Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Lack Of Sincere Intention In Acts Of Worship

Rate this topic

kareema

• Advanced Member

Assalamu alaykum,

It has been emphasized that a person should have the sincere intention to please only Allah and nothing else when it comes to the acts of worship such as praying etc. In fact having the correct intention is a requirement of the validity of the action.

What would you say for a person who doesn't pray because he/she feels that if he/she would pray he would be a hypocrite? So until he/she has a pure intention to pray only for the sake of Allah he will not pray at all. On the other hand how can a person gain the pure intention? How should the person concider those thoughts of hypocrisy if he/she performs acts of worship but doesn't really feel anything while doing them?

Wa salaam.

• Veteran Member

Salam

If everyone waited to have pure intention until they pray then you might have just a hand full of people around the world that pray. That's why we go on a spiritual journey to perfect all are acts of worship. The goal is to pray where nothing exists but Allah(swt) but to reach that goal you have to start praying. Its hard to become a believer over night. Its better to pray with no concentration then not pray at all because eventually you will begin to concentrate and iblis eventually will leave u alone plus also your showing Allah(swt) that your trying and if you take the first step towards Allah(swt) he'll take twenty steps toward you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam

"The best form of worship to Allah (SWT) is not to make a show of it." - Imam Ali (as)

Personally, do not give up on Salat if you feel you are a hypocrite. Ignore the hypocritical feeling. I'm almost sure that its Shaytaan.

Just worship Allah and keep in mind you're doing it because Allah has said so.

You can't predict if you're going to do it for someone else. You got to do it and I know if you try to do it with correct intention then Allah will accept it.

Wassalam bro

• Advanced Member

agree with what others have said.

the kind of practical steps that help to strengthen ur prayer into something meaningful is:

1.make sure u understand everything ur reciting (i know this sounds pretty obvious but even arabic speakers dont always fully appreciate the meaning of the verses they are reciting)

2.accept that ur prayer is not going to change overnight. it will evolve over time. start by making sure u focus on the meaning of every word u recite for one out of the rakat in the prayer ur praying and then gradually increase the number of rakat where ur head is totally clear of any trivial things and ur only concentrating on the beauty of the words

3.start seeing salah as a blessing and not a chore. think of it as a mercy from God that He swt has given u the opportunity to ask for whatever ur heart desires

• 2 months later...

Practise makes perfect. Therefore, practise prayer till you perfect prayer. Some days you might not be 100% in the body whereas someday you might not be 100% in the mind. Yet it is imperative that you at least complete your Wajib obligations (for yourself) so you might please the Almighty. Hope this has helped !!

• 5 months later...
  • Basic Members

Sometimes, you have to ignore that voice in the back of your head and just be obedient.

Allah has told us to pray, so pray. Don't think about it, because Allah knows better than us.

Imaam Ali (a) said that we should have hope *only* in Allah.

If you truly had hope only in Allah, then you would trust God and be sincere in obedience to him.

-Hope this helps

• Advanced Member

A hypocrite is not a moslem, he knows himself and he is not worried about his prayer.

What matters is your first intention when you say "Allah o Akbar". That should be purely for God and nothing else.

Moreover, as far as the intention is concerned, who can say that he has a one hundred percent pure intention for God in his prayers?

So, don't worry and pray.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

i like to imagine that their is this noor (Allah) infront of me, and then i would sometimes feel humble when i do sujud towards this noor. if you want to purify your intention, you should first get to know Allah better, read the Quran and the traditions of the prophet (pbuh) & ahlu albayt (as) . Make lots of dua'a for Allah to guide you the right path, be detailed in your dua'a, do not be too broad, tell Allah (SWT) exactly what you want.

salam :D

• Advanced Member

zulaikah fell in love with yusuf (as) and after getting married, she fell in love with Allah (swt) and forgot the love for yusuf (as)

one act leads to another, whether you dont practice what you preach or you pray with errors, have hope as he (swt) is hope when there is no hope and inshallah you will eventually get there

• Veteran Member

Assalamu alaykum,

It has been emphasized that a person should have the sincere intention to please only Allah and nothing else when it comes to the acts of worship such as praying etc. In fact having the correct intention is a requirement of the validity of the action.

What would you say for a person who doesn't pray because he/she feels that if he/she would pray he would be a hypocrite? So until he/she has a pure intention to pray only for the sake of Allah he will not pray at all. On the other hand how can a person gain the pure intention? How should the person concider those thoughts of hypocrisy if he/she performs acts of worship but doesn't really feel anything while doing them?

Wa salaam.

(salam)

Allah(swt) is Witness to ALL things and is NOT fooled. What is "sincere" is done for yourself and not done "to be seen".

"done for yourself" comes from the revelation that to ask to-come-through-safely on the Last Day and have a place is jenna is something you and I are entitled to be selfish about.

Hypocracy is something to be careful about. True, as revealed, hypocrites go to the bottom of Hell, but these are mostly the liars about their belief.

The hither and thither type of hypocracy is when you debate yourself into doing nothing. Exempli gratius: 'I wasn't a perfect person today, so maybe I should not pray'. And similar stuff that your shatan can throw in.

As revealed, salah is something Allah(swt) wants to see. When no one else is around, who else is going to comment?