Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
MadeehaBatool23

Ziarat Experiences

Rate this topic

Just came back in december from the whole Iran, Iraq and Syria ziyarah AlhumduLilah. Here was one thing I noticed, especially in places like Iraq where unfortunately much of the infrastructure has been destroyed and there is just huge filth and unbearable odors in many streets (due to damaged sewer lines I suppose) sometimes its just unbearable walking in those places.

But once you get to the shrines you forget about ALL OF THAT and you can smell nothing but fragrance and feel wonderful feelings. And when you enter the shrines (especially Imam Hussein (as) )'s shrine) you get this sense that you are no longer in this world anymore, and even get the feeling that you might be in Janaat. It is an amazing feeling.

Also one more strange thing. While I got this feeling whenever I entered a shrine, for some reason in Qom in Iran I got this feeling ALL OVER THE CITY. I cant explain why but Qom is really blessed I feel

So how did you prepare before going there?

- Both spiritually and practically.

In no particular order :

1)Fulfill your waajibaat

2)Dont missout the Fajar namaaz,

3)Be a better person generally (and maintain this afterwards as well),

4)You will meet some wastemans even whist on ziayaraat ....just be patient and forgive them for the sake of Imam Hussain a.s

5)Dont complain about anything whether if it is the toilet facilities, the hotel room, the coach, the long drives etc etc. Always keep

reminding yourself of your goal- ziyaraat of Imam Hussain a.s. Everythign else is irrelevant.

6) Try and keep yourself as clean as you can as your going to see the best person in this world and hence always do ghusl before going into the haram (where possible).

7) Keep loads of undergarments and socks (if your not gonna do any washing).

8)Keep a lot of spare change for the miskeen in Najaf. You will see a lot of them and trust me it hurts the most when you walk past them emptyhanded in front of the Roza of Ameerul Momineem a.s.

9)Wear two pairs of socks in Masjid e Kufa as it is marble floored and it gets very cold at night!

10)Try and practise some poetry. Us Asians for e.g have this heart rendering poetry called salaam, 'marsiye' and nohe (latmiyeh). Inshallah you will cry a lot when you recite all this in the harams of Imam Hussain a.s.

11) Whenever you go out, always carry the hotel card with you as there will be sooo many people that it would be impossible to stay together (well atleast when i went during arbayeen!). So you can ask the locals for directions to the hotel and trust me, karbalai people are the most kind hearted people i've ever met in my life! ( i swear!).

12)You cant take any electronics in any harams as you have to hand them over as amaanat.

13) Remember where the amaanat place is relative to the door that it is near. E.g outside Baab ul Qibla.

14) Think about some questions to ask the scholars.

15) Carry some biscuits,crisps and other snacks just for the long drives. You can always distribute them there if they are left over.

16) If you can, take some old clothes with you. You will find plenty of orphans in najaf who will be very happy to accept anything.

17)Try and meet as many people as you can. It is a great sawaaab to shake hands with a momin.

18)I beg you to read up about the Imams in Kazmain and Samerra before you visit them. I personally watched these lecture and found them very informative :

19) Before leaving, hundreds of people will ask you to pray for them. Carry a small diary and write down every1's name. The biggest gift you can ever give any1 is that you placed your hand on the shrine of Imam Hussain a.s/ Hz Abbas a.s and prayed for that individual by name.

20) Write down any other duas that you might have for yourself/others. Because once you get there your mind goes blank and you wont know what to ask for! It seems as if you dont want to ask for anything else after this ziyaraat!

20) It is a once in a life time experience so make the most out of it. You dont know if your gonna be alive the following year to do the ziyaraat again so make sure you spend as much time as you can inside the harams. UR NOT GOING THERE TO SLEEP!!

21) Apologies for any grammatical errors/ spelling mistakes as i had a long day today!!

Hope that helps!

Edited by diracdeltafunc

5)Dont complain about anything whether if it is the toilet facilities, the hotel room, the coach, the long drives etc etc. Always keep

reminding yourself of your goal- ziyaraat of Imam Hussain a.s. Everythign else is irrelevant.

So the toilet facilities are bad? :donno:

So the toilet facilities are bad? :donno:

Depends which hotel you stay in. All our hotels were very good with wc's everywhere. However in Najaf, we had those desi toilets (the ones where you have to squat down) in my room and i didnt find very comfortable to use. But oh well! Its not a big deal!

Depends which hotel you stay in. All our hotels were very good with wc's everywhere. However in Najaf, we had those desi toilets (the ones where you have to squat down) in my room and i didnt find very comfortable to use. But oh well! Its not a big deal!

Ugh! I hate those toilets! But yeah, it's not really a big deal :dry:

Oh and say if you're staying for 2-3 weeks, do you need to take a lot of clothes? Would you get a chance to wash your clothes?

Guest a.shia.muslim.brother.110

Salam u alaykom,

I've been to Qom, Mashad, Karbala, Najaf, Samera and Kazemein & Medinah. In sha Allah, you'll have privilege to go so.

But remember just going and not pondering and not changing your life would use ....... (u name it!)

You need to observe it by ur heart (DARKE MA'NAVI) then u've done the ziarat!

assalam u alaykom

Oh and say if you're staying for 2-3 weeks, do you need to take a lot of clothes? Would you get a chance to wash your clothes?

I was in Iraq for 2 weeks and i didnt wash anything. So yea i took enough clothes. I could tell you what but from your username you sound like a sister so perphaps you could PM other female zawwar and ask.

Ugh! I hate those toilets! But yeah, it's not really a big deal :dry:

To my surprise, the hotels and the washrooms in Iraq were some of the CLEANEST and nicest i have seen ^_^ , and dont worry about the clothes issue, you should take your purest clothes and the hotels there have reliable laundry services.My trip was 3 weeks and I had mine washed twice without any problems.

Oh and according to some traditions I have heard that you need to specially seek permission from Allah SWT and the Ahle Bayt (as) before going on your ziyarat (it is an etiqutte). And InshAllah you will have a great trip

Salam alikum,

I have just returned from Iraq last week. Stayed there for 10 days. It was a wonderful experience. I will write a detailed post about it soon.