there can be a happy medium.

Turkey is full of trash, yes, because there is no control at all. All they care about is the US$20 stamp on the passport and that you spend your currency in their country.

But take a country like China or Japan. It is very systematic, and if you mess about, they have no tracked down immediately. The Sepah is more than capable of handling any trouble-makers.

Also, the kind of trash that go to Turkey are not likely to head to the Islamic Republic - knowing what kind of society it is.

1. Don't play silly games. If they allow IAEA inspectors unfettered access as do all responsible nuclear nations, then arguing over 18-25% is irrelevant. All they have to do is show that there is no attempts at weaponization - yet the IAEA report show just the opposite. But then you don't care about the economy and the well-being of Iranians, clearly.

2. Unworthy of a response. You may be happy to live in an Orwellian, fascist state - but I can tell you, nobody here is. Even Hezbollahi websites are complaining of the censorship. Not to mention supporters of Ahmadinejad, whose websites are routinely blocked.

3. Yes, their efforts are terrible. When the corruption is so blatant, so obvious, that everyone can see it right in front of their eyes (the banks, iran khodro, rafsanjani, etc) and no one is doing anything about it.... (apart of course from the prosecution of everyone in Ahmadinejad's circle)

4. Thought-crime is not in the law, not in the constitution. The constituion actually supports free elections, independent judiciary etc. No where on the law books does it say you can't have disagreements about electoral procedure, figh, etc.

5. Like teaching children in the Kurdish language (Farzad Kamangir and dozens of others).

7. Of course, how dare Iran actually take part in the international community, boost trade and diplomacy?! How absurd?!

8. Oh my god, are you serious? Do you know how difficult it is to get a tourist visa for Iran for the average person? Aside from the process being absolutely onerous (by far the most difficult I've ever been, and I've been to over 30. Only police states like Belarus and North Korea are comparable), it's costly and many are rejected. You're just talking out of plain ignorance here if you think it's easy. Tourist industry in Iran? It's a joke. I haven't seen a single Western tourist in Tehran in this whole two months. It's ridiculous.

Turkey makes over $20 billion a year from tourists, from over 25 million tourists

Iran grants less than 2 million tourist visas a year - mostly to Asian pilgrims. There are no official figures, but it's estimated the Iranian government reaps something like $1-1.5 billion from tourism.

A laughing stock.

Especially as UNESCO rates the country in the Top 10 of worthwhile tourist destinations in the entire world.

Turkey is full of trash, yes, because there is no control at all. All they care about is the US$20 stamp on the passport and that you spend your currency in their country.

But take a country like China or Japan. It is very systematic, and if you mess about, they have no tracked down immediately. The Sepah is more than capable of handling any trouble-makers.

Also, the kind of trash that go to Turkey are not likely to head to the Islamic Republic - knowing what kind of society it is.

I completely agree on you on alot of issues...Irans government isnt doing enough to help the situation. Being a little clever and diplomatic for a little bit could go a long way. Sometimes I feel they care more about palestine then Iran.

I happen to be some of that " trash" That visited Turkey. Its really not a giant brothel like you make it sound like, its a very beatiful Islamic country, with many mosques. the Turks managed to keep their country in order instead of screwing up like the rest of the middle east lol

other than that, 100% with you

I happen to be some of that " trash" That visited Turkey. Its not a giant [Edited Out]house like you make it sound like, its a very beatiful Islamic country, with many mosques. Just because the Turks managed to keep their country in order instead of screwing up like the rest of the middle east doesnt mean we have to be jealous of it.

just saying

1. Any country that has sought to encourage mass tourism has had to compromise on its own values. The customer knows best. So if the customer wants to sit half naked by the pool, drinking alcohol, then that's ok.

2. In fact it is worse than that. I have just stayed in a Malaysian resort where the pool rules were explicitly that if ladies wanted to wear modest clothing they were NOT allowed in the pool.

3. I have been to tourist sites in Iran, there are foreign tourists and they have to play by the rules of the IRI. The sad fact is that the number of people genuinely interested in culture and history is very limited. The rest are party-goers, drunken louts and pedophiles.

A laughing stock.

Ok, since we aren't going be adults and respond with purpose i'll give it a try, let's see how far we can get with a debate with you.

