Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Laayla

Education And Children

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

At what age do you start sending your kids to school? In Lebanon, you can start sending them as early as three years old. In America, kindergarden starts at five. I wish I had a support system where I can home school them but unfortunately it is looked down upon and not considered a real education.

So, I'll ask the Shiachatters. What do you think? What age should be kids sent to school?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Guest EndlessEndeavor

(wasalam)

Start teaching your child as soon as possible. Despite most education systems beginning at an early age, they sadly do not teach much to the child favouring activities like games. Whilst these are critical, the child also has a great capacity to learn even more advanced things and there is no problem to involve both in one process.

Never underestimate the child's ability to absorb information and understand!

Best of luck anyhow :)

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Sister Endless,

I am teaching them at home already. I got them the "Your Baby Can Read" series and they already know how to "read" around 30 words. My concerns of sending them to school off early at 3 is about getting love, affection, and attention. I know Mash'Allah that they learn much more at an early age, but I'm already teaching all the basics and more to them at home.

Would you happen to know what studies or research say about sending off children early to school? Is it better to keep them at home until they are 5? More importantly, what does ahadith say about teaching your children at a young age?

BTW, sister what activites do you recommend?

Edited by Laayla

Guest EndlessEndeavor

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Sister Endless,

I am teaching them at home already. I got them the "Your Baby Can Read" series and they already know how to "read" around 30 words. My concerns of sending them to school off early at 3 is about getting love, affection, and attention. I know Mash'Allah that they learn much more at an early age, but I'm already teaching all the basics and more to them at home.

Would you happen to know what studies or research say about sending off children early to school? Is it better to keep them at home until they are 5? More importantly, what does ahadith say about teaching your children at a young age?

BTW, sister what activites do you recommend?

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

I am brother endless :P

I do not think you should fear about love and attention or lack of in such schools. These institutions for young children are precisely about giving attention to children, teaching them how to interact and be with others without being scared. As such, it is really good for the child to be in such an environment and it helps them adapt to real school after kindergarden without fear and excessive attachment to you. Sometimes if a child hasn't been exposed to people and other children, beginning school will be a really difficult process for both the child and the parents.

As for ahadith, the only one I can think of is something along the lines of play and allow them to be free in their first 7 years, discipline and teach them in their next 7 years, and be their friend after that. But hopefully someone can correct me or post better ahadith regarding this matter, as I do not know much in terms of ahadith.

And as for activities, I recommend teaching them languages. From my studies, a child has an extraordinary capacity to learn a number of languages at a very early age. Not only that, teaching one language will not conflict with another in the child's mind as they have an ability to store this knowledge separately. However, this isnt the easiest so atleast ensure they learn both Arabic and English. Remember to make the activities as fun as possible and as interactive as possible.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother Endless,

They are learning Arabic with my husband, but they are mostly with me so they are picking up English more. I wish they had a childrens series to learn Arabic. I work with them with flashcards, and they watch videos learning how to read.

I'm planning to take them to Quran school for the weekend in the summer Insh'Allah. That way they will be familiar with other kids and the classroom setting.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Salaam Alaikum Laayla

May Allah reward your efforts of upbringing your children.

I highly recommend you listen to the following lecture series by Sayid Muhammed Rizvi. Its a series of 4 lectures (less than 30 mins each) in which he addresses all kinds of factors and ways to consider while upbringing your child.

part 1:

part 2:

part 3:

part 4:

Hope this helps!

I definitely agree with teaching them as many languages as possible. I want my kiddies to be fluent in at least 3 languages, urdu, english and another modern foreign language, e.g french.... Hopefully they will also learn arabic, for obvious reasons, insha'Allah.

I love the idea of teaching my kids at home, and them then doing well at school because of it.