Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Iran Cuts Oil Exports To Terrorist Countries

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Nothing short of symbolic at this point:

Iran has halted oil sales to British and French companies, the nation's oil ministry has said.

The French news agency AFP says the decision is not expected to have a big impact. Last year France bought only 3% of its oil - 58,000 barrels per day (b/d) - from Iran and the UK imported even less Iranian oil. A UK government official told the BBC there would be "no impact on UK energy security".

--------------------------------------------------------

Some Iranian media had announced on Wednesday that Iran had stopped oil exports to the Netherlands, Greece, France, Portugal, Spain and Italy in retaliation for the EU's oil embargo, but this was later denied by the oil ministry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-17089953

So, they stopped selling oil only to France and Britain who barely bought any iranian oil anyway...

• Veteran Member

Nothing short of symbolic at this point:

Iran has halted oil sales to British and French companies, the nation's oil ministry has said.

The French news agency AFP says the decision is not expected to have a big impact. Last year France bought only 3% of its oil - 58,000 barrels per day (b/d) - from Iran and the UK imported even less Iranian oil. A UK government official told the BBC there would be "no impact on UK energy security".

--------------------------------------------------------

Some Iranian media had announced on Wednesday that Iran had stopped oil exports to the Netherlands, Greece, France, Portugal, Spain and Italy in retaliation for the EU's oil embargo, but this was later denied by the oil ministry.

So, they stopped selling oil only to France and Britain who barely bought any iranian oil anyway...

It is not about 'barely' who bought, it is about two most evil EU countries.. These 2 countries + Germany have been the ones for most part to provoke EU countries against Iran. Next, in a few days it should and could be Netherlands and Portugal if they don't make deals.. then in another few days it is going to be Spain, and lastly Italy and Greece.. They all might face ban in a matter of 10 days.. It seems that they asked some of their puppets in Iran to prevent this from happening, because it is going to be a big challenge for them and a big political and economical slap on their face...But, hope those Iranians who stand by reason/logic and look for their interests to go ahead with this and do not allow the enemies to work as they wish and as on their schedule!

• Veteran Member

Iran said on Sunday it had halted oil sales to British and French companies ahead of an EU oil embargo set to begin on 1 July. Analysts say the gesture of retaliation is largely symbolic.

On Monday, the head of Iran's national oil company said the ban might be extended to other EU members that continued "hostile acts" against Iran.

Ahmad Qalehbani said exports to Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Germany and the Netherlands could be stopped, semi-official Mehr news agency reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17101740

• Advanced Member

I know probably none of us can be completely objective but lets try to be at least fair.

I'll mention a couple points.

I'm not sure if many of you know but the European Union actually stockpiles oil and they have enough for about 120 days. They're obviously not stupid and they maintain stockpiles for such occasions, did people really think they were buying their oil daily with absolutely no buffer or stockpiles? It's just the common sense thing to do.

Two, a lot of european companies have already significantly reduced and continue to reduce the amount of oil they buy from Iran. Every day european companies are replacing their Iranian oil with other sources. Did you guys really think they'd do nothing for six months and then cut off the Iranian oil? They're progressively reducing how much oil they buy.

Three, Saudi Arabia/UAE has already promised to make up any shortfall in supply, they're already working on this.

Even China is reducing the amount of oil they buy from iran but for a very different reason. China realises if Iran (which sold about 20% of its oil to the EU, the EU was a fairly large customer) has fewer customers and fewer demands for its oil, china can ask for a lower price because they have a lot less alternative countries to sell it to. If they dont like the price China asks they can simply sell it to someone else, the problem is in this situation, they have a lot less potential customers now.

So, none of this is good for Iran in the short to medium term. They have less customers and will probably get lower prices for their oil.

In the long term as the global supply of oil dries up (peak oil and all that) it'll probably be good for Iran considering how big their reserves are. This is all assuming there isn't a significant shift towards energy sources that aren't oil which is bound to happen sooner or later...it just depends whether its sooner....or whether its later. That will determine the global economic effect.

