Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haydar Husayn

Calling On Other Than Allah In The Quran

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

A collection of ayats from the Quran about calling on and relying on other than Allah عز و جل. All translations by Shakir.

Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek. [1:5]

And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way. [2:186]

And there are some among men who take for themselves objects of worship besides Allah, whom they love as they love Allah, and those who believe are stronger in love for Allah and O, that those who are unjust had seen, when they see the chastisement, that the power is wholly Allah's and that Allah is severe in requiting (evil). When those who were followed shall renounce those who followed (them), and they see the chastisement and their ties are cut asunder. And those who followed shall say: Had there been for us a return, then we would renounce them as they have renounced us. Thus will Allah show them their deeds to be intense regret to them, and they shall not come forth from the fire. [2:165-167]

Two men of those who feared, upon both of whom Allah had bestowed a favor, said: Enter upon them by the gate, for when you have entered it you shall surely be victorious, and on Allah should you rely if you are believers. [5:23]

And if Allah touch you with affliction, there is none to take it off but He; and if He visit you with good, then He has power over all things. [6:17]

Say: Tell me if the chastisement of Allah should overtake you or the hour should come upon you, will you call (on others) besides Allah, if you are truthful? Nay, Him you call upon, so He clears away that for which you pray if He pleases and you forget what you set up (with Him). [6:40-41]

Say: Who is it that delivers you from the dangers of the land and the sea (when) you call upon Him (openly) humiliating yourselves, and in secret: If He delivers us from this, we should certainly be of the grateful ones. Say: Allah delivers you from them and from every distress, but again you set up others (with Him). [6:63-64]

And when they commit an indecency they say: We found our fathers doing this, and Allah has enjoined it on us. Say: Surely Allah does not enjoin indecency; do you say against Allah what you do not know? Say: My Lord has enjoined justice, and set upright your faces at every time of prayer and call on Him, being sincere to Him in obedience; as He brought you forth in the beginning, so shall you also return. [7:28:29]

Surely those who are with your Lord are not too proud to serve Him, and they declare His glory and prostrate in humility before Him. [7:206]

Those only are believers whose hearts become full of fear when Allah is mentioned, and when His communications are recited to them they increase them in faith, and in their Lord do they trust. [8:2]

O Prophet! Allah is sufficient for you and (for) such of the believers as follow you. [8:64]

And when affliction touches a man, he calls on Us, whether lying on his side or sitting or standing; but when We remove his affliction from him, he passes on as though he had never called on Us on account of an affliction that touched him; thus that which they do is made fair-seeming to the extravagant. [10:12]

And they serve beside Allah what can neither harm them nor profit them, and they say: These are our intercessors with Allah. Say: Do you (presume to) inform Allah of what He knows not in the heavens and the earth? Glory be to Him, and supremely exalted is He above what they set up (with Him). [10:18]

He it is Who makes you travel by land and sea; until when you are in the ships, and they sail on with them in a pleasant breeze, and they rejoice, a violent wind overtakes them and the billows surge in on them from all sides, and they become certain that they are encompassed about, they pray to Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience: If Thou dost deliver us from this, we will most certainly be of the grateful ones. Yet when He hath delivered them, behold! they rebel in the earth wrongfully. O mankind! Your rebellion is only against yourselves. (Ye have) enjoyment of the life of the world; then unto Us is your return and We shall proclaim unto you what ye used to do. [10:22-23]

Surely those whom you call on besides Allah are in a state of subjugation like yourselves; therefore call on them, then let them answer you if you are truthful. And do not call besides Allah on that which can neither benefit you nor harm you, for if you do then surely you will in that case be of the unjust. And if Allah should afflict you with harm, then there is none to remove it but He; and if He intends good to you there is none to repel His grace; He brings it to whom He pleases of His servants; and He is the Forgiving, the Merciful. [10:106-107]

To Him is due the true prayer; and those whom they pray to besides Allah give them no answer, but (they are) like one who stretches forth his two hands towards water that it may reach his mouth, but it will not reach it; and the prayer of the unbelievers is only in error. [13:14]

Say: Who is the Lord of the heavens and the earth? Say: Allah. Say: Do you take then besides Him guardians who do not control any profit or harm for themselves? Say: Are the blind and the seeing alike? Or can the darkness and the light be equal? Or have they set up with Allah associates who have created creation like His, so that what is created became confused to them? Say: Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is the One, the Supreme. [Qur'an 13:16]

