Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Christianlady

"...why I'm Lucky To Live In America, Not Iran"

Rate this topic

Hello,

I just searched for Iranians in America, and found this article:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/free-speech-why-im-lucky-to-live-in-america-not-iran/11176

Is this true that free speech is prohibited in Iran? I boldened some in the article below.

Peace and God bless you

"Free speech: Why I'm lucky to live in America, not Iran

By David Gewirtz | February 21, 2012, 5:00am PST

Summary: The big reason we’re better: they don’t execute you for blogging in America. Sometimes your page rank goes down, but it’s not quite the same thing.

Yesterday was President’s Day here in the United States. It’s a strange little holiday, in part because even what’s being celebrated is unclear both legislatively, and between the states and federal government.

Briefly, the holiday is and always has been officially Washington’s Birthday, celebrating the birth of our first president, George Washington. And even that has some degree of controversy, because when ol’ George was born, it was on February 11, 1732, according to the Julian calendar. But when the Gregorian calendar was adopted in 1752, the date George popped in the world suddenly became February 22.

And then there’s Lincoln. When I grew up, we got a day off from school for Washington’s birthday and another for Abe Lincoln’s. Apparently, we were particularly bratty back in New Jersey, and the state did everything it could to get away from us little monsters, including celebrating two holidays in the same month.

In any case, sometime in the late sixties, having nothing better to do with its time, Congress decided to stick all federal holidays on Mondays and somehow combined Washington’s birthday with Lincoln’s and thus begat President’s Day. The only problem is that although most Americans think we’re celebrating President’s Day, we’re not. The holiday is still officially Washington’s Birthday, Lincoln’s birthday has been conveniently lost, and well, you get the idea. Your tax dollars at work.

So how does this all bring us to Iran? If you’ve been following Violet Blue’s excellent reporting on the crackdown on bloggers and social networkers in Iran, you’ll begin to understand how severe censorship can get in a truly regressive and repressive society. It’s deeply disturbing.

There’s not even any tangible evidence of wrongdoing, and it’s likely web site operators and bloggers will be put to death, and that’s after torture.

Now, contrast that with the United States. Yesterday, I ran a very tongue-in-cheek gallery honoring some of our favorite presidents. Well, honoring them is probably going too far. Mostly, I mocked.

I imagined what pick-up lines would have been like for James Buchanan, our only bachelor president. I called Ronald Reagan a moderate and then proceeded to lampoon not just Newt Gingrich (low hanging fruit) but even Mitt Romney. I went to town with Bill Clinton and a company called Cigar Monster. I mentioned a blow-up Karl Rove doll and did a mission-accomplished dig with George W. Bush. And I even questioned the effectiveness of the current sitting president.

In Iran, they’d be pulling off my fingernails by now.

I was helped by other editors here at ZDNet, who gathered images and some background information. In Iran, their families would have been rounded up for questioning by now.

You know what happened after I went full monty mocking our leaders? You know what happens to me whenever I go fully monty mocking our leaders? Do you have any idea how often I mock our leaders? It’s virtually a full-time job. And, well, it’s not really full monty. I wear sweatpants.

The worst that ever happens is I get ignored. Sometimes readers get cranky. And then, on good days, I get a call from a staffer in a Congressman’s office, a chief-of-staff in an admiral’s office, or a special agent in charge from a three-letter law enforcement agency.

I don’t even get yelled at by these people (well, not counting our readers). But our government representatives often tell me how fun they find my writing. Sometimes, they’re nice enough to point me to additional information, or why they think my characterization of “their guy” is a little too harsh. Once in a while, I get asked to do some pro-bono advisory work.

In no case has anyone threatened to put me to death (well, not counting our readers). In no case has any federal official asked me to change my story, edit my story, or censor my story. Now, to be fair, I have access to a lot of sensitive information and have never published anything which is restricted. That’s part of why I’m trusted with sensitive information.

But, back to the point. In Iran, if you complain slightly or even are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you’re tortured and executed. Here, you’re either ignored or sent some white papers to read.

Many of you have wondered why I’m so pro-America in my writing, how I can possibly love a nation so flawed in so many fundamental ways. Well, now you know.

