Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
abbas110

Imam Ali And Wife Umama

Rate this topic

Historians have recorded Umama binte Abul-Aas b Al-Rabi as a wife of Imam Ali. Umama of course being daughter of Zaynab binte Rasool Allah. If we take Zaynab to be biological daughter of Rasool Allah then does it not mean that Imam Ali married his granddaughter. Is this allowed as per Shariah?

If we take Zaynab to be adopted daughter of Rasool Allah then there is no more mystery for me of course.

Edited by abbas110

Who was Zaynab married to?

The reason I am asking is because my search return Umamah bint Zaynab. And I think the Umamah that was married to Imam Ali (as) was fatima's cousin.

I could be wrong.

Edited by Gypsy

But even if she was really the Prophet's (saww) granddaughter, then why wouldn't Imam Ali (as) be allowed to marry her? :donno:

That is what I want to know too!

Who was Zaynab married to?

The reason I am asking is because my search return Umamah bint Zaynab. And I think the Umamah that was married to Imam Ali (as) was fatima's cousin.

I could be wrong.

At least one source I know, authored by Ibne Hajar Isqilani, states Umamah was the daughter of Zaynab (the daughter of Rasool Allah)

Edited by abbas110

How would a granddaughter of the Prophet (pbuh) be Imam `Ali's (as) granddaughter...? Why would marrying her be a problem when marrying the daughter of the Prophet (pbuh) was not?

Unless you meant she was the Prophet's (pbuh) granddaughter. But even still, there wouldn't be an issue marrying her. Perhaps you're confusing it with the prohibition of marrying two sisters both at the same time?

^I am not very good at understanding relations so was therefore confused in regards to the hukum in this matter. Indeed there is no problem if Imam married her. By the way Bro MacIsaac, are you of the opinion that Rasool Allah had 4 biological daughters?

Edited by abbas110

^I am not very good at understanding relations so was therefore confused in regards to the hukum in this matter. Indeed there is no problem if Imam married her. By the way Bro MacIsaac, are you of the opinion that Rasool Allah has 4 biological daughters?

Yes.

Historians have recorded Umama binte Abul-Aas b Al-Rabi as a wife of Imam Ali. Umama of course being daughter of Zaynab binte Rasool Allah. If we take Zaynab to be biological daughter of Rasool Allah then does it not mean that Imam Ali married his granddaughter. Is this allowed as per Shariah?

If we take Zaynab to be adopted daughter of Rasool Allah then there is no more mystery for me of course.

who was the father of Umama???

I was always under the impression that only Fatima (SA) had offspring and not the other daughters of the Prophet (pbuh) .

How many grand children did he (pbuh) have from other then Fatima (SA) ??? I guess Umama is one of them.

La fata illa Ali

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) had 4 daughters(like many sunni and shia believe):

1.Hazrat Zainab(RA) married Abul A'as Bin Rabi (ra) who was from Banu Ummayya and was nephew of Hazrat Khadija (as) (son of Hala binte Khuwailad.). they had one son Ali and one daughter Umama(RA). ALi died in younger age and Umama was married to Hazrat ALi (as) and she had a son Mohammad Awsat (ra) . Hazrat Zainab (ra) died in 8 A.H

2.Hazrat Ruqayya(RA), she was married to Usman Bin Affan, and they had one son Abdullah (ra) who died as a child. Hazrat Ruqayya died in 2 A.H

3. Hazrat Ume Kulsum (ra) was married to Usman Bin Affan after the death of Bibi Ruqayya. She had no child and died in 9 A.H

4. Bibi Fatima (as)

SO prophet Muhammad (pbuh) had 5 grandsons and 3 grand-daughters in total.

How is it okay to marry Umama..doesnt it make Imam ali(a.s) her uncle ?

Husband of her aunt Fatima(a.s)?

As for those who think prophet (p.b.u.h) had four daughter y did he treat his children so differently?

Y only fatima's(a.s) children called syed? Y no account of his other daughters childhood..

Y mysteriously all three of those have no children except umama,they died in infancy and for one daughter it is said she had no children.

I find it v.strange!

Not like that..its like they were nearly non-existent.

No accounts of them or children from them?

Theres a huge diff Yousuf brothers were evil,ill-treated Yousuf..

I dont know how u made that connection!

All the respect for one daughter..no talk of others!

Another ques if Zainab who is claimed to be the eldest of daughters of Prophet were already born..y is surah Kausar related to bibi Fatima(a.s)..which is said to have been in ans to kuffar to used to call Prophet(P.B.U.H) who used to call him Abtar..

Y call that if he already had a child ??

Not like that..its like they were nearly non-existent.

No accounts of them or children from them?

Theres a huge diff Yousuf brothers were evil,ill-treated Yousuf..

I dont know how u made that connection!

All the respect for one daughter..no talk of others!

Yaqub (as) showed preference for Yusuf (as) before his brothers did anything to him, and they were forgiven in the end, so I don't think it is appropriate to call them 'evil'. There are other examples of such preference as well. For example, the Imams (as) would favour the following Imam (or some of their other children) over others.

Regarding the other daughters of the Prophet (pbuh), there are reports about them. It's just that Shias don't talk about them. You can read more this whole issue, including the evidence for their being four daughters, in this thread: http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234983509-how-many-daughters-did-the-prophet-have/