Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is The Buddha Considered A Prophet?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

In The Name of Allah (SWT) , The Most Beneficent, The Most Merciful.

Well, according to narrations, it is related that there were 124,000 Prophets (peace be upon them all) that were sent by God and only a few (if I am not wrong, less than 30) are mentioned in the Quran. As for the rest, we do not know who they were or what their names were so one can only speculate on whether Buddha was a Prophet or not as it is quite a grey area. I do remember hearing somewhere that in one of the Hadith, one of the Greek Philosophers (I think Aristotle or Socrates but I am not sure) was also a Prophet but, then again, it was, most probably, one hadith and, therefore, cannot be used to make very firm estimates about what really his status was.

Moreover, Muslims today don't pay much attention to such discourses because, although interesting, they are not that beneficial for the Muslim in today's world as Buddha's teachings, assuming that he was a Prophet, are irrelevant for the people today.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam) wa RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATOH

By Allah! No Prophet of Allah has ever denied His existence nor worshipped anyone besides Him.

If you meant this as a general statement, then fine.

On the other hand, if what you meant was that since present-day Buddhism does not, for the most part, believe in a God, then even Buddha cannot be a Prophet because he is either teaching that there is no God or encouraging people to worship a Deity which is other than Allah (SWT) , then, I think this sort of an arguement is flawed. This is because we cannot be sure about whether present-day Buddhism represents Buddha's original teachings just like we cannot reject the Prophethood of Jesus (peace be upon him) just because present day Christianity encourages, for the most part, a belief in a Triune God and, therefore, encourages Shirk.

• Veteran Member

Salam

To be absolutely sure you have to study the original teachings of Buddha and his lifestyle if his teachings go against the teaching of Islam or all the Prophet in any why or Buddha has committed a single mistake in his life then that disqualify him as a Prophet because Prophets are infallible. If not then just like brother shiaben said its possible because not all Prophets were mention by name in the Quran.

• Veteran Member
Salam To be absolutely sure you have to study the original teachings of Buddha and his lifestyle if his teachings go against the teaching of Islam or all the Prophet in any why or Buddha has committed a single mistake in his life then that disqualify him as a Prophet because Prophets are infallible. If not then just like brother shiaben said its possible because not all Prophets were mention by name in the Quran.

But, the problem is, most probably, the records about his life have become either lost or corrupt and the buddhist scriptures are, obviously, not Hujjah for us either so we can't take them as absolute truth. Therefore, we could only speculate and, therefore, it is better to avoid such discourses because, as I have have previously stated, they are irrelevant and whether Buddha was a Prophet or not makes no difference to us. At the same time, to be on the safe side, we must have a basic level of respect for him so that if was really was, we don't find ourselves on the Day of Judgement found guilty of swearing or insulting a Prophet!

Salam

To be absolutely sure you have to study the original teachings of Buddha and his lifestyle if his teachings go against the teaching of Islam or all the Prophet in any why or Buddha has committed a single mistake in his life then that disqualify him as a Prophet because Prophets are infallible. If not then just like brother shiaben said its possible because not all Prophets were mention by name in the Quran.

ws

I can name a few who hve made mistakes. Prophet Yusuf, Prophet Adam and Prophet Yunus, All of them had made major mistakes. one was thrown to earth and the other lost his nabiyat for not standin in respect for his father, Prophet Yaqoob (as) and hzrt Yunus was swallowed by a big fish. I dont remember his mistake.

Edited by behayaat

• Veteran Member

ws

I can name a few who hve made mistakes. Prophet Yusuf, Prophet Adam and Prophet Yunus, All of them had made major mistakes. one was thrown to earth and the other lost his nabiyat for not standin in respect for his father, Prophet Yaqoob (as) and hzrt Yunus was swallowed by a big fish. I dont remember his mistake.