America is great because we have freedom of speech. The big reason we’re better: they don’t execute you for blogging in America. Sometimes your page rank goes down, but it’s not quite the same thing.

But — before you think I’m getting too jingoistic (look it up) — I need to point out a disturbing trend once again. The American government and American government policy is not trying to censor any of us. But lobbyists are. Special interests are. The companies we buy our tunes and flicks from are trying to censor us, and they don’t care how far they have to go to shut down our cherished free speech.

Think about that the next time a SOPA or a PIPA comes up as a bill. Is censoring us more like America or more like Iran?

I’m proud to be an American, but I’m not exactly thrilled with our lobbyists."

OP -> Is this true that free speech is prohibited in Iran? I boldened some in the article below.

Every culture and country have some sensitivities.

Obviously you can be anti-government, anti-regime, and can and do things different from the the majority beliefs of the poeple. But they are not going to tolerate your right of free speech if you start shouting slogans against Islam, Prophets, Islamic scholars, or against the stability of the Iranian democracy, that is actively seeking to overthrow the regime taking money from USA etc.

Now the "free speech" in USA, yes we have free speech as long as you do not be extremely vocal about certain things. What are those certain things, go and openly talk against the atrocities and genecides that Israel is doing against Arabs, go to NewYork and shout in the middle of a mall to what extent AIPAC is manipulating our people and our country in fighting Israel's wars in American blood and in American money. Ever heard of the term "McCarthyism", coined and used (or I say misused) in USA more than anywhere - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

I'm not saying what is right and what is worng. All I'm saying is :Kettle can not call the Pot black".

Iran = Repression

I rather live in Africa than Iran.

Hello El Cid,

Have you ever been to Iran? I haven't. I am thankful though to have been born in the USA and to have the freedoms here. I am glad that Muslims have freedoms here in the USA too!

Peace and God bless you

Hello El Cid,

Have you ever been to Iran? I haven't. I am thankful though to have been born in the USA and to have the freedoms here. I am glad that Muslims have freedoms here in the USA too!

Peace and God bless you

Nah, I havn't. God forbid I ever do. What freedom in the USA btw? :P You get pulled over for driving 50 in the 51 lane.

OP -> Is this true that free speech is prohibited in Iran? I boldened some in the article below.

Every culture and country have some sensitivities.

Hello Waiting for Him,

Sensitivies mean ? please?

Obviously you can be anti-government, anti-regime, and can and do things different from the the majority beliefs of the poeple.

How is it obvious that you can be anti-government, anti-regime, and do things differently than the majority beliefs in Iran?

But they are not going to tolerate your right of free speech if you start shouting slogans against Islam, Prophets, Islamic scholars,

I understand how it bothers Muslims for Non Muslims to insult Islam. It bothers me when Muslims insult the prophets whose accounts are recorded in the Bible, and insult Christian beliefs. However, it is their right to do so and it is my right to be bothered about it and tell what I believe. God is the Judge however, not me.

or against the stability of the Iranian democracy,

the stability of the Iranian democracy depends on the democratic values that Iran upholds.

that is actively seeking to overthrow the regime

Is the current regime in Iran perfect? If you don't think so but are not willing to answer that, I now understand why. I can freely say that the "regime" in the USA is not perfect and has not been perfect for a long time, fact is, it has never been perfect. The oppression my government has done against Native Americans and African Americans for a long time is appalling and wrong. I am glad that my government is learning more and more what not to do. I also hope my government changes and stops invading other countries.

taking money from USA etc.

Do you mean like selling oil to the USA?

Now the "free speech"in USA, yes we have free speech as long as you do not be extremely vocal about certain things. What are those certain things, go and openly talk against the atrocities and genecides that Israel is doing against Arabs, go to NewYork and shout in the middle of a mall to what extent AIPAC is manipulating our people and our country in fighting Israel's wars in American blood and in American money.  Ever heard of the term "McCarthyism", coined and used (or I say misused) in USA more than anywhere - [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism"]http://en.wikipedia....iki/McCarthyism[/url]

If a person goes to anyplace and just starts shouting, you will have people shouting back. That is normal. There are, however, people who are openly talking about these things, and they are not tortured for doing so. One help is to learn how to talk to people of different areas. If a person threatens other people, you can be sure those threats will be taken seriously. Sad to say, many people who are against others hate those people they are against and sometimes act aggressively on their hatred and hurt people. Thank God, people who commit hate crimes against Muslims in the USA are called into account for doing so.