Edited by kingpomba
  • Advanced Member

I know probably none of us can be completely objective but lets try to be at least fair.

I'll mention a couple points.

I'm not sure if many of you know but the European Union actually stockpiles oil and they have enough for about 120 days. They're obviously not stupid and they maintain stockpiles for such occasions, did people really think they were buying their oil daily with absolutely no buffer or stockpiles? It's just the common sense thing to do.

Two, a lot of european companies have already significantly reduced and continue to reduce the amount of oil they buy from Iran. Every day european companies are replacing their Iranian oil with other sources. Did you guys really think they'd do nothing for six months and then cut off the Iranian oil? They're progressively reducing how much oil they buy.

Three, Saudi Arabia/UAE has already promised to make up any shortfall in supply, they're already working on this.

Even China is reducing the amount of oil they buy from iran but for a very different reason. China realises if Iran (which sold about 20% of its oil to the EU, the EU was a fairly large customer) has fewer customers and fewer demands for its oil, china can ask for a lower price because they have a lot less alternative countries to sell it to. If they dont like the price China asks they can simply sell it to someone else, the problem is in this situation, they have a lot less potential customers now.

So, none of this is good for Iran in the short to medium term. They have less customers and will probably get lower prices for their oil.

In the long term as the global supply of oil dries up (peak oil and all that) it'll probably be good for Iran considering how big their reserves are. This is all assuming there isn't a significant shift towards energy sources that aren't oil which is bound to happen sooner or later...it just depends whether its sooner....or whether its later. That will determine the global economic effect.

Umm no

• Veteran Member

The very little symbolic ban caused a cost, it will be harsh when Iran bans export to the real European buyers and on the other hand warns SAUDI and other regional countries to not increase their usual exports or else it will be considered acts of war... And then you'll witness very different oil prices!

------------------------------

Iran's move to cut oil shipments to Britain, France expected to have little effect on supplies

Iran's move to cut off oil shipments to Britain and France is expected to have little or no effect on supplies, but had an immediate effect on world prices Monday, as oil prices jumped to a nine-month high above $105 a barrel.

By early afternoon in Europe, benchmark March crude was up $1.91 to $105.15 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Earlier in the day, it rose to $105.21, the highest since May. The contract rose 93 cents to settle at $103.24 per barrel in New York on Friday.

Markets in the United States are closed Monday for the Presidents Day holiday.

Iran's oil ministry said Sunday it stopped crude shipments to British and French companies in an apparent pre-emptive blow against the European Union after the bloc imposed sanctions on Iran's crucial fuel exports. They include a freeze of the country's central bank assets and an oil embargo set to begin in July.

Iran's Oil Minister Rostam Qassemi had warned earlier this month that Tehran could cut off oil exports to "hostile" European nations. The 27-nation EU accounts for about 18 percent of Iran's oil exports.

FoxNews

Edited by Noah-
  • Advanced Member

Yes absolutely. Germany has been leading the way, we musnt allow them to outperform Americas advancements with green energy.

Cars run on oil, not green energy. Therefore oil is still valuable until other natural resources can compete with it.

• Advanced Member

The very little symbolic ban caused a cost, it will be harsh when Iran bans export to the real European buyers and on the other hand warns SAUDI and other regional countries to not increase their usual exports or else it will be considered acts of war... And then you'll witness very different oil prices!

Let me preface this by saying I'm no fan of Saudi Arabia.

But how can you consider them filling a demand in the market for a product they sell to be an act of war? IRI has made it clear that they don't want Europes business, so they shouldn't get offended or make threats if someone fills the gap. It makes good economic sense for whoever fills the void, plain and simple. Do you think Russia, whose economy is symbiotically attached to its oil sales, won't want a piece of the 18% pie that is the gap left by Iran? That helps them financially and diplomatically, as they will get just a bit more influence over the EU with a bigger stake in their oil supplies. Other oil producing countries can benefit just as much.

