Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Syrian Rebel Fighters To Get Salaries

Rate this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17578248

Opposition says Syrian rebel fighters to get salaries

Rebels fighting the government of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria will be paid salaries, the opposition Syrian National Council has announced.

Money will also be given to soldiers who defect from the government's army, the SNC added, after a "Friends of the Syrian people" summit in Turkey.

Conference delegates said wealthy Gulf Arab states would supply millions of dollars a month for the SNC fund.

The meeting recognised the SNC as the "legitimate representative" of Syrians.

Damascus dubbed the gathering of some 70 Western and Arab foreign ministers in Istanbul as the "enemies of Syria", and key players remained absent, including Russia, China and Iran.

At a news conference, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu warned Syria that Kofi Annan's six-point peace plan - which Damascus has agreed to in principle - was "not open-ended".

His comments were echoed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton who said there was "no more time for excuses and delays" by the Assad government. "This is a moment of truth," she said.

Compromise

"The SNC will take charge of the payment of fixed salaries of all officers, soldiers, and others who are members of the Free Syrian Army," SNC President Burhan Ghalioun told the conference.

The BBC's Jonathan Head, in Istanbul, says the decision to pay rebel fighters is a significant step by the SNC in recognising the central role the armed insurgency is now playing in their campaign to oust President Assad.

An SNC leader told the BBC that she hoped more substantial funding would help bind the disparate units of the Free Syrian Army into a more coherent fighting force, and encourage other soldiers to defect from the government side.

Some countries at the conference - notably Saudi Arabia - have been openly calling for insurgents in Syria to be given weapons. But others - including the US and Turkey - oppose the move, fearing it could fuel an all-out civil war.

The decision to increase non-lethal aid to the rebels by paying salaries to the fighters is a compromise, our correspondent says.

Not all opposition groups will be happy at the summit's decision to channel the funds through the SNC - as well as recognising it as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people, he adds.

There are many activists who believe the SNC's leadership has been too ineffective, and should be replaced, he points out.

The united front displayed by the gathering was undermined by the pointed absence of Russia and China, which have repeatedly balked at any international resolutions that would require President Assad to stand down.

Iraq attended, having earlier suggested it might not. However, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki made it clear beforehand that he opposed arming the opposition and believed the Syrian government would survive.

The Syrian government says it is close to ending the uprising.

Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad al-Makdissi told Syrian TV "the battle to topple the state is over".

Violence continued on Sunday, with more than 10 people reported killed, a day after more than 60 people died across the country.

In the latest violence, activists reported attacks by security forces in areas near the Iraqi border to the east, and the Jordanian frontier to the south.

The UN believes at least 9,000 people have died in the year-long revolt against Mr Assad's rule.

Money will also be given to soldiers who defect from the government's army, the SNC added, after a "Friends of the Syrian people" summit in Turkey.

Getting paid to defect from the army? lol, thats a bit desperate now. Never heard of that happening in genuine revolutions before. Pretty much sums up whats happening now, which is that the fake revolution is over.

I'd be interested to know how they plan on delivering the payments. Somehow I doubt they will be able to just make a deposit in the name of the SNC in local banks and use it for payroll expenses. Trying to smuggling in cash payments and deliver them by hand would be hard, to put it mildly.

When US invaded Iraq and just after the fall of Saddam, the US treasury sent more than USD 10 billions cash to Iraq by plane loads. The purpose was to bribe the Iraqi people and leaders so that they do not rise up or fight against the US forces.

Money will be used to make the faithless people to fight and not to fight.

Now, the syrian rebel will be bribe to fight for the Arabs and US.

Get salary and spend it in exile in Jordan, Turkey, Qatar and Israel.. The entire West, Turkey and Saudi monafiq clearly know that they lost very badly in Syria and they miscalculated everything on Syria. Now, they are not talking about 'arming' them anymore...especially this little satan Clinton did not speak of 'arms' anymore but just some aids... Ya, now that you lost and there is no single fighter actively fight to get arms.

Syria should continue strongly to cleanup the country, province to cities and every street from these gangs. Terrorists have no right to take charge and topple a government on behalf of Zionist Mafia.

Edited by Noah-

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu warned Syria that Kofi Annan's six-point peace plan - which Damascus has agreed to in principle - was "not open-ended".

That stupid Oglu can talk as much as he likes. How I wish Turkey make the mistake of entering Syria. They will be humiliated. They only know how to kill innocent farmers in Kurdistan, Gog-Magog scumbags. Not surprised Turkey and the west are together in this. Turkey Gog-Magog, west Dajjal, and the Arab countries that are with them are Qarn Al-Shaytan. The three evils together. Three stooge ideologies. But inshallah when Allah says enough and the time for Muhammad the Second arrives, these countries will bow down in fear of getting destroyed. And hopefully when he does come, I don't want him to forgive. I want him to destroy all those nations.

I don't like Bashar Al-Assad. But I know that these revolutions are simply replacing puppets for puppets. It's the western plan to bring about a fake "Islamic"-shaped new middle east, one which would give Israel the preemptive measure to strike its neighbors by claiming "self-defense", and thereby accomplishing their expansionist agendas. Just watch if (or should I say "when") Syria and Egypt turn Salafist and begin to pose their fake threats on Israel. Golden opportunity for the Israelis to attack their neighbors, gain land, make neutral zones and those countries will humiliate Islam even more. Right now they're banking on Assad to fall. But perhaps God is with Syria. He will not let it fall like Egypt has fallen or Libya has fallen.

Then someone should recognize as well a "legitimate representative" of the citizens of the Eastern Province currently pre-freedom within the territories occupied by the nazis of the Family Royal Sa'ud, so-called Saudi Arabia.

That stupid Oglu can talk as much as he likes. How I wish Turkey make the mistake of entering Syria. They will be humiliated. They only know how to kill innocent farmers in Kurdistan, Gog-Magog scumbags. Not surprised Turkey and the west are together in this. Turkey Gog-Magog, west Dajjal, and the Arab countries that are with them are Qarn Al-Shaytan. The three evils together. Three stooge ideologies. But inshallah when Allah says enough and the time for Muhammad the Second arrives, these countries will bow down in fear of getting destroyed. And hopefully when he does come, I don't want him to forgive. I want him to destroy all those nations.

I don't like Bashar Al-Assad. But I know that these revolutions are simply replacing puppets for puppets. It's the western plan to bring about a fake "Islamic"-shaped new middle east, one which would give Israel the preemptive measure to strike its neighbors by claiming "self-defense", and thereby accomplishing their expansionist agendas. Just watch if (or should I say "when") Syria and Egypt turn Salafist and begin to pose their fake threats on Israel. Golden opportunity for the Israelis to attack their neighbors, gain land, make neutral zones and those countries will humiliate Islam even more. Right now they're banking on Assad to fall. But perhaps God is with Syria. He will not let it fall like Egypt has fallen or Libya has fallen.

Interesting. do you think the new Islamist regimes in Egypt and maybe Syria, will threaten and assume a hard line towards Israel ?

If that was the case, then why didn't an Islamist uprising take place in Jordan ? That would have been ideal for Israel, no ? Jordan also has a majority Palestinian population top add the icing on the cake.