I'm not saying what is right and what is worng. All I'm saying is :Kettle can not call the Pot black".

Do you have more freedom of speech in the USA (or UK or Canada) or in Iran?

Thank you for your courteous post. I understand your points, though I don't agree with them.

Peace and God bless you

Nah, I havn't. God forbid I ever do. What freedom in the USA btw? :P You get pulled over for driving 50 in the 51 lane.

Hello El Cid,

Lol. It depends where you live. I currently live in Florida, and here in Florida it's an unspoken rule to go over the speed limit it seems!

Peace and God bless you

There is a freedom of speech in Iran, but if you use freedom of speech just to talk bad about another person (well-known) publicly then the right of freedom of speech will be taken away from you. However if you have an issue with a person (well-know) and you make it clear to the public then you have the right of freedom of speech.

Imagine now you were in the UK, suddenly you go in front of the BBC camera and you swear all about the Queen of England, then ofcourse your freedom of speech will be taken away from that person and also probably be tortured in the prison

There is a freedom of speech in Iran, but if you use freedom of speech just to talk bad about another person (well-known) publicly then the right of freedom of speech will be taken away from you. However if you have an issue with a person (well-know) and you make it clear to the public then you have the right of freedom of speech.

Hello Fahimah18,

About talking bad about another person, does that include disagreeing with the Iranian government?

Imagine now you were in the UK, suddenly you go in front of the BBC camera and you swear all about the Queen of England, then ofcourse your freedom of speech will be taken away from that person and also probably be tortured in the prison

I would hope no torture!!! :( Sad to say, long time ago, torture was done against people who didn't obey the king or queen. However, now I would think it would just be a reprimand and the curses edited out. It is true that curses and bad language are edited out of many shows because rude language is not considered appropriate in many settings. However, in one's own home and in other settings, people can curse and be as rude and vulgar and crude as they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of the people who listen. Some people like hearing others curse and be all rude. Why, I don't know.

Anyways, those are good points you have brought up. So, do you think this article is not accurate then? Also, have the bloggers mentioned in

http://www.zdnet.com...or-netizens/981

not truly been arrested?

Thanks.

Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

“Yes, we are reactionaries, and you are enlightened intellectuals: You intellectuals do not want us to go back 1400 years. You, who want freedom, freedom for everything, the freedom of parties, you who want all the freedoms, you intellectuals: freedom that will corrupt our youth, freedom that will pave the way for the oppressor, freedom that will drag our nation to the bottom.”

Imam Khomeini

Hello Fahimah18,

About talking bad about another person, does that include disagreeing with the Iranian government?

Yes it does also include disaagreing with the government, but ofcourse the reasons must be reasonable and valid. You can't just go and say I dont like this government because its a muslim government.

For example you think the age to reach pension is too high and its not fair to the people. You can call the media and have a grand polite speech, unto why you dont agree with them on this decisions.

Lets take me as an example, I think that privatising the health care in the UK is not a good idea and its not fair on most people, so does that mean I have to go in front of TV and swear at David Cameron. Well ofcourse not, maybe David Cameron has made this decision but if many people are against it (having a polite speech unto why they are against it rather than swearing at David Cameron) then the decision can be changed.

“Yes, we are reactionaries, and you are enlightened intellectuals: You intellectuals do not want us to go back 1400 years. You, who want freedom, freedom for everything, the freedom of parties, you who want all the freedoms, you intellectuals: freedom that will corrupt our youth, freedom that will pave the way for the oppressor, freedom that will drag our nation to the bottom.”

Imam Khomeini

Ayatollah Khomeini has said this but there are limits, so if Iran is privatises the healthcare, are people not allowed to protest??