He said: And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord but the erring ones? [15:56]

And those whom they call on besides Allah have not created anything while they are themselves created; [16:20]

Say: Call on those whom you assert besides Him, so they shall not control the removal of distress from you nor (its) transference. Those whom they call upon, themselves seek the means of access to their Lord-- whoever of them is nearest-- and they hope for His mercy and fear His chastisement; surely the chastisement of your Lord is a thing to be cautious of. [17:56-57]

Say: Call upon Allah or call upon, the Beneficent Allah; whichever you call upon, He has the best names; and do not utter your prayer with a very raised voice nor be silent with regard to it, and seek a way between these. [17:110]

And We will bring forth hell, exposed to view, on that day before the unbelievers. They whose eyes were under a cover from My reminder and they could not even hear. What! do then those who disbelieve think that they can take My servants to be guardians besides Me? Surely We have prepared hell for the entertainment of the unbelievers. [18:100-103]

And they have taken besides Him gods, who do not create anything while they are themselves created, and they control not for themselves any harm or profit, and they control not death nor life, nor raising (the dead) to life. [25:3]

Say: Praise be to Allah and peace on His servants whom He has chosen: is Allah better, or what they associate (with Him)?

Is not He (best) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sendeth down for you water from the sky wherewith We cause to spring forth joyous orchards, whose trees it never hath been yours to cause to grow. Is there any Allah beside Allah? Nay, but they are folk who ascribe equals (unto Him)!

Or, Who made the earth a resting place, and made in it rivers, and raised on it mountains and placed between the two seas a barrier. Is there a god with Allah? Nay! most of them do not know!

Or, Who answers the distressed one when he calls upon Him and removes the evil, and He will make you successors in the earth. Is there a god with Allah? Little is it that you mind!

Or, Who guides you in utter darkness of the land and the sea, and Who sends the winds as good news before His mercy. Is there a god with Allah? Exalted by Allah above what they associate (with Him).

Or, Who originates the creation, then reproduces it and Who gives you sustenance from the heaven and the earth. Is there a god With Allah? Say: Bring your proof if you are truthful. [27:59-64]

You only worship idols besides Allah and you create a lie surely they whom you serve besides Allah do not control for you any sustenance, therefore seek the sustenance from Allah and serve Him and be grateful to Him; to Him you shall be brought back. [29:17]

Allah is He Who created you, then gave you sustenance, then He causes you to die, then brings you to life. Is there any of your associate-gods who does aught of it? Glory be to Him, and exalted be He above what they associate (with Him). [30:40]

Say: Call upon those whom you assert besides Allah; they do not control the weight of an atom in the heavens or in the earth nor have they any partnership in either, nor has He among them any one to back (Him) up. And intercession will not avail aught with Him save of him whom He permits. Until when fear shall be removed from their hearts, They shall say: What is it that your Lord said? They shall say: The truth. And He is the Most High, the Great. [34:22-23]

He causes the night to enter in upon the day, and He causes the day to enter in upon the night, and He has made subservient (to you) the sun and the moon; each one follows its course to an appointed time; this is Allah, your Lord, His is the kingdom; and those whom you call upon besides Him do not control a straw. If you call on them they shall not hear your call, and even if they could hear they shall not answer you; and on the resurrection day they will deny your associating them (with Allah); and none can inform you like the One Who is Aware. [35:13-14]

Now, surely, sincere obedience is due to Allah (alone) and (as for) those who take guardians besides Him, (saying), We do not serve them save that they may make us nearer to Allah, surely Allah will judge between them in that in which they differ; surely Allah does not guide him aright who is a liar, ungrateful. [39:3]

And should you ask them, Who created the heavens and the earth? They would most certainly say: Allah. Say: Have you then considered that what you call upon besides Allah, would they, if Allah desire to afflict me with harm, be the removers of His harm, or (would they), if Allah desire to show me mercy, be the withholders of His mercy? Say: Allah is sufficient for me; on Him do the reliant rely. [39:38]

That is because when Allah alone was called upon, you disbelieved, and when associates were given to Him, you believed; so judgment belongs to Allah, the High, the Great. He it is Who shows you His signs and sends down for you sustenance from heaven, and none minds but he who turns (to Him) again and again. Therefore call upon Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, though the unbelievers are averse [40:12-14]

