Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ya_zeinab

Not Able To Bend For Sujood- Can I Sit For Prayer

Rate this topic

Salaam alaykum,

I recently got a surgery and my full recovery time before I see my dr. again is 2-3 weeks. I am supposed to avoid strenuous activities and exercises til then. When I try to bend for sujood I feel very uncomfortable (it does not hurt, but I sure do feel something). I am also worried about ripping any sutures. That is why I'm not supposed to be too active, to allow them to fully heal.

Is it alright if I offer my namaz in a seated position, in a chair? Until the 2-3 weeks time passes and I fully heal, inshAllah.

I also beseech you to make du'a for me for a quick and speedy recover, inshAllah.

Thank you in advance.

Answer to the Question asked obtained from AyatullahAl-Uzama Sayyid Ali Al-Husaini Al-Seestani Dama Dhilluhu

Paper # 4 RE DISABLED PERSON

Q) What is the ruling for a disabled person who offers prayers while remaining seated on the chair. Is it correct that such a person joining Namaz must in the beginning stand till Ruku of the 1st Rakaat & then perform all the actions while seated up to the end bowing wherever possible. Is it right for this person to lift the sajdagah & place it in the forehead while reciting the Dhikr of sujood or just bows more without sajdagah touching the forehead ? ( Sajdagah is on the small table infront of the Musalli all the time )

A) Your question is general which requires a detailed reply as it would apply individually according to his incapacitated position.

In short if he is unable to stand while praying, he should sit down, & if he is unable to sit, he should lie down. As long as a person is able to offer prayers standing, he should not sit down. For example, if the body of a person shakes, or moves when he stands, or he is obliged to lean on something, or to incline his body a bit, he should continue to offer prayers standing in whatever manner he can. But, if he cannot st& at all, he should sit upright, & offer prayers in that position. As long as he can sit, he should not offer prayers in a lying posture, & if he cannot sit straight, he should sit in any manner he can. & if he cannot sit at all, he should lie on his right side. If he also cannot lie on the left side then he should lie on his back with his feet facing Qibla.

For example, as your question implies, a person is praying seated on a chair with a table in front of him on which is laid Mor (Sijdagah). As long as he is able to stand up he should do so & recite Takbiratul Ihram in a standing position & if he can continue standing up to recite the Qir’at he should continue to do so & perform Ruku & then sit down to perform Sajdah. If he cannot continue standing up he should sit down after reciting Takbiratul Ihram & perform Ruku in a sitting position. If he cannot stand up & recite Takbiratul Ihram then only he should recite Takbiratul Ihram in a sitting position. If he is offering prayers in a sitting position, & after reciting Hamd & Surah, he is able to stand up & perform Ruku, he should first stand up, & then perform Ruku. But if he cannot do so, he should perform Ruku while sitting.

If a person cannot bow down for Ruku properly, he should lean on something & perform Ruku. & if he cannot perform Ruku even after he has leaned, he should bow down to the maximum extent he can, so that it could be customarily recognized as a Ruku. & if he cannot bend at all, he should make a sign for Ruku with his head.

If a person is supposed to make a sign with his head for Ruku is unable to do so, he should close his eyes with the niyyat of Ruku, & then recite Zikr. & for rising from Ruku, he should open his eyes. & if he is unable to do even that, he should, as a precaution, make a niyyat of Ruku in his mind, & then make a sign of Ruku with his hands & recite Zikr.

If a person cannot perform Ruku while standing, but can bend for it while sitting, he should offer prayers standing & should make a sign with his head for Ruku. & the recommended precaution is that he should offer another prayer in which he would sit down at the time of Ruku, & bow down for it.

If a person cannot find something high on which he may place the mohr, or any other allowable thing, & if he cannot find any person who would raise the mohr etc. for him, then as precaution, he should raise it with his h& & do Sajdah on it.

(As regards to raising the mohr with his h& & do Sajdah on it, Hujjatul Islam Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi has commented: The basis of your answer is correct; however, when I compared the statement in the Tawzihul Masa'il with what the Sayyid has written in Minhajus Salihiyn (which I consider to be more updated & comprehensive), it seems that the emphasis in the Minhaj is doing it by ishara rather than bring the muhr by h& to the forehead. In any case, the issue of bringing the muhr to the forehead is based on ihtiyat istihbabi, & not ihtiyat wujubi; and, therefore, I would go with the sajda by ishara as the first choice.)

If a person cannot perform Sajdah at all, he should make a sign for it with his head, & if he cannot do even that, he should make a sign with his eyes. & if he cannot make a sign even with his eyes he should, on the basis of obligatory precaution, make a sign for Sajdah with his hands etc. & should make a niyyat for Sajdah in his mind, & recite the obligatory Zikr.

Goku explained it well. If you can't bend down for sujood, then you can pray sitting down so you don't have to bend over so much.

no I just copy and pasted from islamic-laws.com sorry for forgetting source.

salam Alaikum

Ayatullah Sistani and other scholars:

if someone couldn't say prayer in standing:

1- can say it while leaning on something

2-if can't stand and lean, can sit in front of qiblah

3-if can't sit for prayer, can lay down on his/her right side

4- if can't lay down on right side, can do on left side

5- if can't do that, can lay down on back...

On 3/26/2012 at 5:29 AM, imaan=faith said:

salam Alaikum

Ayatullah Sistani and other scholars:

if someone couldn't say prayer in standing:

1- can say it while leaning on something

2-if can't stand and lean, can sit in front of qiblah

3-if can't sit for prayer, can lay down on his/her right side

4- if can't lay down on right side, can do on left side

5- if can't do that, can lay down on back...

wa alaykom salam

i am wondering, when laying down should the face be facing the qibla or should the top of the head be facing qiblah?

wa alaykom salam

i am wondering, when laying down should the face be facing the qibla or should the top of the head be facing qiblah?

salam Alaikum

in laying down on right or left side, the face (i.e in front of body like the stomach) must be toward qiblah,

and in laying down on your back, the feet must be toward qiblah.

Wassalam,

Thank you for all the responses. I am able to stand and do the ruku. The sujood is uncomfortable for me so I am going to just stay in a seated position and bend my head a bit and bring the turbah up to press against my forehead in lieu of the actual sujood. I wish I could do sujood because I love it but for now this is what I will do. I do not need to stay seated or lying down though, lol.

Ayatullah Khomeini did his prayers in the ends of his life by gesturing with his eyebrows, just to toss in my 2 cents. The posts above make clear that you ought to do the maximum you are able to, and the minimum will suffice if you cannot do enough.

Thanks to all again and may Allah (swt) bless you.

Wassalam,

Thank you for all the responses. I am able to stand and do the ruku. The sujood is uncomfortable for me so I am going to just stay in a seated position and bend my head a bit and bring the turbah up to press against my forehead in lieu of the actual sujood. I wish I could do sujood because I love it but for now this is what I will do. I do not need to stay seated or lying down though, lol.

Ayatullah Khomeini did his prayers in the ends of his life by gesturing with his eyebrows, just to toss in my 2 cents. The posts above make clear that you ought to do the maximum you are able to, and the minimum will suffice if you cannot do enough.

Thanks to all again and may Allah (swt) bless you.

salam Alaikum

Although you can sit on a chair and put the turbah on a table in front of you, so in this situation you can do sojud and it's better I think.

eltemase dua

salam Alaikum

in laying down on right or left side, the face (i.e in front of body like the stomach) must be toward qiblah,

and in laying down on your back, the feet must be toward qiblah.

Wa salam alykom

Jazaka Allah :)