Yes it does also include disaagreing with the government, but ofcourse the reasons must be reasonable and valid. You can't just go and say I dont like this government because its a muslim government.

For example you think the age to reach pension is too high and its not fair to the people. You can call the media and have a grand polite speech, unto why you dont agree with them on this decisions.

Lets take me as an example, I think that privatising the health care in the UK is not a good idea and its not fair on most people, so does that mean I have to go in front of TV and swear at David Cameron. Well ofcourse not, maybe David Cameron has made this decision but if many people are against it (having a polite speech unto why they are against it rather than swearing at David Cameron) then the decision can be changed.

Hello Fahimah18,

Good points. I absolutely agree. However, if a person is not courteous and is rude and swears at somebody or insults somebody, that does not warrant arrest and torture or death, yes? It does warrant a reprimand and a fine or (as in the case in the USA, those who are rude often lose their jobs) but they should not be put in jail and should definitely not be tortured or murdered for insulting anyone. Do you agree? If not, why? Thanks.

Peace and God bless you

In Iran you can say that there's no homos there, and you can also say the holocaust figure was a sham. Try saying that in the US!

How do you know that there are none in Iran? Just because Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says so? Have you interviewed, judged every person living in Iran? With the amount of repression there in society and sexual deviance, I am sure there are some.

Many U.S writers have writen books about the "Holocaust being a sham" ^_^

Good day

wasalam

Hello Fahimah18,

Good points. I absolutely agree. However, if a person is not courteous and is rude and swears at somebody or insults somebody, that does not warrant arrest and torture or death, yes?

it depends on the persons morals, if a person is generous, then that person will speak so soft to the person who has cursed him/her. It depends on the person, for example in UK, the Queen thinks high of herself so if I swear at her publicly then she will imprison me definitley...lol

It does warrant a reprimand and a fine or (as in the case in the USA, those who are rude often lose their jobs) but they should not be put in jail and should definitely not be tortured or murdered for insulting anyone. Do you agree? If not, why? Thanks.

For this question my answer is the same as above, depends on the person.

Peace and God bless you

Watch this short video, you might understand what I mean:

This is how a real follower of Ahle byte (as) should behave, when they are being cursed

Edited by fahimah18

I highly recommend you read the links in my signature.

The press is systematically repressed in Iran and often newspapers or anything else opposing the regieme are shut down. Quite often too the people running these press outlets are imprisoned which is clearly unacceptable.

You can also read the latest report on freedom of religion in Iran here - http://www.state.gov...tion/171734.pdf

I trust after all these things you should know a little bit more about the issue.

Is he actually saying freedom is bad? I mean really... i thought he was respectable at least. Nothing can be further from the truth, freedom is never bad for a society, atleast the kind of freedoms that are oppressed in Iran in the present day.

Yeah...Sweden...Australia...New Zealand...Norway..Iceland....Finland...Real ghettos and [Edited Out]py places to live...the freedom clearly dragged their nation to the bottom...those places are real international ghettos...oh wait..

Edited by kingpomba

In Iran you can say that there's no homos there, and you can also say the holocaust figure was a sham. Try saying that in the US!

You can still say that in the US with no legal repercussions. It's just that people will think you're either insane or a half-wit.j

Edited by Cervantes

America, after having viewed the success of popularity of communist leaders in North Korea during the Korean war, realized that the only way it could counter the type of popularity by grand leaders of a charismatic leadership, who are genuinely loved by their people was to brainwash people, in a large country like America, where there is massive dissent and unregulated opinion, this was seen as necessary against the expansion of communism. RAND corporation and many other think tanks started research on the brain, along with many social/psychologists started massive tests on the brain, giving electric shocks to people and trying to figure out how they could get the same type of submission from humans, with the critical population that existed during that time and the constant instability.

Out of this emerged a class of realpolitiker that was determined to turn Americans into fat, submissive, ignorant, uninformed and uncritical herds. Herds that will only criticise America's enemy, and will never talk about undermining their own regime.

The electric shocks were a failure, many people lost many parts of their memory, and it became too obvious they were subjected to massive 'brainwashing'. It was not genuine, the project was abandoned.