I also don't think taking pride in the cost of oil going up is helpful as well. High oil costs effect every corner of the globe and if it has an adverse effect on world economies over time, governments and their citizens will want to know why. And they'll point to Iran and its actions, thereby isolating itself further and accusations of "economic terrorism", however hypocritical, will come from those that want a conflict with Iran, adding just another reason to go to war.

Iran is going to stop selling the only income producer they have, can they start selling sand or enriched uranium. Where are they going to get the money to buy gasoline?

I think Iran will still sell its oil through a back door or a black market deal bur it will be at a discount. Or who would adapt faster; Europe to alternate sources or Iran adapting to poverty?

It is a bit of a shame. Who do you side with, America, who seems almost like a bully? Nobody wants to see another country destroyed, not Iran anyway. Or do you side with Iran? The fundamentalists who make delusional claims of superiority. Iran does not appear to be so bad. They have such great potential. And yet, it appears to be the point of no return in conflict.

A fresh reminder of the world we live in. Thankyou God for creating such a violent reality for us to live in. And may you have mercy on us when we are finished fighting in accord to your natural law.

Guest Jebreil

(bismillah)

(salam)

As of this moment since 1979, Iran has proved a tough challenge for the hegemonic powers. Doubters were many during that period, which were refuted by the Islamic Republic's survival, progress and increasing influence. Doubters still exist for Iran's ability to continue this tenacious trend. It remains to be seen. But Iran is not an easy opponent - and as far as normal human foresight can show, this game of chess is still being played.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Umm no

Maybe in America but a lot of other countries around the world actually care.

Do you not understand the concept of oil as a finite resource? Finite means there is only a certain amount of it. It will run out or become extremely uneconomical at some point, as i said, sooner or later we won't be using oil. Its not *if*, its *when*.

I'm sure the USA is also acutely aware (as in the 70s) they can be held hostage by oil and energy insecurity. This is why they're trying to build an oil pipeline from canada for example.

In europe where the government actually has sense in their head they're moving to a blend of ethanol and petroleum. Indeed, this is legislated in a lot of place. In time they could move to 100% ethanol, there are plenty of existing technologies that can already run engines on this much ethanol. We also have breakneck speed progress in things like celluosic ethanol so we dont have to choose between "food or fuel".

I dont know about your country but in mine the trains run on electricity instead of diesel. Some of the buses i take run on 100% ethanol.

The fact of the matter is the oil is running out. It's not getting any cheaper or any more secure. Its horrible for the enviroment. In 100 years time we wont have the majority of our cars or transportation running on oil. Which technology(ies) replace it remains to be seen but we have several viable ideas.

It wasn't so long ago we were whaling to be able to use their blubber in lamps as an illumination source (no light bulbs, fancy that).

The very little symbolic ban caused a cost,

Barely...

it will be harsh when Iran bans export to the real European buyers

I'm not some anti-iran pro-american zealot. It will have some effect but it wont be massive.

Harsh how exactly? Did you not see the bit where i pointed out the european union stockpiles oil? They have more than enough stockpile to last even if Iran cut off oil tomorrow. Lets not forget the fact saudi arabia promised to make up any shortfall anyway...

Every day european oil companies are buying less and less iranian oil (as i mentioned in my above post which you should probably read).

and on the other hand warns SAUDI and other regional countries to not increase their usual exports or else it will be considered acts of war

Thats pretty much all they can do, warn them.

Selling more of your own oil... (saudi arabia in this case)... is not considered an act of war by any measure...

Attacking them for this reason is considered an act of war though, along with blocking the strait of hormuz. A blockade like that is considered an act of war under international law. Iran will be the aggressor as well, the security council will jump all over this.

I doubt Iran will do anything past warning them unless they're crazy.