1. Doesn't deserve a response.

2. Riight, unworthy of a response but you answered me anyways. Make up your mind.

3. I actually agree with you on this point.

4. Unworthy of a response.

5. Point 5 was about executions for minor crimes, not kurdish language. You failed to give examples.

6. You are boring me now......zzZZzz

7. zzZZzzzzz

I think once again, after almost a 100 failed attempts of provoking, you failed again.

We are done here don't you think? But thank you for the reuters rapport, it was very insightful.

Predictable news, things will get worse. It's amazing how things are slowly unraveling.

Where are those people who claimed sanctions won't hurt Iran? :wacko:

Those who think Iran is fine are either delusional, don't live in Iran, or both.

man, that comment by itself makes you look like you're an agent getting paid to spread lies ..

are you talking about responsible nuclear nations like israel ?? or like the US that actually nukes other countries ?? come on why don't you answer this ?? why don't they have sanctions on them ?? so according to you one part of the world has one set of rules, and Iran has its own ??

man if you're in Iran for real, then you not being blocked personally for your nonsense is testament to the flexible restrictions ..

that same community that wants to topple the Islamic government ?? if the community wants to kill you .. and they don't do business with you, how do you do business with them?

how can you talk about tourist industry when your lovers in the west .. like the responsible nuclear nations according to you .. are planning a war against Iran, and putting sanctions on them .. ?? man, i had a bit of hope in yesterday .. now that hope is gone ..

I have a better solution:

1. Enrich uranium to 80% or whatever the percentage is needed for nuclear weapons. Build lots and lots of nuclear warheads. Thus the safety and security of 60 million Iranians is safe, and Iran doesn't need to depend on the tender mercies of America to survive.

2. Buy rice from the world markets. Lessen the subsidies on rice to ensure less is consumed and less is wasted. Thus obesity rates will decrease.

3. Using oil revenues, build lots of research centers. Re focus on machine tools and chemical industries, in order to be self reliant.

Liberty vs security

That's why the mullahs crackdown so bad , they have a pretext of insuring security.

Infact , Israeli and western threats are precisely why the Iranian govt has built a (communications) curtain and is able to get away with it.

The Iranians are a smart people and had there been no threats against Iran, their govt wouldn't sustain in the same form it is now.

Which is ironic from a western POV because an attack on Iran would only cement support for the govt , meaning policy of containment/aggression isn't working.

Liberty vs security

That's why the mullahs crackdown so bad , they have a pretext of insuring security.

Infact , Israeli and western threats are precisely why the Iranian govt has built a (communications) curtain and is able to get away with it.

The Iranians are a smart people and had there been no threats against Iran, their govt wouldn't sustain in the same form it is now.

Which is ironic from a western POV because an attack on Iran would only cement support for the govt , meaning policy of containment/aggression isn't working.

That's a theory, yes, but we can never know.

The censorship crackdown is in fact just due to 2 issues. It started with the Green Movement protests, and that is the main factor. The second factor is the Ahmadinejad schism.

Liberty vs security

The 'mullahs' are in power, because 95% of the population voted for an Islamic State when they had a referendum after the Revolution. The 'liberty vs security' comparison is more applicable in countries like US, which exaggerates the 'terror threat' and than gets away with taking peoples liberty more and more, under the guise of national security.

Edited by shiasoldier786

Liberty vs security

This theory is only applicable to the urbanites who often hate conservative leaders since their culture is a mixture of Western and Islamic.

But since we're talking about the majority/bulk of Iranians, these 60-70% of Iranians are Muslim rural people who could careless about none-Islamic things. Their life, belief, values, culture, religion, everything you can imagine, revolves around Islam like the earth revolves around the sun.

So for these guys, supporting the IRI for security reasons isn't applicable. They support IRI because of the common grounds they share.

Edited by ShiaBen

A 65% turnout in recent parliamentary elections would show that people still have confidence in the Islamic system. So its kind of pointless. Haters like you will probably never be satisfied.

1. participation in elections is not a referendum

2. no serious person actually believes those turn-out statistics. if you do actually believe them, then what have you got to fear from another referendum?

You want a country to have a referendum every 30 years?

Countries have regularly referendums on a variety of important issues.

Referenda are generally conducted in special circumstances - for example Australia had a referendum on whether to become a republic in 1999, and will have another one in the next few years.

Because things have changed.

