Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Muslim

"emo" Kids Slaughtered By Militants

Rate this topic

(Reuters) - At least 14 youths have been stoned to death in Baghdad in the past three weeks in what appears to be a campaign by Shi'ite militants against youths wearing Western-style "emo" clothes and haircuts, security and hospital sources say.

Militants in Shi'ite neighborhoods where the stonings have taken place circulated lists on Saturday naming more youths targeted to be killed if they do not change the way they dress.

The killings have taken place since Iraq's interior ministry drew attention to the "emo" subculture last month, labeling it "Satanism" and ordering a community police force to stamp it out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/10/us-iraq-emo-killings-idUSBRE8290CY20120310

Well I guess they have a lot to be emo about with what's happened to the country over the years. :donno:

Dozens of Iraqi teenagers have been killed in recent months by militias who consider them to be devil worshippers, human rights activists claim.

The young people are described as "emos", a term used in the West to refer to youths who listen to rock music and wear alternative clothing.

Reports say that up to 58 teenagers have been beaten to death or shot in the last month, most of them men.

Iraq's interior ministry recently described emos as devil worshippers.

In Iraq, the term emo is also conflated with homosexuality, which although legal is socially and religiously taboo.

'Threatened'

Militias in Baghdad's conservative Shia neighbourhood of Sadr City have distributed leaflets with the names of 20 young people they say should be punished.

In a statement on his website, Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr described emo youths as "crazy and fools", but said they should be dealt with within the law.

"They are a plague on Muslim society, and those responsible should eliminate them through legal means," he said.

Mustafa, a young Iraqi, told the BBC he feels "threatened" when he wears black clothing.

"The Iraqi people look at you in a bad way," he said. "It is even worse when the Iraqi security for example arrest those in black or in the emo groups."

The interior ministry said it had not recorded any anti-gay or anti-emo killings, but said recent murders in Baghdad could be attributed to "revenge, or social, criminal, political or cultural reasons".

The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, based in New York, told Agence France Presse that nearly 40 people have been kidnapped, tortured or killed in Iraq since February in a "new surge of anti-gay violence".

emo-haircut_2164814b.jpg

Iraqi activists said this picture belongs to a teenager who was brutally killed by religious police for having an “emo” hairstyle. Photo: Al Tahreer News

I'd wonder how they'd react if they ever went to parts of Tehran, where this style is actually quite the norm. :donno:

More of an Iranian influence than a Western influence by the looks of it.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Guest Zahratul_Islam

People need to be careful about where they get their news as a lot of outlets have a bone to pick with the current government and say things that are just patently false. There is no "religious police" in Iraq, these are just some militant thugs in a conservative district who have been admonished by Sistani himself in a fatwa. The interior minister should have kept his mouth shut about teenagers who made him uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean this was government sanctioned or approved in any shape, way, or form. There has been tension far before he said anything, in any case.

Edited by Zahratul_Islam

Guest Mushu

Some things need to be cleared up.

There is no evidence that the reports are accurate or truthful. The consensus in Iraq is that the media have inflated these stories in attempt to discredit the government and the religious authorities of Iraq. Sheikh al-Yaqoobi issued a statement that if the stories are indeed true (which he doubts), then of course they are denounced by Islam and have nothing to do with Islam. He said that the media stories are laced with bias, with statements such as 'Shia extremism' and the like.

Furthermore, the most reputable Islamic authorities in Iraq have denounced the actions (Sistani and Yaqoobi). Even Muqtada al-Sadr expressed that though he believes the 'emo' subculture needs to be addressed, and has no place in Iraqi society, he did denounce the actions.

Edited by Mushu

^ The stories may be exaggerated or distorted depending on the news source, but that isn't to say there are no Shia extremists and those intolerant to others with alternative lifestyles in Iraq. They may not be condoned by any authority, religious or governmental, but there are religious nutters everywhere, just happens to be more of a Sunni phenomenon, partly due to numbers, as well as its anarchic nature in comparison. Also not all Shias can be reigned in by scholarly opinion, if they don't do taqlid.

Some things need to be cleared up.

Furthermore, the most reputable Islamic authorities in Iraq have denounced the actions (Sistani and Yaqoobi). Even Muqtada al-Sadr expressed that though he believes the 'emo' subculture needs to be addressed, and has no place in Iraqi society, he did denounce the actions.

LOL Muqtada even condemned the sectarian violence, that didn't stop some people claiming allegiance to him from doing it.