And your Lord says: Call upon Me, I will answer you; surely those who are too proud for My service shall soon enter hell abased. [40:60]

And who is in greater error than he who calls besides Allah upon those that will not answer him till the day of resurrection and they are heedless of their call? And when men are gathered together they shall be their enemies, and shall be deniers of their worshipping (them). [47:5-6]

And certainly We created man, and We know what his mind suggests to him, and We are nearer to him than his life-vein. [50:16]

Allah, there is no god but He; and upon Allah, then, let the believers rely. [64:13]

And give him sustenance from whence he thinks not; and whoever trusts in Allah, He is sufficient for him; surely Allah attains His purpose; Allah indeed has appointed a measure for everything. [65:3]

And that the mosques are Allah's, therefore call not upon any one with Allah:

And that when the servant of Allah stood up calling upon Him, they wellnigh crowded him (to death).

Say: I only call upon my Lord, and I do not associate any one with Him.

Say: I do not control for you evil or good.

Say: Surely no one can protect me against Allah, nor can I find besides Him any place of refuge:

(It is) only a delivering (of communications) from Allah and His messages; and whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger surely he shall have the fire of hell to abide therein for a long time. [72:18-23]

Edited by Haydar Husayn

Indeed , we should always call upon Allah to receive guidance from him .. his guidance may be send by an Imam ... we can as well call the Imam for help . You have to make the distinction between worship and calling for help.

because if calling for help was forbidden , i would never have called my beloved mother to help me when i was a child .. i wouldn't cry for her to come . Allah has created us in such a way that we need each other , we need the Imam to help us ..

When we call ''Ya Mahdi adrikni'' , it's as if we are calling ''Ya Mahdi help me overcome this situation because you are the hujjat of Allah that can help me quickly '' or ''Ya Mahdi, insert me in your prayers ''

what unifies shiasm is that we have ''hope'' we live for that ''hope'' to come ..we await it .

Indeed , we should always call upon Allah to receive guidance from him .. his guidance may be send by an Imam ... we can as well call the Imam for help . You have to make the distinction between worship and calling for help.

because if calling for help was forbidden , i would never have called my beloved mother to help me when i was a child .. i wouldn't cry for her to come . Allah has created us in such a way that we need each other , we need the Imam to help us ..

When we call ''Ya Mahdi adrikni'' , it's as if we are calling ''Ya Mahdi help me overcome this situation because you are the hujjat of Allah that can help me quickly '' or ''Ya Mahdi, insert me in your prayers ''

what unifies shiasm is that we have ''hope'' we live for that ''hope'' to come ..we await it .

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. The Quran is very clear on this issue. Do not call on other than Allah, full stop. This of course is not the same thing as asking for your mother. The kind of calling many people do towards the Imams (as) is exactly the type of calling that is reserved for Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Aside from that, there isn't anywhere near enough evidence from the ahadith to support this practice.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. The Quran is very clear on this issue. Do not call on other than Allah, full stop. This of course is not the same thing as asking for your mother. The kind of calling many people do towards the Imams (as) is exactly the type of calling that is reserved for Allah سبحانه وتعالى.

Aside from that, there isn't anywhere near enough evidence from the ahadith to support this practice.

The quran meant to not call upon jesus (Christianity ) or do not call upon Judaism .. but just upon Allah ..

each time i make a tasbih ''Ya Umal baneen'' .. all my hajjat realize ..and so do other people . it's not coincidence , i don't need a proof , i just need faith .

People tend to ask for Ahadith and ahadith.. but these ahadiths (sayings in arabic) are precious and each of them is written purpose . Back in the days , these writing materials (..cause they used to write on the skin of the animal.. ) weren't available for everyone and Imam wouldn't write ''Call me and I'll answer you'' That's just illogical to write that...but he would certainly say ''Ask me, and I'll insert you in my prayers ''

The quran meant to not call upon jesus (Christianity ) or do not call upon Judaism .. but just upon Allah ..

So Allah gives a very strong and decisive message to the polytheists, and the ahlul kitab, but then completely different message to us? Anyway, the verses make it clear we are being addressed as well. And why shouldn't people call on Jesus (as), if it is allowed to call on non-infallibles?

each time i make a tasbih ''Ya Umal baneen'' .. all my hajjat realize ..and so do other people . it's not coincidence , i don't need a proof , i just need faith .