In Iran, those who are opposed to the Islamic Republic have no political voice, by definition. So we don't know if they are 10%, 20%, 50%, or the majority of the population who do not participate in the political system of the country (elections, etc) -- which could be as high as 70%.

And unless Iran has a referendum, they'll never know. And continue to hark back to 1979 and all the crazy things that were happening in that time, as some sort of eternal legitimacy.

That's just absurd.

Countries have regularly referendums on a variety of important issues.

Referenda are generally conducted in special circumstances - for example Australia had a referendum on whether to become a republic in 1999, and will have another one in the next few years.

Because things have changed.

In Iran, those who are opposed to the Islamic Republic have no political voice, by definition. So we don't know if they are 10%, 20%, 50%, or the majority of the population who do not participate in the political system of the country (elections, etc) -- which could be as high as 70%.

And unless Iran has a referendum, they'll never know. And continue to hark back to 1979 and all the crazy things that were happening in that time, as some sort of eternal legitimacy.

That's just absurd.

Problem is, regardless of referendum or not, certain people will still call it a cheat and fraud, just like they did the elections. So what is the point?

We all saw the mass amount of people showing their support in 22 bahman, as we do every year, but who is to count right?

Problem is, regardless of referendum or not, certain people will still call it a cheat and fraud, just like they did the elections. So what is the point?

We all saw the mass amount of people showing their support in 22 bahman, as we do every year, but who is to count right?

That's easy. Allow international UN observers - like pretty much every country on earth does.

Look at Iraq. An incredibly difficult situation with many complications - but because of the hundreds of observers, free and fair elections were held.

<p>

That&#39;s easy. Allow international UN observers - like pretty much every country on earth does.
</p>

Do you have any evidence for that?

The closest I get is:

During the 1990s, the United Nations organized or observed landmark elections and popular consultations in Timor-Leste, South Africa, Mozambique, El Salvador and Cambodia. More recently, the Organization has provided crucial technical and logistical assistance in milestone elections in many countries, including in Afghanistan, Burundi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq, Nepal, Sierra Leone and Sudan.

http://www.un.org/wcm/content/site/undpa/main/issues/elections

Not sure that club is one many countries would like to be members of.

Edited by Haji 2003

Do you have any evidence for that?

The closest I get is:

http://www.un.org/wc...ssues/elections

Not sure that club is one many countries would like to be members of.

Yes, exactly, Iran is even lower than those countries on the trust scale.

The OCSE and EU have observers throughout all the European countries....

what I should have said is: "pretty much every country on earth would allow, if asked"

But observers are hardly needed in countries where fraud is never suspected - like Australia or New Zealand or Japan.

Edited by Aarash_Australia

That's easy. Allow international UN observers - like pretty much every country on earth does.

Look at Iraq. An incredibly difficult situation with many complications - but because of the hundreds of observers, free and fair elections were held.

But that again comes down to opinion. Many people tend to think UN is corrupt and untrustworthy.

But that again comes down to opinion. Many people tend to think UN is corrupt and untrustworthy.

of course..... it would surely be impossible to employ dispassionate objective election observers....

it's never been done before, no election can ever be trusted, so we may as well leave it to the Guardian Council - an interested party - as anyone else!

Yes, exactly, Iran is even lower than those countries on the trust scale.

The OCSE and EU have observers throughout all the European countries....

what I should have said is: "pretty much every country on earth would allow, if asked"

But observers are hardly needed in countries where fraud is never suspected - like Australia or New Zealand or Japan.

The OSCE's interest seems to be a superficial one into whether or not ballot boxes are stuffed.

According to the final assessment report: "The 6 May 2010 general election was administered in a transparent and professional manner and demonstrated an open, pluralistic and highly competitive process. Contestants enjoyed equitable campaign conditions."

http://www.osce.org/odihr/elections/uk/general_2010

That's not much good in countries where the mechanisms for bypassing democracy are more sophisticated than that. There has been long-standing concern into party funding in the UK.

​The Conservatives, meanwhile, need to show that they are not beholden to big money.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/15/party-funding-conservative-court

Anyway if you go back into this board's threads you'll see international academic analyses of the last Iranian Presedential election results, which claim that the re-election of Ahmedinejad may have had irregularities in the margins, but in the main given voter preferences, it was the correct outcome.