After this, American regime sought to seek a totalitarian method of media propaganda, with organizations and institutions that claim to be independent, while getting their cue from the regime. Remember those commercials of toothpaste where the 'doctor' with his white robe was telling you how scientifically effective the paste was? Wrong, he was just getting his paycheck.

The American regime realized that once you give Americans the 'illusion' something was independent, they will believe it, with only a minority that shows dissent, television shows and personalities, Non-governmental organizations, anchors, institutions, think tanks, were deployed, sometimes created from thin air to manufacture consent in a totalitarian society. In the meanwhile, when communists were gaining the hearts and minds of Europeans, and subsequently America, the regime started a massive propaganda campaign, called the "Containment Plan" where large amounts of money were used to impose anti-communist views among the American herds, whilst overthrowing pro-socialist governments around the world, including in Europe.

The average American will look at his television conglomerate media, newspapers, radio owned by grey, white rich men who are interconnected with their murderous regime, they will tell the population Iran is evil, then that person might go further and hear it from various sources, then alleged 'human rights organizations', leftists, right wingers, even 'Iranian exiles' will bombard them with propaganda of how evil Iran is, eventually that dufus, called the American citizen, will start believing the saturation that has become so common.

The bombardment itself manufactures the consent for Americans. So it is not a matter of whether Iran has free speech, it's that elsewhere in America, there is no free thought, let alone free speech.

Edited by bolbol

Hello El Cid,

Peace and God bless you

You brag and boast about freedom. Yet you don't talk about the atrocities that happened in this country. The freedom they took away from local Americans. Fred Hampton was an African American. He was an American like you and I. And just because he wanted to improve Black neighborhoods peacefully and through education.

They murdered him.

This is what they had to say about him. You will never find anything this disgusting and immoral in Iran:

We expected about twenty Panthers to be in the apartment when the police raided the place. Only two of those black niggers were killed, Fred Hampton and Mark Clark."

—FBI Special Agent Gregg York

Imam Khomeini

That is not exactly brilliant you know, those same freedoms bring many good things to include France's freedom which allowed him to express his Ideas while he lived there. Isn't it interesting that of all the countries he could have gone to he went to the West?

This goes along way to explain what happened to Iranian thinkers in the earlly 80s.

I am having a hard time uderstanding you, are you sure about this or is it sarcasm?

" then ofcourse your freedom of speech will be taken away from that person and also probably be tortured in the prison"

Are you that far from reality. You can say what you like in America but try and get a book telling the truth published in Iran. You canstand on the busiest cornor in America and call the President a blood sucking pig but you can't do that in Iran.

You brag and boast about freedom. Yet you don't talk about the atrocities that happened in this country. The freedom they took away from local Americans. Fred Hampton was an African American. He was an American like you and I. And just because he wanted to improve Black neighborhoods peacefully and through education.

They murdered him.

This is what they had to say about him. You will never find anything this disgusting and immoral in Iran:

We expected about twenty Panthers to be in the apartment when the police raided the place. Only two of those black niggers were killed, Fred Hampton and Mark Clark."

—FBI Special Agent Gregg York

Indeed America has had to come a long way. But please see Iran for what it is, political trials with allowing defense lawyers in and harassing and driving defense attorneys out of the country, show trials, jailing people without trial until they sign a confession not because they are guilty but to simply make it end give us a break.

How did you like the way the IRI and its thugs er basiji treated the students in 2009?

Is this an episode from the twilight zone where everything is backwards?

Well, I guess the African American soldier shot dead a few days ago would have been happier in Iran, where the police do not routinely shoot dead black people "by mistake", again and again and again. Not to mention Iran treats its soldiers better.

In short, if you are a loyal Iranian, you will have no problems in Iran. However, if you are a traitor who wants Iran to be invaded and destroyed by its enemies, then you will not have any freedoms there and rightly so. When on a ship, I do not have the "freedom" to drill a hole in the bottom, even if I only stay in my allotted room and do not go outside it.

"In short, if you are a loyal Iranian, you will have no problems in Iran"

That means if you walk lock step, don't ask too many questions and you are the majority religion.

Edited by satyaban

Threads like these only cause division. Pretty lame, offensive to Iranians and has nothing to do with this subforums actual title.