Iran's Oil Minister Rostam Qassemi had warned earlier this month that Tehran could cut off oil exports to "hostile" European nations. The 27-nation EU accounts for about 18 percent of Iran's oil exports.

Operative word being could. Not that itll matter much anyway as i've shown. Cutting off oil will only hurt the Iranians because they'll have less demand and less buyers

FoxNews

Just out of interest...why fox?

It is a bit of a shame. Who do you side with, America, who seems almost like a bully? Nobody wants to see another country destroyed, not Iran anyway. Or do you side with Iran? The fundamentalists who make delusional claims of superiority.

I dont know about the last bit but exactly.

I'm not some right wing nut job that wants to see a war. War is good for no one (except maybe the generals bank accounts and those who make the arms).

Iran does not appear to be so bad.

I have nothing against Iran. The people seem fine. The country seems like a nice place. Its nothing against Iran i have per se, its against the government. If you dont think they're so bad some of the links in my signature might surprise you...

And yet, it appears to be the point of no return in conflict.

I dont think we're there just yet. If you look back historically we've had many close calls but they've kind of simmered down. We're getting close though, especially of Israel cant hold back.

Edited by kingpomba
  • Veteran Member

Maybe in America but a lot of other countries around the world actually care.

Hello Kingpomba,

ShiaBen does not speak for all of America, not even for the majority actually.

Many Americans do care.

Do you not understand the concept of oil as a finite resource? Finite means there is only a certain amount of it. It will run out or become extremely uneconomical at some point, as i said, sooner or later we won't be using oil. Its not *if*, its *when*.

My Dad understands that. Yes sad to say not all Americans understand this point, but it is obvious. Oil is like any other resource; it can be used all up.

I'm sure the USA is also acutely aware (as in the 70s) they can be held hostage by oil and energy insecurity. This is why they're trying to build an oil pipeline from canada for example.

What I don't understand is why only lip service is being done in order to find acceptable, alternative energy sources. A man in Israel had a great idea for an alternate energy source for cars... I think the USA should get on the band wagon and copy his idea. My dad says that the oil tycoons want to make as much money as possible right now, which is why not more is being done in this regard at the moment.

In europe where the government actually has sense in their head they're moving to a blend of ethanol and petroleum. Indeed, this is legislated in a lot of place. In time they could move to 100% ethanol, there are plenty of existing technologies that can already run engines on this much ethanol. We also have breakneck speed progress in things like celluosic ethanol so we dont have to choose between "food or fuel".

Awesome. Yeah, the USA should copy that.

I dont know about your country but in mine the trains run on electricity instead of diesel. Some of the buses i take run on 100% ethanol.

The fact of the matter is the oil is running out. It's not getting any cheaper or any more secure. Its horrible for the enviroment. In 100 years time we wont have the majority of our cars or transportation running on oil. Which technology(ies) replace it remains to be seen but we have several viable ideas.

It wasn't so long ago we were whaling to be able to use their blubber in lamps as an illumination source (no light bulbs, fancy that).

True.

Barely...

I'm not some anti-iran pro-american zealot. It will have some effect but it wont be massive.

Lol it's obvious you're not. :) Many Americans do not really care about Iran, actually, whether for or against... they just don't want to go to war again and would not be very fond of being dragged into another war, with anybody at the moment. For most Americans, Iran only enters their mind when they hear news of Iran. Most Americans don't hate Iran or love Iran... though some like Baklava. :) When I think of Iran, I think of Baklava, and the Christian pastor being condemned to die, and the fact that the USA government doesn't want Iran copying their nuclear capabilities, and Israel's antagonistic stance against Iran. Many Americans are proAmerican, but not anti Iran. Being proAmerican is an American trait naturally. Iran doesn't really have many people in mainstream USA against it, just not for it either. There are Iranian Americans however who are for their mother country, which makes perfect sense. So, most Americans are not antiIran, but yes many Americans are proAmerican. Many Americans are very patriotic.

