Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Seafood And Kafir Carcasse

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

In The Name of Allah

Here I'll show u some Ayatullah Sanei's opinions that many people don't know it about food :

He says that it is permissible to eat the carcass of Kafir (People of the Book and Hindu etc ...) if it was slaughtered according to the legitimate slaughtering (mentioning God’s name on it and other conditions) .

Note : The deference between him and Sayyid Fadlullah's opinion that fadlullah says that it's impermissible to eat Kafir's (not Kitabi) carcass (Ehtiyat Wojobi) .

Source 1 : http://saanei.org/?view=03,05,13,52,0 (in Arabic) .

Source 2 :

http://english.bayyn.../qa.aspx?id=104 (In English) .

◉ He says that it is permissible to eat all kinds of sea animals, except the scaleless fishes (fishes that have no scales) and the animals that it's name is same as a land animal .

e.g. :

☞ It's permissible to eat Salmon (fish has scales) .

☞ It's permissible to eat Oyster (sea animal that it's name isn't same as a land animal) .

It's impermissible to eat Catfish (scaleless fish) .

It's impermissible to eat Seahorse (animals that it's name is same as land animal) .

Note : The deference between him and Sayyid Fadlullah's opinion that fadlullah says it is permissible to eat all kinds of sea animals without any exceptions .

Source 2 :

http://english.bayyn.../qa.aspx?id=103 (In English) .

Note : It's impermissible to eat harmful animals .

e.g. if Catfish is harmfull it's impermissible to eat it even for Sayyid Fadlullah Followes .

Edited by alisadeq

i was about to post this ques

i dun wanna knw abut sea food i just wanna know is it haram according to ayatullah sistani sahab to have a food from kafirs

i am at ma new job and lots of kafirs are here so i am nnot able to get the lunch and many other probs i am facing

so whats the ruling of sistani??

• Advanced Member

I don't understand how that ruling works? It is haram becuase it has rhe same name as an animal on land...? They would be different in English and Arabc wouldn't they? So how does that ruling work?

I corrected the information in the post before your .

Edited by alisadeq
  • Advanced Member

i was about to post this ques

i dun wanna knw abut sea food i just wanna know is it haram according to ayatullah sistani sahab to have a food from kafirs

i am at ma new job and lots of kafirs are here so i am nnot able to get the lunch and many other probs i am facing

so whats the ruling of sistani??

According to Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Sistani :

1- it's permissible to eat fishes that have scales only from all sea anImals .

2- It's impermissible (Haram) to eat carcass of Kafir .

• Advanced Member

Note : The deference between him and Sayyid Fadlullah's opinion that fadlullah says it is permissible to eat all kinds of sea animals without any exceptions .

I doubt fadullah allows the eating of all kinds of sea animals, sea animals also include air breathimg mamals such as whale,seal and turtle, to me that wouldn't make sense, can anyone please clarify or elaborate on the edict.

Edited by south-lebanon
  • Advanced Member

I doubt fadullah allows the eating of all kinds of sea animals, sea animals also include air breathimg mamals such as whale,seal and turtle, to me that wouldn't make sense, can anyone please clarify or elaborate on the edict.

I said that in the opinion of Sayyid Fadlullah :

"it is permissible to eat all kinds of sea animals without any exceptions ."

that's mean All sea animals Are HALAL (permissible) .

also I said :

"It's impermissible to eat harmful animals ."

• Advanced Member

Salaam all,

Just if you would like an actual detailed analysis of Syed Fadlallah's derivation of the law about seafood in English, please refer to: http://miqdaad.blogs...seafood-1.html. If you would like the source in Arabic, please refer to http://arabic.bayynat.org.lb/books/.

If you would like a more detailed and academic analysis of the ruling, comparing the methodology used with other scholars, please refer to JOURNAL OF SHI‘A ISLAMIC STUDIES: Autumn 2010, Volume III, Issue 4 ISSN: 1748-9423 Fadlallah: A Mainstream Radical [443-464] by Miqdaad Versi.