Salam

That's your belief but in Shia Islam All Prophets are infallible and they have to be because they are directly guided by Allah(swt) . Allah(swt) guides them and they guide us. If you say Prophets made mistakes then your also saying Allah(swt) made mistakes because he couldn't guide them right . Plus no human being would follow a Prophet who made mistakes because you would never know what right and what's a mistake. This just one reason their are other reasons that prove the infallibility of Prophets but this is not what the thread is about .

Salam

That's your belief but in Shia Islam All Prophets are infallible and they have to be because they are directly guided by Allah(swt) . Allah(swt) guides them and they guide us. If you say Prophets made mistakes then your also saying Allah(swt) made mistakes because he couldn't guide them right . Plus no human being would follow a Prophet who made mistakes because you would never know what right and what's a mistake. This just one reason their are other reasons that prove the infallibility of Prophets but this is not what the thread is about .

My argument will bring problems here. So i will stay quiet. Yes u r right.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam) wa RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATOH

If you meant this as a general statement, then fine.

On the other hand, if what you meant was that since present-day Buddhism does not, for the most part, believe in a God, then even Buddha cannot be a Prophet because he is either teaching that there is no God or encouraging people to worship a Deity which is other than Allah (SWT) , then, I think this sort of an arguement is flawed. This is because we cannot be sure about whether present-day Buddhism represents Buddha's original teachings just like we cannot reject the Prophethood of Jesus (peace be upon him) just because present day Christianity encourages, for the most part, a belief in a Triune God and, therefore, encourages Shirk.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

So according to you we can assume every Prophet of a Religion to possibly be one of Allah's Prophet because we are not sure whether the scripture [of that religion] has been modified or not? As for Christianity, Allah - Mighty and Exalted - mentions that they have modified their scripture and nothing about any other faith save Judaism. The other nations before us, they have mostly denied their Messengers except a few who believed. Abraham (as) came with the Divine Books, yet they were never fabricated still Allah sent Prophet Moses and Aaron - Peace and Blessing be upon them both - with a new Divine Book.

• Advanced Member

Buddha's life indicates a great probability of him being a Prophet. Because, he was a prince who left his comfortable lifestyle to live among the common people and preach to them. This is somewhat similar to the story of Hz Ibrahim. So, while there is no way to be sure, evidence indicates a high probability.

• Advanced Member

Salaams silencewithin,

Firstly, I think you should understand that Muslim scholars and laymen disagree on many issues, both those pertaining to within Islam and without.

I think it's fair to say, as evidenced by this thread, that there is some disagreement as to whether or not Buddha was a prophet. Personally speaking, I share titumir's view that: "Buddha's life indicates a great probability of him being a Prophet. Because, he was a prince who left his comfortable lifestyle to live among the common people and preach to them."

Perhaps the following book may go some way towards answering your question: Common ground between Islam & Buddhism by Reza Shah-Kazemi, Hamza Yusuf and the Dalai Lama

Whilst this is not the definitive Islamic answer, it does present the views of a well regarded (in academic circles certainly) Twelver Shia academic, Dr Reza Shah-Kazemi, a renowned traditional Sunni scholar, Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, and the Dalai Lama (who argues that Islam is indeed a salvific path). In addition, the book contains an argument by Professor Muhammed Hashim Kamali, a Sunni scholar of religious law, that Buddhism is an authentic religion.

However, for the sake of balance, I must say that leading Twelver Shia scholars such as Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali al Husayni al Sistani and traditional Sunni scholars such as Shaykh Nuh Keller would disagree with the arguments presented in this work.

I hope this helps.

Peace

Edited by Hagop

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

So according to you we can assume every Prophet of a Religion to possibly be one of Allah's Prophet because we are not sure whether the scripture [of that religion] has been modified or not? As for Christianity, Allah - Mighty and Exalted - mentions that they have modified their scripture and nothing about any other faith save Judaism. The other nations before us, they have mostly denied their Messengers except a few who believed. Abraham (as) came with the Divine Books, yet they were never fabricated still Allah sent Prophet Moses and Aaron - Peace and Blessing be upon them both - with a new Divine Book.

(salam) wa RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATOH.