Harsh how exactly? Did you not see the bit where i pointed out the european union stockpiles oil? They have more than enough stockpile to last even if Iran cut off oil tomorrow. Lets not forget the fact saudi arabia promised to make up any shortfall anyway...

I am curious. Is Saudi Arabia wanting Iran to fall?

Every day european oil companies are buying less and less iranian oil (as i mentioned in my above post which you should probably read).

Thats pretty much all they can do, warn them.

Selling more of your own oil... (saudi arabia in this case)... is not considered an act of war by any measure...

Attacking them for this reason is considered an act of war though, along with blocking the strait of hormuz. A blockade like that is considered an act of war under international law. Iran will be the aggressor as well, the security council will jump all over this.

I doubt Iran will do anything past warning them unless they're crazy.

Operative word being could. Not that itll matter much anyway as i've shown. Cutting off oil will only hurt the Iranians because they'll have less demand and less buyers

Just out of interest...why fox?

I dont know about the last bit but exactly.

I'm not some right wing nut job that wants to see a war. War is good for no one (except maybe the generals bank accounts and those who make the arms).

I have nothing against Iran. The people seem fine. The country seems like a nice place. Its nothing against Iran i have per se, its against the government. If you dont think they're so bad some of the links in my signature might surprise you...

Many governments have done horrible things. ;(

I dont think we're there just yet. If you look back historically we've had many close calls but they've kind of simmered down. We're getting close though, especially of Israel cant hold back.

Why do you think Israel is so against Iran?

Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

Ah, these links are surprising to me. Perhaps they are in need of more reform than i had previously thought.

• Veteran Member

Iran refuses to deliver 500k-barrel oil shipment to Greece

hakbari20120226141934603.jpg

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:43PM GM

Iran has refused to deliver a 500,000-barrel shipment of oil to Greece in response to EU oil sanctions imposed against the country.

According to a report by Fars News Agency on Sunday, oil tankers that had come to transfer 500,000 barrels of Iranian crude oil to Hellenic refining complex in Greece were forced to return empty-handed after the Islamic Republic refused to deliver the shipment.

European Union foreign ministers agreed on January 23 to ban oil imports from Iran and to freeze the assets of the Iranian Central Bank across the EU. The sanctions will become fully effective on July 1, 2012, to give EU member states enough time to adjust to the new conditions and find alternative crude oil supplies.

The EU decision followed the imposition of similar sanctions by Washington on Iranian energy and financial sectors on New Year’s Eve which seek to punish other countries for buying Iran oil or dealing with the its central bank.

The Senate Banking Committee on February 2 adopted a package of tougher new sanctions targeting Iran's national oil and tanker firms, authorizing the US government to impose a ban on foreign companies that buy oil from the National Iranian oil Company (NIOC) or have oil shipped by the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC).

PressTv

• Advanced Member

I just read this I thought it was from last week. But thanks for posting Noah.

This is exactly what we're talking about.

Iran just sanctioned Greece, now Greece is going to suffer big time.

This pretty much pushes people around the world, to put pressure on their leaders, if they remain ignorant.

Greece's leaders are corrupt and supported sanctions on Iran, now the Greek people will grab them by their throats and demand results.

Iran picked a sensitive country on the border of jeopardy to make the sanctions more effective. Good on Iran.

Edited by ShiaBen
  • Advanced Member

I just read this I thought it was from last week. But thanks for posting Noah.

This is exactly what we're talking about.

Iran just sanctioned Greece, now Greece is going to suffer big time.

This pretty much pushes people around the world, to put pressure on their leaders, if they remain ignorant.

Greece's leaders are corrupt and supported sanctions on Iran, now the Greek people will grab them by their throats and demand results.

Iran picked a sensitive country on the border of jeopardy to make the sanctions more effective. Good on Iran.

If you got that off press TV it turns out the government owned media is wrong about what the government is doing again... - http://www.reuters.c...E8DQ0HY20120226

Edited by kingpomba