Hello Izrail,

I apologize if this thread offends Iranians. I would hope that anybody reading it would understand that the author, David Gewirtz, of the article "...Why I'm lucky to live in America, not Iran" is not a little boy involved in a competition of my daddy is stronger than yours with another child, but rather is a highly intelligent man who strives to get attention with his blogs to help people who are experiencing injustice. If a person uses critical thinking skills, one can see that this author is drawing attention to Iranians who are experiencing presecution. He mentions the following in his article, clearly hoping people will read it:

"So how does this all bring us to Iran? If you’ve been following Violet Blue’s excellent reporting on the crackdown on bloggers and social networkers in Iran, you’ll begin to understand how severe censorship can get in a truly regressive and repressive society. It’s deeply disturbing.

In order to continue with critical thinking skills, one would naturally then go read Violet Blue's article concerning these Iranians. I boldened some of her article. Both her and David's articles are found on zdnet/blog:

"Iran’s Deadly Cyber Police: Indefinite Detention and Execution for Netizens

By Violet Blue | February 16, 2012, 3:42am PST

Summary: Iran’s terrifying campaign against the internet and netizens is about to go full-throttle with the country’s own intranet.

Iran’s recent death sentence of a developer and internet traffic throttling are only part of Iran’s wider campaign against bloggers, technology, and the free-flowing information of the internet.

iran_computer.jpg

In mid-January it was reported that web developer Saeed Malekpour had been sentenced to death in Iran for allegedly building and maintaining porn websites.

UPDATE 02.17.12 PST 2:25: Despite opposition, Iran has set to schedule Malekpour’s execution and it is in the final stage within the Iranian court system. His death sentence has been fast-tracked, despite the fact he did not work on a porn website (as per his accusation and charges).

His case has just been transferred to Iranian’s judicial arena that is responsible for following through with death sentences (The Circuit Court for Execution of sentences).

This news is being called “a lethal abuse of the law.” According to his attorneys Malekpour’s death may happen “at any moment.” /End update

The developer had been jailed secretly for over a year in solitary confinement and says he endured electrocutions, beatings, and removal of his teeth with pliers to elicit a “confession.”

Malekpour, a Canadian citizen, had actually only contributed to a script as part of a generic website photo uploader.

According to Malekpour’s wife Mrs. Eftekhari, the Iranian court charges for his alleged involvement with a pornographic website included:

Propaganda against the regime, operating immoral web sites, insulting divine principles, insulting the president, relations with groups that oppose the regime, being contact with foreigners. In general, these are known as the “corrupt on the earth.”

The shorthand is that he was charged with “Waging war against God” and sentenced to death.

iran-saeed-malekpour.png

At the end of January the U.S. State Department issued a statement that the developer had not received due process, while outcry for Malekpour’s release began to be heard around the world.

He is still in prison awaiting execution.

Malekpour was not arrested alone.

The web developer and IT professionals Vahid Asghari and Ahmad Reza Hasempour were arrested at the same time.

They were targeted because they were seen as capable of hosting, or assisting with the building of websites. Each were sentenced to death last month.

Widespread arrests and Iran’s own National Internet

It was reported that widespread arrests of human rights activists across Iran were, according to the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps, in conjunction with a “certain network of individuals being involved in a network of decadence on the internet.”

In early 2011, Iran’s top police chief was quoted by the AP as saying that “Cyber Police” forces were on the ground in major cities to guard against internet threats and curb Western influences.

At the opening of a new police headquarters in the Shiite seminary city of Qom Gen. Ismail Ahmadi Moghaddam said,

“There is no time to wait. We will have cyber police all over Iran.”

By September 2011, pro-government Iranian news outlet Mashregh News stated that Iran was building a “cyber army” of 250,000 people “aimed at combating corruption on the Internet” and “external penetrations from the West.”

The Mashregh News report related that “The national Internet is the last step in this cyber war: Iran wants its own network.”

Indeed: last March Iran announced the launch of its multimillion dollar project to build an Iranian intranet.