In essence, for those interested in the facts, the issue can be (very crudely) summarised as follows:

- there is a base position that it is allowed (based on the standard asl and Quranic verses)

- there are narrations that seem to suggest that fish without scales (and other seafood) is not allowed (Group A), and some saying it is allowed (Group B)

- Syed Fadlallah's analysis of how to deal with this apparent contradiction is using jam' urfi i.e. trying to harmonise the narrations by considering most of Group A to apparently implying haram but potentially meaning makruh (given "don't" in usul al-fiqh is not clear in meaning haram - it does sometimes mean Makruh); he considers Group B to be clear (nass) in implying they are halal. Other scholars resolve this apparent contradiction by attributing Group B to taqiyya, which Syed Fadlallah does not consider relevant here.

- Syed Fadlallah then believes that if this jam' urfi is not reasonable, then the narrations must be cast aside, and the base position must be used.

- Therefore, he concludes they are makruh

Hope that is helpful.

• Advanced Member

Salaam all,

Just if you would like an actual detailed analysis of Syed Fadlallah's derivation of the law about seafood in English, please refer to: http://miqdaad.blogs...seafood-1.html. If you would like the source in Arabic, please refer to http://arabic.bayynat.org.lb/books/.

If you would like a more detailed and academic analysis of the ruling, comparing the methodology used with other scholars, please refer to JOURNAL OF SHI‘A ISLAMIC STUDIES: Autumn 2010, Volume III, Issue 4 ISSN: 1748-9423 Fadlallah: A Mainstream Radical [443-464] by Miqdaad Versi.

In essence, for those interested in the facts, the issue can be (very crudely) summarised as follows:

- there is a base position that it is allowed (based on the standard asl and Quranic verses)

- there are narrations that seem to suggest that fish without scales (and other seafood) is not allowed (Group A), and some saying it is allowed (Group B)

- Syed Fadlallah's analysis of how to deal with this apparent contradiction is using jam' urfi i.e. trying to harmonise the narrations by considering most of Group A to apparently implying haram but potentially meaning makruh (given "don't" in usul al-fiqh is not clear in meaning haram - it does sometimes mean Makruh); he considers Group B to be clear (nass) in implying they are halal. Other scholars resolve this apparent contradiction by attributing Group B to taqiyya, which Syed Fadlallah does not consider relevant here.

- Syed Fadlallah then believes that if this jam' urfi is not reasonable, then the narrations must be cast aside, and the base position must be used.

- Therefore, he concludes they are makruh

Hope that is helpful.

thank you, i would like to see the detailed analysis of the law in english but there seems to be a problem with the link

A top clerical body in the holy city of Qom declares that Grand Ayatollah Yousef Sane'i no longer qualifies to be a marja al-taqlid, or a source of emulation — the highest clerical rank in Shia Islam.

The Qom Theological Lecturers Association, Jame-e-Modarressin said on Saturday that it had launched a yearlong investigation into the qualifications of Grand Ayatollah Sanei in response to repetitive inquiries on the issue, Fars news agency reported.

In a statement bearing the signature of Ayatollah Mohammad Yazdi, the former head of Iran's judiciary, the body announced that the result of the investigation indicate that Grand Ayatollah Sanei is not eligible to be a marja.

Grand Ayatollah Sane'i, 72, has come under fire for his anti-government stance. He has also been criticized by millions of Iranians who took part in the demonstration on Wednesday, denouncing the sacrilege of Ashura by anti-government rioters.

• Advanced Member

Al-Mufeed

Anyone knows that "Ijtihad" is a "faculty" attendant the person who got it . And that means It's impossible to say "He is Mujtahid in the past" !!!!

So, the "top clerical body in the holy city of Qom" doesn't mean Ayatullah Sane'i not "Mujtahid", they said he's not Marja and u know the differences between them .

Look, they said "no longer" which mean before there statement he was Marja (and of course Mujtahid) .

مع محبتي و دعائي

Edited by alisadeq
  • Advanced Member

In The Name of Allah

Here I'll show u some Ayatullah Sanei's opinions that many people don't know it about food :

He says that it is permissible to eat the carcass of Kafir (People of the Book and Hindu etc ...) if it was slaughtered according to the legitimate slaughtering (mentioning God’s name on it and other conditions) .

(salam) (bismillah)

Are you referring to cannibalism when you say this? I don't quite understand this ruling.