People of every religion say this. Are you saying that if you didn't call only on Allah (swt) then you don't think your duas would be answered? That goes against the promise Allah makes in the Quran.

And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way. [2:186]

People tend to ask for Ahadith and ahadith.. but these ahadiths (sayings in arabic) are precious and each of them is written purpose . Back in the days , these writing materials (..cause they used to write on the skin of the animal.. ) weren't available for everyone and Imam wouldn't write ''Call me and I'll answer you'' That's just illogical to write that...but he would certainly say ''Ask me, and I'll insert you in my prayers ''

Almost all our ahadith were written down during the time of the later Imams (as), when paper was very much available, and ahadith were written down and recorded. Even if as you say an Imam may not tell his followers to call on him, although I don't really see why not, then he could have taught his followers to call on the Prophet (pbuh) or Imam Ali (as). The Imams (as) themselves could have done this, but they didn't.

Sister, I advise you to heed the clear message of the Quran, and shun these practices that go against it, and don't even have any backing from the reported teachings of the Imams (as). Read the verses I posted very carefully, because they make it clear calling on other than Allah (swt) is wrong, and they answer every objection. Think about why you call on other than Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì? Did you read it in the Quran? Obviously not. Did you read it in the ahadith? Unlikely. So was it because you saw those who came before you doing it? If so, then:

And when it is said to them, Follow what Allah has revealed, they say: Nay! we follow what we found our fathers upon. What! and though their fathers had no sense at all, nor did they follow the right way. [2:170]

And when it is said to them, Come to what Allah has revealed and to the Messenger, they say: That on which we found our fathers is sufficient for us. What! even though their fathers knew nothing and did not follow the right way. [5:104]

And when they commit an indecency they say: We found our fathers doing this, and Allah has enjoined it on us. Say: Surely Allah does not enjoin indecency; do you say against Allah what you do not know? [7:28]

Nay! they say: We found our fathers on a course, and surely we are guided by their footsteps. [43:22]

i don't think you're understanding what i am saying .. i gave you some very good points , but you keep refuting .. This is not called a discussion , it is called a debate .. and i can continue until the duhoor of the Imam if I don't stop now ..and trust me, you won't change your view .

i don't think you're understanding what i am saying .. i gave you some very good points , but you keep refuting .. This is not called a discussion , it is called a debate .. and i can continue until the duhoor of the Imam if I don't stop now ..and trust me, you won't change your view .

It's hard for me to change my view if you don't give me any proof. I have given you mine, and as the Quran says "bring your proof if you are truthful". You can't just say proof isn't needed, all you need is faith. Because in that case, the Christians and the Jews could have said that as well.

And they say: None shall enter the garden (or paradise) except he who is a Jew or a Christian. These are their vain desires. Say: Bring your proof if you are truthful. [2:111]

Or, Who originates the creation, then reproduces it and Who gives you sustenance from the heaven and the earth. Is there a god With Allah? Say: Bring your proof if you are truthful. [27:64]

Most of the verse you quote are directed at specific individuals, particularly the idolatrous pagans who prayed to statues and many false gods. As far as calling on those whom God actually ordained and sent, I see very little evidence against calling on them. You take Quranic verses targeting pagans and try to make them seem general. Prove to me that Allah says "don't call on my servants to help you by my blessing and permission," and not just simply "stop worshiping other gods and thinking I have issued offspring from myself, whether you think that offspring is some pagan god or one of my sent ones."

Yes, God asks us to call upon him, yes he asks not to worship anyone besides him, he says not to take any other gods beside him. We know this, but in all these posts that I see you make, you quote many Quranic verses that are directed at specific individuals who were worshipping other gods or taking God's actual sent ones such as angels and prophets as being gods themselves, not those believing in servants of God who watch over us and help us and answer our requests by HIS own permission and blessing.

Also, we're not "calling on anyone but God," whether we are praying to God directly or praying to his sent ones, we are calling on HIM regardless. there's no difference. The difference this has with the pagan ideas of polytheism at the time was that polytheism believed that even if there was a much greater god, the actions of the different gods could veto the decisions of other gods, including the king of gods.

(bismillah)

(salam)

[shakir 43:86] And those whom they call upon besides Him have no authority for intercession, but he who bears witness of the truth and they know (him).