People need to be careful about where they get their news as a lot of outlets have a bone to pick with the current government and say things that are just patently false. There is no "religious police" in Iraq, these are just some militant thugs in a conservative district who have been admonished by Sistani himself in a fatwa. The interior minister should have kept his mouth shut about teenagers who made him uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean this was government sanctioned or approved in any shape, way, or form. There has been tension far before he said anything, in any case.

The Interior Ministry is infiltrated by sympathizers of Islamist fundamentalist parties. Militants have always been there in conservative neighborhoods but they were stopped from doing their thing.

Guest Zahratul_Islam

It was better before, wasn't it ? :dry:

Maybe for your sorts.

I would love to say you stand alone and that i haven't come across other Palestinians/Pan Arabs like yourself, but I would be lying through my damn teeth if i did so.

I support the Palestinian cause because it simply must be one against a brutal oppressor. An oppressor so brutal that Palestinians have shown time and time again they are willing to worship the worst and bloodiest of dictators if he happens to support their cause and agenda, even if in doing so they are paying lip service to dead, tortured, mutilated, gassed, raped Iraqi bodies. Even if by doing so they fail to realize they are the very definition of irony.

Free people do not do this unless they are inherently evil, entirely unmotivated by socioeconomic factors. That is why the Palestinians I know who have been here for a while or are relatively educated tend to denounce Saddam.

Therefore you are either

1) A fob

2) uneducated

3) evil

4) any combination of the above

Your call, buddy. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zahratul_Islam

Maybe for your sorts.

I would love to say you stand alone and that i haven't come across other Palestinians/Pan Arabs like yourself, but I would be lying through my damn teeth if i did so.

I support the Palestinian cause because it simply must be one against a brutal oppressor. An oppressor so brutal that Palestinians have shown time and time again they are willing to worship the worst and bloodiest of dictators if he happens to support their cause and agenda, even if in doing so they are paying lip service to dead, tortured, mutilated, gassed, raped Iraqi bodies. Even if by doing so they fail to realize they are the very definition of irony.

Free people do not do this unless they are inherently evil, entirely unmotivated by socioeconomic factors. That is why the Palestinians I know who have been here for a while or are relatively educated tend to denounce Saddam.

Therefore you are either

1) A fob

2) uneducated

3) evil

4) any combination of the above

Your call, buddy. :rolleyes:

I have seen you attack this user on many occasions. I understand that you don't like his views, but stop the personal attacks.You can make your dislike towards his views known in a more civilized way.

Guest Zahratul_Islam

I have seen you attack this user on many occasions. I understand that you don't like his views, but stop the personal attacks.You can make your dislike towards his views known in a more civilized way.

I appreciate your concern for his feelings. I am not the kind of person who bullies or attacks people, especially if I sense that they are in a position of weakness.

That being said, this user came on shiachat to praise a dictator infamous for his slaughter of Shias, so I am going to go ahead and guess that he wasn't exactly looking for civil discourse and that his cyber pair is made of steel.

Furthermore, this member has private messaged me images of Saddam in his glory years stating that they *would be back*, so I am pretty sure he is going to be fine emotionally.. albeit the mental state of someone who promises to revive a long dead dictator is a little less reassuring.

Edited by Zahratul_Islam

Guest Mushu

^ The stories may be exaggerated or distorted depending on the news source, but that isn't to say there are no Shia extremists and those intolerant to others with alternative lifestyles in Iraq. They may not be condoned by any authority, religious or governmental, but there are religious nutters everywhere, just happens to be more of a Sunni phenomenon, partly due to numbers, as well as its anarchic nature in comparison. Also not all Shias can be reigned in by scholarly opinion, if they don't do taqlid.

Yeah of course, noone is denying that there are fundamentalists. For instance, some members of Jaysh al-Mahdi will happily kill rival Shia groups, simply because they disagree with Muqtada.

Most Shias in Iraq are reigned by scholarly opinion, non-Taqlidi ideas are not very prevalent in Iraq.

Feel sorry for those that died.

But seriously, when I saw emo next to Iraq.

I just died of laughter.

It's the most cheesiest thing I have ever heard or even conceptualized in my brain.

And not to mention, especially when you're self-aware that a place like Iraq has a lot of people that take things by the book or take culture and religion extremely seriously, you have to have enough common sense, not to act/behave in a certain manner that can result in the loss of lives.

That being said, this user came on shiachat to praise a dictator infamous for his slaughter of Shias, so I am going to go ahead and guess that he wasn't exactly looking for civil discourse and that his cyber pair is made of steel.