“The Iranian Revolution Guards are the arm for monitoring cyberspace,” the report said. “This especially powerful branch of Iran’s armed forces took control of the national institution responsible for networks in 2009.”

IRG was taking full control just after the beginning of widespread internet-related arrests, like Malekpour - and many more.

State-controlled internet access

In early January 2012, Iran’s Cyber Police began surveillance on users of internet cafes, including the installation of video cameras and tracking users’ names, father’s names, and users’ complete digital footprints.

At the same time, Iranian internet users claimed the government had blocked numerous websites and access to VPNs.

Last week the Iranian government had blocked all encrypted traffic, notably through the Tor anonymizing network. Tor endeavored and its traffic was back online by Sunday.

But since February 10, over 30 million Iranians have been unable to access Gmail and other Google services (as well as Microsoft’s free Hotmail service), according to confirmation by Bloomberg.

The Wall Street Journal recognized the new internet cafe clampdown as part of the Iranian Cyber Police wider agenda, saying:

The network slowdown likely heralds the arrival of an initiative Iran has been readying—a “halal” domestic intranet that it has said will insulate its citizens from Western ideology and un-Islamic culture, and eventually replace the Internet.

This week’s slowdown came amid tests of the Iranian intranet, according to domestic media reports that cited a spokesman for a union of computer-systems firms. He said the intranet is set to go live within a few weeks.

Taken together, the moves represent Iran’s boldest attempts to control flows of online information.

But this isn’t just a tale about state-run internet censorship. Or a government gearing up for March elections - though that is certainly part of this deeply troubling story.

Execution and indefinite detention for bloggers and netizens

Amnesty International recently raised the alarm that Iran is targeting for execution a growing number of media workers because of their work on the internet.

Amnesty writes,

Iranian authorities continue their crackdown on bloggers and other users of the internet.

The Supreme Court’s [Malekpour] decision comes as the Iranian government is stepping up its targeting of internet users in a crackdown on freedom of expression ahead of the Iranian parliamentary elections in March. (…)

Blogger Vahid Asghari, who had been studying information and computer technology in India prior to his arrest in 2008, and website administrator Ahmad Reza Hashempour are also on death row after apparently unfair trials, awaiting execution on internet-related charges.

Dual Iranian and Canadian national, Hossein Derakhshan, known as the “blogfather” for introducing blogging to Iran, is serving a 19 and a half year sentence on internet-related charges.

Under the watch of Iran’s cyber police, men and women have been jailed, tortured and sentenced to death for technology and alleged internet-related crimes.

Scan the Information from the Iran Prisoner List (begun in 2009). You’ll see plenty of arrests and charges for ordinary citizens and: bloggers, webmasters, engineers, website designers, numerous “netizens, ” so-called ”web activists” and computer experts.

Aside from job descriptions, some have been jailed for things ranging from talking about Islam online to “charges related to Facebook use.

They have all been held in Iran’s notorious chamber-of-horrors prison, Evin.

Also at Evin is Hossein Ronaghi Maleki. On December 13, 2009 he was arrested with his brother Hasan and held in solitary for a year, and has reportedly been severely beaten on several occasions to obtain a confession (among other tortures).

hossein-maleki.jpg

Born in 1986, he is a well-known Iranian blogger, IT enthusiast and strong advocate against cyber censorship.

Maleki (pictured at right) apparently did hands-on work to combat internet censorship and bypass filters for free speech - the kind of things the people at Tor do.

He is now facing new charges.

So when you hear me going off in this space about the necessity of pseudonyms in social networks, and real-world consequences for totalitarian censorship, and pornography being used as a foil for silencing speech and creating oppression…

Please do connect the dots."

So again, I apologize if this thread offends anyone. However, I hope people use critical thinking in order to understand that these bloggers are trying to help fellow bloggers in Iran not be put to death. They are trying to raise awareness of the injustice that these Iranians are suffering.

David Gerwitz, by the way, is not afraid to write about what he thinks is injustice concerning what people in the USA are doing either.

Peace and God bless you

I'd be surprised if you have a passport.

