Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Christianlady

Why Most Christian Ladies Do Not Wear Hijab

Rate this topic

In reply concerning The Noble Ladies of the Jewish or Israeli people wearing a veil to cover their face it should be noted that in Genesis chapter 38 and verses 14-19 the daughter-in-law of Judah son of Abrahams son Isaac in verse 14 kjv"She put her widows garments off from her, and covered her with a veil, and wrapped herself, and set is open place which is by the way to Timnath. ..." In verse 15, "When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she had covered her face. " In verse 19, it says, "And she arose, and went away, and laid by her veil from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood." But in chapter 29 Jacob did not realize that Leah had been given him in marriage and not Rachel until the morning came (verse25). So obviously the veil or something was used to cover Leah's face at her wedding to make her unknown until the morning. So it seems that virgins being married wore veils to cover their face but a woman who wore a veil and sat in an open place was a harlot or prostitute. And that widows and in the case of Sara in chapter 12 of Genesis as aforementioned in a previous post a married woman did not cover her face. A veil covering the head but not the face.

In the pentecostal holiness movement the women do not wear either because of the aforementioned 1 Corinthians 11 where the Apostle Paul cites nature when he says in verses14-15 KJV" Doth not even nature itself teach you, that,if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?But if a women have long hair it is a glory to her:for her hair is given to her for a covering." The women wear long hair and the men have short hair so we feel we are in accordance with God's Word. Also this theory of the meaning of this scripture is in accordance with the Jewish custom of men having short hair but wearing a prayer cap. Tbey are not dishonouring their head if they wear a hat because their hair is short. I don't remember seeing a Rabbi with long hair. Another thing was mentioned about the Nazarite vow. While under a Nazarite vow, an Israelite did not cut his hair but at the end of his time promised he had to shave not just cut but shave his head and offer the hair in a sacrifice. He could not keep the long hair afterwards. This is why Samson in the book of Judges lost his strength after Delilah cut his hair. He was to be a Nazarite from birth till death. In other words he was to be dedicated to God from birth to death for a Nazarite was making a vow of dedication when he went under the vow. The Apostle Paul did this in the New Testament. Delilah cut Samsons hair and God took his strength because he had broken his vow to God by telling her that if she cut his hair he would lose his strength when he knew she wanted him to lose his strength (see previous verses). So he in essence willingly broke his vow.

Some people confuse the verse in Matthew chapter 2 verse 23 to mean that Jesus was under a Nazarite vow and therefore would have had long hair. But Jesus was a Nazarene because he dwealt in Nazareth just like the Samaritan woman was from Samaria and the Canaanite woman was from Canaan.

It seems reasonable to think that if the soldiers plucked his beard at the crucifixion then they certainly would have ripped his hair out if he had long hair. But none of the gospel accounts of the crucifixion note that. Though it would have been just as horrendous an experience and just as well noted when his disciples saw him afterward.

Also in answer to the question of why "supposedly christian" women dress immodestly. I believe a lot of the problem is due to the femminist movement. Women who were not christians in heart did not want to be in subjection to there husbands authority any longer so they wanted a way to show their supposed freedom. Unfortunately many of the women today have been taught this abhorrence of authority and find it hard to subject themselves to God or man. If a woman wears a garment that draws attention to her body in a way that causes lustful thoughts in another petson whether. that woman is Muslim or Christian then she is defrauding that man if he is not her husband because she isn't supposed to have lustful relations with anyone but her husband. Solomon said be ravished with the wife of thy youth and not in another. So Placids preference of man or woman being covered from the knees to the neck to the elbows is a good one to me. Though i prefer to cover down past the knees and most all the time past the elbows. :-) But not everyone has reached the level of sanctification that compels them to dress to that level of modesty unfortunately . So in most cases if not all I would say that a women whose neckline shows much more than her neck then at some point she is liable to be showing something that will cause lust and she is responsible even if she doesn't want to be. If a watchman would and will be held accountable in judgement for not warning the one in danger of sinning or in the middle of sin then surely a person who causes another to sin by their action OR dress will be held accountable if they do not confess and repent.

Simple, the feminist movement. I always see Christian women in very short skirts, chests popping out, etc. Is this what Jesus as taught? The hijab is more than a head covering, it is the way you carry yourself. It is how you cloak not only your entire body but also the way you act. Christian women in the 1800s wore modest clothes. Their arms weren't showing. Their legs were showing. Now women show everything. I am 100% sure that Christian women at the time of Jesus dressed very similar or maybe even exact to how Muslim women dress.

also refer to my sig=]

I think it has more to do with what is fashionable, not feminism.  Once something becomes in fashion, it is socially acceptable to wear.  

Read this if you are interested: http://glamourdaze.com/history-of-womens-fashion

I was a Seventh-Day Adventist before I came to Islam. Basically for every Christian denomination there are the "conservative's" and the "liberals". My family was conservative, but maybe another family was liberal. Also bear in mind, just like in any other religion there are those who just label themselves but do not truly follow what they supposedly believe.

For some reasons Muslims on this forum have a problem understanding people that there are people who are only nominally a part of a religion, except when it comes to nominal Muslims...

So in most cases if not all I would say that a women whose neckline shows much more than her neck then at some point she is liable to be showing something that will cause lust and she is responsible even if she doesn't want to be. 

My Internet news agency speaks very proudly of women 'baring their all', to paraphrase their words.  Also, it seems that in this day and age, no one wants to assume the role of an admonisher, as people used to perhaps even a hundred years ago. In fact, anyone speaking against the trend is seen as an enemy of the 'choice' movement. Those 'baring their all' are therefore greatly encouraged by all the publicity which in turn feeds into greater acceptance by society of all their stupid actions.

