Sign in to follow this  
neotherios

Question Regarding The Possession Of Mercy

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the most merciful. May He ward misconceptions from our souls and help us attain certainty.

ßóÊóÈó Úóáóì äóÝúÓöåö ÇáÑóøÍúãóÉó

He has decreed upon Himself Mercy.

(6-12)

The question is based upon the attribute of Mercy. It is commonly known that Allah has created humanity out of His Mercy. Therefore,

Since we say Allah has created everything out of His Mercy, I raise two questions:

1) Is the attribute of Mercy created by Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì?

2) If it is a creation, why did Allah allow it to partake in His actions?

i.e. Does Mercy govern Allah or does Allah govern Mercy?

If Allah governs Mercy, then Allah does not need to create because of "His Mercy."

If Mercy governs Allah, then there is a flaw in our understanding, which needs immediate attention, of the Most High, Most Merciful.

Please, any opinions or elaborations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(wasalam)

nice question.

God is Himself Mercy --Infinite Mercy. Mercy is His nature (it is what He is). And He creates because His Mercy is so much (so Infinite) that it overflows from Himself and shows itself even as many finite ways. Like an infinite source of water for a fountain or a spring that cannot but gush forth.

So this is why God obligated mercy upon Himself because His mercy is so much that it cannot but be expressed by also showing itself as the creation. This is why God created out of His Mercy.

Edited by eThErEaL

(bismillah)

In The Name of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì, The Most Beneficent, The Most Merciful.

(salam)

One of the types of Tawheed is Tawheed as-Sifaati, which basically denotes that The Attributes of Allah (SWT) and The Essence of Allah (SWT) are both the same such that neither the is there are The Attributes and The Essence of Allah (SWT) apart and nor are the individual Attributes different from one another.

Here is a little "essay" which I had read sometime ago:

http://www.scribd.com/muhammed_kanji/d/75311059-A-Short-Discourse-on-the-Unlimited-One

Although it is not very deep and philosophical, under the title "God and His Attributes", it does give a basic explanation of the concept.

Since the Attribute - Mercy - is not different from The Essence, then your questions don't hold anymore, because they are based on the premise that the two are different while this is not the case.

INSHALLAH, I have been helpful and clear and objective in my reasoning.

May Allah (SWT) bless us all, our families and loved ones, may He guide us all to The Straight Path with His Perfect Guidance and may He, The Forgiver of Sins and The Oft-Forgiving, forgive all our sins for, verily, there is neither any refuge nor any respite for the sinners, except in Allah (SWT) .

(bismillah)

eThereal and Kadhim uz zahra, I appreciate your quick replies.

"Mercy is His Nature" I love this quote, you summarized everything in just 4 words B)

However, I needed some detailed explanation, so I greatly appreciate your effort Kadhim uz Zahra helping me on the task. May Allah bless you.

Imam Ali:

The perfection of His purity is to deny Him attributes, because every attribute is a proof that it is different from that to which it is attributed, and everything to which something is attributed is different from the attribute. Thus, whoever attaches attributes to Allah recognises His like, and whoever recognises His likeregards Him as two, and whoever regards Him as two recognises parts for Him,and whoever recognises parts for Him has mistaken Him. (Nahj al-Balaghah,Sermon 1)

((Moreover, if we were to count them as Ever Existing and at the same time consider them to be external to His Essence, we would be saying that His Existence has number since it constitutes of His Essence plus His Attributes and by saying this,would be eradicating the basis of Tawhid (monotheism).))

How I was heedless of Imam Ali, what a divine character! They give us the best explanations of everything!

Glory to Allah, The Absolute!

والسلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته