Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Isolation

Rate this topic

jaiart

• Advanced Member

I have been attending the same two mosque's for a couple years now. They are predominately arab and I am a black American. At what point do we finally get past the "salaam" level of familiarity? At what point will the odd looks and "interesting" comments and remarks cease? One of the appealing parts of Islam was the notion of true brotherhood within the ummah. Sadly the brotherhood of the Prophets day is sorely gone. The ummah wasn't the reason I became Muslim or even Shia so I won't be leaving anytime soon but it would be nice if that brotherhood was actually still there. Tribalism has returned to Isla,

I have been attending the same two mosque's for a couple years now. They are predominately arab and I am a black American. At what point do we finally get past the "salaam" level of familiarity? At what point will the odd looks and "interesting" comments and remarks cease? One of the appealing parts of Islam was the notion of true brotherhood within the ummah. Sadly the brotherhood of the Prophets day is sorely gone. The ummah wasn't the reason I became Muslim or even Shia so I won't be leaving anytime soon but it would be nice if that brotherhood was actually still there. Tribalism has returned to Isla,

two years is no doubt enough time for these things so I am not sure what the problem is. Though even at my mosque made up of 100% iraqis, certain people from a certain city will remain with each other. It's like an alliance is built up between the people even though they are all the same ethnicity. So it happens to everyone unfortunately whether you are the same race or not.

So sorry to hear about your troubles at the mosques. Unfortunately a lot of people tend to stick to their own racial groups, especially first generation immigrants. Perhaps you can be the first one to get past the "salam alaikum" and start a conversation with someone, start breaking the barriers. It's definitely not fair to isolate a brother just because he's a different race, that's not cool at all and I really am sorry about your situation. It must get very lonely.

• 1 month later...

sallam bro, I know it's hard, but Imam Ali(a.s) said u r better off alone when u find no sincerity . so don't expect anything from this Umma..... They are busy in their own problems................. it's sad and pathetic, Things would have been different for u if u were white christian lady converted to shia Islam then everyone would have been so amiable like they are only one ,who know about islam and without them u can't learn anything about Islam...... thats how most of people in this ummah behave.......... it's funny but true..............

But at the end of the day who cares, every one has to lift their own burden on the day of judgement...... worry not be patient, u r not alone who feel the same. I know people who are born and raised muslim but they really don't get along with each other...................

• Advanced Member

u will find the "clique" mentatlity in pretty much all cultures but its sad to say that its the amongst the worst in muslim communities. i think w ehave forgotten that a smile is sadaqa (charity) and that welcoming other people and being friendly is part of our faith

do try to reach out though. its sometimes easy to sit back and wait to be approached and welcomed by those around u rather than making the effort to get to know them a bit better. ideally, they should be reaching out to u as u r a minority in their community and u r relatively new to Islam. but give them the benefit of the doubt and make excuses for them. if they still shun u after that then they are not worthy of ur friendship

Edited by AR2011

• Advanced Member

It's sad to read your experience with ''muslims'' since your conversion. unfortunately, not all muslims follow Islam as it is supposed to. I suggest you pray for these people who mistreated you and change the center/mosque you go to. perhaps there're other places where ppl are more open minded and more welcoming, I pray.

the center i go to mostly is predominately an Arab and Iranian centers and am an African. I never get weird looks or comments, all I can say is that my experience with shias since I converted to shia Islam is quite the opposite. I was actually surprised with the kindness and hospitality of the ppl at those centers that i've been to.

• Advanced Member

u will find the "clique" mentatlity in pretty much all cultures but its sad to say that its the amongst the worst in muslim communities. i think w ehave forgotten that a smile is sadaqa (charity) and that welcoming other people and being friendly is part of our faith

do try to reach out though. its sometimes easy to sit back and wait to be approached and welcomed by those around u rather than making the effort to get to know them a bit better. ideally, they should be reaching out to u as u r a minority in their community and u r relatively new to Islam. but give them the benefit of the doubt and make excuses for them. if they still shun u after that then they are not worthy of ur friendship

I agree, be proactive and take initiative. I visisted Dearborne, Michigan a few weeks back. This wonderful African American convert just walked up to us and was like "Salam, are you guys from another state?" and the conversation went on from there. We ended up talking to her half an hour. Wonderful woman, MashaAllah. Shout-out to Shia converts in Michigan!

Guest a.shia.muslim.brother.110

salam u alaykom,

Umfortinetly people in the wester world masjids usually get along with their country home bros/sis which is absolutly against Islamic teachings!!!

In sha Allah, he will strengthen your faith and cure those people!!!

• Advanced Member

The main problem is that some people are so insular. They are not ready to embrace people of other color, origin and culture. Islam came to eradicate all the man-made boundaries. Maybe in the future people will be more open to people who are not exactly like them and embrace the diversity.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you will be able to overcome your difficulties.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

This issue really annoys me.. I see it as a form of racism, whether it's unknowingly happening or not. Sorry for the experience after your reversion, Masha'Allah may God bless you and keep you in the light of the Ahlulbayt (as). Much respect brother.

But our communities have no excuse for this kind of akhlaq, there is no quick solution other than try to ignore this aspect of our communities, as you rightly said it's not the Ummah that made you revert.

'I have been sent by Allah to teach people good manners' - RasoolAllah (pbuh)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

great news

i just wanted to say , i dont think it is racisim , i mean racism is stupid , to think that you and your race - skin color and face features- are superior to other humans !

even from non muslims human who live in the 21st century , this i is pure stupedity

but yeah , descrimination happens and it is hard to correct especially those old muslims who are paranoid about everyone

the level of marry my daughter is too high lol , it has nothing to do with being non arab, even arbs and even same nationality wont make it easier for you to get that lelevl with arabs

i have a friend whom some women of her family passed teh marriage age cause noon of her-family - proposed to her , her family is a big tribe

it has other social meaning , not marrying from someone known locally means the locals had refused her for an ethical reason or something physical like being mentally unstable

same goes on males in some arabs societies , marrying from out of the family means that locals denied you to have one of their daghters cause there is something wrong about the man

another thing i wanted to say about the color and the african look

you are a rare sight for arabs -shia ones lol- you are not a surprise if you are a sunni muslim , but shia?

even arab sudanese -africans- who convert to shiaism will get those remarks and looks cause they are rare to be spotted

if you have any other question about arab wierdness just ask , sometimes explaning the social norms of one society can make hearts feel more at ease

oh , my cousin is living with black american , he likes them more than teh white cause they are more noisy

my brother also prefer the latino amreican, he said cause they are more arab likes

other arabs would prefer the more white american cause they are less random than arabs 0.o

prefernces really!

• Advanced Member

Salam

I know how hard it can be, my parents have returned to the creator, and have lost all family.... finaaley my friends not only turned whabi, but tryd to convince me ?

So i left my town of orign, and wonder through the land.

If a man was a true Muslim, he would take intrest in your problems.

Dont loose faith as there are a few good people left, if you do find one, make shure you stay true....