Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Important Question About Repentence

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam alaykum

Does Allah swt consider the repentance of a believer during his last moments?

What I mean by this is that I know that Pharoah, upon seeing his death coming, said he believed yet Allah swt did not consider his repentance since it was too late. He refused the truth until the last second.

Now the question is does Allah swt accept the requests of believers during their last breath? Or even during times when he thought he was going to die?

Thanks.

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

Imam Baqir (as) said,

Adam (as) requested God Almighty: My Lord! You have imposed Satan on me. So grant something to me also. Allah Almighty replied: O Adam! Yes, I have appointed something for you also. It is that if anyone from your progeny intends to sin, his sin will not be recorded. If he has sinned actually that sin (one only) will be noted. But when he will intend to do a good deed a good will instantly be noted in his account. Then if he will actually do that good deed, ten rewards will be credited to his account. Adam (as) said: My Lord! Grant me something more. Allah responded: another bounty for you is that if, after committing a sin, they will seek pardon from Me, I will forgive them. Adam (as) requested: My Lord! Add something more. Allah said: I have provided Tawba for your progeny and it is so vast that even if they beg My pardon at the last moment of their life, I will forgive them. He said: My Lord! This is enough.

The Holy Prophet (S) said,

“Anyone who does Tawba a year before his death, it will be accepted by God.”

Then he (pbuh) repeated,

“A year is a long time. If he begs pardon only a month before his end he will be forgiven.”

Then he said,

“A month is also too much. Even if he begs pardon only a week before his departure it will be accepted.”

Then he said,

“A week is also much more. If the sinner prays for pardon only a day before his death, his repentance will be accepted.”

Then he said,

“A day is also a long time. Even if a man repents just before the arrival of the angel of death, his Tawba will be accepted.”

(Usul al-Kāfi: Chapter of Tawba)

Regarding this hadith, Allamah Majlisi (a.r) comments: The stages of Tawba will depend on perfection and acceptance because a perfect repentance will wash out all the dirt from the mirror of the soul. Therefore, make the mirror of your heart shining with weeping before Allah, with good deeds and with humility. If one is unable to repent in the last year of his life he can do so in the last month. If not in the last month then in the last week. If not even in the last week prior to death then just one day before the final departure. If he cannot repent even a day before death then he may do so only an hour before his demise. The Most Merciful Allah will forgive him. But traditions have pointed out even the particular moment at which it will be of no use.

Source

• Veteran Member

Salam alaykum

Does Allah swt consider the repentance of a believer during his last moments?

What I mean by this is that I know that Pharoah, upon seeing his death coming, said he believed yet Allah swt did not consider his repentance since it was too late. He refused the truth until the last second.

Now the question is does Allah swt accept the requests of believers during their last breath? Or even during times when he thought he was going to die?

Thanks.

wa alaykum as salaam,

About fir'awn, this is the reason:

- Imam Ali al-Rida (a) was asked by one of his companions: 'Why is it that Allah, Mighty and Exalted, drowned Pharaoh, even though he believed in Him and professed His Divine Unity before he died? Imam (a) replied: 'Because he believed after he had beheld the punishment (that was in store for him), and professing belief after one beholds the punishment held in store is not accpeted. This is in accordance with Almighty Allah's command in the verse: "But when they saw Our punishment, they said, We believe in Allah alone and we reject what we previously used to associate with Him. But their belief was not going to profit them when they had seen our punishment" (40:84-85), and: "On the day when some of the signs of your Lord will be made manifest, faith in them shall not profit a soul that did not believe, nor shall he earn any good through his faith" (6:158)

Uyan akbar al-Rida, v.2, p.77, no.7

- Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (a) was asked about the significance of the following verse of the Qur'an: 'And repentance is not for those who continue commiting evil deeds until, when death overtakes them, he says, surely now I repent.' (4:18) He replied: 'This is when death overtakes him to the point where he can see the reality of the Hereafter (and he know he will end in hell)'

al-Faqih, v.1, p.79, no.355

-------------------------------------

- Imam al-Baqir (a) said: 'When the soul reaches here (pointing to his throat), the repentance of the learned person will not be accepted, whereas the repentance of the of the ignorant will be accepted.'

al-kafi, v.2, p.319, no.3

- An old man who was an opponent of the Ahl al-Bayt (a)'s viceregency and who harboured enmity towards them was on his death-bed, when his nephew urged him to embrace the love and authority of the Ahl al-Bayt Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã. The old man accepted, and then immediately fell into a swoon and died. Subsequently this story was narrated to Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã, who upon hearing it, said: 'He is of those who will enter Paradise.' One of his companions retorted: 'But apart from that one moment, he never acknowledged your viceregency!' Imam (a) replied: 'Well, what more do you want from him? By Allah he has entered Paradise.'

al-Kafi, v.2, p.319, no.4

(all taken from 'Combat with the self' Hurr al-Amili, chapter 93)