Hello Haji,

It is surprising what surprises you. I have a passport and have been to ony 5 different countries, with only one, Belarus, being in the Eastern Hemisphere. I hope if God wills to someday travel with my husband to visit other countries. One dream we have is to visit Israel, to walk where Jesus walked.

Peace and God bless you

I am having a hard time uderstanding you, are you sure about this or is it sarcasm?

" then ofcourse your freedom of speech will be taken away from that person and also probably be tortured in the prison"

Is there is any need to be sarcastic about it, well since you dont believe me, try swearing at the Queen in front of the tv channels (popular tv channels) and then after a year tell me, what you had to go through......

Saeed Malekpour, another pimp paraded as a human rights matter, this time an administrator of three porn sites that is responsible for finding vulnerable Iranian women and posting their videos for paid subscribers.

The ordinary American woman would demand to cut his balls off, but they'e just Iranian women being sold off, if you can make a case off their backs against Iran's government, the ends justify the means right?

Take your filthy State Department's propaganda and get lost.

Edited by bolbol

(bismillah)

(salam)

That Post #26 was long and revealing wasn't it? I wondered why Christianlady came to ShiaChat. I didn't think she came to learn about Islam, because she has been posting Bible verses. Now she has become a supporter for those who are against the government in Iran. She wants to visit Israel. Be sure and visit Gaza, the West Bank, the refugee camps and towns over there. If your hosts can get you permission to go through the locked gates, which I doubt. :donno:

(bismillah)

(salam)

That Post #26 was long and revealing wasn't it? I wondered why Christianlady came to ShiaChat. I didn't think she came to learn about Islam, because she has been posting Bible verses. Now she has become a supporter for those who are against the government in Iran. She wants to visit Israel. Be sure and visit Gaza, the West Bank, the refugee camps and towns over there. If your hosts can get you permission to go through the locked gates, which I doubt. :donno:

I think she wants the world to become Westernized, not even Christian.

If she knew what Christianity was about, she should read about the Molokans of Russia. Those are true Christians who respect the ways of the Old Testament.

If she knew what Christianity was about, she should read about the Molokans of Russia. Those are true Christians who respect the ways of the Old Testament.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Bro, I don't know how she could link up that pic and propaganda article of that porn king. Christianity does not allow pornography. :no:

Threads like these only cause division. Pretty lame, offensive to Iranians and has nothing to do with this subforums actual title.

Or maybe (connecting the dots), that's why Christianlady posted here - to convince ShiaChat members that independence of Iran is evil and Iranians have to be bombed into submission... goes nicely with the 'Potential of an Iran War and a Strategic Analysis' subject.

(I expect retorts that Christianlady is pro-peace; and yeah that's roughly what the American government says too - they have their warships near Iranian waters to 'secure the peace' in that region; both equally laughable).

Or maybe (connecting the dots), that's why Christianlady posted here - to convince ShiaChat members that independence of Iran is evil and Iranians have to be bombed into submission... goes nicely with the 'Potential of an Iran War and a Strategic Analysis' subject.

(I expect retorts that Christianlady is pro-peace; and yeah that's roughly what the American government says too - they have their warships near Iranian waters to 'secure the peace' in that region; both equally laughable).

You sound rather paranoid . Of course... it must be a grand conspiracy...she's obviously an agent planted to brainwash us all..

Leave her alone and pick on someone worthy. She's been much kinder than you have thus far.

This is a disgraceful display.

You all should be ashamed, she didn't even write the words in the news article and people are consistent in attacking her.

Do you realise how hurtful and disrespectful something like this is?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Bro, I don't know how she could link up that pic and propaganda article of that porn king. Christianity does not allow pornography. :no:

Saeed Malekpour, another pimp paraded as a human rights matter, this time an administrator of three porn sites that is responsible for finding vulnerable Iranian women and posting their videos for paid subscribers.

The ordinary American woman would demand to cut his balls off, but they'e just Iranian women being sold off, if you can make a case off their backs against Iran's government, the ends justify the means right?

Take your filthy State Department's propaganda and get lost.

She's been much nicer to you all than you have to her, quite undeservedly too in my opinion.

Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice. 60:8

Sounds a bit hypocritical of you all. Shame.

Edited by kingpomba