Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Saviour

Memorising The Quran

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Hope everyone is well and in the Best of faith - Insh'Allah :)

So I just wanted to ask if anyone knows any good tips and advice for someone who wants to start memorising some parts of the Quran, not all due to lack of free time but just a decent amount. I guess my reason behind it is that i thought it would be really cool, to have the Quran at my finger tips :P But also as I heard the idea of how the Ahlul Bayt (as) were the living, speaking Quran on earth, in the sense of their actions, speech and etc. For example the lady which only spoke by Quran for forty years.

So if anyone has any advice, tips or really anything please do post.

I thank you All in Advance :)

(wasalam)

Guest a.shia.muslim.brother.110

Salam u alaykom,

read stories of people who have memorized Quran. (e.g. Seyyed Mohammad Hossein Tabatabaie (the used to be little genius), etc

remeber once u memorized it in sha Allah, the main point is to act upon it and ur duties will be harder!

assalam u alaykom

read stories of people who have memorized Quran. (e.g. Seyyed Mohammad Hossein Tabatabaie (the used to be little genius), etc

remeber once u memorized it in sha Allah, the main point is to act upon it and ur duties will be harder!

Yh, your right I will have to act upon it of course, Insh'Allah i will have the strength to and it will increase my Iman :D

I've also heard that if you memorize the Quran, you'll be given the power of intercession on Judgement Day.

Really? Do you remember where you heard it, like the source, you know just to be sure?

It's from a sunni book (Tirmidhi), but here's the narration from the Prophet (pbuh):

"A person who memorized the Quran, adhered to that which is permissible, and refrained from that which is forbidden, Allah will admit him to Paradise and allow him to intercede for ten people of his family, all of whom deserved the fire."

God knows best if this is true.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Here is a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUB2TsCYkRU&context=C399699bADOEgsToPDskLp8kQbA-zIcqNpEu1jb0co

Edit: There are a few narrations about memorizing the Qur'an in the book Thawaabul A'amaal. I will post them up later today insha'Allah

(wasalam)

Edited by Shia_Debater

(bismillah)

(salam)

Firsty, masha'Allah @ your desire to memorize the book of AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Secondly, you have to constantly purify your intention. As you're memorizing, people might know so they'll expect you to recite or they'll praise you so much. You haaaaave to shut out these praises in your head and don't let it get to you and always make sure that all of our recitations are for AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. This is probably one of the hardest things of memorizing the Quran, in addition to acting upon it.

Thirdly, this is one of the best practical advices i've come across:

And you have to constantly review. Try to read a bit of what you memorized every day. You know how much you can handle (both in terms of memorizing and in terms of reciting), so don't push yourself too much and go at a good pace, or you may find this task becoming difficult and you may even hate it if you push yourself too hard.

And if you don't understand what you're reciting, then read a bit of the translations along with your memorizing. i don't advise memorizing the translation, but just read it to get a general idea of what your memorizing. And if you know Arabic or are learning Arabic then it makes memorizing so much easier.

and as always, dua.

best of Salams!

(wasalam)

Memorising and having the Qur'an at your finger tips are not quite the same, if you want tips for memorising, I find a good method is to firstly, download the Qur'an onto your phone, or mp3 or something so you can always listen to it when you are on the go. Then decide which surah you want to learn, sit down with it in front of you, and listen to it and read it over as many times as you need until you get a general idea of how the surah goes, so the body of it is in your head, then after that, after every prayer just read it over once, and when you are walking around, make sure it is the first surah you listen to. With that, insha Allah, it won't take you too much time to learn the short ones, start with the last surah and work your way back. This is a method I have found works ok for me.

As a brother above pointed out, also try to read the translation, as it is good to have a general idea of what you are saying.

As a brother above pointed out, also try to read the translation, as it is good to have a general idea of what you are saying.