Furthermore, this member has private messaged me images of Saddam in his glory years stating that they *would be back*, so I am pretty sure he is going to be fine emotionally.. albeit the mental state of someone who promises to revive a long dead dictator is a little less reassuring.

Saddam did not slaughter Shias for who they were, he did not attack their beliefs and places of worship, he did not send death squads to massacre them. Stop exaggerating and quoting from cliched Western academics who don't know jack about Iraq.

For all you know, many of the people who were involved in the "atrocities" of 1991 are still working in the Iraqi Gov't. Just last year Barzani pardoned 5,000 former Kurdish collaborators (Jash), who had taken part in the Operation Anfal, and reinstated them in the Peshmergas.

You were irritating me with images of Saddam's capture and posting them on these forums, so I responded in kind.

Guest Mushu

Saddam did not slaughter Shias for who they were, he did not attack their beliefs and places of worship, he did not send death squads to massacre them. Stop exaggerating and quoting from cliched Western academics who don't know jack about Iraq.

For all you know, many of the people who were involved in the "atrocities" of 1991 are still working in the Iraqi Gov't. Just last year Barzani pardoned 5,000 former Kurdish collaborators (Jash), who had taken part in the Operation Anfal, and reinstated them in the Peshmergas.

You were irritating me with images of Saddam's capture and posting them on these forums, so I responded in kind.

Bro aren't you Indian or something?

Bro aren't you Indian or something?

Indian, Palestinian or Dutch, who cares? He and his likes can keep dreaming. Saddam and his days are over and nothing will ''bring it back'', and Maliki, he'll be PM for a quite a time, so get used to Shia rule. Enjoy this picture by the way :D

1_204157_1_5.jpg

Edited by Iraqiah_Shia

Indian, Palestinian or Dutch, who cares? He and his likes can keep dreaming. Saddam and his days are over and nothing will ''bring it back'', and Maliki, he'll be PM for a quite a time, so get used to Shia rule. Enjoy this picture by the way :D

1_204157_1_5.jpg

Maliki and his camp are powerless and don't know a damn thing. And since you always bring up "Shia rule", need I remind you that your people (Shia Arabs) have never ruled themselves in history, forget about ruling others. Without generous help and guidance from others (Russia and Iran), "Shia rule" in Iraq or Bahrain or any part of the Arab world is an illusion.

Guest Mushu

Maliki and his camp are powerless and don't know a damn thing. And since you always bring up "Shia rule", need I remind you that your people (Shia Arabs) have never ruled themselves in history, forget about ruling others. Without generous help and guidance from others (Russia and Iran), "Shia rule" in Iraq or Bahrain or any part of the Arab world is an illusion.

Umm, Iraq is 70% Shia. Being ruled by anything other than Shia is an illusion.

Umm, Iraq is 70% Shia. Being ruled by anything other than Shia is an illusion.

This is the problem. Why should Iraq be ruled by Shia or Sunni or Kurd ? Why can't Iraq be ruled by Iraqis ? There is no difference between Sunni or Shia, so why keep saying Shia rule ? When the Baath Party ruled, did they say this is Sunni Rule ? Did they force you to abandon your religious practices ? Then why this hatred ?

By your logic, Saddam's rule was Shia rule ( actually it was).

This is the problem. Why should Iraq be ruled by Shia or Sunni or Kurd ? Why can't Iraq be ruled by Iraqis ? There is no difference between Sunni or Shia, so why keep saying Shia rule ? When the Baath Party ruled, did they say this is Sunni Rule ? Did they force you to abandon your religious practices ? Then why this hatred ?

I'd imagine being a self-confessed Arab nationalist, it would indeed make a difference to you, even though you don't admit it, because a "Shia-led" Iraq would clearly shift it's ties from the Arab Sunni political nexus and closer to that of Iran, whilst strengthening ties further with the Shias of Lebanon, the Gulf and the sub-continent, being home to a newly revived Shia center, that is Najaf.

The average Arab nationalist doesn't really consider Arab Shias to be true Arabs, but rather an Iranian fifth column, with alliegances to Iran. This is also why Arab nationalism has pretty much been shunned by the Shias as it isn't really inclusive and still largely a Sunni phenomenon, in anycase Arab nationalism has failed to live up to it's post-independent promises which is also why Islamism is now the in-thing these days.

"There is no longer a way out of our present situation except by forging a road toward our objective, violently and by force, over a sea of blood and under a horizon blazing with fire" - Gamal Abdel Nasser

Yeah.. and look how that turned out.....

