Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
neotherios

Arts And Crafts Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

Regarding the topic of arts and crafts, are there any ahadith from Ahlul Bayt (as) that promote or demote arts and crafts?

Is it permissible to earn money using arts and crafts?

The works exclude any blasphemous creations such as sculpting an animal or a human...

Thanks in advance

(salam)

(bismillah)

Regarding the topic of arts and crafts, are there any ahadith from Ahlul Bayt (as) that promote or demote arts and crafts?

Is it permissible to earn money using arts and crafts?

The works exclude any blasphemous creations such as sculpting an animal or a human...

Thanks in advance

(salam)

Salam,

I believe there are hadiths but cannot find its source now.

Things like weaving/spinning/tailoring/Rug weaving/and a few other, and yes you can make money out of it. 

I cant answer your question. Please excuse me while i hijack your thread and turn it into an arts and crafts appreciation thread.

Im making a rug!!

Last week there was an almightly crash during the night. It turned out the mirror over the fireplace fell off the wall (spooky) and smashed. The mirror had been housed in a nice wooden frame, so i thought i must do something with it. It occured to me i could make it into a loom, so thats what i did. Ive gotten this far with it:

Please share any arts/crafts projects you are working on.

Looks neat and great start! Looking forward in seeing the final product. =)

I recently just finished making a 4 tier bookshelf from using ordinary cardboard boxes. 

I'm planning to make another one but this time similar to the one below.

Modular+shelving+system+by+Danny+Gilles,

Has anoyone ever made bath foam or bath bombs?

I plan on making my mum some bath bombs and bath foam. It wont turn out cheaper over all i dont think, but hopefully it will be kinder on her skin than the Lush ones and i can put the scents in that she likes. I plan on these 2 recipes:

Bath foam recipe

1 cup  Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Pure Castile liquid Soap

1/4 cup vegetable glycerin

1 tsp vanilla extract or essencial oil

Bath Bomb recipe:

8 ounces Baking Soda
4 ounces Citric Acid
4 ounces Corn Starch
4 ounces Epsom Salts
3/4 tsp. Water or witchhazel
2 tsp. Essential Oil
2 tsp. “light” oil like jojoba, almond, or baby oil for your skin
    Food coloring if you want colored bombs and water (optional)
    Decorations like dried flowers, non-toxic glitter, or sugar cake decorations (optional)

So my idea was to use my gingerbread man cookie cutters as a mold for the bath bomb mixture and add ginger essencial oil to it and maybe some orange/brown food colouring. When theyve dried and are out of the mold i thought i would decorate them with icing made with icing sugar and witchhazel.

My second idea was to use my star shaped cookie cutters as molds and do a lemon bath bomb mixture with lemon essencial oil, yellow food colouring and maybe some glitter or something.

Does anyone have any more ideas? her favourite scents are ginger, citrus fruits, cinnamon and berries.

I made the ginger biscuit bath bombs. I did 3 gingerbread women and 8 biscuit shapes. I'm quite pleased with them. I used ginger, lemon and cinnamon essential oil and mixed yellow and red food colouring. Theyre less fragile than i thought they would be.

ginger%20biscuit%20bath%20bombs%202_zps1

ginger%20biscuit%20bath%20bombs_zpsytxyn

I havent finished the decoration yet.

I had a bit of a learning curve. If you want to make cookie cutter bath bombs i recommend letting any elaborately shaped ones to dry for 24 hours before removing them from the cutters. You an use a fine needle or pin to loosen around the sides a little and then gently push it out as evenly as you can. I do not recommend pulling on the cutter to loosen it, i did this on one and an arm fell off. If youve packed it in firmly enough and let it dry for the 24 hours you should be ok with the pin and gentle pushing method. The biscuits were easier. I probably only left them about 30-45 mins before i pushed them out of the cutters and let them dry.

Im going to try making citrus scented cup cake ones next!

The whole bath bomb experiment turned out to be quite a palava. If i made them again i would get the moulds and just do ball shapes. I managed to get a box of bombs made but there were quite a few disappointments along the way and it wrecked my nails (the citric acid was to blame for that i reckon, although i did wear latex gloves). This was my box of bombs (minus the gingerbread women):

IMG_20151225_135702542_zps6fylam3j.jpg

I have no idea why the tops of the cup cakes cracked like that. The cup cakes are grapefruit and lemon scented and the stars are lavender, bergamot and lemon.

IMG_20151225_135722745_zpswt85d2iv.jpg

These are the ginger (ginger, cinnamon and lemon) biscuit ones and peppermint wheels (peppermint).

I also painted a box for the bath foams i made:

IMG_20151226_112759348_zpspkelbqg7.jpg

IMG_20151226_112824770_zpstllxhuw9.jpg

IMG_20151226_113219534_zpsvwwdti1t.jpg

Does anyone else do origami? ive turned my hand to it recently. There are loads of great tutorials on YouTube. I made this Christmas tree for a family member in Dec:

origami%20Christmas%20tree_zpswowb6kgl.j

origami%20christmas%20tree%202_zpsb4hs8n

It was surprisingly easy. The baubles were a bit fiddly though.