Yh i also want to learn the translation which makes twice as hard i guess but at least I'll understand what I'm reading :)

Alhumdulila - Thank you all for the links :)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother Admid al-Mufeed mentioned a number of very good and important tips and i highly recommend following them, but i wanted to expand something he wrote:

5- Always memorize in portions - for example set a daily limit of 5 or so verses a day - and try to be disciplined with that. As you do this every day, you will notice that the task becomes quicker and easier to complete, and after some time you can start increasing your daily limit. If you are dedicated and are disciplined - and you do a reasonable amount every day, there should not be any reason for you to not complete the memorization of the Quran with in a 5 year period. (usually its allot less if you are disciplined but most of us are not).

Just a slight addenum to this. When you memorize a new portion, try to spend some time "connecting the verses". So if you memorize Surah al-Baqarah #1-10 in one day and the next day, you memorize verses #11-20, spend a few minutes reciting verses #10 and 11 together from memory. This way you can connect these verses in your mind.

Edited by ImamAliLover

i dont have any tips for you as they have already been said, sorry.

But i want to wish you all the best, insha'Allah you and the other people in this forum succeed in memorising the Qur'an and its meaning. I want to learn arabic when im older insha'Allah but i think memorising the holy Qur'an is out of reach for me.

Anyways good luck and insha'Allah you will succeed. wassalaam.

Something off-topic but how many of our Maraje have memorised the Quran? I have heard that Ayatollah Seestani or Ayatollah Khamenai (I don't remember which one it was) hasn't. Is that true?

i dont have any tips for you as they have already been said, sorry. But i want to wish you all the best, insha'Allah you and the other people in this forum succeed in memorising the Qur'an and its meaning. I want to learn arabic when im older insha'Allah but i think memorising the holy Qur'an is out of reach for me. Anyways good luck and insha'Allah you will succeed. wassalaam.

Actually, it is better the earlier you start and is also much easier when you start at a young age, as compared to when you are older, both because when you are older, you will have less time and also because, when young, our brains are more receptive and what is learnt at a young age, one can remember his whole life.

Something off-topic but how many of our Maraje have memorised the Quran? I have heard that Ayatollah Seestani or Ayatollah Khamenai (I don't remember which one it was) hasn't. Is that true?

Actually, it is better the earlier you start and is also much easier when you start at a young age, as compared to when you are older, both because when you are older, you will have less time and also because, when young, our brains are more receptive and what is learnt at a young age, one can remember his whole life.

Yh, thats a good point. But at the moment, im doing my ACCA accounting course and theres a lot of information to remember, so i dont think i'll be able to handle memorising both. Thats why i wish to learn arabic after i finish my job and preferably after i get married insha'Allah. But yh, the point you made is true so thank you for your suggestion. was-salaam.

Edited by Hezbollah313(Sameer)

Once again, thank you everyone; Insh'Allah it will be easier for me now.

I know what you mean, but it's best not to put it off and off, as like Khadim said it's easier when your younger.

But thanks for the support :)

Yh, thats a good point. But at the moment, im doing my ACCA accounting course and theres a lot of information to remember, so i dont think i'll be able to handle memorising both. Thats why i wish to learn arabic after i finish my job and preferably after i get married insha'Allah. But yh, the point you made is true so thank you for your suggestion. was-salaam.

(wasalam)

Of course, I understand you are busy but the recommendation is always to do it as early as possible but if it is not possible....

But, yes, I will say that you shouldn't put if off until marriage because, after that, you really won't have time, with all the responsibilities relating to your wife and children.

yh, you both are correct. after finishing madressah (sunday school) i had the option of learning arabic. i decided to learn and paid for the whole year, but unfortunately lost interest after 1 month and stopped going. But yh, iA will learn one day. Thanks for your advice guys.

If you have an iphone, i recommend the best free Quran app: AlQuran --> you can dowload many recitations for free !!

http://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/alquran/id314099174?mt=8

Also i think Al-mufeed's method of reciting backwards is great !! Otherwise you could forget what you've learned before ! (it happens to me)