And it becomes more and more and more acceptable  - for ever more. 

Edited by PeaceLoving

Certainly we are not in a position to pass judgement on others. Everyone have to follow their own set of beliefs ,as long as it

does not infringe on the rights of others.

As Jesus says in Luke :6 -41 " Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brothers eye and pay no attention to the

plank in your own eye ?"

Interesting to hear that from a Muslim. Normally I hear that if someone is obviously doing wrong you can pass judgement and have a right to intercede.

As noted, Christians don't have that specific right. Of course we have our own subtle ways of suggesting ;)

My Internet news agency speaks very proudly of women 'baring their all', to paraphrase their words.  Also, it seems that in this day and age, no one wants to assume the role of an admonisher, as people used to perhaps even a hundred years ago. In fact, anyone speaking against the trend is seen as an enemy of the 'choice' movement. Those 'baring their all' are therefore greatly encouraged by all the publicity which in turn feeds into greater acceptance by society of all their stupid actions.

And it becomes more and more and more acceptable  - for ever more. 

Oh man...Since the 70's you haven't been allowed to speak out on your own and oppose what satan has endorsed.

Since the 70's you haven't been allowed to speak out on your own and oppose what Satan has endorsed.

I might inform you that I do keep doing my bit - at least some anyway - occasionally in my letters to various periodicals etc. 

My letters on this topic have never been published though some others have been.

Even if they were, your words will have effect depending on who you are - not what you say.

If the President or Prime Minister of a country says the same thing, the effect will be far greater.

Nobody is going to listen to another nobody.

Normally I hear that if someone is obviously doing wrong you can pass judgement and have a right to intercede.

Please don't rely on hearsay. 

Imam Ali, the second, eldest son of Imam Hussain, more famously known as Imam Zainul Abedin, says as follows:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Do not speak evil of others.

If someone is older than you,  he has quite possibly amassed more credit (good deeds) than you have.

If he is younger than you,  he could just as well have less evil in his account.

And if he is about your age, while you do know your own bad deeds, you are not aware of his.' 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imam Zainul Abedin was the only surviving male member of the massacre of the Prophet's family at Karbala in 61 AH. 

Along with the ladies and children, he was shackled and taken prisoner first to Kufa and then to the caliph in Damascus, where the entire group was in incarceration for some time. 

Islam forbids judgment but that does not undo the execution of a penal code.

if you commit a forbidden act and are unlucky enough to be caught, the long arm of the law could set in.

Squealing is also forbidden. If I know of someone's weaknesses, I am not expected to bring it to light, unless it is causing harm or injustice to someone. This is what the Quran has to say in the matter.

[49:11] Believers, let not men laugh (other) men to scorn who haply may be better than themselves. Neither let women laugh (other) women to scorn who may haply be better than themselves! Neither defame one another, nor call one another by nicknames  (offensive names). Bad is it to be called wicked after having professed the faith: and whoso repent not of this are doers of wrong.

[49:12] Believers, avoid frequent suspicions, for some suspicions are sin, and do not pry. Neither let the one of you traduce another in his absence. Would any one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Surely you would loathe it. And fear God, for God is ready to turn, Merciful.

Edited by PeaceLoving

I think the reason most Christian ladies do not wear headcoverings is that it just got lost over time. The more you read and study however you begin to realize that maybe we indeed should be. More Christians are starting to consider headcoverings for worship. Particularly young Christian women are wearing Chapel Veils covering their head during mass. During an event for World Hijab Day this past February I mustered up all my courage and tried a hijab for the day! Wearing a headcovering is an enlightening experience, and perhaps will be seen more in the future.

i just want to know 1 thing

maraym (mary) mother of nabi isa (jesus) http://www.shiachat.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/as.gif wore a hijab then why dont christians follow that?

also nabi isa http://www.shiachat.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/as.gif had a beard - why dont christians grow beards?

salams

Why don't you go around wearing white robes and sandals like your Prophet?

Flawed Logic.

And Christianlady, St Paul's teaching or any other Apostle's teaching IS Jesus' teaching!

Edited by shreek

The Scripture requires modesty and does not specifically require head covering at all times. 

1 Timothy 2:9

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1 Peter 3:3-4(KJV)

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

It has, however, been a tradition among branches of Christianity in the past and some women still do. It actually remains an issue of discussion and a practice often determined by region.

Edited by iere

You have presented a good question, Why don't most Christian ladies wear hijab?

Not all Muslim ladies wear headcovering. Not all Jewish ladies wear headcovering. Not all Christian ladies wear headcoviner... but some do from each faith.

Why do they? Why don't they?

Part of the answer is custom. Think of the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". What do you see others doing when you walk into a Mosque, Synagogue, or church?

For me personally, why I never wore a hijab was because no one else did that I knew. My mother never suggested it to me. Since it was never presented as an option, I never tried.

This past February I did actually try wearing a hijab for the first time, and was able to make judgements and form opinions firsthand. And this may surprise you, but I enjoyed wearing it!

On 7/2/2015 at 1:50 PM, iowa_farmgirl_20 said:

I think the reason most Christian ladies do not wear headcoverings is that it just got lost over time. The more you read and study however you begin to realize that maybe we indeed should be. More Christians are starting to consider headcoverings for worship. Particularly young Christian women are wearing Chapel Veils covering their head during mass. During an event for World Hijab Day this past February I mustered up all my courage and tried a hijab for the day! Wearing a headcovering is an enlightening experience, and perhaps will be seen more in the future.

I think you are correct.

Veil was very norman in Sweden only 100 years ago. A practical protection of the hair against dirt, lies and insects. Not really nessesary today but still in use as part of folk costumes on special occasions. Who knows, it may become fashionable as we are seeing some beautiful muslim girls wearing it.