I had never said that we should make, and accept such assumptions. Rather, what I was saying was that out of the 124000 Prophets (peace be upon them all) which our Hadith mention, only less than 30 are mentioned and this is not even 1% of them all. Therefore, there were many, many other Prophets (peace be upon them all) which we don't know about.

My only point was that, like Titumir said, "Buddha's life indicates a great probability of him being a Prophet," and, therefore, it is probable that he might have been one but I was NOT making any definite statements about this. All I was saying is that, since we are not sure on this matter, we should just not speculate as this issue is quite irrelevant to us, as Muslims, today. My other point was that just as a precaution, we should refrain from saying about Buddha which may not befit him if he does turn out to a Prophet. Even if he is not a Prophet, Islam does not teach us to ridicule the important personalities of others' religions so I was only advocating for a basic level of respect being given to, just to be on the safer side, which he should get anyway even if he was not a Prophet.

• Advanced Member

Well, if you read the book Hayat Al Qulub, in the beginning of the first volume, it tells use about the prophets.

The Qur'an mentions about 25 prophets in it, then according to Hayatal Qulub, from a Hadith it says that there were prophets sent to Bani Izrail, the first being Musa, and the Last being Isa, and there were 600 prophets between them, so that gives us about 625-230 prophets we know about. Then Allah sent prophets to all parts of the Globe, India must have received prophets, therefor it is in the realm of possibility that he could have been a prophet, but it is highly unlikely considering the fact that Buddhism rejects the idea of a creator, and it leans more to Hinduism, so I doubt he was a prophet.

• Advanced Member

Buddah may be a prophet.but with passage of time his teaching may have forgotten.since every prophet have married & encouraged it & did n't said that anybody can become god by getting any knowledge rather they encourage to devout to Allah, the almighty which are contrary to Buddah's teachings.also many Buddists led life according to westerners. Many teachings are quite difficult to follow.but prophets teachings are easy to follow.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam) wa RAHMATULLAHI WA BARAKATOH.

I had never said that we should make, and accept such assumptions. Rather, what I was saying was that out of the 124000 Prophets (peace be upon them all) which our Hadith mention, only less than 30 are mentioned and this is not even 1% of them all. Therefore, there were many, many other Prophets (peace be upon them all) which we don't know about.

"[---] Islam does not teach us to ridicule the important personalities of others' religions..."

وعليكم السلام

Indeed.

• Advanced Member

Just to let you know, if you call someone a prophet who wasn't a prophet, it's kufr.

So be careful.

Is Buddha considered a prophet?

My answer would be: I don't know, God knows best. There is no evidence to suggest he was, but at the same time we don't know the names of all 124,000 prophets.

Edited by Replicant

I am not a Muslim myself, but I investigate it a lot. I was just wondering, do Muslims, on average, see Buddha as a Prophet or not?

I hope to see some replies.

Hey there!

I suggest you the following book to read written by scholars in this field :) how about that!

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Ground-Between-Islam-Buddhism/dp/1891785621/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1329325260&sr=8-7

message me with your e-mail if you would like a pdf.

Peace my friend

Ethereal

• Veteran Member
Just to let you know, if you call someone a prophet who wasn't a prophet, it's kufr. So be careful. Is Buddha considered a prophet? My answer would be: I don't know, God knows best. There is no evidence to suggest he was, but at the same time we don't know the names of all 124,000 prophets.

Of course, I am not saying he was. I was just saying that, firstly, these speculations are not useful to us anyway so why delve into them? Secondly, I was just saying that we should be cautious and NOT that we should start respecting him like a Prophet. Like I said, even if it is proven that he was not, we don't have to ridicule him anyway, regardless of him being a Prophet or not and I was just encouraging this level of respect.

• Advanced Member

Salaam aleykom

I just wonder, do the word prophet in english have the different meanings that we find in arabic, prophets with different levels (I mean rasool and nabi)?? and does wali Allah also a word haram to be told for "non-walli"..what about awliya' Allah essaaleheen? he can be like them??