Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

My Friend's Breath Smells...

Rate this topic

Mahdiyah

• Advanced Member

Salaam.

I have a class-mate who is also a good friend and for sometime now I have been meaning to make her aware of her poor oral hygiene. I am finding it difficult to tell her and do not want to hurt her feelings atall but at the same time as a friend am concerned for her and would like her to know about this so she can take measures needed hence should somone else tell her in an unpolite way! But how can I make her aware of this without hurting her feelings?

• Advanced Member

I went to her house a few days ago and her Mother kindly made us dinner, it was Pilaw rice with salad. Normally in a salad there is plenty of greens or whatever raw veg one likes and sometimes abit of onions is added, I mean if onions are included in a salad then maybe one sees a few pieces of fresh crispy onions but this salad was all onions with a few pieces of carrots and cucumber - the total opposite! Infact the salad was almost entirely made of onions itself with just a few pieces of other veg in some salty dressing thus after awhile the onions became very soggy and the odour I cannot mention. My friend said it was called something like 'Kachumbar'! It is a popular S Asian salad dish. So literally it was a salty onion salad with abit of veg. I further was amazed that my friend many times with her fingers took out some salad straight from the salad bowl, squeezed the excess fluid from it and put the onions straight into her mouth... and continued with her meal. This was the cause of her poor oral hygiene! I figured it out but how can I make her aware. I dont want to tell ner as I cannot hurt her feelings but I wish to bring it to her attention.

Guest Monad

Find an article or something similar* and use that as a context to allow insinuation.

* ( youtube vides?, scurvy?, you visiting the dentist as you have the same issue? brushing twice a day recommended, etc )

• Advanced Member

Your questions are fine but your follow-up details about your friends are sometimes gross :sick:

You can tell her straight away if the smell is from onions. Just jokingly said "Hey, did you just ate onion or something"

But if her breath smells everyday, then you should probably start with asking her if she has an issue with her teeth or gum. Generally some people sometimes have smelly breath because they have issues with their gum so they really need to see a dentist to get it fix.

Edited by Gypsy

• Advanced Member

I went to her house a few days ago and her Mother kindly made us dinner, it was Pilaw rice with salad. Normally in a salad there is plenty of greens or whatever raw veg one likes and sometimes abit of onions is added, I mean if onions are included in a salad then maybe one sees a few pieces of fresh crispy onions but this salad was all onions with a few pieces of carrots and cucumber - the total opposite! Infact the salad was almost entirely made of onions itself with just a few pieces of other veg in some salty dressing thus after awhile the onions became very soggy and the odour I cannot mention. My friend said it was called something like 'Kachumbar'! It is a popular S Asian salad dish. So literally it was a salty onion salad with abit of veg. I further was amazed that my friend many times with her fingers took out some salad straight from the salad bowl, squeezed the excess fluid from it and put the onions straight into her mouth... and continued with her meal. This was the cause of her poor oral hygiene! I figured it out but how can I make her aware. I dont want to tell ner as I cannot hurt her feelings but I wish to bring it to her attention.

aah, kachumbar, i thought it was khoja dish, but anyways, yh i have that with pilaw and with biryani. nom nom nom, but my breath doesnt smell bad, maybe because i dont eat alot of it.

But, back to ur problem, if there is a good ocassion coming up i.e. her b'day, anniversary, maulood, then give her bulk amount of chewing gum or mints as a present. :shaytan:

If your not able to do that, then maybe speak to her mum, and let her know about it. ask her to speak to ur friend and ask her not to say that u told her about this, that way, problem gets solved and u wont be embarassed. hope that helps sis.

Edited by Hezbollah313(Sameer)

• Advanced Member

aah, kachumbar, i thought it was khoja dish, but anyways, yh i have that with pilaw and with biryani. nom nom nom, but my breath doesnt smell bad, maybe because i dont eat alot of it.