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 43:86]

Refer to the commentary of Baqarah: 48 for intercession. Also refer to Baqarah: 255; Maryam: 87; TaHa: 109; Yunus: 3; Anbiya : 28 and Saba: 23.

According to this verse he who bears witness to the truth has the power of intercession. Refer to the commentary of Hud : 17 and Rad : 43 according to which Ali ibn abi Talib is the witness. As the greatest witness (shahid) Imam Husayn (refer to the commentary of Saffat: 107 for dhibhin azim) has the power of intercession.

(bismillah)

(salam)

[shakir 43:86] And those whom they call upon besides Him have no authority for intercession, but he who bears witness of the truth and they know (him).

That intercession is on the Day of Judgement, and has nothing to do with calling on other than Allah, which is clearly against the Quran.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 43:86]

Refer to the commentary of Baqarah: 48 for intercession. Also refer to Baqarah: 255; Maryam: 87; TaHa: 109; Yunus: 3; Anbiya : 28 and Saba: 23.

According to this verse he who bears witness to the truth has the power of intercession. Refer to the commentary of Hud : 17 and Rad : 43 according to which Ali ibn abi Talib is the witness. As the greatest witness (shahid) Imam Husayn (refer to the commentary of Saffat: 107 for dhibhin azim) has the power of intercession.

No hadith from Imams quoted = speculation.

Sayed Moustafa Al-Qazwini has an eloquent yet simple explanation to the concept of intercession in his book Inquires about Shia'a Islam.

From the Islamic Educational Center of Orange Country: Pages 70-77 in the PDF file.

http://iecoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Inquiries_About_Shia_Islam_2nd_Ed.pdf

That intercession is on the Day of Judgement, and has nothing to do with calling on other than Allah, which is clearly against the Quran.

prove it's only referring to the Day of Judgement. Whenever we bring you anything to suggest that intercession occurs now and today, you just write it off as just referring to the Day of Judgement, but I never see you bring anyting that verifies that it is referring to intercession on Day of Judgement and Day of Judgement ALONE.

----------

Those who sustain the Throne (of Allah) and those around it Sing Glory and Praise to their Lord; believe in Him; and implore Forgiveness for those who believe: "Our Lord! Thy Reach is over all things, in Mercy and Knowledge. Forgive, then, those who turn in Repentance, and follow Thy Path; and preserve them from the Penalty of the Blazing Fire!

"And grant, our Lord! that they enter the Gardens of Eternity, which Thou hast promised to them, and to the righteous among their fathers, their wives, and their posterity! For Thou art (He), the Exalted in Might, Full of Wisdom.

"And preserve them from (all) ills; and any whom Thou dost preserve from ills that Day,- on them wilt Thou have bestowed Mercy indeed: and that will be truly (for them) the highest Achievement".

Sura 40:7-9 (Yusuf Ali)

-----------

If that isn't intercession happening in real time I don't know what is. And there's also the situation with Prophet Yaqub (as) interceding for his sons

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23

On 2/7/2012 at 10:38 PM, Allahuakbar said:

Sayed Moustafa Al-Qazwini has an eloquent yet simple explanation to the concept of intercession in his book Inquires about Shia'a Islam.

From the Islamic Educational Center of Orange Country: Pages 70-77 in the PDF file.

http://iecoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Inquiries_About_Shia_Islam_2nd_Ed.pdf

(bismillah)

(salam)

Thank you. See pages 62-69 for intercession by Prophet SA and Imams AS. The 12th Imam AJ starts on page 70.

And blessed is He Whose is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and what is between them, and with Him is the knowledge of the hour, and to Him shall you be brought back. [43:85]

And those whom they call upon besides Him have no authority for intercession, but he who bears witness of the truth and they know (him). [43:86]

And those whom they call upon besides Him have no authority for intercession, but he who bears witness of the truth and they know (him). [43:86]

Again, where are we calling on any "besides " that is "to the exclusion of," Allah? You're claiming we are ascribing to them an independence and from God and authority that we don't even believe anyone has.

This is referring to the polytheists and their system in which if God wanted to visit a calamity on someone the collective force of the other gods would veto it, regardless of if it was his express will or not. Intercession on the behalf of someone to Allah, pleading with him, is not vetoing his actions. You need to research your polytheism.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23