Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AlAbd AlThaleel

Index Finger And Tashahhud

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

To my Sunni brothers and sisters: I have noticed when doing tashahhud in prayer that many of my Sunni friends often stick out the index finger of their right hand. I have seen the finger being moved around in different ways by different friends, such as one who moved it up and down, another in a circular motion, etc. I was wondering what the purpose of this was, why it is done in prayer, and why different Sunnis do it differently, while Shias do not do it at all.

Fi aman Allah

(bismillah)

(salam)

To my Sunni brothers and sisters: I have noticed when doing tashahhud in prayer that many of my Sunni friends often stick out the index finger of their right hand. I have seen the finger being moved around in different ways by different friends, such as one who moved it up and down, another in a circular motion, etc. I was wondering what the purpose of this was, why it is done in prayer, and why different Sunnis do it differently, while Shias do not do it at all.

Fi aman Allah

Salam.Acording to ther's hadit,they hammers shaytan,by doing that.

^ (wasalam)

Anything about this in our ahadith books?

Not sure,but i belive such thing there is no in our books,speccaly if we have in mind that naratior of hadith is son of Dhubair.Even some of sunni schol's refuse that, as some of Maliki madhab.But Allah know best.

may be they wanna go loooo?

are u trying to be funny? lol

No i dont think its because they need to go to the loo. Some of the say its to hammer shayten, but the majority say that raise their index finger during shahada, because they are referring to Allah as 1....... thats what one of my friends said

The moving up and down and circular motions, I've seen that predominantly, if not exclusively from Salafis and not from Sunnis who follow a particular school of thought. I know that in the Hanafi school the index finger is raised when saying La ilaha ila Allah, and that other schools leave it out thereafter until the the salaams at the end.

No i dont think its because they need to go to the loo. Some of the say its to hammer shayten, but the majority say that raise their index finger during shahada, because they are referring to Allah as 1....... thats what one of my friends said

Salam

-Maliki madhab schollars says that rising finger on tashahud is corrupt act,and who do that,he must repeat Salat

-Hanafi scoolars say that doing it is makruh(ugly)

-Ibn Hajar grand sunni scholar say that hadith narated bay ibn Dhubeir is daif(weak)

-I belive that that is just one more innovation by wahabis.But Allah know best.

may be they wanna go loooo?

:)

Edited by AidAsSadik

off course I was kidding....btw reason what u gave is totally correct

Well, I have not seen Shias do it and, from what I can say, it is not Mustahab either.

The reason for this is that, according to our Fiqh, when reciting our salah, we are supposed to be still and not moving so, if one is to make his finger go round, then you are breaking this rule.

I am not very sure so maybe someone with more knowledge can correct me, if I am wrong! :D

I have heard a couple of reasons (or theories) about it too.

Some say that Sunni Muslims do it to point ahead while saying the salaam on the Prophet (like some Shia Muslims do while reciting Ziaraat).

One other explanation was that the practice started from one of the three false caliph's times when they started to communicate among themselves during prayers in this way (weird, I know!) :)

I don't know what is actually true either.

As far as I remember asking about this to either my mom or dad who are Sunnis, it is because of upholding the unity of Allah

The reason for this is that, according to our Fiqh, when reciting our salah, we are supposed to be still and not moving so, if one is to make his finger go round, then you are breaking this rule.

I highly doubt this, although I agree we shouldn't be moving, however moving a finger should not harm one's salah. Also, Imam Ali (a.s) motioned his finger when a destitute came asking for charity.