I'd imagine being a self-confessed Arab nationalist, it would indeed make a difference to you, even though you don't admit it, because a "Shia-led" Iraq would clearly shift it's ties from the Arab Sunni political nexus and closer to that of Iran, whilst strengthening ties further with the Shias of Lebanon, the Gulf and the sub-continent, being home to a newly revived Shia center, that is Najaf.

Yes we are against political Shi'ism. We have been fighting against poliitcal Shi'ism for the last 33 years.

The average Arab nationalist doesn't really consider Arab Shias to be true Arabs, but rather an Iranian fifth column, with alliegances to Iran.

This is complete BS. This is what you get by reading from Western academic and media sources. As I said, we resent political Shi'ites who may have their allegiances to iran, but we do not have a problem with normal practicing Shias.

This is also why Arab nationalism has pretty much been shunned by the Shias as it isn't really inclusive and still largely a Sunni phenomenon, .

Yeah tell that to the Alawites of Syria who would probably be not seen, not heard, were it not for Arab nationalism.

Yes we are against political Shi'ism. We have been fighting against poliitcal Shi'ism for the last 33 years.

And then you expect us to believe in your, "Iraqis are Iraqis, why can't we all get along" stance... implying politicized and empowered Shias ruling a Shia majority Iraq would have no political implications not to your Arab-liking? Thank you for proving my point.

May Allah forgive that boy who was misguided by the invasion of the shaitan kafirs, in my option this boy should have been giving a chance to get his mind, heart and soul right threw seeking Allah swt to guide him and relieve him from such a horrific agenda, but if he chose to stay that way no matter what then Allah swt is the wise the knowing and he will judge him, another thing is that these agendas are like a plague next thing you know it enters another humans eyes and you might get contaminated so what do you do you use vaccines

to treat it or if it will get out of control you go to next step were Allah only knows what it will be.

oh Allah swt by the truth of your power and glory keep our faiths firm

This is what Emo (and Western culture) is doing to Iraq. It's making the kids turn to all this stupid stuff and turn away from and mock religion...

http://articles.lati...h-girl-20101214

Ban is an emo, belonging to a subculture that may have gone mainstream in the rest of the world, but sure hasn't here. She pronounces it "emu." Either way, it means she's a goth with a fondness for sparkle.

"It's the duality of being simultaneously cheerful and bored with life," she says. Like a 15-year-old anywhere, she fidgets, giggles at the mention of a favorite band and brags about her defiance before blushing at the thought of such brazenness.

Raise+Eyebrow.gif

I know that this isn''t authentic but according to my father who just came back this is really happening. They are getting stoned and the police who catches one shave the emo's hair.

Guest Zahratul_Islam

Cliched Western academics? I don't read their accounts of Iraq. Most of the academic reading I did in uni was about Palestinians. Western leftists would rather write about Fellujah over Kerbala or Nasriyah, which I find rather unfortunate. You see, you aren't some great resistor, you are in line with the likes of liberal hippies.. critical distinction being that they do it out of ignorance and you do it out of racism/sectarianism. I mean what does a Tikrit have to do to get the title of sectarian? Something beyond disallowing them from practicing many of their Shia beliefs, leaving them out of power, and then bombing their places of worship and the shrine of our holy imam when they rebelled?

My accounts come from my family members who had death warrants issued against them after the 91 revolution. I knew these stories before I knew about Cinderella and her tacky footwear. :rolleyes:

Trust me, I know there are traitors in the current government. What did you want us to do? Disenfranchise all opposition? Take out their eyes and torture them? Clearly that type of stuff wins your respect.

As for the picture, I posted that on the forum for everyone to see. Why did you private message it? I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend you were suddenly aware of the disgusting nature of your loyalties.

By your logic, Saddam's rule was Shia rule ( actually it was).

You are such a disingenuous clown.

May Allah forgive that boy who was misguided by the invasion of the shaitan kafirs,.

This is what Emo (and Western culture) is doing to Iraq. It's making the kids turn to all this stupid stuff and turn away from and mock religion...

http://articles.lati...h-girl-20101214

Depressing..this is the erosion of Iraqi culture

:huh:

Edited by Zahratul_Islam

Something beyond disallowing them from practicing many of their Shia beliefs, leaving them out of power, and then bombing their places of worship and the shrine of our holy imam when they rebelled?

No that was the US Airforce who did that, everyone knows that. :mellow:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234999864-first-gulf-war-damage-to-mosques-caused-by-usa/page__pid__2362518#entry2362518