But, back to ur problem, if there is a good ocassion coming up i.e. her b'day, anniversary, maulood, then give her bulk amount of chewing gum or mints as a present. :shaytan:

If your not able to do that, then maybe speak to her mum, and let her know about it. ask her to speak to ur friend and ask her not to say that u told her about this, that way, problem gets solved and u wont be embarassed. hope that helps sis.

ah yes

khoja's and kachumber...lol

u dont seem to be south asian urself from ur description/

no problem, basically carry some 'paan' with you and stuff it in her mouth before she starts talking.

this is paan: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Bangladesh/South/Khulna/Jessore/photo627479.htm

this stuff tastes great and is sure to make her breath very sweet smelling, also tell her to miswak!

• Advanced Member

Jus jealous coz ur wife doesn't cook any for ya.. LOSER... And where hav u disappeared to.. imma punch you .. so get urself bak on.. Jus coz india are getting battered dont mean u hav to hide away :P

Its all the curry you eat!

Any dentists around here who have solutions.. coz i reckon mine does too :(

I went to my dentist yesterday she didnt even say anything.. :wacko: lol i was like ehhh.. shes just like brruussh properly..! m like okay.. :huh:

• Advanced Member

ah yes

khoja's and kachumber...lol

u dont seem to be south asian urself from ur description/

no problem, basically carry some 'paan' with you and stuff it in her mouth before she starts talking.

this is paan: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/Bangladesh/South/Khulna/Jessore/photo627479.htm

this stuff tastes great and is sure to make her breath very sweet smelling, also tell her to miswak!

Yh, I am a khoja. :)

As for the paan, it might sweeten it up a bit, but the pieces of sopari are hard to chew and plus the little bits get stuck between the teeth, does not look good. Plus its not good for ur health, because I think sopari is made out of tree bits or suttin.

Edited by Hezbollah313(Sameer)

• Advanced Member

lol us guys have it quite lucky

if my friend's breath stank i'd straight up tell him he required some airwaves

maybe u should just carry some chewing gum with you and offer it to her everytime ur around her

Salaam.

Thankyou Bro. This seems ok. I think I will try it! She is soon going to have a marriage proposal so I must before they are introduced.

Carry from mints or gum with you and offer her some casually... Maybe she'll understand the indirect message? I don't think I would ever have the guts to tell someone "your breath smells..."

Salaam.

Thanks for understanding the situation I am in.

What is this 'paan' thing? Is it sweet or savoury?

Edited by Mahdiyah

• Veteran Member

Tbh if i was you i'd probably email her, just because its easier to say stuff when youre not in front of someone and you can make sure you say it the right way. You could do it like you found an article online about bad breath and gum disease and you were worried she might have it and not realise and suggest she go to her dentist to check. And then just say how you hope bringing it up doesnt upset her but that you'd want her to tellyou if you had something similar etc. I'd only say something if it was really bad though and you think other ppl might notice and might be mean to her about it.

GL!

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

Beg her to go to the dentist to get her teeth cleaned before the "marriage proposal" introduction. If there is a problem, the dentist will tell her. Then she will be serious and do what the dentist says. InshaAllah

• Advanced Member

What is this 'paan' thing? Is it sweet or savoury?

Its sweet, but not too sweet and it has many little things which can get stuck between ther teeth and are also hard to chew. so i wouldnt reccommend it.

• Advanced Member

Salaam fellow Brs and Srs.

Thank you for all your replies and concerns. Al-Hamdulillah my friend has got the message, how? Well as I said I wished to make her aware without telling her because I did not wish to hurt her feelings and I acheived this by deliberately offering her mints or chewing gums frequently as such that towards the end of the week she got the message and started bringing her own mouth fresheners. Now that it has come to her attention I am sure she will take further means to sort herself ie check her diet, go to the dentist etc.

xxxxx Mahdiyah Khanam

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Sister Mahdiyah,

That was very nice of you to help your friend. Mash'Allah you are sincere and sweet for caring about others. Your parents raised you well, Mash'Allah.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla

• Advanced Member

Okay, when you were describing kuchumbar, it was hilarious!!! It's not a salad, ew and I don't eat a lot of it (because of the onions).

Why don't you both do the breath test. That is, you lick the inside of your wrist and when it dries, you smell your wrist. (Be careful, it's really nastyyyy) If it smells bad, you have a lot of bacteria in your mouth and both of you should make a pact to have proper oral hygiene.

• 8 months later...